Keep your Pet inside

Discuss how to take action in helping wildlife and the environment.

Moderators: paperpaws, Isela

msayle
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Re: Keep your Pet inside

Post by msayle » Fri May 15, 2009 8:08 am

well, my parents own this farm place kinda and we rescued this baby lion. her name is Sheba and already she is outside tryingto catch birds. she needs excersize outside but i dont wante her killing the native birds all over the country side. please give me some hints on how to stop her from destroying the bird population.
I remember the first time I saw a rattler' curled up in my path. This didn't look like rattler', but I was still thinking -snake-
Spirit-

Ivory_
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Ivory_ » Fri May 15, 2009 10:55 am

you cant keep a lion from hunting it natural instinct, it what they were made to do
♥♦♥♦♥♦♥♦♥♦♥♦♥♦
♥Ivory♦
♥♦*♥♦*♥♦*♥♦*♥♦*♥♦*♥♦*
♥♦*Council member of The Wolves of the Aurora Borealis♥♦*

(¯`v´¯)
`*.¸.*´
¸.•´ ¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨) Echo - Allura - Lyric
(¸.•´ (¸.•´

♥♦*Avvie by Stonei

crow_noir
Pup
Pup

Post by crow_noir » Sat May 16, 2009 4:25 am

Since you won't be able to stop her from hunting why not try making enrichment activities for her. things to chase and buying her some zoo quality toys (They're specifically made for large predators, as to be next to indestructible.)

There's a LOT that goes into keeping a lion. It can end very badly if you don't do a LOT of research.
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Thanks to Zelda101 for the color bar!

Wolves are no less unpredictable than humans; at least wolves show their emotions openly.

Boysgal
Pup
Pup

Post by Boysgal » Mon May 18, 2009 4:48 pm

My Cat was ALWAYS indoors but we did let her sit in our backyard on the porch because she didn't like grass cause she hated the feeling! LOL! We also new that she wouldn't kill anything because one day she carried an adult mouse (from our basement :D ) up to my mom and dropped it infront of her feet, then when the mouse tried runing away she went and picked it up again. So we caught it in a jar and released it in a nearby field! I think you should always keep your cats inside as they don't need to be happy to be outside! But dogs it's part of their life, it is safer to have them on a leash though as they won't beable to chase and kill something!
Boysgal

I'm back =D

Avatar by, The ONE and ONLY...HOOVER!! :P

jellyblobsofdoom
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by jellyblobsofdoom » Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:24 am

My 3 cats stay indoors.Because it's also a risk they could get run over or sick.
Eclipse
I hear them getting closer
Their howls are sending chills down my spine
And time is running out now,
They're coming down the hills from behind

Halloween Avatar (c) Jellyblobsofdoom

NoodleTheAnything
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by NoodleTheAnything » Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:56 pm

once my cat caught a bird but it flew away, and now my cat doesn't hunt birds anymore cause i guess the bird hit him hard.to run away of course.
Originally wildwolf2

The EARTH has ART

Proud Lead Chontaduro of The Amazon Rainforest Pack

UFSoil
Pup
Pup
Name: Supi, Supicoon

Post by UFSoil » Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:50 pm

Here, in Finland some wolfs have started to eat dogs from the yards of houses.

[oftopic] It isn't anything new, but now people are talking about getting premition to hunt down those three (3) wolf.
Here in Finland it is illegal to hunt wolves, but with premition of the goverment you can hunt "problematic wolf" or wolf couple down. [oftopic]
Awesome avatar by Arciz!
I used to be PLC of Undine Falls and Rose Creek. Good times!

You can find me around the internet as "Supicoon" these days.

-Larka-
Adult Wolf
Adult Wolf

Post by -Larka- » Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:45 am

Ok, I will try to keep my cat indoors as much as possible. xD

Kivia

Post by Kivia » Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:52 pm

My old cat was a an outdoor cat that was basically outside 23 hours a day. She would only come home for food. But one habit she had was that she would constantly bring in dead birds into our house, and we couldn't make her stop doing it. We put her down 3 years ago because of old age and she was very sick. But we actually just got a new stray kitten and we've already decided that he's going to be an indoor cat. Not only will this prevent him from harming wildlife, but he won't get hurt or get sick like our old cat did constantly. We use stuffed animals and string to keep him occupied instead of birds and mice.

Mystic3170
Yearling
Yearling

Post by Mystic3170 » Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:58 pm

My Australian Shepherd, Indy, is quite a funny case when it comes to this. There was a mouse on our staircase (we caught/released it later) but she stood, oh, three feet from it.

An uninterested glance, a casual sniff, and then up the stairs to bother us she went. Silly dog XD
We always keep her leashed on walks and before we take her out of the car after a trip. Those especially, because our old dog got out of the car without a leash on once, chased a squirrel across the road.. Truck came down the road. She recovered though, and lived to a ripe old age :)
Is this the end of the moment
Or just a beautiful unfolding
Of a love that will never be?

narutofan4life
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by narutofan4life » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:43 am

ok my cat JUST deleted every thing ugh.. so let me make it short well sort of. nature need to take its course some one dies and then some one is re-born. so, cats are part of nature they need to go out. cats arent the only ones who kill birds cause my dog has killed 3 birds so far, dogs need to go for a walk and to go out when u arent there. you cant keep any animal it all the time or so often, except for birds and mice and that if you know what i mean

hope you all have a nice day

Vera
Leader Of Up Rising Pack
Members Visit The Pack WebSite At http://uprisingpack.wetpaint.com/
(¯`v´¯)
`*.¸.*´
¸.•´ ¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.•´

Ivory_
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Ivory_ » Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:07 pm

Cats and dogs are domestic animals, they were taken out of the wild an made our pets, they do not need to kill wild animals as they have us to take care of them, as generally they will not even eat the animal they kill. Killing these animals couls also cause a ot to get sick as they are not wild animals who are more "immune" to illness. A pet could get very ill if it killed an animal carrying a virus or rabies. Cats do not need to be taken out side like dogs, they have litter boxes and they make amaixing cat toys now days. Mine stay inside and they are perfectly happy. As for dogs, it can be dangerous to let a dog run loose unsupervised, mine is only let off the leash in the yard when we are outside with her, we also live in a subdivision so that chances of her getting hit by a car a pretty slim as it is.
♥♦♥♦♥♦♥♦♥♦♥♦♥♦
♥Ivory♦
♥♦*♥♦*♥♦*♥♦*♥♦*♥♦*♥♦*

(¯`v´¯)
`*.¸.*´
(¸.•´ (¸.•´

♥♦*Avvie by Stonei

Mezzanota
Adult Wolf
Adult Wolf

Post by Mezzanota » Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:28 pm

Thanks for posting, this is interesting :shock: . I don't have a pet, but it's good to know more to help advise pet owners I know. Well, even if I did have a pet, I live in an apartment on the 12 floor so I don't think a pet would try to hunt in any balconies in fear of falling off or be able to anyway. As for the walks, yes, that would be something to keep a note of. i'm not sure if this is the same in other countries, but OK, it's good info you've got there.
Stop copying.Be creative.

Mezzanota:

» UF Member
» WQ Writer
» Tiger Lover
»Avatar (c) Nightshadows (thankyou!)
» ♣I support Green Paws♣

narutofan4life
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by narutofan4life » Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:35 am

chevy91baby wrote:Cats and dogs are domestic animals, they were taken out of the wild an made our pets, they do not need to kill wild animals as they have us to take care of them, as generally they will not even eat the animal they kill. Killing these animals couls also cause a ot to get sick as they are not wild animals who are more "immune" to illness. A pet could get very ill if it killed an animal carrying a virus or rabies. Cats do not need to be taken out side like dogs, they have litter boxes and they make amaixing cat toys now days. Mine stay inside and they are perfectly happy. As for dogs, it can be dangerous to let a dog run loose unsupervised, mine is only let off the leash in the yard when we are outside with her, we also live in a subdivision so that chances of her getting hit by a car a pretty slim as it is.
The parts i underlined and made bigger with another color is what im talking about now.
They will eat the animal they kill, my cat does and i hate to say but so does my dog what is weird, it depends on weather the animal they have killed has a nice taste (idk some thing like tastes a big off or some thing) or if they are bored as most cat owners dont get them a toy so they like to "Play" with there kill, u no chase it down then slowly kill it (my cat held its pray down killing it slowly, i did try to help the field mouse but i was a bit too late) anyhow, many owners dont buy litter trays as they may have children who might play in it and all, also some times it isnt good to breathe in if you no what im saying. As you said that they could die due to what the animal has got cause there not "immune" to it cause there not wild. well it will be your fault if you dont get them an vacination (sorry for spelling if its wrong). Animals can be "immune" to some thing if they had the vacination.
Leader Of Up Rising Pack
Members Visit The Pack WebSite At http://uprisingpack.wetpaint.com/
(¯`v´¯)
`*.¸.*´
¸.•´ ¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.•´

Ivory_
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Ivory_ » Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:06 am

The cat we used to keep out side NEVER ate what she killed she just left it on the door, and to be quite honest you say MOST cat owners wont buy their cats toys? How do you know this? All of my friends and family that pwn cats treat them very well i am quite sure the majority of cat owner is the population do the same I am sure that a small percentage do not but Most, i dot think so. And it is easy to buy a litter box and put it somewhere you child does not have access too, and as for vaccinations not every virus and illness has a vaccine, most dont, and as you say if people wont spend money on a cat toy... why would the bother vaccinating?
♥♦♥♦♥♦♥♦♥♦♥♦♥♦
♥Ivory♦
♥♦*♥♦*♥♦*♥♦*♥♦*♥♦*♥♦*

(¯`v´¯)
`*.¸.*´
(¸.•´ (¸.•´

♥♦*Avvie by Stonei

Return to “Take Action”