Keep your Pet inside

Discuss how to take action in helping wildlife and the environment.

Moderator: Isela

pawnee
Former WQ Moderator

Keep your Pet inside

Post by pawnee » Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:27 pm

Every year, songbirds and native wildlife species are killed by the domestic cat. People let their cat out, and well fed cats are more apt to go out hunting. Songbirds and small native species are disapearing across North America to a number of problems, and can fall victim to a neighbours pet while feeding at a bird feeder or such. Instead of letting your cat outside to wonder, why not play some games? You can also buy kitty leashes and retraints for fluffy, which will allow your cat to be outside while unable to wonder off. Of course, as with any pet a cat should be supervised.

Dogs should also be kept on leashes while in parks or on nature trails. They disturb wildlife and sometimes kill animals that they find. Dogs can be kept on leashes and still enjoy their walk, not to mention that many urban areas have doggie parks. That way your dog can be safe while running around without being a nuisance.

I just thought I`d post this, their was an article in BBC wildlife about whether or not cats should be let out or kept inside. If you have a pet do you let them wonder outside? or what are some ways/ideas you have about keeping backyard birds and wildlife safe from pets? :mrgreen:
My Wolf Art http://pawnee.deviantart.com/
Its Not the Size of the dog in the fight, Its the size of the fight in the dog-Mark Twain

DazzleBerry
Former WQ Moderator

Re: Keep your Pet inside

Post by DazzleBerry » Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:35 pm

Well I live in Florida and we have those screened in porch things.
Since we have a huge garden inside the porch/pool deck area my cat just chills in there ;) Keeps him content, and lets him enjoy the outdoors safely. Sometimes an occasional lizard will be around, but its pretty rare.

I realize that everyones cat can't obviously go in a huge garden in a screened porch, but they do actually sell little cat run things. They look pretty cool. I saw some in a news article once...
My cats hate collars and leashes with a passion though (they chew them off!) so thats not an option for me haha

Also, I have never had a problem with my dog if we just keep her in the fenced in area in the actual backyard :D Otherwise just a leash usually does the trick.
EX-MODERATOR

orangeonfire
Former WQ Moderator

Post by orangeonfire » Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:39 am

My previous neighbors used to own two cats, and let both of them out to run amok whenever they wanted. It wasn't as problematic as it could've been, I think. :\

The first cat was obese, clumsy, and wore blinding white fur. She always stayed near her house, and never wandered farther than the next backyard over.
Any bird could see her lumbering form from a mile away. Gophers, on the other hand, weren't as lucky. D:

Second cat was extremely friendly towards people, and wholly dependent on their handouts. She followed people home, infatuated them, ate their meals, slept there for the night, and then ran off the next morning, back to her actual house.
She would not hunt. o_o She sat there watching birds and insects, but made no move to stalk them. My dad placed a live mole right in front of her, and she ignored it after a first glance. But then, I'm not sure about what else she used to do when I wasn't around.

I read in a magazine that you could attach a bell to your cat's collar (if he/she wears one) to give an early warning to nearby prey. And I think cats and dogs tend to roam around less if they're spayed/neutered.

wolf567
Former WQ Moderator

Post by wolf567 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:19 am

We had a cat, but the furthest it went was out back garden, and it was never let out that much. Our dogs, hmm, ones too young to go for walks and be let off, one is too old to go for walks, and the other one is just too lazy to go for walks. And when they do go for walks we always keep our dogs on leads, because we never want them to be take and kill wild animals.
Wolf567 / Blaze

WildFire
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by WildFire » Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:43 am

We don't have anyone on my block that keeps their small pets in their back yard. I am outside a lot, so I know all of my neighbors. My cat never goes past 2 or 3 houses each way, so we never have to worry about him ^-^ My dogs are kept on a leash or in the backyard. We have a 6' brick wall around our back yard, so the dogs are secured as well 83

Kyuubi no yoko
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Kyuubi no yoko » Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:14 pm

Also as a friendly reminder keep your pet sup[ervised at ALL times, this prevents escapes or predation on your pet if it happens to be small.

I let my turtles and snakes out to roam the yard on nice days,(Obviously not all at once) and of course one must keep an eagle eye on these critters as they would just as happily wonder off never to be seen again, if they dont get eaten in the process.
I own the night!

Former moderator. :)

WildFire
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by WildFire » Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:19 pm

I always watch my pets. They are my world and I would be heartbroken if one of them got lost >.<... So, as yoko said, it is always smart to keep an eye on your pet. Especially when you are around a lot of wildlife that could entice the pet to run away. In urban areas, it's just as dangerous if not more because of roads and highways.

Also, in some places like Arizona, we are allowed to shoot coyotes on sight because, not only is there an over-population of them, but they come up streets and....eat your pets....If you have a dog that may resemble in appearance a coyote, it might be shot by someone trying to protect their own pets. Those are other important reasons to keep your pet inside.

shadowolf

Post by shadowolf » Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:59 pm

WildFire wrote:I always watch my pets. They are my world and I would be heartbroken if one of them got lost >.<... So, as yoko said, it is always smart to keep an eye on your pet. Especially when you are around a lot of wildlife that could entice the pet to run away. In urban areas, it's just as dangerous if not more because of roads and highways.
I quite agree with you.

I always keep my pet in my eye sight, sense we have coyotes and my dogs are not that smart (Even if the show says they are....) They wouldn't last a second in the wild. Also, I always keep them on a lead, one of my dogs, Zoey, likes to chase birds and squirrels, and some times coyotes. I never want her, or the animal to get hurt because of me being unaware of the instinct to hunt, kill, and eat in my dog.

doewolf
Pup
Pup

Post by doewolf » Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:38 am

i love my two cats both female and both love hunting sorry but i cant keep a cat indoors it will get fat. so they go outside sorry if your songbirds die

Kyuubi no yoko
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Kyuubi no yoko » Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:50 pm

That is not true you just need to cut back on the diet and make sure they get plenty of indoor exercise.
I own the night!

Former moderator. :)

pawnee
Former WQ Moderator

Post by pawnee » Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:26 pm

doewolf wrote:i love my two cats both female and both love hunting sorry but i cant keep a cat indoors it will get fat. so they go outside sorry if your songbirds die

like people, animals get fat and lazy because they are bored. You just need new ways to stimulate your animals` minds and get the exercised.

My cat is a housecat, and she wears two bells...but when she gets into her hunting mode you don`t notice her at all until her claws are in your leg...so I`m not sure if bells really help to warn animals...

also conservation officers have a right to shoot off leash pets during game seasons...I`ve also heard of a few people shooting feral cats :?
My Wolf Art http://pawnee.deviantart.com/
Its Not the Size of the dog in the fight, Its the size of the fight in the dog-Mark Twain

WildFire
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by WildFire » Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:55 pm

pawnee wrote:also conservation officers have a right to shoot off leash pets during game seasons...I`ve also heard of a few people shooting feral cats :?
Yeah, some people don't know if it means harm or if it will get in the way of things like chasing off game or endangering neighborhoods around. Another point to at least make sure you animal always has a tag on him, not just a chip in its fur since people can't see that from a distance. I have nylon coloured collars that reflect light and make their collars clearly visible.

shadowolf

Post by shadowolf » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:18 am

WildFire wrote:
pawnee wrote:also conservation officers have a right to shoot off leash pets during game seasons...I`ve also heard of a few people shooting feral cats :?
Another point to at least make sure you animal always has a tag on him, not just a chip in its fur since people can't see that from a distance. I have nylon coloured collars that reflect light and make their collars clearly visible.
Very good idea!!! I do that with my dogs.

WildFire
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by WildFire » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:51 pm

shadowolf wrote:
WildFire wrote:
Another point to at least make sure you animal always has a tag on him, not just a chip in its fur since people can't see that from a distance. I have nylon coloured collars that reflect light and make their collars clearly visible.
Very good idea!!! I do that with my dogs.
You are also supposed to tag your birds as well if they are kept outside a lot because then people can see where they belong if they fly away. It's a light-weight ring that is pinched loosely around their ankles. I keep my bird indoors though because of feral dogs and cats. It would break my heart just as it would my dog or cat to be lost or have passed. My cat doesn't like his collar, but I think he is actually beginning to not care anymore. It has taken him 2 years to get to this point. I would have thought he would have adapted faster. But, I want something on him as well. Yet another point why:
Crazy and idiotic people to crazy and idiotic things. I don't want anything happening to my pets. I refuse to let my cat outside on holidays because of that very reason.

Hiedidog

Post by Hiedidog » Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:00 am

Aren't cats a bit hard to keep outside? There are lot of problems with cats getting hurt when they go outside.
♥Kamisha♥

October 2009 Undine Falls Pack Member of the Month

Return to “Take Action”