Certain critters you should not kill

Discuss how to take action in helping wildlife and the environment.

Moderators: paperpaws, Isela

What do you think about Spiders?

They are just ADORABLE!
13%
I guess they're ok...
21%
Spiders...where?!
21%
NO I HATE spiders! All of them shall die!
22%
Spiders are pretty cool. Even if they bit me.
23%

Total votes: 149

Koroda
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Re: Certain critters you should not kill

Post by Koroda » Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:13 pm

I've never killed a spider on purpose, however, I have killed a Daddy Longlegs. This is because my Dad made me flush it down the toilet, but I kind of regretted it... I think spiders are awesome. It's great that they do so many useful things that we don't even acknowledge and sometimes we go, "Spider! Kill it!" I promise never to kill a spider ever... Even a Daddy Longlegs.
I am Koroda,
A coelacanth fish.
While you humans die,
I'll still be here....

Steeps

Post by Steeps » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:27 pm

I would kill spiders, but I'm too afarid of them. When I see one, I bribe others to to destroy it for me, and hope they don't throw its dead body on me :oops: .

I'm willing to bet that if every person on the planet killed one spider right now, the population of arachnids as a whole wouldn't even be dented. Theres so many of them in the world!

Selize
Pup
Pup

Post by Selize » Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:09 am

I have Katsaridaphobia, which is a fear of c ockroaches. I live in a city area where there tend to be more pests and I absolutely can't stand it. I don't mind spiders because they kill flies but if I had one wish I would wish that all the c ockroaches were in the Arctic Ocean :3.
yoυ we re a ѕм all вυмp υnвorn,
тнen тorn ғroм lιғe,
мayвe yoυ were needed υp тнere,
we're ѕтιll υnѕυre wнy

Avvie ©brebear.dA
Signature ©Ed Sheeran (Small Bump)

paperpaws
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by paperpaws » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:57 pm

I've had this small spider chilling out in my bedroom for a couple of months now. I tried getting rid of it before but it seems to keep re-appearing. :p

I always try to put them outside. I'm fine with spiders as long as they don't touch me. Once I was being all awesome putting this massive thing outside but then it started moving too close towards me and I just threw it away while loudly squealing and jumping. :c

...yeah.
wyrd bið ful aræd
* inactive until further notice due to time and hardware limitations

Miku Hatsune
Pup
Pup

Post by Miku Hatsune » Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:34 pm

I personally do not like spiders, but I tend to not kill them... Usually out of fear.
ι тσσк α киιfє αи∂ ¢υт συт нєя єує
ι тσσк ιт нσмє αи∂ ωαт¢нє∂ ιт
ωιтнєя αи∂ ∂ιє
ѕнє'ѕ ℓυ¢ку тнαт ι ∂ι∂и'т ѕℓιρ нєя α ѕмιℓє
иσw ѕнє ѕℓєєρѕ ωιтн єує σρєи
тнαтѕ тнє ρяι¢є ѕнє ραι∂...
icon by jewelz

ArrowWolf005
Yearling
Yearling

Post by ArrowWolf005 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:38 am

I just am not a big fan of spiders, especially in my house. That's about the only time I will kill one, though. I know spiders eat other things that I like less, but if it's in my house, I either kill it or (if I get the courage to) catch it and take it to the backyard. I try to not kill things outside (If they're in my home, I can kill them) because that's where they live. But if it's a tick, I kill it either way. I had a bad experience with those. In short, some arachnids creep me out, but if they leave me alone, I'll leave them alone.
Arrow
Hunting with the pack for 2 years
Rumors
http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=71954
Definition
http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=72174

Frodo1
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator
Name: Frodo/Jay

Post by Frodo1 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:29 pm

For some reason I can never kill poisonous spiders. They scare me too much.
Actually, poisonous spiders are the reason I'm arachnaphobic. When I was much younger, I used to be obsessed with snails, slugs, worms and pretty much anything else that is slimy and nasty (even toads, which I am now paid to remove from our yard because they scare my mom). We have a couple cinder blocks in our yard near our gate, and I used to flip them half-way over to look for "creepy-crawlies" underneath. One time when I flipped one of the bricks over, I saw something moving in one of the holes. When I looked closer I saw that it was a HUGE black widow spider (Its abdomen alone was bigger than a nickle!), and it was less than three inches away from my hand! It scared me so bad that I kicked the brick back into place and ran for the house. I was so scared that I couldn't even talk for about ten minutes (I was really little then). Fortunately my dad came home right about then, and I asked him to go kill it. When we flipped the brick all the way over to look for the spider. It actually had an egg sack in there, which was NASTY to get rid of, and even when we sprayed it with bug killer it didn't die right away and it started coming after us and my dad had to smash it with a shoe. NOT a fun situation.
That's pretty much why I'm scared of spiders.
Speaking of bugs and other "critters" you shouldn't kill, praying mantids are actually very good for your garden and also make good pets. They actually don't bite (I have had one eat the salt off my skin when I had gotten sweaty, though), even if you make them mad. Once I accidentally startled one of my pet mantids and it raised its wings, reared up with its claws drawn back, and HISSED at me. I was like, "WHOA! I DIDN'T KNOW THEY DID THAT!" I used to raise them from eggs, but the babies were so small that it was kind of hard to care for them. One time one of them got out of its cage, and a few weeks later when my mom was talking to me in my room, she stopped and looked down and said "There's a praying mantis on my arm, come get it OFF!" It was fun keeping them, even when they did get out.
I've actually heard that it's illegal to kill them here (CA), but I don't know if that's true or not...
Now flies are exactly the opposite- kill them on sight! Apparently a single fly can spread more germs in five minutes than roaches can crawling over that same spot for an entire hour! Yuck! Also, if two flies are in your house, it only takes them five hours to reproduce. Trust me- maggots in the kitchen is NOT cool! Especially when some escape and you wake up a few days later to find about 20+ flies in the house. Blech!
~Frodo
JayPlays on YouTube
Nature and wildlife gaming videos the whole family can enjoy!
Join the adventure here
Av/Sig © me

Siberian Husky
Yearling
Yearling

Post by Siberian Husky » Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:13 pm

I'm not arachnophobic but I generally dislike most spiders, with the exception of Cellar Spiders. When big spiders like Tegenaria atrica (One of the biggest spiders in Europe and the largest one in my country) wanders into my home, I will usually kill them unless I can get them outside. I actually see these guys very often, which is a downer because I'm really not a fan of them.

But cellar spiders... I would never dream of harming those. They kill and eat other spiders, including ones that are much bigger than themselves, and they are completly harmless to humans. They are also very docile and rarely moves away from their webs.
They just want to hang-out with you, and see what you're doing.
Siberian Husky - シベリアンハスキー

Praise the Sun!

WolvesOfTheSeas
Adult Wolf
Adult Wolf

Post by WolvesOfTheSeas » Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:35 pm

Spiders could be helpful, but biting! I dont trust spiders or snakes, so ill kill them I really dont like them cause you never know you get bitten and there poison inside your body!
Thanks Wolf Thief for the avvie! I love it! Ill be stalking you c:

STAY OUT MY MIRROR, STAY OUT OF MY WAY

monkfishlover
Pup
Pup

Post by monkfishlover » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:37 pm

Siberian Husky wrote:I'm not arachnophobic but I generally dislike most spiders, with the exception of Cellar Spiders. When big spiders like Tegenaria atrica (One of the biggest spiders in Europe and the largest one in my country) wanders into my home, I will usually kill them unless I can get them outside. I actually see these guys very often, which is a downer because I'm really not a fan of them.

But cellar spiders... I would never dream of harming those. They kill and eat other spiders, including ones that are much bigger than themselves, and they are completly harmless to humans. They are also very docile and rarely moves away from their webs.
They just want to hang-out with you, and see what you're doing.
I read in a book that they can have nasty bites so they aren't completely harmless D:

WolvesAndSpiders
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by WolvesAndSpiders » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:50 pm

I like spiders, hence my username ---> i usually save them before my brother has a chance to kill them. :3
☽pills don't help, but it sure is funny☾
undercover-mcr-peach.tumblr.com
Icon © LupinzPack

Edme1
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by Edme1 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:23 pm

I freak out whenever I see a spider in the house. And, I shall admit it...I take joy in killing them. Just grab a newspaper and whack it ten times, no more problem. :p But if it's too big or too fast, I freak out and get my dad or my brother to kill it.
Bustin' makes me feel good~

"Advance or a8scond!"

♋ ♈ ♉ ♊ ♌ ♍ ♎ ♏ ♐ ♑ ♒ ♓

http://blueranyk.deviantart.com/
Av from Homestuck

Return to “Take Action”