Lowering your pet's Carbon Footprint.

Discuss how to take action in helping wildlife and the environment.

Moderators: paperpaws, Isela

Ridgeback
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Lowering your pet's Carbon Footprint.

Post by Ridgeback » Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:57 pm

Believe it or not but dogs do have a carbon footprint that can be as harmful (if not more) as an SUV. Cat owners shouldn't feel much better. This is mostly due to how much is needed to create the chicken (and other meats) and grain for your pet's food. There are also other things that your pet does that can hurt the environment and atmosphere...

1) This gives new importance to spaying and neutering your pets. Keeping control on the pet population will lower the impact to global warming.

2) Because of this, next time you have to buy food for Fluffy and Fido, find a brand that is more eco-friendly. One food that has a NEGATIVE impact on our environment is Fancy Feast, which uses cut choice meats.
*To make up for any loss of healthy-protein incorporate scraps into your pet's diet. You can ask your butcher for fish heads or other meat scraps and also give your food scraps from dinner to your dog.

3) Never ever flush your dog's waste down the toilet. It pollutes water and can kill wildlife. Also, cat poop can have the disease Toxoplasma gondii in it. This can kill sea otters (and even schizophrenia in humans!)

4) If you walk your dog (or other pet) in a nature-rich environment, make sure to keep your pet supervised and on a leash. They can destroy the ecy-system or hunt the animals there.
*Make sure you also know where your dog (and yourself) can and can't walk. Where I live we actually have environments where just walking on the land is severely damaging it. You never know if where you live has an area that is the same way.

5) I'd highly recommend getting your pet vaccinated for rabies and distemper. Both are considerably dangerous and contagious. This can hurt your wildlife (and your other pets and family!). If you cannot afford it from the vet ($25 - 50+), look online for low-cost vaccination events that can cost as little as $10.

Pets are wonderful and make animal lovers out of people (which may just save some wild species!) and making changes is an easy way any for any pet owner to help the planet.

Anyone else have any other eco-friendly pet suggestions?

Bolt the wolf
Yearling
Yearling

Re: Lowering your pet's Carbon Footprint.

Post by Bolt the wolf » Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:18 pm

This is a very good topic because it helps people do the right things for thier pets or pet, but I don`t have any ideas if I come across one I will post it here
☾ ☼♥ ߤłŧ ♥☼ ☾
Åş ŧħε εұεлįлģ şŧàгş àгįşε,
Ĩ ģàzε àŧ ŧħε łįŧ ǚp şķįεş,
Đгεàмįпģ ŧħàŧ ħōpεfǚłłŷ şǒǒп,
Ĩ čàп ĵōįп ŧħεм ŧǒǒ
Sig By Techo
...▲...
.▲.▲.
The Legend Of
.....Zelda.....

jaguartail
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

Post by jaguartail » Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:52 pm

here's another one:
6)always keep your pet within eyesight of a human,and keep it inside whenver possible

SolitaryHowl
Skilled Hunter
Skilled Hunter

Post by SolitaryHowl » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:14 pm

I have another one:

7. Use biodegradable doggy 'poop' bags instead of pure plastic ones. Plastic doesn't start to break down in the environment for thousands of years.

* Giving food scraps to any pet is dangerous, as some are extremely toxic to your pet. Consult your vet to find out which foods are safe to feed your pet. Food scraps (human food) should only be 5-10% of a dog's diet. (Not sure about cats or other animals.)
Former WolfQuest Moderator. 2009 - 2011

Bolt the wolf
Yearling
Yearling

Post by Bolt the wolf » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:54 pm

And added to the post above NEVER give your pets Chocolate because its like poison
☾ ☼♥ ߤłŧ ♥☼ ☾
Åş ŧħε εұεлįлģ şŧàгş àгįşε,
Ĩ ģàzε àŧ ŧħε łįŧ ǚp şķįεş,
Đгεàмįпģ ŧħàŧ ħōpεfǚłłŷ şǒǒп,
Ĩ čàп ĵōįп ŧħεм ŧǒǒ
Sig By Techo
...▲...
.▲.▲.
The Legend Of
.....Zelda.....

Return to “Take Action”