WolfQuest on Consoles

Discuss WolfQuest (the game, forum, etc.).

Moderators: Neamara, Frodo1

rainiepainie
Pup
Pup

WolfQuest on Consoles

Post by rainiepainie » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:58 pm

I'm just curious, would you ever consider adding WolfQuest onto the Nintendo Switch in the future? It'd be so awesome to play on the go on a device with more gaming power than a smartphone!
Last edited by Neamara on Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Slight title tweak to broaden the discussion.

DinoDogDude209
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Re: Nintendo Switch Version?

Post by DinoDogDude209 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:33 pm

rainiepainie wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:58 pm
I'm just curious, would you ever consider adding WolfQuest onto the Nintendo Switch in the future? It'd be so awesome to play on the go on a device with more gaming power than a smartphone!
I believe the team has stated before that they do want to make the game compatible with more devices, but any ports to Nintendo switch or any console would have to come after WolfQuest 3 and probably after Tower Fall. I would personally like to see a console port of WolfQuest 3 at some point, especially once the next generation of consoles is released.

Zawki

Post by Zawki » Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:36 am

Although it does sound like a bit of a stretch, I think a Nintendo Switch version would be wonderful. In reality, it could work a lot like it does on PC. Of course, the Nintendo Switch should be perfectly capable of running WolfQuest 3, and I can quite easily imagine Amethyst Mountain being available for download in the Nintendo eshop with game expansions available as DLC.

As great as that could be, I am guessing there could be a few complications with adding another platform to WolfQuest, but who knows, maybe someday.
┌────────────────┤├────────────────┐
When the sky is clear and day has turned to night,
the land is touched by a beautiful moonlight.
└────────────────────────────────────┘

paperpaws
Former WQ Moderator

Post by paperpaws » Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:44 am

I cannot find a source and might be misremembering things but I thought that for the time being, Nintendo Switch would not really be a feasible option given 1) the amount of work that would go into a port like that and 2) the money involved in publishing on the Nintendo shop. (Again, take this more as an semi-educated guess from someone with awful memory than as undisputed fact, though).

That said, I do wonder how feasible the gameplay on a Switch would be - I think the amount of buttons should suffice, but WolfQuest obviously has a lot of keybinds... We can dream!

LeeMarston
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Name: Lee, Sockeye

Post by LeeMarston » Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:08 pm

paperpaws wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:44 am
I cannot find a source and might be misremembering things but I thought that for the time being, Nintendo Switch would not really be a feasible option given 1) the amount of work that would go into a port like that and 2) the money involved in publishing on the Nintendo shop. (Again, take this more as an semi-educated guess from someone with awful memory than as undisputed fact, though).

That said, I do wonder how feasible the gameplay on a Switch would be - I think the amount of buttons should suffice, but WolfQuest obviously has a lot of keybinds... We can dream!
I agree, I heard somewhere that the programming might be daunting. If it did come to fruition then I imagine it'd run similar to the mobile versions of WQ. I would gladly rebuy the game with DLC if it came to Switch, but to be completely honest, I kind of don't see it happening :oops: Considering the time needed to optimize WQ for console (especially if it came to PS and XBox as well) and the short lifespan of consoles (usually 3-5 years), the console ports could be released at the end of the consoles' lifetime. That would mean fewer sales. Given, I'm sure the dev team would do their best but game development is time-consuming and I'm trying to be realistic with my hopes of a Switch port. It could be 2023 before we see WQ on a platform like the Switch. So in short it would probably take a good while-- but if it came out sooner I wouldn't mind! :P

Like I mentioned, I don't think controls would be an issue gameplay-wise since you could hold/click in the L stick to run and tilt it to crouch. Bite/carry could be B, Howl could be A, etc. And buttons could be mappable so players could prioritize their frequently used emotes and commands.

DinoDogDude209
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by DinoDogDude209 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:40 pm

LeeMarston wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:08 pm
paperpaws wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:44 am

I agree, I heard somewhere that the programming might be daunting. If it did come to fruition then I imagine it'd run similar to the mobile versions of WQ. I would gladly rebuy the game with DLC if it came to Switch, but to be completely honest, I kind of don't see it happening :oops: Considering the time needed to optimize WQ for console (especially if it came to PS and XBox as well) and the short lifespan of consoles (usually 3-5 years), the console ports could be released at the end of the consoles' lifetime. That would mean fewer sales. Given, I'm sure the dev team would do their best but game development is time-consuming and I'm trying to be realistic with my hopes of a Switch port. It could be 2023 before we see WQ on a platform like the Switch. So in short it would probably take a good while-- but if it came out sooner I wouldn't mind! :P
I agree. I don't think that a port of WolfQuest onto any other platforms like the Switch is likely within the next few years. We still don't know when WolfQuest 3 will get a full release on PC/Mac (early access is pretty close to being finished, but even that is unknown) yet alone when it will be released on mobile platforms. Not to mention that Tower Fall will also be under development once all that is done, which will take up time and resources as well. While the next generation of consoles looks nice, they'd probably be defunct by the time a port onto them could be finished. We don't need another disastrous console port like the Xbox port of PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds, where the port was rushed to meet the holiday season and was an incomplete mess when it first launched. So while I would definitely be willing to buy the game again on a different platform, I personally can't see it happening in the next few years. Maybe it could happen in the far future, but it's unlikely that a WolfQuest console port or Nintendo Switch port will become a reality anytime soon.

Return to “General WolfQuest Discussion”