Puppy Mill's ~ Puppy Farm's ~ Information & More...

Discuss how to take action in helping wildlife and the environment.

Moderator: Isela

-x-Zaroque-x-
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

Puppy Mill's ~ Puppy Farm's ~ Information & More...

Post by -x-Zaroque-x- » Thu May 06, 2010 10:49 am

Hello Fellow WolfQuest members,

Their are a lot of quires about Puppy Mill's ~ Puppy Farm's ~ So, I've decided to make a Topic on 'Take Action' about the Dangers & how bad the results are to Wild Life and other domesticated animals.

This is the a Topic for people who are troubled by this situation or just want to know more....

1.st What are Puppy Mill's?:

....A puppy mill, sometimes known as a ~ puppy farm ~, is a commercial dog breeding facility that is operated with an emphasis upon profits above animal welfare and is often in substandard conditions regarding the well-being of dogs in their care. Similar types of operations exist for other animals commonly kept as pets or used as feed for other animals. The term can be applied to operations involving other animals commercially bred for profit, e.g. "kitty mills." There are an estimated 4,000 puppy mills in the U.S. that produce more than half a million puppies a year. Commercial kennels may be licensed by the United States Department of Agriculture which may inspect the kennels routinely.

For-profit breeding on a smaller scale is sometimes referred to as backyard breeding.

[Wikipedia]

What are the People (Investigators) doing about Puppy Mills ~ Puppy Farms ~?

....The HSUS takes a stand against puppy mills on all possible levels, including supporting legislative changes, conducting investigations and litigation, and promoting public awareness and education. The HSUS also works with local authorities when called upon to help shut down the most abusive puppy mills.

....It's important to know that, in many cases, puppy mills are not illegal. In every state, a breeding kennel can legally keep dozens, even hundreds, of dogs in cages for their entire lives, as long as the dogs are given the basics of food, water, and shelter. When documented cruelty exists, The HSUS assists in shutting down puppy mills with the cooperation of local law enforcement. The HSUS has assisted in the rescue of almost 5,000 dogs from puppy mills over the past two years alone. But while The HSUS is opposed to puppy mills, The HSUS cannot shut down or raid legal businesses. The HSUS is not a government, law enforcement, or regulatory agency.

....*Because most puppy mills are not illegal, we need help from the public to put an end to the consumer demand for their "product." You can help The HSUS put a stop to puppy mills by getting your next dog from an animal shelter, rescue group, or a humane and reputable breeder that you have carefully screened in person.

*Donating your money to a local Rescue Center is another thing, helping World Wild animal Communities to get the Medical equipment the center needs to save animals in Puppy Mills ~ Puppy Farm's ~.

There is a Puppy Mill ~ Puppy Farm ~ in my area. How can I get the authorities to investigate and it shut down?

....First, please be aware that operating a commercial breeding kennel may not be illegal in your area. But if you have seen specific evidence of cruelty or neglect, the first agency to contact is a local agency with law enforcement powers, such as the local humane society, animal control agency or police or sheriff's department.

....Cruelty or neglect laws vary by state but typically address conditions such as animals without food and water, sick dogs who are not being medically treated, or dogs without adequate shelter from the elements. Prepare specific details of your complaint in advance, and after you have made a report get a case number or contact information related to your case. If you do not hear back from the local authorities within a week, please call them back to ask for an update, but be aware that if there is an ongoing investigation some information may not be available to the public. If you can't get local help for the situation or are not sure who to call, please contact The HSUS at stoppuppymills@humanesociety.org.

....You may also wish to contact the United States Department of Agriculture Animal Care Division and find out if the USDA licenses the facility owner. Only "wholesale" breeding facilities (those that sell puppies to other businesses who in turn sell the puppies to the public) are required to be USDA licensed—this is a small portion of all the large-scale breeders in the country. Currently licensed breeders and some of their most recent inspection reports are available on the USDA/APHIS website.

The Wilde Puppy Mill Task Force tipline, 1-877-MILL-TIP, is available to anyone with information on a possible crime involving puppy mills—especially information from those with "insider" knowledge, or from law enforcement officials who might be aware of such operations.

If you have purchased a puppy and wish to report problems to The HSUS, please complete the Pet Seller Complaint form. This form allows us to track data accurately and ensure that we have as much information as possible to help us in our fight to stop puppy mills.

I think my local pet store might be selling dogs from puppy mills. How can I find out?

Almost all pet store puppies come from puppy mills. Ask the pet store employee to show you the paperwork identifying the puppy's breeder and origins. If he or she refuses to do so or is reluctant to show you the paperwork, consider that a red flag. If you do inspect the paperwork, you may notice that the puppy has been shipped from out of state, often by a "broker" service. These are just a few indications that the store's dog may have come from a puppy mill. The bottom line is that responsible breeders do not sell their puppies to pet stores; they want to meet their puppy buyers in person and do not sell their puppies to the first person who shows up with cash in hand!

Giving money by buying a Puppy from a Puppy Mill ~ Puppy Farm ~ is VERY dangerous! Mostly because of behavioral problems and by giving money to their community to buy more breeding Females' or more Land to put them on. This is a solution to make or increase the amount of Dog's in Puppy Mill's ~ Puppy Farms ~!

More information: http://www.humanesociety.org/issues/pup ... puppy.html

Where can I find a list of known puppy mills?

For many reasons, the HSUS does not publish a list of known Puppy Mills ~ Puppy Farms ~. There are literally thousands of Puppy Mills ~ Puppy Farms ~ in existence all over the country, and most of them are not required to register with any one agency. There are so many unregulated Puppy Mills ~Puppy Farms ~ that to publish a list of the known or "problem" Mills may give the public a false impression that any establishment that is not on the list is "safe." Nothing could be farther from the truth. In fact, some problematic Puppy Mills ~ Puppy Farms ~ have been known to change their *names and locations frequently to evade their reputations.

*This is proof that the owners/workers of any Puppy Mill's ~ Puppy Farm's ~ know their doing wrong & should stop it. This leads on to the next question:

Why can't we just outlaw puppy mills?

The HSUS is the nation's leading advocate for legislation to regulate puppy mills. Since the early 1980s, they have fought for strengthened provisions and broader enforcement of the federal Animal Welfare Act. We continue to work to broaden the scope of the Animal Welfare Act so that all puppy mills must meet federally mandated standards and submit to inspection, regardless of where or to whom they sell their puppies.

In the last two years we've had some great successes. We've seen passage of federal legislation that outlaws the import of puppies from foreign puppy mills, and legislation in four states (Virginia, Louisiana, Oregon, and Washington) that limits the number of dogs who can be kept in commercial breeding facilities. In 2009 alone, laws to protect dogs in commercial breeding facilities were passed in 10 states. In 2010, The HSUS is part of a coalition of groups and individuals, Missourians for the Protection of Dogs, who are working to pass a ballot measure in Missouri that will limit the number of adult breeding dogs who can be kept in a puppy mill and improve the standards of care. In 2008 and 2009, The HSUS assisted in the evacuation of nearly 5,300 dogs (and many other animals) from 24 puppy mills across the U.S. and in Canada.

We will continue to push for new laws to limit the number of dogs who can be kept in puppy mills, to outlaw the cruelest confinement practices prevalent in puppy mills, to require inspection and licensing of "direct seller" puppy mills which are exempt from federal regulations, and to protect puppy mill dogs from neglect and exploitation.

While legislation is the key to ensuring lasting change for animals, simply passing a law to ban puppy mills—an idea that's often proposed—is impractical. Anyone who has worked on legislation—even on something as basic as stopping abuse—can tell you that bringing a bill from an idea into a law is a long and difficult process. Even bills that pass into law often do not contain all the protections we would desire.

Sadly, some purebred dog registries and kennel clubs (which often receive registration fees from puppy mills) have lobbied heavily against these changes—and they have even recruited other animal-use industry groups to help them. Scare tactics are used by those who profit the most from a lack of regulation in the pet industry to frighten small breeders into mistakenly thinking that the proposed laws will apply to them. This strategy has led some smaller breeders and local kennel clubs to oppose bills that would only impact the worst and biggest puppy mills.

This makes public support all the more vital. Join our online community to receive action alerts about our legislative efforts in your state »

We ask reputable breeders to join us in this effort to change conditions for dogs who are warehoused in a life of misery in a puppy mill. If you are a breeder who wants to help stop the abuses of large scale puppy mills.

For more information or to donate to their Rescue Centers, visit this Site for more details:

http://www.humanesociety.org/issues/pup ... _FAQs.html

Thank you for reading and I hope you all understand more about Puppy Mills
~ Puppy Farms ~
..../\/\/\/...........------- Who am I? -------
.........../..........I'm Captain Jack Sparrow!

............\/\/\/.....Avatar © Gingerwolff <3

Ffeion
Name: Ffeion, Red

Re: Puppy Mill's ~ Puppy Farm's ~ Information & More...

Post by Ffeion » Thu May 06, 2010 11:53 am

I watched a show about puppy mill's, it made me cry it was that sad, I am soo glad that they are banned from Ireland.
When there is nothing left to burn, you have to set yourself on fire.
Icon (C) Riceboy

-x-Zaroque-x-
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

Post by -x-Zaroque-x- » Thu May 06, 2010 11:56 am

Yes, I saw that on a Ceaser Millan Program, [The Dog Whisperer] It's quite up setting, so I hope this will make people understand more about the Dangers of Puppy Mill's and such!

Ffeion

Post by Ffeion » Thu May 06, 2010 12:01 pm

I saw Opra's show about it, sorry if I spelt her name wrong.

I watch Cesar Millan from time to time. I happen to have seen that one aswell.
Icon (C) Riceboy

-x-Zaroque-x-
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

Post by -x-Zaroque-x- » Thu May 06, 2010 12:03 pm

I don't think you've spelt it wrong.

Do you understand about Puppy Mills ~ Puppy Farms ~ ?

Ffeion

Post by Ffeion » Thu May 06, 2010 12:13 pm

Yeah, sortof, I know they keep dogs in small cramped cages and breed them till they can't breed no more, and they kill them when they can't breed anymore, and they also fix them so they can't make any noise. Just pure cruelty.
Icon (C) Riceboy

-x-Zaroque-x-
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

Post by -x-Zaroque-x- » Thu May 06, 2010 12:16 pm

I think I shall add that information to the right part, what don't you understand about them?

phantom of oz
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training
Location: sitting with my dad helping with his publishing work :)

Post by phantom of oz » Thu May 06, 2010 12:16 pm

Thanks for posting this lyenza i understood the dangers of the puppy mills but its nice to gain some more knowledge on the subject :D
°*°~°*° Phantom of oz °*°~°*°
▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲
Proud WQ community Member
Proud Dignitary of Alder Grove Pack
Proud author of flashbacks
avviie by lunalynn
▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲
© phantom of oz

-x-Zaroque-x-
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

Post by -x-Zaroque-x- » Thu May 06, 2010 12:19 pm

Your very welcome Phantom!^^
That's what I hoped for! More people to understand about this problem!

Ffeion

Post by Ffeion » Thu May 06, 2010 12:22 pm

xD No, I think I know everything you could know about them.

D: It makes me sad, ppl like that.
Icon (C) Riceboy

-x-Zaroque-x-
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

Post by -x-Zaroque-x- » Thu May 06, 2010 12:24 pm

Yes, it's very saddening..

I wish it never happened in the first place, at least its illegal some where.

grape500
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by grape500 » Thu May 06, 2010 12:26 pm

it should be illegal everywhere
Avvie by me

-x-Zaroque-x-
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

Post by -x-Zaroque-x- » Thu May 06, 2010 12:33 pm

I believe it should Grape.
But those people are stubborn these days, very unlikely though.

Ffeion

Post by Ffeion » Thu May 06, 2010 12:36 pm

As do I.

There is some breeders who actually take care of there dogs, them people make me happy.
Icon (C) Riceboy

-x-Zaroque-x-
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

Post by -x-Zaroque-x- » Thu May 06, 2010 1:14 pm

Yes, those people make me happy too, thinking of what all Dog owners could really be like insted of breeding them for money, not for fun. And making money to get more breeding dogs and not getting money to help your dogs.