Help us with the rendezvous site bug!

Discuss WolfQuest (the game, forum, etc.).

Moderators: Neamara, paperpaws, Frodo1

loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

Help us with the rendezvous site bug!

Post by loboLoco » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:01 am

We're trying to fix the bug that occasionally occurs when you reach the rendezvous site, preventing the conclusion zoom-up and popup text. We've gotten some bug reports and log files, but unfortunately the log files don't show any errors, and we still can't reproduce the bug and identify the cause. We'd welcome any help from players. We assume that some particular combination of player actions trigger it, but we can't figure out what they are. What we really need is a reliable way to make it happen, so we can examine everything happening at that moment. So if anyone would like to tackle that in the next few days, please send your results to us at bugs@wolfquest.org

thanks!

Edit:
If you experience this glitch, please also fill out the form below and post it here, as we're trying to accumulate info on what may cause it. You don't have to fill out everything, but the more you're able to fill out, the more it helps us.

Code: Select all

[i]Did you host or join this server?[/i]
[i]Was the host playing on PC or mobile?[/i]
[i]How big was the server (player cap)?[/i]
[i]How many players were on?[/i]
[i]Do you know how many were playing on PC vs. mobile?[/i]
[i]Was it a private or public game?[/i]
[i]What type of chat did it use?[/i]
[i]What densite was chosen?[/i]
[i]What was the difficulty level?[/i]
[i]Was the time of day ever changed, and if so, how many times/from what to what?[/i]
[i]How many pups were alive at the end of the game?[/i]
[i]If any died, how did they die?[/i]
[i]Approximately how many elk were hunted over the course of the game?[/i]
[i]Did any other glitches occur, intentional or otherwise (i.e. players picking up multiple pups, etc.), and if so, what were they?[/i]
[i]When the first player reaches the rendezvous site, the rendezvous popup (listing who's in the site and who isn't) should appear -- does it appear for them or not until the next player arrives?[/i]
[i]Did anyone howl or rally on the journey, and if so, who and where (host vs. joined players, mobile users vs. pc)?[/i]
[i]Anything else notable?[/i]
Last edited by loboLoco on Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:40 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Adding incident form
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

ForeverEverest
Yearling
Yearling
Name: Everest/Evie

Re: Help us with the rendezvous site bug!

Post by ForeverEverest » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:46 pm

I do not know much about this bug, but It has happened in servers I've joined before. One time at the end of a raise pups server, someone said "Don't howl", so I assume it's something to do with howling. One time when the bug did occur, the host was holding a pup at the rendezvous site and howled while holding it, I think. I haven't confirmed this, but it might be something to do with that. I will let you know if I find out anything else about it, and if anyone wants to help investigate, I hope this information helps you discover the problem.
╔════--══--══--════╗
The howling cold wind,
the soft summer breeze.
They remind me a little,
of chalk and cheese.

╚════--══--══--════╝
Amazing avatar by: LupinzPack

Frodo1
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator
Name: Frodo/Jay

Post by Frodo1 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:55 pm

It may help if we could do some organized testing on this... would anyone be up for that? I may be able to pitch in later today and help out, but if any of you guys want to set up your own games too I'm sure any amount of help will be welcome...
JayPlays on YouTube
Nature and wildlife gaming videos the whole family can enjoy!
Join the adventure here
Av/Sig © me

TimberRaven
Name: Kjados dont eat that

Post by TimberRaven » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:03 pm

I have encountered it, singleplayer and multiplayer. I have no idea what could cause it. And there are a LOT of pup bugs and glitches. It took me a few moments to recognize the one you described. I have seen the thing pop up for me, but one of the wolves were moving around freely, and not howling.
Frodo1 wrote:It may help if we could do some organized testing on this... would anyone be up for that? I may be able to pitch in later today and help out, but if any of you guys want to set up your own games too I'm sure any amount of help will be welcome...
EDIT: Currently hosting a game! RendezvousBugTest
I'm interested. When was this posted?
From white to red, from red to green;
From green to yellow, from yellow to black.

And then a mighty wave
Of every pleasant color.

Frodo1
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator
Name: Frodo/Jay

Post by Frodo1 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:23 pm

TimberRaven wrote:I have encountered it, singleplayer and multiplayer. I have no idea what could cause it. And there are a LOT of pup bugs and glitches. It took me a few moments to recognize the one you described. I have seen the thing pop up for me, but one of the wolves were moving around freely, and not howling.
Frodo1 wrote:It may help if we could do some organized testing on this... would anyone be up for that? I may be able to pitch in later today and help out, but if any of you guys want to set up your own games too I'm sure any amount of help will be welcome...
EDIT: Currently hosting a game! RendezvousBugTest
I'm interested. When was this posted?
I'm not running the game currently, but I'll update it again if I put it back up...
JayPlays on YouTube
Nature and wildlife gaming videos the whole family can enjoy!
Join the adventure here
Av/Sig © me

loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

Post by loboLoco » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:29 am

Here are the conditions that one player has identified is most likely to cause the bug:

* Four players
* Challenging difficulty
* Bison Peak den.
* Non-host player enters rendezvous site while carrying a pup, then howls constantly while others come in.
* Not playing a saved game (my guess is that reloading a saved game clears out some hidden glitch which causes the bug to occur at the rendezvous site)

Those first three items just came in, so worth trying next.
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

duskypack
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Dusk

Post by duskypack » Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:33 pm

That explains why I’ve never encountered it - I’ve always played my MP games on Bring It On with the Aspen Heights den (I’ve attempted to trigger it as a non-host, but it doesn’t work. I think it’d be safe to rule that out). Will see if I can test later today!
¯~_°. .°_~¯
Night is now falling, so ends this day.
The road is now calling, and I must away.
Over hill and under tree, through lands where never light has shone.
By silver streams that run down to the sea.
¯~_°. .°_~¯

Lyrics - The Last Goodbye by Billy Boyd
(from the third Hobbit movie)
Av/Sig - Koa/Raven

Paxis
Pup
Pup

Post by Paxis » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:17 pm

I've experienced the glitch several times in multiplayer, which involves players howling before everyone has reached the rendezvous site.

´*.¨¯`**¨¯`*
Username in-game is Paxis and wolf is Azura

TimberRaven

Post by TimberRaven » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:47 pm

loboLoco wrote:Here are the conditions that one player has identified is most likely to cause the bug:

* Four players
* Challenging difficulty
* Bison Peak den.
* Non-host player enters rendezvous site while carrying a pup, then howls constantly while others come in.
* Not playing a saved game (my guess is that reloading a saved game clears out some hidden glitch which causes the bug to occur at the rendezvous site)

Those first three items just came in, so worth trying next.
I don't really play Challenging, I don't really pick Bison Peak, but I always do new games on mulitplayer. The person above me who said something about the people howling --when that happens in my multiplayer games, the glitch is rigged!

And then a mighty wave
Of every pleasant color.

loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

Post by loboLoco » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:36 am

With Frodo1's help, we're trying to get more detailed testing -- so please see my first post which has detailed questions, as we think that one of these variables is the trigger, but we've not yet been able to reproduce it in testing. I know it happens a lot, but there's something else happening besides howling at the rendezvous site.
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

tatd_2217
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Name: Taylor

Post by tatd_2217 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:40 am

[quote="Hematite"]I do not know much about this bug, but It has happened in servers I've joined before. One time at the end of a raise pups server, someone said "Don't howl", so I assume it's something to do with howling.

I've been told the "no howling" thing is because you can't pick pups up if they're howling.. I've noticed that even after you howl the pups will repeat the action until you can pick them up. I'm not sure if this the problem they're talking about but that is one annoying bug.

ArgentsArrows
Pup
Pup
Name: Rea

Post by ArgentsArrows » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:03 am

tatd_2217 wrote:
Hematite wrote:I do not know much about this bug, but It has happened in servers I've joined before. One time at the end of a raise pups server, someone said "Don't howl", so I assume it's something to do with howling.

I've been told the "no howling" thing is because you can't pick pups up if they're howling.. I've noticed that even after you howl the pups will repeat the action until you can pick them up. I'm not sure if this the problem they're talking about but that is one annoying bug.
That's also part of the reason, but if someone howls before the game is ready at the end of the journey it does tend to glitch it.

I've experienced this in servers made for four players, though the difficulty really doesn't matter I think. I only play arduous and bring it on! so it doesn't ONLY happen on challenging, if that helps.
the curves of your lips rewrite history

TimberRaven

Post by TimberRaven » Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:24 pm

ArgentsArrows wrote:
tatd_2217 wrote:
Hematite wrote:I do not know much about this bug, but It has happened in servers I've joined before. One time at the end of a raise pups server, someone said "Don't howl", so I assume it's something to do with howling.

That's also part of the reason, but if someone howls before the game is ready at the end of the journey it does tend to glitch it.

I've experienced this in servers made for four players, though the difficulty really doesn't matter I think. I only play arduous and bring it on! so it doesn't
ONLY happen on challenging, if that helps.
I play with all 2, 4, 6, and sometimes 8 players and it happens in all games, no matter the difficulty.

Oh! Howling BEFORE the rendezvous arrival helps pull the trigger? I found a loophole where you can mark your territory by howling in less than a minute. You press "H", turn to the side, and press "H" again. (Note: I am on P.C., so it may not work for mobile) do that in fast-motion, and tadaaa! Territory's marked! I wonder if doing that would mess things up, because that is a LOT of howling before going to rendezvous.

And then a mighty wave
Of every pleasant color.

loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

Post by loboLoco » Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:06 pm

We think we've fixed this (though the cause is still a bit mysterious). It's in the new patch we just released on Steam -- and only Steam today, as we would like to get feedback on it before releasing it on other storefronts/platforms. The host must be running this latest patch, and so it might still occur if you join a game hosted by someone with the older version. If anyone who's got the game from Steam can try to reproduce it this weekend, I'd appreciate that much.
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

TimberRaven

Post by TimberRaven » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:28 pm

loboLoco wrote:We think we've fixed this (though the cause is still a bit mysterious). It's in the new patch we just released on Steam -- and only Steam today, as we would like to get feedback on it before releasing it on other storefronts/platforms. The host must be running this latest patch, and so it might still occur if you join a game hosted by someone with the older version. If anyone who's got the game from Steam can try to reproduce it this weekend, I'd appreciate that much.
Today? Do I have the patch? I play Steam P.C., so I'm curious.

And then a mighty wave
Of every pleasant color.

Return to “General WolfQuest Discussion”