Keep your Pet inside

Discuss how to take action in helping wildlife and the environment.

Moderator: Isela

Nightskydapple
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training
Location: Waiting for "Her" to turn back and realise I'm here enduring the pain.

Re: Keep your Pet inside

Post by Nightskydapple » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:20 pm

DominoEagle wrote:I own one dog, she's a house dog and would never go outside on her own unless prevoked by another dog or by someone else. There would be, an ocasion when her sister would manage to open the door and they would run outside, only for us to find out and bring them back in. Though, we keep our doors locked and closed fully. Due to the amount of Wolves, Bears, Coyotes and Foxes in our area we usually hawk eye our dogs when bringing them outside, including now even though we only have one. We also, never let them wonder outside at night, sadly we do have stray animals that use our back yard as an animal highway crossing.

We're doing that to our two dogs right now (Since Maya is with my Uncle)
And because we're finding more and more cats in our garden, some aren't very friendly. So We don't really want our dogs like that. And Maya is almost like you dog, she doesn't really go outside unless We tell her to or the other dogs are outside. :mrgreen:
~Yeah I'm smiling,[/color]Inside dieing.~
Behind this fake mask of mine,
Paper thin lies, what I wished for most is a paper heart,
then you can't come and destroy and tear it apart like you
did to my last one.~

Zethra

Post by Zethra » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:10 am

Ah yes, twe have also seen a cugar in the area before. I was thinking when I saw one of the 'stray' cats conversing with it that these people should be watching their animals at all times. Our family is the only people in the general area where I live that have kept a close eye on our pets while they are outside, we would always see the other animals either wandering or outside on the portch or back yard without supervision.

I am glad you are doing that Nighsky, it is best for your animal to be safe than for you to be sorry.
............'..........Avatar by Zethra

Nightskydapple
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training
Location: Waiting for "Her" to turn back and realise I'm here enduring the pain.

Post by Nightskydapple » Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:43 am

DominoEagle wrote:Ah yes, twe have also seen a cugar in the area before. I was thinking when I saw one of the 'stray' cats conversing with it that these people should be watching their animals at all times. Our family is the only people in the general area where I live that have kept a close eye on our pets while they are outside, we would always see the other animals either wandering or outside on the portch or back yard without supervision.

I am glad you are doing that Nighsky, it is best for your animal to be safe than for you to be sorry.
Since we moved houses there are more stray cats and other pets around, last time a large dog broke the fence and raced into our back yard, but me and my dogs were inside watching tv when we heard the crash, thats when we keep close eyes on the dogs.
~Yeah I'm smiling,[/color]Inside dieing.~
Behind this fake mask of mine,
Paper thin lies, what I wished for most is a paper heart,
then you can't come and destroy and tear it apart like you
did to my last one.~

PhotoWolf

Post by PhotoWolf » Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:45 am

All of my pets are indoors. i wouldn't leave them out in the hot summer heat, not the cold winter. plus, with me living in a not so nice neighborhood, i wouldn't want anything to happen.
i don't have to worry about other animals attacking, for there are never any that would, so thats a good thing

Zethra

Post by Zethra » Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:10 pm

Yes that is a very good thing Photo.
Have you called the SPCA in your naborhood? If there is one that is. If not that would be a good way to start so that these cats may actually find a responcable home. The dog that crashed, I hope he's alright. That dog's owners should know better than to let it out into the street.

pawnee
Former WQ Moderator

Post by pawnee » Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:12 pm

well the dog could have been chasing a neighbourhood cat...my dog broke his lead once and ran into my neighbours backayrd because his cat was sitting on our porch.
My Wolf Art http://pawnee.deviantart.com/
Its Not the Size of the dog in the fight, Its the size of the fight in the dog-Mark Twain

Zethra

Post by Zethra » Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:45 am

Well that could also be the case, my old dog Duchess broke out of her collar once, so we had to get another more sturdy one. Sometimes, dogs think that the cat is 'taunting' them so they give chase. Then again, I don't blaim them, our next door nabours cat use to tease our dog Tuffy (sticking his paws through the fence trying to reach Tuffy) when he was still around.

Though, if that is the case and it just broke it's leash to chase a cat. The owners of the cat shouldn't be putting them into the street in the first place without supervison.

Gloria Crystal
Yearling
Yearling

Post by Gloria Crystal » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:40 am

My little chihuhua even stay inside, Once a day I walk with her through the streets near my house, with a leash of course, but when she take a bath in it I usually wait at least a day to take her to walk again.
......There's song that's inside of my soul......
...... It's the one I call......
.......HOWL......

Werewolf Leader

Post by Werewolf Leader » Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:07 pm

I thought I may want to add this;
For your pet's safty you should also keep him/her insid or on a leash. Cars, poisones plants, and many other things could harm your pet.
(i do not meen to scare you if i did)

AutumnSolace
Yearling
Yearling

Post by AutumnSolace » Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:36 am

Right now were currently looking after my aunt's Border Collie name Indigo because she had to go to the hospital due to an illness and Indigo behaves like a charm. She rarely go out to the backyard unless I go to the backyard with her to play fetch or something.

Where I live there isn't any coyotes, bears or wolves but my neighborhood has lots of stray cats so I always make sure Indigo is under my supervision. Unless I have homework then my parents watches her over. C:

Although sometimes when I take Indigo for a walk there's sometime a stray cat that tease her by menacingly staring at her. I swear that stray cat's expression looks like "I dare yah to chase me dog." Which sometime leads Indigo barking and trying to run towards it and I have to stop her by holding her. x.x

Sigh, if only people doesn't abandon there cats on the street but either give them away to a good home or if a must, to an animal shelter or something.

Bolt the wolf
Yearling
Yearling

Post by Bolt the wolf » Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:25 pm

This is a good thing to post because it give good info on keeping your pet inside and my neighbor`s dog is always in our yard with no supervision at all and the dog keeps going to the bathroom in our yard as well, sometimes the dog is in the fenced yard at the neighbor`s house what should I do about the dog?
☾ ☼♥ ߤłŧ ♥☼ ☾
Åş ŧħε εұεлįлģ şŧàгş àгįşε,
Ĩ ģàzε àŧ ŧħε łįŧ ǚp şķįεş,
Đгεàмįпģ ŧħàŧ ħōpεfǚłłŷ şǒǒп,
Ĩ čàп ĵōįп ŧħεм ŧǒǒ
Sig By Techo
...▲...
.▲.▲.
The Legend Of
.....Zelda.....

Alycia J

Post by Alycia J » Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:43 pm

I personally think people should keep their animals on leashes. We have a new stray cat wandering around each time one of them passes away and my neighbor's dogs like to come in and take a tinkle in my yard. My dad caught one performing the act on his new truck tire in the winter (so it froze) and punted the dog across the street. But...I might very well be a hypocrite. I let my dog outside without a leash even though there is a leash law in town. She is very passive and stays in our yard. She never messes with any wildlife outside (the bugs) except a cricket or grasshopper if me or my sister put her up to it.

Overall, if you can't control your animals, keep them on a leash.