Free Pets? Not Really

Discuss how to take action in helping wildlife and the environment.

Moderator: Isela

Katedaph
Pup
Pup

Free Pets? Not Really

Post by Katedaph » Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:17 pm

I've recently been searching for animal shelters that I could volunteer at in my area when I came across an article about free pets not really being free, which o course I had already known. But I started reading it and it also said many other reasons not to give puppies, dogs, kittens and/or cats away for free.
One reason to not give pets away for free is that you aren't aware of who could get a hold of them, may it be a professer wanting a lab experiment or a owner of large exotic pets, like snakes.
Another reason not to give away pets for free is that maybe that pet may have a diesease or such that may cost you, the new pet owner, a lot of money. After findin out these issues you may not be able to give the pet to a shelter or back to the original owner.

Perhaps you come across a box of puppies labeled "Free" on the side of the road, beside them is a very nice looking woman, so you get out of your car to look at them. You decide to take one home. Your thinking "Oh joy! A puppy for free." Sorry, but, not exactly, you still have to pay the fees for it' shots and whatever else it may need.
Instead, you should've went to a shelter, there you can save an animal and it will probaby come with it's shots and other things.

To summerize it all up, free pets aren't exactly free, you have to pay some sort of price for them. So instead of having to pay for shots, first visit your local shelter where most pets hav their shots. For a small adopion fee, it's worth it.

Sintact

Re: Free Pets? Not Really

Post by Sintact » Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:25 pm

That's true, but as I think we all know; nothing is free here. Not even adopting a pup of dog from shelters since you have to pay some money to the fundation, but that's just charity and the prior care of the dog.

I created a topic like a month ago regarding a little bit about "why not buying pups, instead adopt" and other stuff. You can read about it here: http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=23522

Purity

Post by Purity » Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:41 pm

Very nice information on that; yes, I agree going to a shelter is more reliable due to healthcare (shots, fitness, and overall health) and pricing. You never know how much 'free' really is.

I think Shelters are also better than pet stores; in shelters, you save the animal from possible put-down and such. In a nice, fancy pet store, all you're doing in getting yet another spoiled dog not worth half of it's price.
Last edited by Purity on Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Serengeti_Rose
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Serengeti_Rose » Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:41 pm

I agree, my friend got a dog from a pet store the likely gets it dogs from a puppy mill, and that dog it hyper-active and isn't spayed. But I think she learned after my five-minute lecture why she shouldn't buy and instead adopt.
Eight Belles Chime before each race, Eight Belles chime because it was too late...
I replace you soul with Darth Vader. *cue theme music* - Both by me

How'd ya like a 90MPH Sand dune in your toe? - My friend's mom

paperpaws
Former WQ Moderator

Post by paperpaws » Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:08 am

My uncle bought a kitty once who actually was supposed to be snakefood D<

And yes, there are always warnings that you never should give pets away for free.

silverwolfattack
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Location: Celebrating not just The Spirits of Halloween in the Air, But also the home come of my Heart;Kaze!

Post by silverwolfattack » Sat Sep 12, 2009 3:45 pm

But if no one took the free ones they would die alone.... thats why i soemwhat disagree witht his fourm but yet still correct we shouldnt take free ones but umm theyd die out there all alone. i dont think any one would want that right :?:
I Need a miricle i Want To be your Girl.. Give me a chance to see that you are made for me ...I need a miricle Please let me be your girl One day youll see it can happen to me
Avvie @ NightShadows

Katedaph
Pup
Pup

Post by Katedaph » Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:58 pm

Actually, if I found a box of free cats/dogs on the side of the road, I'd ask my parent or other adult with me to find out whether we could take them to the nearest shelter.

Sintact

Post by Sintact » Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:18 pm

Be Conscience

Most of the people will opt for buying a 4 months old dog pup than adopting one adult dog pup that really need help and a shelter. I’m aware that in the US they do the same as here in Chile. If the dog is not adopted or it doesn’t get along with humans, they will kill it since they use space, food and are considered a waste of money.

Why don’t we adopt a dog instead of having a pup? They are exactly the same, they have tail, they are healthy, they walk in four legs, and they bark, they move, they are friends, they are loyal and I assure you. Dogs that are adopted will be grateful of having an owner that will take care of them, play with them, etc.

In the time I was volunteer, the dogs I knew were the most carrying and loyal creatures I have ever meet, cats only wanted someone to take care of them, they followed you everywhere asking for someone to touch them, same with dogs. They whimpered for attention, and when a new person came to see them, they went crazy for them; they were happy and excited because they thought they will be free once again, but this time with a collar.

Please, if you want a new dog, consider adopting a stray or a dog in need, don’t buy one, there are also pups that need to be adopted.

Remember that almost any problem you have with your dog can be traced back to the way you treat your dog. That means that the problem can almost ALWAYS be addressed. Whether it's your dog going to the bathroom in the house, obsessive behaviors, neurotic behaviors, chewing himself, over excitability, excessive barking, whining, not obeying commands, not coming when called, running off, getting into the trash, destroying things in the house, obsessive digging, chewing the furniture, tail chasing, scratching, aggression towards other dogs, aggression towards other animals, aggression towards humans, snapping, biting, growling -- most problems with dogs can be overcome, if YOU will make the commitment and budget time regularly -- and the results will be not only a better-behaved dog, but a relationship with your dog that will be one of the most precious things you have ever experienced. Don't give up on your dog!

Garion1

Post by Garion1 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:17 pm

silverwolfattack wrote:But if no one took the free ones they would die alone.... thats why i soemwhat disagree witht his fourm but yet still correct we shouldnt take free ones but umm theyd die out there all alone. i dont think any one would want that right :?:
i think your right its not fair that those "free ones get to be left alone while the adoptible ones are being bought up quickley. But i also agree with the article thats why i sugest you ask quesyions about the piticular animal you are getting and if you are not satisfied find a different seller or giver.
I am a woman and I reserve the right to be inconsistent!

Memories

Post by Memories » Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:18 pm

It all depends on the dimeaner of the dog for me.. some free ones are as sweet as can be; others will snap at you in a heart beat, i honestly have no prefereence but i always look into the dog before suggesting or concidering wiether or not to buy it.

paperpaws
Former WQ Moderator

Post by paperpaws » Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:15 am

Sintact wrote:
Be Conscience

Most of the people will opt for buying a 4 months old dog pup than adopting one adult dog pup that really need help and a shelter. I’m aware that in the US they do the same as here in Chile. If the dog is not adopted or it doesn’t get along with humans, they will kill it since they use space, food and are considered a waste of money.

Why don’t we adopt a dog instead of having a pup? They are exactly the same, they have tail, they are healthy, they walk in four legs, and they bark, they move, they are friends, they are loyal and I assure you. Dogs that are adopted will be grateful of having an owner that will take care of them, play with them, etc.

In the time I was volunteer, the dogs I knew were the most carrying and loyal creatures I have ever meet, cats only wanted someone to take care of them, they followed you everywhere asking for someone to touch them, same with dogs. They whimpered for attention, and when a new person came to see them, they went crazy for them; they were happy and excited because they thought they will be free once again, but this time with a collar.

Please, if you want a new dog, consider adopting a stray or a dog in need, don’t buy one, there are also pups that need to be adopted.

Remember that almost any problem you have with your dog can be traced back to the way you treat your dog. That means that the problem can almost ALWAYS be addressed. Whether it's your dog going to the bathroom in the house, obsessive behaviors, neurotic behaviors, chewing himself, over excitability, excessive barking, whining, not obeying commands, not coming when called, running off, getting into the trash, destroying things in the house, obsessive digging, chewing the furniture, tail chasing, scratching, aggression towards other dogs, aggression towards other animals, aggression towards humans, snapping, biting, growling -- most problems with dogs can be overcome, if YOU will make the commitment and budget time regularly -- and the results will be not only a better-behaved dog, but a relationship with your dog that will be one of the most precious things you have ever experienced. Don't give up on your dog!
I agree with this... I mean, a puppy can have a lot more in his life. If no-one takes it and it gets put down... That is just a waste.

Memories

Post by Memories » Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:05 am

it is a very unfortunate waste... i feel sorry for all those animals i wish i could take them all but sadly i have not the room.

Nikore
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Nikore » Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:48 pm

This is very true! Another problem about giving away animals for "free" is that the person that adopted the animal didn't realize what they were getting into and a lot of pets end up in shelters that way. It's great that you shared this! People need to be more aware of it.
I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.

x0xHopex0x

Post by x0xHopex0x » Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:25 pm

Yes, this is very ture. The problem though is you have to pay for any animal because the shelter in my area is very bad they don't give out shots or anything just food and water so they have lots and lots of dieseases. In other words take it to the vet before you put it in your home or something bad might come.

Sunawa
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Sunawa » Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:43 pm

This is very true.When people get animals,they are usually very un-aware of the costs for food,beds,vet visits ect.
▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇

True Love Is When You Would Die For Them
Or When Nothing Matters But Helping Them Through.

▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇

If Every Girl Could See Her Beauty, We Would Be An Army.

Return to “Take Action”