What have you done to help your environment?

Discuss how to take action in helping wildlife and the environment.

Moderator: Isela

Blightwolf
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

Re: What have you done to help your environment?

Post by Blightwolf » Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:29 am

My school tries to be more contributional toward the society and help the environment, but not extensively.

Also, forgive me if this has already been suggested/mentioned, but I would like to advice people from not to open their refridgerator doors a lot, since it takes a lot of extra energy from the machine to cool the system down once warm air has gotten inside the fridge; it will save electricity and therefore it will not impact the environment as much...
AUGUST 2009 USER OF THE MONTH

Sintact

Post by Sintact » Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:37 pm

I think that that wasn't suggested, but it's true and really a good suggestion. Another suggestion I can make is that beware when you turn on and off your lights constantly, since you waste more energy by turning the lights off (you need more energy and reaction for turning the lights on than just 'ending' the energy by turning the lights off)

There's a better Physical explanation for this but I don't know how to explain this in English.

-Larka-
Adult Wolf
Adult Wolf

Post by -Larka- » Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:14 am

I always switch everything electrical off when I go to sleep. It saves a lot of electricity.

Blightwolf
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

Post by Blightwolf » Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:17 am

And of course people should remember to unplug their electronical systems properly; you have to pull out the plug from the wall as well, it's not enough just to switch off the button if you really want to save energy. Like when charging the battery of your cell phone, you should take off the wire and unplug it from the wall once you've finished.

(Sorry for the weird explanation, I seem to have the same problem than Sintact not quite knowing how to explain it more efficiently in English.)

Razorfang
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Razorfang » Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:03 pm

Sintact wrote:That's true, Embry, by helping a little bit you can do big changes. Thing about all the people of this topic that is helping the environment, multiply it by thousands of other people that don't come here but they help the world in one or another way. We are a lot of beings that by staying united we can create great things.
Nice said, Sintact, I agree with you. just think about that song from "lion king": We are one.

Alone we cant do much, but if we are with alot of poeple we can really make a point.

Blightwolf
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

Post by Blightwolf » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:20 am

That is also true, we cannot make much difference- or at least, it may seem like we are unable to make an impact - if we have to work toward saving the environment by ourselves. But fortunately, people all around the globe are aware of the pollution and other environmental problems and a lot of countries have set up recycling programs and communities and socities can have eco-friendly projects, and so forth. It's important that people recognise the problem, and try to work towards solving it.

SpeakingRain
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by SpeakingRain » Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:39 pm

I really like it when people set aside a whole day just for environmental help, and gather a group to do the work. ^w^ But yes, we can still help by just doing things when we think we're alone because we really aren't alone, as Embry said.
So... How 'bout them apples?

What'll it take to clear my tray?
To wash my pain and hurt away?
I know not whether you are there
To listen to my silly prayer.
But I know one thing for sure~
I want to find a life-long cure.

http://animefurrygirl12.deviantart.com/

NinjaSeth
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by NinjaSeth » Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:00 pm

The majority of people living on Earth are aware of pullution. However, a large ammount of those people can't be bothered doing anything about it. It's too late to stop Global Warming completely, but we can all do things like what Embry and Sintact suggested to help slow it down. =]
Seth.
-x Every step that I take,
Is another mistake..
-x Keep covering it up,
Just hide the pain..
Clearwater.

silverpelt 457
Pup
Pup

Post by silverpelt 457 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:02 am

Nothing.I haven't done anything.
#STRIPCLUB
(all wee doo iz streap)

animorphs1234
Pup
Pup
Location: Hugging on Rocks and Shayshay *Huggles them and takes their cookie*

Post by animorphs1234 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:17 am

I have picked up other peoples trash ! Lol Getting my paws dirty....
"Hate me, I will only love ya more ^.^"-GrayStar
Proud Delta and Medicine Wolf of FrozenWaterFallsPack
<3Roxxy,Shade,Lies,Roxi<3
I am a Goth/Punk Hybrid

Razorfang
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Razorfang » Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:57 pm

animorphs1234 wrote:I have picked up other peoples trash ! Lol Getting my paws dirty....
Yup, thats often a thing I do aswell.

And I do give a halt to people that are dropping thrash onto the ground if I am with them. I did it even against my boss, after thinking about it he encouraged me to do that more often. XD

I dont leave windows unnessecary open when the sun is shining in the rooms of my house. in that way I do not need a heater or something.

Sintact

Post by Sintact » Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:53 am

Lately I have been at the beach and picked up many of the trash that is there, I received help from my sister and a couple of friends. Though here there are still no recycling dumps, it is sad, because most of the trash we got was plastic bottles and other recyclable stuff.

Tally
Pup
Pup

Post by Tally » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:28 pm

(Hope I'm not bumping this, but I think it's an important topic)

Being aware of conserving water and energy is very important, as well as keeping as much trash as you can out of the landfills. But I think the greatest way you can help is to speak up. Caution isn't gonna get you far here! If you are passionate about being respectful to the earth, other people see and become involved as well.

For example, once when I was on a long flight, I had been served several drinks in plastic cups from cans. I realized what a huge amount of cups and cans the airline must go through every day, and I asked the attendant if they recycled. She was very happy I asked and replied that of course they recycled! Speaking up never hurts.

Another example of using actions and words to help. During a trip, I was eating with my friends. The food was served on styrofoam trays, and I commented on how harmful the styrofoam was. Everyone around me became interested and wanted to know more. So you see, all you have to do is speak up with passion.

Now I will use a sappy quote that I love to illustrate my point. "Passion colors all that it touches in its own hues." -Baltasar Gracian

Nightskydapple
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training
Location: Waiting for "Her" to turn back and realise I'm here enduring the pain.

Post by Nightskydapple » Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:54 pm

We try to save as much electricity as possible, we try to save water (which means a two minute shower no matter how stinky you are)
We plant trees in summer too, we do a weekly clean-up around the house and donate the things we don't need to Charity. We have a non-electricity night every-friday.
When me and my uncle go bird watching we do a clean-up around the river. (every monday after school)
Fishing with my oldest brother we also do a clean up there. (Saturdays)
We do a weekly neighbor hood clean-up.
When we brush our teeth we only use one-cup of water.
We recycle all of our bottles -_- (and i've had my bottle for two years now and its a plastic one, works fine :mrgreen: )
:mrgreen: :D
Any other suggestions on what I can do?
~Yeah I'm smiling,[/color]Inside dieing.~
Behind this fake mask of mine,
Paper thin lies, what I wished for most is a paper heart,
then you can't come and destroy and tear it apart like you
did to my last one.~

alebrije
Yearling
Yearling

Post by alebrije » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:41 pm

I'm not sure if my post really involves with this topic, but my dad and I live near a wildlife preserve and a huge forest. WolfQuest inspired me to start donating to help save wolves and raise money for the wildlife preserve to buy more animals and etc. My dad and I save as much electricity as possible. I help raise money by mowing my neighbor's lawn and walking people's dogs and give all the money to nature preserves.