Spay and Neuter!

Discuss how to take action in helping wildlife and the environment.

Moderators: paperpaws, Isela

Snowmuzzle
Yearling
Yearling

Re: To fix or not to fix?

Post by Snowmuzzle » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:04 am

I was saying that people should think twice before breeding their dog on purpose instead of just breeding for the cute babies and not planning ahead on where to home them, etc. I think stuff like that is sometimes better left to the professionals who know all about which dogs are good for breeding and which ones should be left out, for example those with epilepsy. Though I strongly agree that the choice should be down to the owners.
Thou shalt not put musicians on ridiculous pedestals, no matter how great they are... or were.

LnknPark
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Location: Around my town helpin' the new kids out. Finally some new kids!

Post by LnknPark » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:19 am

I think atleast females should be spayed. Spaying prevents heat cycles, and neutering helps prevent roaming, fighting, and gets rid of the chances of testical cancer. Neutering can also help prevent rabies, along with the shots of course. All of my dogs are spayed/neutered. Plus, there are enough dogs and cats in the world, so many don't have homes, and big, black dogs are usually the last to be adopted, and the first to be euthanized.
Nobody really cares about how I feel, nobody really cares about where I am, nobody really cares about what I say, all people care about is if I'm away from here.
Avvie by a person!! XD Definetly not me!

Evirith
Pup
Pup

Post by Evirith » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:41 pm

Well, It's up to the owner if they want to fix their pets. It prevents more helpless animals on the streets, and also prevents shelters from overflowing with animals that will just be humanely uthinized. And it also helps with the behavior with male cats, I've heard. But, If everything is fine I don't really think It should be done.

wq47 HawkTail
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Spay and Neuter!

Post by wq47 HawkTail » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:31 pm

We are having tough times now, and for animals it is no different. Unfortunately, the animals dont know about these tough times, and still continue to breed. Millions of strays are being born this second around the globe. Spaying and neutering helps keep the population under control, and saves un-wanted baby animals from going into shelters, where they may die( shelters do there best, but it does not always turn out well) of health problems they aqquired on the street. Did you know that of all the billions of animals going into shelters each year in America, only about forty percent get out alive? This is one reason to spay and neuter("fix") your pets. it is not as expensive as you think, and it will save many lives from being born into this world as it is right now. Thank you for reading this post.
I have migrated to the account A Needlepoint Dreary for no reason c:. Follow me there and on dA;

http://www.macabre-x-macbeth.deviantart.com

Kiyaya
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Re: Spay and Neuter!

Post by Kiyaya » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:48 pm

I completely agree. There are plenty of animals up for adoption, and plenty more who wont get a home. If each person spays or nueters their pet, we can save other dogs who are here and do need homes, while making sure new animals dont have to suffer alone in a shelter only to be put down.
Lalalala~!

wq47 HawkTail
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by wq47 HawkTail » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:22 am

all my animals are spayed and neutered, except the youngest kitty.she is seven months and getting spayed tomorrow morning :D there was a boy cat at our door last night so im glad she is getting fixed
I have migrated to the account A Needlepoint Dreary for no reason c:. Follow me there and on dA;

SolitaryHowl
Skilled Hunter
Skilled Hunter

Post by SolitaryHowl » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:41 pm

Suka's neutered. He came that way at the shelter, so that's good.
Former WolfQuest Moderator. 2009 - 2011

Slipknot

Post by Slipknot » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:23 pm

I completely agree. There's also a bunch of "back yard breeders"; random pet owners who have no experience in breeding just letting their pets mate and have babies for "fun". I knew a guy once who was talking about letting their aussie and LABRADOODLE have puppies! first of all the labradoodle is a mutt and the pups are mixes too and there is no reason to add to the homeless pet population when there's millions of mutt AND purebred puppies in pounds that you can adopt instead. my neighbor was one of these back yard breeders and he bred his two merle aussies together. if he was an experienced licensed breeder he would have known that is not a good idea, for the double merle gene can be lethal to the puppies. and it was. 2 out of 4 of the pups were born DEAF and one of the deaf ones had weird deformed eyeballs. FIX YOUR ANIMALS!!!!!!!!!!!!

wq47 HawkTail
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by wq47 HawkTail » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:37 pm

I feel very sorry for the Aussies! They are beautiful dogs. I'm thirteen and even i know that breeding two dogs with an albino- like gene can cause problems! The same goes for horses, you should never breed two Albino's or two Palomino's. )0_0

timberwolf9944
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by timberwolf9944 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:41 am

my Maltese got fix it was the worse thing iv ever done now he is more aggressive then ever

GraniteHowl
Yearling
Yearling

Post by GraniteHowl » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:34 pm

i COMPLETELY agree with you! sad about the Aussies, pretty dogs.
all the dogs my family has ever owned are fixed.
when my mom got our dog, she saw an ad that said like $50 poodle puppies! or something
later she drove over and found out it was a puppy mill
basically the man came out with ten or so puppies and dropped them there. it smelled bad and she could see the owner did NOT have a breeding liscense and let his dogs, or MUTTS, breed with any dog, whenever, and was just a bad place to buy puppies from. thankfully we found a different breeder, had a liscense (and proved it) and showed us the parents along with the dogs certification stuff or whatever. the thing is, with the puppy mill, many of the pups could have had genetic mutations, problems, and like the other

i am against puppy mills and all like it. many dogs i know are spayed or neutered and those who arent, they should.
many humane societies encouraged getting your pet fixed, and save many poor kittens and puppys lives.
one pair of dogs can produce around a hundred offspring in three years!

Sorry for my ranting and all, just bothers me

African Stars Pack
http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=45816

-x-Zaroque-x-
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

Post by -x-Zaroque-x- » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:36 am

SolitaryHowl wrote:Suka's neutered. He came that way at the shelter, so that's good.
Yes, if their not neutered and bred, could they spread bad things to the Pack or wolves around them?
..../\/\/\/...........------- Who am I? -------
.........../..........I'm Captain Jack Sparrow!

............\/\/\/.....Avatar © Gingerwolff <3

wq47 HawkTail
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by wq47 HawkTail » Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:14 pm

Lyenza wrote:
SolitaryHowl wrote:Suka's neutered. He came that way at the shelter, so that's good.
Yes, if their not neutered and bred, could they spread bad things to the Pack or wolves around them?
Yes, they very well could. Another good thing is to keep your pets' vaccinations up to date as well.

blackscar
Pup
Pup

Post by blackscar » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:10 pm

my cats nurtured she spent the night at the vet she scratched every one
REDWALL!!!!!!

BADGER LORDS of SALAMANDASTRON

O{ not O{ stop fish coloring today!!

Britska

Post by Britska » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:32 pm

Neutering your pets will decrease the amount of stray animals found outside, and also help the shelters with decreasing the number of the animals. I simply have my two out of the three dogs neutered, my other one that isn't cannot because of a reaction to the sleeping medicine.

Return to “Take Action”