Dyed Fish: pretty or not?

Discuss how to take action in helping wildlife and the environment.

Moderator: Isela

blackscar
Pup
Pup

Dyed Fish: pretty or not?

Post by blackscar » Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:17 am

there are some fish that are dyed in harmful ways read articles and never ever bye any of these fish
1 http://www.fishlore.com/aquariummagazin ... edfish.htm
2 http://www.thepetitionsite.com/2/stop-t ... -dyed-fish
3 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Painted_fish
Please take action by telling the fish store selling fish about the cruel and harmful ways. Many pet stores don't know a lot about it! Never buy any of these fish! Also tell others about it to!
O{ not O{
Last edited by blackscar on Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:52 am, edited 4 times in total.
REDWALL!!!!!!

BADGER LORDS of SALAMANDASTRON

O{ not O{ stop fish coloring today!!

Doctor Goebbels
Pup
Pup

Re: colorful fish: pretty or not?

Post by Doctor Goebbels » Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:53 pm

Wow, I was completely unaware that such things were done to fish. From the pictures on those websites, they just look off. A lot of fish are naturally pretty, I just don't see the need for this. It's a shame.
"Even vagrant thoughts originate someplace, and such fears aren't without basis. After all, the guilty know well who they are. They know what they've done. And so do we. Sleep with one eye open. The rain may fall sooner than you think."

paperpaws
Former WQ Moderator

Post by paperpaws » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:37 am

They look like swimming jelly beans, seriously, this is cruel and pointless. Thanks for posting this - I hope this can be stopped.

Tally
Pup
Pup

Post by Tally » Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:05 pm

I've seen these in pet stores before. Ugh. I had no idea the dye is applied in such a cruel manner. I fully intend to address this unacceptable practice next time I go the pet store. I encourage everyone else to do the same.

blackscar
Pup
Pup

Post by blackscar » Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:46 pm

Tally wrote:I've seen these in pet stores before. Ugh. I had no idea the dye is applied in such a cruel manner. I fully intend to address this unacceptable practice next time I go the pet store. I encourage everyone else to do the same.
yes please do !!!!!!!!! :cry: poor fish
REDWALL!!!!!!

BADGER LORDS of SALAMANDASTRON

O{ not O{ stop fish coloring today!!

Anneliese
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Anneliese » Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:50 pm

I am sort of an activist for fish, and this is one of the things that outrages me the most. It's cruel to inject these poor fish with toxic dye. I educate the pet shops about this horrible practice, and I hope they listen. I bring all the info I find to any pet shop that sells dyed fish, and if they don't listen, I don't give them my business anymore and I advise my friends to do the same.

What really gets to me is that some people seem to think fish don't deserve the same care as other beloved pets. :(

wq47 HawkTail
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by wq47 HawkTail » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:39 pm

That is so mean! Also this may sound cruel but ...
sSilvers wrote:They look like swimming jelly beans, seriously, this is cruel and pointless. Thanks for posting this - I hope this can be stopped.
LOL! It is true, but it sounds really funny the way you called them "swimming jelly beans" :mrgreen: :oops:
I have migrated to the account A Needlepoint Dreary for no reason c:. Follow me there and on dA;

http://www.macabre-x-macbeth.deviantart.com

Wolf Runner1
Yearling
Yearling
Location: Currently? Probably either: Pluto, or Saturn. Feel free to check both places.

Post by Wolf Runner1 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:05 pm

Wow, I had no idea this was happening! I hope it can be stopped! They don't even look good, they look weird. Fish aren't that color naturally, and the tattooed ones were kind of scary. :!:

Thanks for posting this!
Profile pic via the lovely NatureGirl

wq47 HawkTail
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Re: Colored Fish: pretty or not?

Post by wq47 HawkTail » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:19 am

Just noticed, some of the fish had smiley faces inked onto them! Now that is just ridiculous and cruel! Fish do not deserve to be pointed and laughed at! Only I do! :)
I have migrated to the account A Needlepoint Dreary for no reason c:. Follow me there and on dA;

http://www.macabre-x-macbeth.deviantart.com

Kivia

Post by Kivia » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:24 am

Changed the title to "Colored" to avoid confusion between tropical, colorful fish and dyed fish.^^

paperpaws
Former WQ Moderator

Post by paperpaws » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:32 am

wolfquest47 wrote:Just noticed, some of the fish had smiley faces inked onto them! Now that is just ridiculous and cruel! Fish do not deserve to be pointed and laughed at! Only I do! :)
...Who would possibly want to have a smiley face fish? That doesn't make any sense.

Nightskydapple
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training
Location: Waiting for "Her" to turn back and realise I'm here enduring the pain.

Post by Nightskydapple » Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:27 pm

The natrual color of fish are good enough, just mixing them like that Does make them look like swimming jelly-beans.
And they do look kind-of scary...
Thanks for posting this..
I've seen so many swimming jelly beans in the pet-shops
~Yeah I'm smiling,[/color]Inside dieing.~
Behind this fake mask of mine,
Paper thin lies, what I wished for most is a paper heart,
then you can't come and destroy and tear it apart like you
did to my last one.~

AutumnSolace
Yearling
Yearling

Colored Fish: pretty or not?

Post by AutumnSolace » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:18 pm

So that's why I see lots of non natural fish swimming in a tank at my local pet shop. I feel really sorry for the fishies that's been cruelly treated.

I still don't get it though, why do you need to dye a fish? That's really bizarre. The fishes are already pretty with their natural colors.
:/

Thanks for the information blackscar. I hope in the future this will stop, or even right now.

x-Riley-x
Dispersal Wolf
Dispersal Wolf

Re: Dyed Fish: pretty or not?

Post by x-Riley-x » Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:37 am

I really don't see the point in dyeing a fish. It's cruel and pointless. I don't know why people can't settle for the fish'es natural colors, as they are quite beautiful as is.

What's really sad is how people do [sometimes] do this to grab customers attention, making the fish look more intriguing. I would much rather buy a fish that has it's natural beauty, not one that has been artificially colored to attract customers.

I have seen some people have done a similar things with other animals.. such as cats.
I M A G I N E . D R A G O N S
﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋
--Now don't you understand.
'I'm never changing who I am.

﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏

Zethra

Re: Dyed Fish: pretty or not?

Post by Zethra » Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:42 pm

I don't like seeing any unatural colored animal, these chemicals are usually toxin to the poor creature and the dye can actually kill them. However, the sad truth is these people don't really know what exactly they are buying when they see the unatural fish. It's techincaly a trap to these buyers and sadly they do not realize this...

Then there are people who would enjoy getting an unatural colored fish just because it's 'pretty' and 'unique' without really realizing or caring much of what exactly caused the fishe's color.
............'..........Avatar by Zethra