Keep your Pet inside

Discuss how to take action in helping wildlife and the environment.

Moderator: Isela

narutofan4life
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Re: Keep your Pet inside

Post by narutofan4life » Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:09 am

chevy91baby wrote:The cat we used to keep out side NEVER ate what she killed she just left it on the door, and to be quite honest you say MOST cat owners wont buy their cats toys? How do you know this? All of my friends and family that pwn cats treat them very well i am quite sure the majority of cat owner is the population do the same I am sure that a small percentage do not but Most, i dot think so. And it is easy to buy a litter box and put it somewhere you child does not have access too, and as for vaccinations not every virus and illness has a vaccine, most dont, and as you say if people wont spend money on a cat toy... why would the bother vaccinating?
ok this is what i no about what were talking about:

ok so most cats depend on what we do for them right? so if some people just want a cat for catchin mice and rats or just to have in the family, then ok you will need a litter tray. Cats are sociable animals and make great pets, of course most cats spend a lot of time dozing. So they need a quiet place where they can rest. Cats also like to spend time outside, so it's not a good idea to keep a cat if you live somewhere it can't get out and about.

Exercise
It's nice for your cat to go in and out as it likes, and having a cat flap makes life easier. It's a good idea to:

o check there aren't dangerous roads nearby
o keep a cat that's new to the area indoors for a couple of weeks
o microchip your cat in case it gets lost (of course it depends if you want to or not)

Cleaning[/color]
A healthy cat will groom itself regularly, but brushing your cat will:

o keep its coat looking healthy
o help you notice if it has fleas
o help reduce hairballs (hair that cats swallow when grooming)

Health
It's a good idea to make sure your cat has a yearly check-up with a vet. The vet will be able to:

o advise you about neutering (unless you have a female cat and want kittens)
o give annual booster injections
o give worming tablets (to protect against worms)
o examine its mouth and teeth

Bonfire Night
Many animals are scared by fireworks and may run away from home. Make sure:

o your cat is kept indoors on bonfire night
o it has somewhere cosy to hide if it gets frightened
Leader Of Up Rising Pack
Members Visit The Pack WebSite At http://uprisingpack.wetpaint.com/
(¯`v´¯)
`*.¸.*´
¸.•´ ¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.•´

Ivory_
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Ivory_ » Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:14 pm

But just because cats LIKE to spend time out side does not mean that they SHOULD, it is harmful sometimes to the catas well as the wildlife species in the environment. Domestic Pets dont need to hunt, they have us to provide for them. if you have a mouse or rat problem there are professionals to do the job proberly and humanly so that other species dont need to suffer as well.

Like what has been said in previous posts, If you cat really enjoys it out side they make leashes and harness made especially for cats, with a bit of working with them the will learn how it works, mine did. The also make enclosures you can put your cat in so the can spend time outside with out harming the wildlife, this also keeps the animal safe from harmful things as well.
♥♦♥♦♥♦♥♦♥♦♥♦♥♦
♥Ivory♦
♥♦*♥♦*♥♦*♥♦*♥♦*♥♦*♥♦*
♥♦*Council member of The Wolves of the Aurora Borealis♥♦*

(¯`v´¯)
`*.¸.*´
¸.•´ ¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨) Echo - Allura - Lyric
(¸.•´ (¸.•´

♥♦*Avvie by Stonei

narutofan4life
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by narutofan4life » Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:21 pm

Even that isnt right i can understand a harness for a rabbit and a cage but for a cat. cats shouldnt be on leashes of any sort, even to help the wild. its un-natural, yeah ok we provide things for there needs but we shouldnt have them on leashes! its in there blood to hunt as so in the wild. you cant breed that out of them, even if you could they would soon learn how to. if i was a cat i wouldnt like to be keep on a leash/harness and not in an enclosure and NEVER in a house for all my life. as ive said in one topic, i would rather live with the wolves and learn how they hunt, live, and survive. like my dog i let him go where he pleases as long as im there (like leading him) i dont mind were he goes i like him to know people. This is the same as my kitten/cat i like him to go out, feel free to be wild again rather than being breed to be a pet, i dont see them as my pets i see them as wild animals learned to live with me and every one around.
Leader Of Up Rising Pack
Members Visit The Pack WebSite At http://uprisingpack.wetpaint.com/
(¯`v´¯)
`*.¸.*´
¸.•´ ¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.•´

Garion1

Post by Garion1 » Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:58 pm

like most domestic animals cats can be taught not to attach most vreatures i know we have a cat and we've got him to were the only thing he attachs is mice. at least that what i think he dosent seem to leave any dead birds on my front porch. as some of you said its all about keeping your cat to occupied to do any thing else.
I am a woman and I reserve the right to be inconsistent!

VanishingPawPrints
Yearling
Yearling

Post by VanishingPawPrints » Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:55 pm

We live on a hobby farm, and have cats outside all the time, mostly to catch mice. They some times catch other things as well, like moles, rats, and once a mom cat got a small furry animal that was not a mouse or rat. Also we once found rabbit in the cat shed, but I don't know if they killed the rabbit or found it. 90% of our cats are spayed/neutered. We had one cat that was in incredible good at catching birds, but then he lost sight in one eye from another cat who was mean.

Just this spring we got our backyard fenced in for our dogs.
Avviy by Rapresentine
My wolves
sp: EarthEye and WaterGem, Elements and FireMist, AirJet and Wind, Vanish and WindPup
mp: Prints
Rebelutionary doing hard things

Kivia

Post by Kivia » Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:09 pm

My cat at the moment is going to be an indoor cat. He was a stray, but we decided that he would remain inside our home. I just find it safer for him then being outside. Plus, he gets so much exercise from running around and being hyper 24/7 and hunting bugs in our garage and basement. Hopefully he'll live a happy life.

Our old cat was an outdoor cat, and that always scared me. He would get in fights, wouldn't come home for days, and would get sick often. I find it safer now to keep cats indoors, though I have been thinking of getting maybe a little leash so I can walk my cat around our backyard^^

WolvesHorses
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by WolvesHorses » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:17 am

I have a cat who we never allow outside. The problem is, he's determined to go out, so he'll always find a way to slip out of the house and be gone for hours on end. I'm afraid he might actually be hunting, he has such strong instincts to pounce.... according to the scratches all over our feet, anyway. Sometimes we'll open a window and he'll stretch a gap in the window screen to fit through. And since we don't have an AC, we sometimes open the door to let the fresh air in, and he pushes the screen door open. :P Such a clever cat.
I'm more active now, as the WQ forums used to be amazingly slow for me.

WolvesHorses
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by WolvesHorses » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:20 am

narutofan4life wrote:Even that isnt right i can understand a harness for a rabbit and a cage but for a cat. cats shouldnt be on leashes of any sort, even to help the wild. its un-natural, yeah ok we provide things for there needs but we shouldnt have them on leashes! its in there blood to hunt as so in the wild. you cant breed that out of them, even if you could they would soon learn how to. if i was a cat i wouldnt like to be keep on a leash/harness and not in an enclosure and NEVER in a house for all my life. as ive said in one topic, i would rather live with the wolves and learn how they hunt, live, and survive. like my dog i let him go where he pleases as long as im there (like leading him) i dont mind were he goes i like him to know people. This is the same as my kitten/cat i like him to go out, feel free to be wild again rather than being breed to be a pet, i dont see them as my pets i see them as wild animals learned to live with me and every one around.

How so? It's no more unnatural for a cat to be on a leash than a dog. It's just the paradigms humans have, that cat's aren't walked on leashes.

On top of that, domestic animals are highly evolved to live with humans. They are not wild animals, even if you let them live in the wild.
I'm more active now, as the WQ forums used to be amazingly slow for me.

Mezzanota
Adult Wolf
Adult Wolf

Post by Mezzanota » Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:27 am

I haven't got a cat or a dog, and neither do I have a garden as I live in an apartment. Most people in Egypt who do have a house with a garden live on the outskirts of the cities, and all the animals live far out in the desert, so we barely get to see any. So yeah, this might not apply to people where I live, but about the walking dogs is a good idea; I was thinking that if squirrels could get hurt in the US, why not maybe a few birds in Egypt?
Stop copying.Be creative.

Mezzanota:

» UF Member
» WQ Writer
» Tiger Lover
»Avatar (c) Nightshadows (thankyou!)
» ♣I support Green Paws♣

pawnee
Former WQ Moderator

Post by pawnee » Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:33 am

domestic cats are one of the biggest problems for native bird species across the globe.

Many goverments have extensive culling programs for cats and household animals. Their is no other way when people choose to release or let their animals destroy the native and endagered species.

Cats can be kept on leashes or harnessess. I find they don't like it but I would rather my cat be on a leash than it running around and getting hurt or attacking birds.

I do reccemend getting a collar that will detach by itself though, as cats have been known to hang themselves on objects by accident.
My Wolf Art http://pawnee.deviantart.com/
Its Not the Size of the dog in the fight, Its the size of the fight in the dog-Mark Twain

Hunter_Wolf123

Post by Hunter_Wolf123 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:23 am

Hmmm my dog stays inside, so did my cat. But my aunt lives on a farma nd she has 10 some cats running around outside, is that still bad?

-Larka-
Adult Wolf
Adult Wolf

Post by -Larka- » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:58 am

My kitten always stays inside, but we will sometimes let our cat out, since he gets irritable if he stays inside for too long.

tinwolf
Pup
Pup

Post by tinwolf » Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:51 pm

i see what you mean my dog chased a bunny around the back yard (because it was his instincts to do that) and luckly the baby bunny got threw a hole in the fence.And my dog also almost killed my pet bird (because of his instincts again) when he was flying around the house and i didn't see my dog sitting their he left my bird with a wound bleeding luckly it wasn't that deep of a wound that could have killed him (by the way my dog is a golden retriever a gun and hunting dog so it really was his instincts.)
1 week or less till slough creek comes out!

prowl2289
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by prowl2289 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:53 pm

I live in Florida! I always have my two dogs, five cats, and 7 finchs inside because it is to hot or to cold of a weather. Even though my cats hates going outside, and I only take my dogs out for them to do their business.
Running through the forest,
Our fur on fire,
Burning everything in our path,
Creating forest-fires,
We run with fire

My Wolves are:
Prowl (Delta Male)
Slushbreeze (Beta Male)
Slush (Omega)
Liger (Beta Male)
Steeljaw (Den Watcher)

Return to “Take Action”