Snake Saved

Discuss how to take action in helping wildlife and the environment.

Moderator: Isela

Numair18
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Snake Saved

Post by Numair18 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:44 pm

I saved a garter snake today!! Someone's cat was playing with it and I picked it up and moved it! It felt so cool! I held it at the back of it's head so that it couldn't bite me. I also wouldn't advise just any person to go around picking up snakes at random. The only reason I picked this one up at all was because I knew it was not a poisonous snake, it was in danger of being killed, and I knew how to pick it up.
Not all who wander are lost

It seems that I have been held
....In this dreaming state
.A tourist in the waking world
....Yet never quite awake

Avatar © Randoven (still Fidd to me ^^)

εıș

Lupin - My Daemon

Believe.

Together we stand, divided we fall.

bonsaipotato
Pup
Pup

Re: Snake Saved

Post by bonsaipotato » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:27 am

yea we used to get those awesome lil things all the time but then our chickens started eating them, and 2 things, 1they don't bite 2, they pee and its sticky and smelly and doesn't come out if they pee on u so i wouldn't Pick one up again. XD
coolest avie in the world by Xo-Hope-oX

Wolves rule! coyotes drool!

pinkytini
Pup
Pup

Post by pinkytini » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:49 am

snakes scare me. good job for saving the snake!
TEAM JACOB!!!!

,---------------,
| Coca-Cola |,,|"""\,__,
| _________ |,,||_|_ ||)
/(@)(@)**/(@)***/(@)

patsy2784
Pup
Pup

Post by patsy2784 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:12 pm

its always nice when people do things like that, i remember when i was six or so i would pick worms up from the drive way and put them in the grass every time i saw one stuck in a puddle. (alive ones of course, not ones that were splatted on the drive way lol)
------------------~I Support The Alliance~-----------------

Numair18
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by Numair18 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:09 pm

I used to do that, too! Every small act of kindness helps, not matter how corny that sounds.
Not all who wander are lost

It seems that I have been held
....In this dreaming state
.A tourist in the waking world
....Yet never quite awake

Avatar © Randoven (still Fidd to me ^^)

εıș

Lupin - My Daemon

Believe.

Together we stand, divided we fall.

ShatteredSoul

Post by ShatteredSoul » Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:50 pm

Numair18 wrote:I saved a garter snake today!! Someone's cat was playing with it and I picked it up and moved it! It felt so cool! I held it at the back of it's head so that it couldn't bite me. I also wouldn't advise just any person to go around picking up snakes at random. The only reason I picked this one up at all was because I knew it was not a poisonous snake, it was in danger of being killed, and I knew how to pick it up.
Haha, a cat was playing with that snake? LOL I would love to see that! What a brave cat! Anyway, that's nice from you saving that snake.

Nightskydapple
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training
Location: Waiting for "Her" to turn back and realise I'm here enduring the pain.

Post by Nightskydapple » Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:06 pm

:mrgreen: oh yes I saved a blue-tongue lizard from being run over.
It was on the pedestrian crossing, I don't know how i did it :?
And once I saved this cat from these little kids. Well little boys they were poking and teasing, pointing fingers at the poor little kitty. So i just pushed them aside and took the kitten home and put up a missing poster. And soon the owner came to collect it.
~Yeah I'm smiling,[/color]Inside dieing.~
Behind this fake mask of mine,
Paper thin lies, what I wished for most is a paper heart,
then you can't come and destroy and tear it apart like you
did to my last one.~

Gloria Crystal
Yearling
Yearling

Post by Gloria Crystal » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:02 am

Awww ... I'm terrified of snakes
It's so frightening :o .
Once I saw a small snake, and even small, someone stomped on her head and killed her
Well, but... Good job even! :D
Last edited by Gloria Crystal on Thu May 20, 2010 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
......There's song that's inside of my soul......
...... It's the one I call......
.......HOWL......

grape500
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by grape500 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:56 am

i'm just wondering why are some people so scared of snakes because i'm not really same with spiders i quite like snakes and spiders (though that might be one time i went somewhere i don't know where and i held a very big snake (not by myself and i think it was big anyway) and a tarantula)
Avvie by me

-x-Zaroque-x-
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

Post by -x-Zaroque-x- » Sat May 15, 2010 7:47 am

Well done for you.

Just remember, before you go near/handle a Snake. Always identify it with a proper identification Book. To know if it's poinsess or not. It is a very important ritural to perform!
..../\/\/\/...........------- Who am I? -------
.........../..........I'm Captain Jack Sparrow!

............\/\/\/.....Avatar © Gingerwolff <3

grape500
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by grape500 » Sat May 15, 2010 9:46 am

are there any snakes dangerous to humans in engalnd? anyway it was at some place where they knew what they were doing (as far as i was aware)
Avvie by me

-x-Zaroque-x-
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

Post by -x-Zaroque-x- » Sat May 15, 2010 9:50 am

there are only three Native breeds of snake in England, I believe they are not dangerous.

1. Grass Snake
2. Smooth Snake
3. Adder

The Adder is quite a small snake with a length of around sixty centimetres and is one of three snakes found in England. The other two snakes are the Grass Snake and the Smooth Snake. It can be found throughout the country on heaths, moors, open woodlands and in rough grassland.

The Adder can easily be recognised because it has a brown or black zigzag pattern running down the length of its back. Another noticeable feature of the Adder is a ‘V’ shaped marking on the back of its head. The Adder, unlike the two other native snakes, is known as a viper because it is a venomous. It has hollow fangs which poison runs through when it wants to kill an animal.

The Adder is very a secretive reptile that likes to hide in holes, crevices and burrows made by other animals. Like all reptiles, Adders are cold-blooded which means they need the heat of the sun to make them more active. Adders also hibernate and often shed their skins soon after they have emerged from hibernation. These skins can sometimes be found on country walks.

The Grass Snake is the largest of the three snakes found in England. The other two snakes are the Adder and the Smooth Snake. It can be found throughout the country in marshes, fens, bogs and also in woodlands and meadows that have water nearby. It is sometimes known as the Water Snake because it spends a lot of time in water.

The Grass Snake is about one metre in length and usually has a green coloured body with small black markings running down the length of it. It is also called the Ringed Snake because it has a yellow band behind its head. The yellow band can be seen quite clearly when the Grass Snake is in water.

Grass Snakes are very secretive reptiles that often dive under water and hide between water weeds if they get disturbed. Like other reptiles, they are cold-blooded which means they need the heat of the sun to make them more active. Grass Snakes also hibernate and often shed their skins soon after they have emerged from hibernation. These skins can sometimes be found on country walks.

The Smooth Snake is a very rare snake that can only be found in limited parts of England in Dorset, Hampshire, Surrey and West Sussex. It lives on heathlands that have dense vegetation and light sandy soil. It needs sandy soil so it can dig a burrow to hide and rest in. It is one of three native snakes which include the Adder and the Grass Snake.

The Smooth Snake is a relatively small snake with a length of about fifty to seventy centimetres. It can easily be recognised because it has a large dark heart-shaped patch on the top of its head. It also has a black stripe on each side of its face. The male Smooth Snake is a brownish red colour and the female is greyish green.

The Smooth Snake is a very secretive snake that spends a lot of time hiding under the ground or under rocks and stones. It is not a venomous snake like the Adder so it kills it prey by wrapping its coils around it. Like all reptiles, Smooth Snakes are cold-blooded which means they need the heat of the sun to make them more active. Smooth Snakes moult their skins once or twice a year. They also hibernate underground between October and April when the weather is very cold.

pure music chaos
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by pure music chaos » Sun May 16, 2010 4:37 am

i love snakes. I have a pet grass snake.... if you could call it a pet haha.

He is rrally cute if you look in his face and really quite tame. I can hold him and he is quite happy just to sit there :D
Avviie By lunaLynn :D its great ^^

>>- - - Proud Hunter to the Fdshfbvsk band - - - <<

-x-Zaroque-x-
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

Post by -x-Zaroque-x- » Sun May 16, 2010 4:39 am

Aww that's sweet

It's a shame when people think Snakes are horrible