General Animal Take-Action Topics

Discuss how to take action in helping wildlife and the environment.

Moderator: Isela

silverpelt 457
Pup
Pup

Re: saving dogs

Post by silverpelt 457 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:03 pm

No, I don't know of anybody that does.
#STRIPCLUB
(all wee doo iz streap)

Alcuzey
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training
Location: Now again, I found myself so far down, away from the sun that shines into the darkest place.

Post by Alcuzey » Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:25 am

As soon as I get a stable home, I'm going to foster rottweilers, the most beautiful and powerful of all breeds. :3
My dog if half-rottie, and he has me adoring the breed!
Avatar made by me using graphics from 1994 game WOLF
Keep a lookout for the next online wolf simulation. Coming soon!!
Wolfonline.co.cc

Gaara89
Pup
Pup

Re: i saved a bunny!

Post by Gaara89 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:30 pm

It would cost the zoo money to heal the rabbit, not as much as the other animals like lions and what not but they might have decided to put it down if they couldnt heal its foot. Same with a vet, Vets dont help animals unless theres money involved. I brought a stray cat to the vets once it was Skin and bone and it had no collar, when the vet checked it over she said it didnt even have a Chip either. She was asking me to take it home and probably care for it, but i couldnt as i have 2 dogs and they hated cats, if they had the chance they would kill one. And not just that my dad was getting sick of animals as he classed them as messy, but no matter how many times i told her i couldnt take it home she wouldnt take no for an answer. Even though they had kennels in the back of their place. In the end i had to let it go. Vets call themselves animal lovers but they only care about money. Not all of them but most.

there was another were my oldest sister took her cat to the vets when she was a kitten, when a male vet checked her over he said that she had a hole in her heart and asked if she would put the kitten through a operation, my sister said not yet lets see how she goes. A few days later she took her to the RSPCA, the vets started checking her over and my sister mentioned to them about the hole in the kittens heart, the vet told her that there wasnt anything wrong with the kitten, it was healthy and it didnt have a heart defect. So the other vets told my sister to get the cat operated when there wasnt anything wrong with it just to get more money :x The same happened with my guinea pigs, i took them all to the vets to get the checked up on as they were getting mites, even though i knew what was wrong with them they still charged me 80 pounds. Then they said that i needed to give them this spoton stuff thats for dogs and cats. But i said i'll come down for it another time when i get paid, i looked on the net to find that spot on has killed some guinea pigs and rabbits that have used it. So i decided not to go back for it, instead i bathed the guinea pigs in Mite shampoo that you can get in the pets shop, I bathed them about 3 times and it worked their hair has started growing back. But i bathed them like once a week or less.

pawnee
Former WQ Moderator

Re: SAVING CATS

Post by pawnee » Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:39 pm

My Wolf Art http://pawnee.deviantart.com/
Its Not the Size of the dog in the fight, Its the size of the fight in the dog-Mark Twain

pawnee
Former WQ Moderator

Post by pawnee » Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:47 pm

One way you can help is simply volunteering at a shelter to walk the dogs. Usually staff is under funded or busy...so dogs are not given as much personal time as needed. It may seem a small thing but its probably the part of the day that the dog looks forward to the most.

I also reccemend looking at shelters or organizations/shelter to adopt a dog. Simply because a dog is older does not mean it will not give you the same companionship as say, a puppy.
My Wolf Art http://pawnee.deviantart.com/
Its Not the Size of the dog in the fight, Its the size of the fight in the dog-Mark Twain

Nor-easter Forecast

Post by Nor-easter Forecast » Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:06 pm

pawnee wrote:I also recommend looking at shelters or organizations/shelter to adopt a dog. Simply because a dog is older does not mean it will not give you the same companionship as say, a puppy.
That is very true, although most people prefer puppies because they "are more trainable". I think this to be false information, old dogs take a bit longer to catch on but can learn command fairly quickly. I trained my dog when he was five to answer to a special call, he picked it up within a month.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
ˢ ʳ ˢ
ˢ ʳʸʰ ˢ ʰ
ˣ ˢ ʰˢ,
ʰ ʳʸʰ
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

av/sig/quote © coyoteflu/LupinzPack/patty griffin

Alcuzey
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training
Location: Now again, I found myself so far down, away from the sun that shines into the darkest place.

Post by Alcuzey » Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:11 pm

Older dogs are actually easier to train than pups. Their brains are more developed. You just have to realise what breed you are dealing with.
My black lab rottweiler mix( two of the top ten smartest breeds) is 8 years old and can learn a trick in 2 days. He knows every trick I've ever tried to teach him and know the commands in Spanish, Latin, and hand signals :3
.......and yes I do have too much time on my hands.
Wolfonline.co.cc

Nor-easter Forecast

Post by Nor-easter Forecast » Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:20 pm

Alcuzey wrote:Older dogs are actually easier to train than pups. Their brains are more developed. You just have to realise what breed you are dealing with.
My black lab rottweiler mix( two of the top ten smartest breeds) is 8 years old and can learn a trick in 2 days. He knows every trick I've ever tried to teach him and know the commands in Spanish, Latin, and hand signals :3
Consistency is what makes some older dogs easy to train, however if you stop teaching them for two/three years it gets harder.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
ˢ ʳ ˢ
ˢ ʳʸʰ ˢ ʰ
ˣ ˢ ʰˢ,
ʰ ʳʸʰ
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

av/sig/quote © coyoteflu/LupinzPack/patty griffin

ZippyWizard
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Take action!3 ways to get involved with animals!

Post by ZippyWizard » Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:35 pm

1.Going to local Zoos.Your entry fee, even $1, helps feed the animals living there.
2.Tell friends about WolfQuest!Remember-every dollar goes to Zoos, to feed wolves.
3.Get involved.Learn about wolves as much as you can, they may not be here in a few years.

~These are my ideas, but you can put these anywhere, just ask!~

~ANIUxKODI~

:D :D :D :D :
You walk like a storm, and I will follow.

Lowell
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Lowell » Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:50 am

Alcuzey wrote:As soon as I get a stable home, I'm going to foster rottweilers, the most beautiful and powerful of all breeds. :3
My dog if half-rottie, and he has me adoring the breed!

actually there not the most powerful, i THINK its the pitbull (my favorite dog:D) but pits arnt the #1 in the dogs that bite chart. (idk what its really called i just called it that) its the german shephard. so pits arnt bad just the owners.

and if i find a dog on the streets all pick it up and take care of it until i find it a home.
Lowell: Derived from the Anglo-French lovel (wolf cub), which is a diminutive form of love (wolf). Var: Louvel, Lowe, Lowell.

i got my names from : http://www.lowchensaustralia.com/names/wolfnames.htm

Lowell
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Lowell » Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:52 am

Alcuzey wrote:Older dogs are actually easier to train than pups. Their brains are more developed. You just have to realise what breed you are dealing with.
wow Alcuzey, you have a really smart dog! XD
Lowell: Derived from the Anglo-French lovel (wolf cub), which is a diminutive form of love (wolf). Var: Louvel, Lowe, Lowell.

i got my names from : http://www.lowchensaustralia.com/names/wolfnames.htm

Alcuzey
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Alcuzey » Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:00 am

Thanks!
Rotties beat Pitts and Shepherds on the bite. Nat Geo recently did an experiment and the Rottie crushed the competition.

Wolfonline.co.cc

SolitaryHowl
Skilled Hunter
Skilled Hunter

Post by SolitaryHowl » Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:05 am

I adopted a dog, Suka, from the shelter around 7 months ago. Everyone says he is very well behaved - and he is. Even though he is around 6 years old - he still learns new tricks very quickly. It's probably because of his breed - a Siberian Husky.

Anyways, back to helping dogs...

I tried to volunteer at my local humane society...but they never got back to me like they said they would. I am not old enough to walk the dogs (the requirement is 21, probably for liability issues) but I can do other things.

I will apply again this year. Hopefully they'll call me.
Former WolfQuest Moderator. 2009 - 2011

animorphs1234
Pup
Pup
Location: Hugging on Rocks and Shayshay *Huggles them and takes their cookie*

Re: Take action! 3 ways to get involved with animals!

Post by animorphs1234 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:57 pm

Well I will give $25 to the humane society for animals ! ^^ I will also catch every lost animal I see and give them back to their parent or give them to a foster. I will also sign up for animal abuse websites so I could give them money for those poor animals !
"Hate me, I will only love ya more ^.^"-GrayStar
Proud Delta and Medicine Wolf of FrozenWaterFallsPack
<3Roxxy,Shade,Lies,Roxi<3
I am a Goth/Punk Hybrid