[3.0] Hunting: General Discussion

Discuss WolfQuest (the game, forum, etc.).

Moderators: Neamara, Frodo1

Flamesky
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

[3.0] Hunting: General Discussion

Post by Flamesky » Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:26 am

For those of you that have started playing the Anniversary Edition of Wolfquest, what kinds of prey have you encountered? It's a very different set of challenges and dynamics from the previous version, like playing a completely different game.

For me, it's tough to concentrate on just one elk to target due to the larger numbers of the herd and that they scatter and run in all directions. I found a spike bull in the first elk herd I found. The calves were an interesting challenge given that they are guarded by a cow elk who would start attacking you when you came close.

What are your experiences with hunting and what advice would you give to players who are trying to find prey animals or successfully finish a hunt?
Last edited by Koa on Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: merged with similar thread, title changed
<<<<<>>>>>
The wolf pack runs as one and together we are stronger
<<<<<>>>>>

PearlyReborn
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Meg

Re: Hunting Elk in Wolfquest 3

Post by PearlyReborn » Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:42 am

Hunting is amazing, I love the extra challenge without it being too stressful. So far I've taken down mule deer, elk calves, cow elk, bull elk and a moose calf! The bull elk I found before I got a mate, so it took a lot of work to bring it down. The camera focusing feature is a total life saver. Overall, I think WQ3's hunting mechanics are the perfect blend of fun and challenging.
To a new world of gods and monsters!

YellowstoneWolves1
Pup
Pup
Name: Snake

Post by YellowstoneWolves1 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:54 am

I've encountered some mule deer, a bull moose, and the Raspberry Herd. I got an elk calf from the herd, and it was really fun to deal with the mother! I hunted a mule deer doe for a minute, mainly to see it stotting. I gave the bull moose space, I'm not doing that alone XD
¤÷(`[¤* *¤]´)÷¤ Snake To His Father ¤÷(`[¤* *¤]´)÷¤
▽ ▿
"We are monsters, rejects that nobody wanted. Now we want revenge for those who hated us and disgraced us. Soon all will see my family has grown stronger than if we'd stayed at our old homes, so much so that we may as well thank them!"

¤÷(`[¤* *¤]´)÷¤¤÷(`[¤* *¤]´)÷¤
Sig–Black Burn

Atlatl
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Atlatl » Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:10 pm

I've taken out a mule doe, bull elk, and elk calf so far. I love the challenge and found the bull elk to be hardest, the mule deer, and then the elk calf to be easiest. By far the hardest thing is actually locating the elk herd. Mule deer seem to be fairly common and I've found two bull elk herds so far, but took me forever (and lots of random wolf fights along the way) to find the Ricegrass herd

Aaka2013
Pup
Pup

Post by Aaka2013 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:50 pm

I have found the herds but for some reason when i go to bit them it wont bit any tips on what i should do
Alpha Female

LamarWolf
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by LamarWolf » Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:46 pm

To really hunt elk well use the camera lock, thats been a life saver. Hunting elk for me personally is that its quite easy whose you've locked on and got a couple of bites on it. I have not gone after a moose for safety reasons but I've taken down mule deer as a lone wolf and they're really easy I haven't gone after a bull elk yet but I will soon.
Life is full of death
It is the way of life
Predator and prey
I bring life and I take it
That is the way of nature

ThirdRoulette
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by ThirdRoulette » Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:38 pm

I've been hunting mostly elk calves, took down a mule deer calf once. I've been playing on Accurate mode so my advice mostly applies there: I find that, in most cases, patience is key. To wait for the exact right moment where the calf is running far enough from the mother that you can get a good few bites in before she catches up to you. It's really easy to get excited, especially when the calf is on very low health, but lacking patience has often led me into reckless decision-making that made me take more damage than necessary (And, by extension, made my recovery time longer in-between hunts; I've had to scavenge carcasses and aggressively hunt hares because I couldn't risk hunting big prey again at low health).

Phasoli
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf
Name: EMK

Post by Phasoli » Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:40 pm

WolfQuest 3's new hunting mechanics really does set you into a whole new game, doesn't it? I've been playing on the challenging setting, and ho-boy! Either the elk are too crafty, or I'm a terrible, over-confident hunter. This iteration of the game really teaches you the virtue of patience and strategy. There were a few times where I've gone hungry on low health, meagerly surviving on hares, haha.

Needless to say, it's been such a thrilling and captivating experience thus far!
||,.°`°.,,.°`°.,||ЖЖЖ||,.°`°.,,.°`°.,||
Writing is a job, a talent,
but it's also the place to go inside your head.
It's the imaginary friend you drink tea
with in the afternoon.
||,.°`°.,||Ж||,.°`°.,||
sig/quote © Kamaal/Ann Patchett

Rebela
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Name: Rebela

Post by Rebela » Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:03 pm

Phasoli wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:40 pm
WolfQuest 3's new hunting mechanics really does set you into a whole new game, doesn't it? I've been playing on the challenging setting, and ho-boy! Either the elk are too crafty, or I'm a terrible, over-confident hunter. This iteration of the game really teaches you the virtue of patience and strategy. There were a few times where I've gone hungry on low health, meagerly surviving on hares, haha.

Needless to say, it's been such a thrilling and captivating experience thus far!
Same here! I started my first game on challenging, just to see how everything would react.
If you want some tips for hunting, I have a strategy or two that actually works when taking down a calf [both solo or with a mate]!
- I've found out that growling and making aggressive postures, noises, and movements slowly start to make the elk uneasy. When the mother comes at you to try and push you away, run around her and get a quick bite in on the calf. If you get the shoulder it might run away and give you more time to deal damage. If you get the throat, do it quick before the mother can react! Sometimes it works well to attack the mother to slow her down, then go for the calf. It confuses her I think!
- Always go for the shoulders of a bull elk when it runs away. If you can, bite the shoulder then the back legs as it keeps it scared and running rather than defensive! Grab the throat when it stands still if you can, without getting injured - this scares them a ton and it takes a lot of damage without dealing much to you, especially if it's already hurt.

Happy hunting C:
"Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves."
SteamDeviantARTToyhou.se

Phasoli
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf
Name: EMK

Post by Phasoli » Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:56 pm

Thank you for these tips! I’ll have to try some of these out.

Luckily, I’ve gotten a little better at hunting elk calves and cow elk. It all seems to boil down to patience and strategy—two traits that I need to learn to strengthen, haha.
||,.°`°.,,.°`°.,||ЖЖЖ||,.°`°.,,.°`°.,||
Writing is a job, a talent,
but it's also the place to go inside your head.
It's the imaginary friend you drink tea
with in the afternoon.
||,.°`°.,||Ж||,.°`°.,||
sig/quote © Kamaal/Ann Patchett

Cosno
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Cosno » Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:47 am

Sadly none, I am really excited about the game being released but I have a low-end pc. And even on lowest graphics the game runs at only 10 or less fps.
I can play for a while but after a few minutes it lags so badly that the audio is actually stutters/lags itself. I really wish I had a good computer to run the game...

elkhunter123456
Yearling
Yearling

Post by elkhunter123456 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:25 pm

As a lone wolf I mainly hunt calves and fawns. I don't have the courage to take on a moose calve yet! When I have a mate i hunt cows and spikes and the occasional bull elk or mule deer.(My mates die a lot due to there tendency to fight grizzly bears and cougars :cry: ) I love the new bite points and the way the mother defends the calf. WolfQuest 3 is epic and better than minecraft in my opinion, many thanks to the developers!
prey:
hare
beaver
mule deer
elk
moose
competitors:
raven
eagle
fox
coyote
wolf
cougar
bear

-Wolfdog-
Yearling
Yearling
Name: Wolf

Post by -Wolfdog- » Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:09 pm

Hunting elk calves is relatively easy, but let's not forget I set it to easy mode just to get the swing of things lol!
I target a random calf in the herd, and then separate it, with it's mother following close behind. I circle the calf for a bit, then continue biting it's legs. Try as I might, I'm not the most graceful hunter so often times I'm desperately trying to finish off the calf as the mother swings furiously. Oh, also, LEAVE YOUR FOOD IF GRIZZLIES INVADE IT. It's extremely hard trying to scare Grizzlies off, I woke up and saw a male grizzly just shuffling his way tours my meal. I gave a few growls and then omg he ran so fast tours me and killed my wolf. Anyway, I just got the game earlier and I've only managed to hunt 2 elk calves. Finding herds is much, much, more tedious since the map is ginormous and the scents float in the wind rather slowly, but the hunt is definitely worth it. Hunts are much more engaging than compared to 2.7, in 2.7 hunting was seen as more of a "job" than an exciting activity to partake in. I'm hoping to hunt a few mule deer, I've already hunted 2 rabbits, and I definitely will not attempt to attack moose until multiplayer arrives. Surviving in WQ 3 is a lot harder, even in easy mode. This is mainly because you're a lone wolf for the most part and the game is 10000% more realistic.
⍋ ⍋
ABNUS LUMI
🐺
🐾

Rebela
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Name: Rebela

Post by Rebela » Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:14 pm

GoldenBeauty wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:09 pm
Hunting elk calves is relatively easy, but let's not forget I set it to easy mode just to get the swing of things lol!
I target a random calf in the herd, and then separate it, with it's mother following close behind. I circle the calf for a bit, then continue biting it's legs. Try as I might, I'm not the most graceful hunter so often times I'm desperately trying to finish off the calf as the mother swings furiously. Oh, also, LEAVE YOUR FOOD IF GRIZZLIES INVADE IT. It's extremely hard trying to scare Grizzlies off, I woke up and saw a male grizzly just shuffling his way tours my meal. I gave a few growls and then omg he ran so fast tours me and killed my wolf. Anyway, I just got the game earlier and I've only managed to hunt 2 elk calves. Finding herds is much, much, more tedious since the map is ginormous and the scents float in the wind rather slowly, but the hunt is definitely worth it. Hunts are much more engaging than compared to 2.7, in 2.7 hunting was seen as more of a "job" than an exciting activity to partake in. I'm hoping to hunt a few mule deer, I've already hunted 2 rabbits, and I definitely will not attempt to attack moose until multiplayer arrives. Surviving in WQ 3 is a lot harder, even in easy mode. This is mainly because you're a lone wolf for the most part and the game is 10000% more realistic.
Hey there!
Instead of growling at a grizzly, try confident gestures such as tail up, tail out straight, ears perked, barking, and confident wag. Those intimidate it enough so that you can time your growls, making it to where the fight meter doesn't raise so quickly.
Also, I find it easier to prey on full grown doe elk, actually! Calves are very well protected 99% of the time unless you can scare the mother and calf (usually biting the mother scares the calf!).
"Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves."
SteamDeviantARTToyhou.se

Mwitu
Pup
Pup

WolfQuest 3 Hunting

Post by Mwitu » Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:26 am

Hello!
First, I have a question - has anyone found beavers or bighorn sheep yet? I can't find them; I don't really know where to look (though I did go to the river for beavers and couldn't find them, and searched several cliffs for Bighorn sheep but haven't found any yet).
Also, what is everyone's favorite animal to hunt now? With all the improvements, some are harder than others. I haven't tried hunting moose yet. Mule deer, in my opinion, are the easiest, and the elk are on the harder side because you're essentially surrounded when you try hunting one.
So, what's everyone's favorite animal to hunt now, and what are your favorite improvements to hunting? :)
Last edited by Mwitu on Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General WolfQuest Discussion”