Animals in zoos

Discuss how to take action in helping wildlife and the environment.

Moderator: Isela

Post Reply
User avatar
lalapoodle
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:44 pm
Gender: Female

Animals in zoos

Post by lalapoodle » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:16 pm

i went to the zoo the other day... and all the animals (especially the wolves) looked so... miserable. I think that it's just that they are so bored. I mean, what if you were like, a lion, and a human shot you and then you wake up in a cage with dozens of other humans staring at you, cooing and shouting? I would like it at first, but then it would get boring, cause you wouldn't be able to hunt, run long distances, and, in some cases, mate or have cubs. I think we should not just focus on saving wolves, but try to save all the animals. I mean, that's what wildlife parks are for. i mean, i understand rehabilitating an animal, but you don't have to keep them until they die! And an animal that's more common will probably be seen in a national park, or even in your own backyard! I hope this isn't too common, because i'm a REALLY bad blogger,
Sedra :D
90% of girls would die if they saw the jonas borthers jumping off of a 20 story building. If you're part of the 10% who would get a chair and popcorn and say: "do a flip!" pass this on!

User avatar
wq47 HawkTail
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf
Posts: 667
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:55 pm
Gender: Other
Location: Halloween Town.<3
Contact:

Re: Animals in zoos

Post by wq47 HawkTail » Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:34 pm

Actually, most zoos are doing their best to make life in the zoo fun and interesting to the animals. They are still, NOTHING compared to the wilderness that the animals came from. Yes, they still do have space, but they can't just "run as they please" in the middle of Central Park! I say that people in zoos are a bit more open, these days, than they were in the past. What I mean, is that they are more willing to let the animals have fun in larger enclosures with many toys and a comfortable amount of occupants in to accompany them. They are mostly looking for the welfare of the animals in more recent times (at least in America, anyway).
I have migrated to the account A Needlepoint Dreary for no reason c:. Follow me there and on dA;

http://www.macabre-x-macbeth.deviantart.com

-Magpie-
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf
Posts: 735
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:41 pm
Gender: Female
Location: Nope.avi

Re: Animals in zoos

Post by -Magpie- » Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:56 am

I hate zoo's now as i found out something. I thought they ahd only got wolves around two years ago and they had been there for ages! They were very skinny, and didn't have that big a cage and also i found out that they are making places bigger and not bothering about the wolves! I am disgusted about that, and my local zoo(the one i was talking about) has LOADS of space but they don't care.
Eeeeyup. I'm Magpie, but I like to be called Feather. I just got my lazy rump back on here,
so if I had any troubles with y'll back in the day, I apologize!
So, I am a Whovian and I am a avid rager.

User avatar
pawnee
Former WQ Moderator
Posts: 2483
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:05 pm
Location: the far north
Contact:

Re: Animals in zoos

Post by pawnee » Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:21 am

If you don't like what you see at a zoo I suggest you talk to who is ever in charge. If people care about their captive animals, they should be able to explain what they do at the zoo to make the animals happy.

I would say most North American zoos take pride in how they treat their animals. Generally keepers try and find ways to avoid negative behaviour traits like boredom and pacing. Also, keep in mind that most people see animals in the middle of the day...when animals are least active.

You can check out Zoo Check Canada, Canadian Associate of Zoos and Aquariums and similiar to read about reccemendations for animals in captivity.

While I say this, their are also bad 'zoos' too. But I woulnd't call them zoos...some are just roadside attractions that house animals in inadquate conditions.

I suggest that if you see something that worries you, that you call or write to the place you visited and voice your complaint. Sometimes it just takes one person tobring something to attention.
My Wolf Art http://pawnee.deviantart.com/
Its Not the Size of the dog in the fight, Its the size of the fight in the dog-Mark Twain

User avatar
wq47 HawkTail
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf
Posts: 667
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:55 pm
Gender: Other
Location: Halloween Town.<3
Contact:

Re: Animals in zoos

Post by wq47 HawkTail » Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:31 am

Adding to Pawnee's post, zoos don't take animals from the wild and shut them in a cage. They use captive-bred animals for a zoo. The inly reason to take a wild animal out of their habitat is to tag them and see how the species is doing in the wild. They do as little stress as possible, and immediately release them back into the wild where they came from.
I have migrated to the account A Needlepoint Dreary for no reason c:. Follow me there and on dA;

http://www.macabre-x-macbeth.deviantart.com

User avatar
pawnee
Former WQ Moderator
Posts: 2483
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:05 pm
Location: the far north
Contact:

Re: Animals in zoos

Post by pawnee » Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:09 am

wolfquest47 wrote:Adding to Pawnee's post, zoos don't take animals from the wild and shut them in a cage. They use captive-bred animals for a zoo. The inly reason to take a wild animal out of their habitat is to tag them and see how the species is doing in the wild. They do as little stress as possible, and immediately release them back into the wild where they came from.
I would say that is quite the opposite. Zoos use captive born animals but they certainly don't release them. An animal is habituated to humans and human presence would not fair well in the wild. Animals that are planned to be re-released are generally not put on display because keepers want to keep them as wild as possible. Their is a lot of controversy into releasing animals that have been handeled by people, so animals are only handled when no other choice is given.
My Wolf Art http://pawnee.deviantart.com/
Its Not the Size of the dog in the fight, Its the size of the fight in the dog-Mark Twain

Analicia_213
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training
Posts: 102
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:25 pm
Gender: Female
Location: USA

Re: Animals in zoos

Post by Analicia_213 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:00 am

The zoo have animal in there,they want us to learn the animal or if you never saw one.I have go to zoo once,i saw some people don't like animal.Every animal,likes tigers,lions,wolves,snake,etc sometimes get bored.But i'm feel sorry for them,the zoo help the animal if their have somethings wrong,some are not.Maybe people should care about animals.
Avvie @ Alakaru_1

당신이 느는 방 르십오.
Follow the ways you feel.

Signature @ Dark Light Ultra

User avatar
wq47 HawkTail
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf
Posts: 667
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:55 pm
Gender: Other
Location: Halloween Town.<3
Contact:

Re: Animals in zoos

Post by wq47 HawkTail » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:06 pm

pawnee wrote:
wolfquest47 wrote:Adding to Pawnee's post, zoos don't take animals from the wild and shut them in a cage. They use captive-bred animals for a zoo. The inly reason to take a wild animal out of their habitat is to tag them and see how the species is doing in the wild. They do as little stress as possible, and immediately release them back into the wild where they came from.
I would say that is quite the opposite. Zoos use captive born animals but they certainly don't release them. An animal is habituated to humans and human presence would not fair well in the wild. Animals that are planned to be re-released are generally not put on display because keepers want to keep them as wild as possible. Their is a lot of controversy into releasing animals that have been handeled by people, so animals are only handled when no other choice is given.
Pawnee, i was speaking of the wild animals. if they were to tag them, they would immediately release them. You misunderstood what i was saying.
I have migrated to the account A Needlepoint Dreary for no reason c:. Follow me there and on dA;

http://www.macabre-x-macbeth.deviantart.com

User avatar
Tally
Pup
Pup
Posts: 88
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2007 1:41 am
Gender: Female
Location: Probs traveling

Re: Animals in zoos

Post by Tally » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:08 pm

More and more zoos are focusing on keeping the animals mentally stimulated and entertained. Several times when I've visited a zoo, the animals are playing with toys that have food hidden in them. Hopefully this concern for the animal's mental well being spreads to the zoos with less funding.

User avatar
pawnee
Former WQ Moderator
Posts: 2483
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:05 pm
Location: the far north
Contact:

Re: Animals in zoos

Post by pawnee » Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:35 pm

wolfquest47 wrote:
pawnee wrote:
wolfquest47 wrote:Adding to Pawnee's post, zoos don't take animals from the wild and shut them in a cage. They use captive-bred animals for a zoo. The inly reason to take a wild animal out of their habitat is to tag them and see how the species is doing in the wild. They do as little stress as possible, and immediately release them back into the wild where they came from.
I would say that is quite the opposite. Zoos use captive born animals but they certainly don't release them. An animal is habituated to humans and human presence would not fair well in the wild. Animals that are planned to be re-released are generally not put on display because keepers want to keep them as wild as possible. Their is a lot of controversy into releasing animals that have been handeled by people, so animals are only handled when no other choice is given.
Pawnee, i was speaking of the wild animals. if they were to tag them, they would immediately release them. You misunderstood what i was saying.
sorry I thought you meant taking wild anmimals, tagging them and then keeping them in zoos! my apologies!
My Wolf Art http://pawnee.deviantart.com/
Its Not the Size of the dog in the fight, Its the size of the fight in the dog-Mark Twain

User avatar
wq47 HawkTail
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf
Posts: 667
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:55 pm
Gender: Other
Location: Halloween Town.<3
Contact:

Re: Animals in zoos

Post by wq47 HawkTail » Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:33 pm

thats okay i can be confusing sometimes. Anyway, zoos are doing their best these days to keep the animals stimulated.
I have migrated to the account A Needlepoint Dreary for no reason c:. Follow me there and on dA;

http://www.macabre-x-macbeth.deviantart.com

User avatar
GraniteHowl
Yearling
Yearling
Posts: 289
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:28 pm
Gender: Male
Location: Somewhere, everywhere, and nowhere.
Contact:

Re: Animals in zoos

Post by GraniteHowl » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:54 pm

at a nearby zoo where i live, they have only two wolves (that i see) but i have come both earlyish morning and dinner time 6:00 or so. an the wolves are always either: laying down, pacing, or in their den.
What bothers me is:
there area is no bigger than my backyard :evil: ! and there is ONE tree and a few bushes, then a big rockpile with a hole in the side as a den! it just makes me frustrated! :evil: :x :!:
but the got some new baby bears, and they get a really cool place with plenty of room! its just plain unfair!

but i am going to see what i can do myself.

African Stars Pack
http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=45816

Purity
Guest
Guest

Re: Animals in zoos

Post by Purity » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:02 pm

(I hope this isn't bumping this topic or anything- it seemed interesting...)

You'd think they WANT animals to become extinct sometimes, they way they treat them!

I've been to a few different zoos on vacation, and I think they should even out the space a little more. For example, switch out the tiny, cramped wolf cage with the over-sized, you-can't-even-see-the-animal turtle cage or whatever. And actually do some research on the animal before planning out the exhibits, please!

However, even if the exhibit was carefully planned out and suitable for the animal, it might just depend on the weather. For example, a desert animal may be more active in a zoo near the Equator than in a zoo where it is usually cool temperatures and lots of rain each day. It depends on the controllable and uncontrollable (the exhibit and the weather) conditions of the environment sometimes- and sometimes it's just plain how you treat the animal.

I also think it has to do with how many people are watching the animals. Some animals may be sensitive if there are 20 people staring at it, and not be as active, instead of there only being 2 to 5, and it doing lots of different activities.

User avatar
Nightskydapple
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training
Posts: 236
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:38 am
Gender: Male
Location: Waiting for "Her" to turn back and realise I'm here enduring the pain.

Re: Animals in zoos

Post by Nightskydapple » Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:33 pm

Well zoos try to make things a bit "Fun" for the animals, they try to make their numbers increase and then free them. (I think at least)
They try their best to make the exhibits and cages like what they would be like in the wild.
~Yeah I'm smiling,[/color]Inside dieing.~
Behind this fake mask of mine,
Paper thin lies, what I wished for most is a paper heart,
then you can't come and destroy and tear it apart like you
did to my last one.~

Post Reply

Return to “Take Action”