Eco Tourism and volunteer adventures

Discuss how to take action in helping wildlife and the environment.

Moderators: paperpaws, Isela

pawnee
Former WQ Moderator

Eco Tourism and volunteer adventures

Post by pawnee » Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:54 am

Partipating in an eco tourism adventure is an exciting way to support local wildlife, habitat and communities instead of traditional vacations. For instance, more people are willing to go to on safaris to see wildlife, not just hunt them. Also, some packages also include a few days of volunteering for a cause.

Have you ever been on an eco tourism trip? what was it like? How did it impact you and would you do it agian?

Of course, I don't think all eco trips are created equel. Like polar bear watching. Its good that people come to see and learn about the arctic but at the same time its kind of ironic because your driving around in a giant gas guzziling vehicle, conditoning wild animals to approach. I have mixed feelings about that...same with whale watching. If boats don't get too close it seems fine but sonar and equipment can disturb whales.

How do you feel about this? opinions? if you could go on any eco trip, what would it be?
My Wolf Art http://pawnee.deviantart.com/
Its Not the Size of the dog in the fight, Its the size of the fight in the dog-Mark Twain

Sintact

Re: Eco Tourism and volunteer adventures

Post by Sintact » Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:11 am

Actually my big sister is studying Eco Tourism, somtimes she takes me out with her and we go treckking or something like that, next to Santiago there's not big wildlife to see, but when we go to the North or South of Chile there's a lot of them. It's a really good opportunity for connecting with yourself and nature. Going out of society for a weekend will help you make your mind, now a day we don't give us time for knowing ourselves since we are so busy with school, college or work.

I have been in many Eco Tourism "adventures", every time I go to Pucon (South of Chile), I really recomend making this at least twice a year, in my case, much more times xD

Blightwolf
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

Post by Blightwolf » Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:34 am

That actually sounds really interesting, cool and nature-friendly! I wish I'd be able to travel more. I live in Scandinavia and the only places I've been to have been Greece, Budapest, Stockholm and Tallin (Estonia).

People should response more to topics such as this. It's important to take the well-being of our nature and wildlife into consideration, especially when all this global warming stuff is happening.
AUGUST 2009 USER OF THE MONTH

Purity

Post by Purity » Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:54 pm

This is a nice thing to know, pawnee. I go to the mountains each year, and I don't know if this is considered "helping" or anything, but we feed the local wildlife and I went hiking one day, to find that there was a strict law against hunting wildlife. I think it's a very good place to go, conisdering it can harbour us, and the city is far away in the valley. :)

pawnee
Former WQ Moderator

Post by pawnee » Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:49 pm

Actually, everytime you visit a park, or natural area, your illustrating that people do value that wild space and that it should be treasured! Parks woulnd't exist without people to support them.
My Wolf Art http://pawnee.deviantart.com/
Its Not the Size of the dog in the fight, Its the size of the fight in the dog-Mark Twain

Return to “Take Action”