Spay and Neuter!

Discuss how to take action in helping wildlife and the environment.

Moderators: paperpaws, Isela

User avatar
-x-Zaroque-x-
New Pack Member
New Pack Member
Posts: 3454
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:16 pm
Gender: Female
Location: UK, Suffolk, East Angila.

Re: Spay and Neuter!

Post by -x-Zaroque-x- » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:45 pm

wolfquest47 wrote:
Lyenza wrote:
SolitaryHowl wrote:Suka's neutered. He came that way at the shelter, so that's good.
Yes, if their not neutered and bred, could they spread bad things to the Pack or wolves around them?
Yes, they very well could. Another good thing is to keep your pets' vaccinations up to date as well.
Yes, Pets vaccinations' is very important to help stopping bad illnesess.
..../\/\/\/...........------- Who am I? -------
.........../..........I'm Captain Jack Sparrow!

............\/\/\/.....Avatar © Gingerwolff <3

User avatar
pawnee
Former WQ Moderator
Posts: 2483
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:05 pm
Location: the far north
Contact:

Re: Spay and Neuter!

Post by pawnee » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:11 pm

Just for the record

Male animals: neuterd or gelded (for horses and equines)
Female animals: Spayed

There are some low fee or free spay and neuter clinics, which I think are a great idea. Some people can't afford to have their pets fixed, so by having the operation performed for free it helps the owner and the animal by preventing future health problems.

Most animals that are fixed live a less stressful life compaired to those still intact...pets will try to get out when in season, become territorial and also mark their territory. It also means that they can become more aggressive towards animals of the same gender.

I would say most people find it acceptable to fix their pet in this day and age. My dog and cat are both fixed.
My Wolf Art http://pawnee.deviantart.com/
Its Not the Size of the dog in the fight, Its the size of the fight in the dog-Mark Twain

User avatar
Kivia
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 5618
Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:10 pm
Gender: Female
Location: Northern California
Contact:

Re: Spay and Neuter!

Post by Kivia » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:23 pm

Both my cat and dog are fixed, and our new dog that we're getting is going to get neutered as well as soon as we set up an appointment for him.

Spaying and neutering is a great way to help keep the number of homeless pets down. The euthanasia rate would decrease rapidly if everyone took the time to go get their pets fixed.^^

User avatar
Feelah
Pup
Pup
Posts: 30
Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:25 am
Gender: Female

Re: Spay and Neuter!

Post by Feelah » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:42 pm

Please refrain from using inappropriate language. This is a family friendly site. This is a great topic and I would hate to destroy it because of something so minor. Please PM me if you have an issue with this...


Our cat is neutered and that's okay. He can't mark his territory (including home) and cannot collect dangerous diseases. Also, he isn't able to produce kittens for our dumb animal shelteres here.
Why "dumb animal shelters"? They don't want to let you adopt one pet (yes, we tried - not only once). They don't know their character and the "donation" is as high as a common breeder - for a most likely insane animal that dislikes human beings. Also, I know three dogs from our lokal shelter. All were pinched from hunger (they lived for at least 6 months in the shelter, enough time to take care of them). The male is highly aggressive beause of his angst and the two females were/are traumatized. All three dogs were sold as family dogs. Ok, a classic family include children but a child would get bitten by the dogs. That's so sure like the Amen in church. These dogs were all adoped by experienced persons who owned dogs for long years and they have sometimes problems with these dogs. Why I tell this? Animal shelters aren't as holy as some wish they were.

My friend lost her beloved guy after that operation. Oh, yes the mortal rate's statistical very low. It's the very bestest thing to tell while she hugs this little body and cry and pray and despair knowing it won't ever be able to hunt butterflies or basking in the sun. Why? Because spaying and neutering is en vogue. I wonder, why no animal lover population runned over us before the idea of neutering popped up. :roll:
The only reason named for that operation was "keeping the number of abandoned animals low". Only for interest, would you vote for spaying humans to keep the number of ophans low too? Ewww noes? There are other methods for birth control? Well, believe it or not, you can use it for animals too. The easiest way to prevent females become pregnant is to keep them away from males in the hot days.
The very only reason to spay my dog would be health problems. I won't maim her because some guys want to sell their prized animals.

Ok, now Albino x Albino breeding. You do have this problem with some genetic traits. For example, you can cross two Ablino ball pythons. You cannot cross two chinamon ball pythons. That'd cause massive embyro damage. You can cross a black pastel and a chinnamon ball python. Chinnamon and black pastel have the same appearance but the genes are different. Funny enough, you can cross two black pastel ball pythons.

The breeder was not an ignorant jerk, he simply didn't know the mortal factor. I therefore declare a 12-months - genetic study as the duty for every breeder ;)
Never forget, dog is the easier name for domestic wolf, Canis lupus familaris , it´s a highly variable subspecies aka race of Canis lupus. There are a bunch of mixes and that's fine. They all show that breeding different breeds is mostly no problem. You really should curse the breeders of breeds with horrible deformations like a short nose a curled tail or a permanent bristle. They have massive health problems (in age) or cannot communicate in a proper way. What would you think of a person that shows permanent her teeth because of a deformation? The best way is when you try to get along but there are people who try to avoid or attack (verbally) that person. Is that okay? Ok, back to topic.

Spay and neuter sounds like a bad excuse for being unable to bring up your family member. It'd be trapped for ever in the state of a child, nerver being able to mature and develop its body. Pets are living beings, no roboters that have to function. It's only biological that they can reproduce themselves.
The best help to prevent animals getting in an animal shelter is a good childhood, a helping and leading hand, caring and planing people. When you rise your puppy well to a gentle and proud dog, you won't give it away because you cannot handle it anymore. When you planned if a dog fits in your (future) live before you buy one there'd be no need to give it away. When you show your puppy enough things in its environment and show that you guard it from bad stuff, it won't turn into a shivering picture of misery.

That's my opinion and I didn't plan to attack anyone nor will I force my opinion into anyones mind. Maybe you think about my arguments. Maybe you don't. I have not much time so it won't be likely that I read your answers :D
That is not dead which can eternal lie.

And with strange aeons even death may die


Pack member of The Silver Ice Pack

User avatar
pawnee
Former WQ Moderator
Posts: 2483
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:05 pm
Location: the far north
Contact:

Re: Spay and Neuter!

Post by pawnee » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:07 pm

Amberchild, I edited your post for you in terms of language. Please watch your language because the next time I can't say it'll happen agian and I do like debates.

Anyways, the death rate for the reaction to the sleeping drug on an operation table is about 1 in a 1000. Never the less its upseting to see your pet dead over a minor surgey...sometimes the animal can be saved sometimes they can't. I'm not sure if their is ever a way to 'test' these drugs on the patient before hand. But its a risk you take when you sign the papers, though older animals seem more likely to have this happen to them.

The thing is with animal shelters is that no matter how many animals you adopt ot put down their will always be more. You never heard of a homeless animal crisis in the 50's or whatnot because animal 'shelters' consisted of putting down animals, not adopting them out.

In a perfect world I would say people could leave their animals intact if they took responsibility. But the fact is that many individuals do not. Some people I talk to say they keep male pets so they don't have to deal with the pregnancy of the females, but they refuse to neuter their own animal and then let them out. Thats just irresponsible in my opinion.
Also dogs and cats live un natural lives as it is; they live longer, eat non natural dried food and sleep all day. Even if fixing an animal is un natural, its not like they were ever wild to begin with. As you said, fixing animals relieves the pet of health problems associated with being intact and are usually more relaxed than intact animals. The problem with oral contraceptives and animals is that animals don't have daily routines and it requires the owners to adminster the drug effectivly over a period of time to ensure it works. That would mean a lot more extra time and resources needed for already under staffed animal shelters and control operations as is. Fixing animals is the cheapest (sadly it always comes down to money) solution to the pet overpopulation crisis. atleast thats my two cents anyways, I can't speak for every pet owner on here. :D
My Wolf Art http://pawnee.deviantart.com/
Its Not the Size of the dog in the fight, Its the size of the fight in the dog-Mark Twain

Asheek
Yearling
Yearling
Posts: 466
Joined: Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:27 am
Gender: Female
Location: Everywhere!

Re: To fix or not to fix?

Post by Asheek » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:48 pm

If and when do get my own dogs (most likely a saluki) I wont fix/spay them. They are know to gain weight and their coat becomes 'fuzzy'. It depends on the dog and owner in my opnion. I dont approve of backyard breeders nor of the over priced pet store dogs...shelters lie abouts a dogs behavior just to get them adopted (I have proof,they said my dog was leash trained, Alie. And had basic training and that too was a lie) I really think if people plan to breed they need to think deep and long about care and whatnot.
................................α s h є є k
.................קг๏ย๔ ๒єtค Ŧє๓คlє ๏Ŧ tђє รtคг lเﻮђt קคςк

User avatar
Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator
Posts: 12940
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:53 pm
Gender: Female
Contact:

Re: Spay and Neuter!

Post by Koa » Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:33 pm

Some animal shelters require to let them spay or neuter the animal before a person attempts adoption, which personally I find great because you really never know with some people..even if the shelters do extensive background research.
We spay/neuter all of our dogs.
YOU SAY YOU WANT TO GET BETTER AND YOU DON'T KNOW HOW.

User avatar
Nightskydapple
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training
Posts: 236
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:38 am
Gender: Male
Location: Waiting for "Her" to turn back and realise I'm here enduring the pain.

Re: To fix or not to fix?

Post by Nightskydapple » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:44 pm

It's mainly up to the owner whether or not to spay their pets. (especially cats)
(But cats are supposed to be kept inside anyway.)
Dogs, I think atleast the females should be.
Males, really its up to you. If your a first time owner maybe you should, (for males)
because some tend to become agressive.
~Yeah I'm smiling,[/color]Inside dieing.~
Behind this fake mask of mine,
Paper thin lies, what I wished for most is a paper heart,
then you can't come and destroy and tear it apart like you
did to my last one.~

User avatar
Nightskydapple
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training
Posts: 236
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:38 am
Gender: Male
Location: Waiting for "Her" to turn back and realise I'm here enduring the pain.

Re: Spay and Neuter!

Post by Nightskydapple » Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:31 pm

Both my dogs are spayed and Maya who came from the shelter was already spayed.
And I do agree we don't need anymore homeless puppies and kittens.
~Yeah I'm smiling,[/color]Inside dieing.~
Behind this fake mask of mine,
Paper thin lies, what I wished for most is a paper heart,
then you can't come and destroy and tear it apart like you
did to my last one.~

User avatar
wq47 HawkTail
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf
Posts: 667
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:55 pm
Gender: Other
Location: Halloween Town.<3
Contact:

Re: Spay and Neuter!

Post by wq47 HawkTail » Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:21 pm

pawnee wrote:Amberchild, I edited your post for you in terms of language. Please watch your language because the next time I can't say it'll happen agian and I do like debates.

Anyways, the death rate for the reaction to the sleeping drug on an operation table is about 1 in a 1000. Never the less its upseting to see your pet dead over a minor surgey...sometimes the animal can be saved sometimes they can't. I'm not sure if their is ever a way to 'test' these drugs on the patient before hand. But its a risk you take when you sign the papers, though older animals seem more likely to have this happen to them.

The thing is with animal shelters is that no matter how many animals you adopt ot put down their will always be more. You never heard of a homeless animal crisis in the 50's or whatnot because animal 'shelters' consisted of putting down animals, not adopting them out.

In a perfect world I would say people could leave their animals intact if they took responsibility. But the fact is that many individuals do not. Some people I talk to say they keep male pets so they don't have to deal with the pregnancy of the females, but they refuse to neuter their own animal and then let them out. Thats just irresponsible in my opinion.
Also dogs and cats live un natural lives as it is; they live longer, eat non natural dried food and sleep all day. Even if fixing an animal is un natural, its not like they were ever wild to begin with. As you said, fixing animals relieves the pet of health problems associated with being intact and are usually more relaxed than intact animals. The problem with oral contraceptives and animals is that animals don't have daily routines and it requires the owners to adminster the drug effectivly over a period of time to ensure it works. That would mean a lot more extra time and resources needed for already under staffed animal shelters and control operations as is. Fixing animals is the cheapest (sadly it always comes down to money) solution to the pet overpopulation crisis. atleast thats my two cents anyways, I can't speak for every pet owner on here. :D
Pawnee, you don't understand how stressful it is for an "intact" animal to not be allowed to breed. They will try to get out all the time and will eventually adopt undesirable behaviors, such as marking and aggression. Sadly, we still have not spayed my ten month old kitten because of finances. She is miserable every time she comes into season. :( In conclusion, any animal not legally used for breeding should be spayed/neutered.
I have migrated to the account A Needlepoint Dreary for no reason c:. Follow me there and on dA;

http://www.macabre-x-macbeth.deviantart.com

User avatar
Nightskydapple
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training
Posts: 236
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:38 am
Gender: Male
Location: Waiting for "Her" to turn back and realise I'm here enduring the pain.

Re: Spay and Neuter!

Post by Nightskydapple » Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:42 pm

Agree with you WolfQuest47. But all my pets are spayed already/
~Yeah I'm smiling,[/color]Inside dieing.~
Behind this fake mask of mine,
Paper thin lies, what I wished for most is a paper heart,
then you can't come and destroy and tear it apart like you
did to my last one.~

User avatar
wq47 HawkTail
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf
Posts: 667
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:55 pm
Gender: Other
Location: Halloween Town.<3
Contact:

Re: Spay and Neuter!

Post by wq47 HawkTail » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:53 pm

Nightskydapple wrote:Agree with you WolfQuest47. But all my pets are spayed already/
Thank you! It's very satisfying to see more and more people understanding this dire situation thoroughly! Glad I can make a difference! :D :mrgreen:
I have migrated to the account A Needlepoint Dreary for no reason c:. Follow me there and on dA;

http://www.macabre-x-macbeth.deviantart.com

User avatar
wq47 HawkTail
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf
Posts: 667
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:55 pm
Gender: Other
Location: Halloween Town.<3
Contact:

Re: To fix or not to fix?

Post by wq47 HawkTail » Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:01 am

Inoushi wrote:
OceanWolf wrote:
leapingwolf wrote:Yes they should be fixed
Anyone who doesn't agree should goto the pound and see all the stray puppies and accedentel litters who usually get put down.
Thats just my oppinion
Sure fixing your pets would cause a lot less accidental breeding, but if you are careful and watch your animals, you would not need to fix them. In some cases I would say to fix your animals, like if you have an outside cat.
I agree perfectly. The excuse of accidental litters is poor. The reason is these accidents generally occur because people do not have the animals properly secured. Either their fence is not good in their yard, they take them off the leash in public, or they simply just loose control of them. Its fundamentally wrong to use the excuse when in essence that problem shouldn't even arise. I would say people who use that should be happy they only got a litter and that something worst didn't happen to their pet. And as a owner you should know when your dog goes into heat simply because its always going to occur during the same season. If your dog goes into heat around say fall you should watch her and make sure she is secured. Male dogs should always be secured. Its just the way it is. I rather not have accidental litters brought into this discussion simply because it uses negligence as a reason. If your dog bites someone due to the same reason you get punished.

The problem is, they will eventually escape if not fixed. My perfectly well behaved Chocolate Labrador chewed through my front door and mated with a female. He did this twice before we got him fixed. Now, he never does that, he is not aggressive (unless you are trying to break into our house), he is more obediant because hormones are not distracting him, and he is still the same lovable dog as before. He also used to mark, but not anymore. My friends cat scratched through a pet proof screen outside and had three litters of kittens before they had to give her away. They still have the kittens, they have only given away like three so far and its been a year since the first litter. The youngest litter is I think two months and ready to be taken away so thy're safe :)
I have migrated to the account A Needlepoint Dreary for no reason c:. Follow me there and on dA;

http://www.macabre-x-macbeth.deviantart.com

User avatar
Kivia
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 5618
Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:10 pm
Gender: Female
Location: Northern California
Contact:

Re: Spay and Neuter!

Post by Kivia » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:35 am

Went ahead and merged these two topics since they are both about talking about spaying and neutering your pets.^^

User avatar
pawnee
Former WQ Moderator
Posts: 2483
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:05 pm
Location: the far north
Contact:

Re: Spay and Neuter!

Post by pawnee » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:35 pm

oh I agree with you wolfquest 47. I think people should fix their pets unless they are proffessional breeders, and the pros do not just breed animals for money. Breeders who love their animals do it to encompas the traits they love, its not just a quick buck like a back yard breeder.

I think not fixing a male animal is worse than not fixing a female...its just pushing aside the problem and letting someone else take the baggage home even though your pet contributed to the problem in the first place.

I would get a cat fixed sooner than later...my cat was four months old when she became pregnant and I didn't think it was possible. But obviously I was proven wrong! I think if I had to get another cat I would fix them earlier than the typical six month of age procedure....its also stressful on their immune system too (when they go into season).
My Wolf Art http://pawnee.deviantart.com/
Its Not the Size of the dog in the fight, Its the size of the fight in the dog-Mark Twain

Post Reply

Return to “Take Action”