Endangered Animals

Discuss how to take action in helping wildlife and the environment.

Moderator: Isela

What animal do you support most?

Polar Bear
6%
Panda
2%
Red Panda
4%
Wolves
31%
Snow Leopard
19%
Sea Turtles
6%
Other
33%

Total votes: 52

Alpha2804
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Endangered Animals

Post by Alpha2804 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:42 pm

Hi readers! I'm making this topic so that people can say, almost anything about endangered animals. Favorites, how to help, etc.
I for one want to save endangered animals. Here's a website with some ways to help:
http://www.endangeredspecie.com/Ways_To_Help.htm
Heres some basic information, I got it from ehow.com:

The biggest threat to the endangerment of animals is indirect destruction, mostly caused by humans. Indirect destruction includes wildlife habitats being taken over by humans due to a rise in population, pollution and hunting and capturing of animals. In the United States, the Endangered Species Act has helped to prevent the extinction of animals, but there are thousands of endangered animals in the world such as the Siberian Tiger, the Lion-Tailed Macaque, the Komodo Dragon and the Blue Whale---at least one species dies out every year. Protecting wildlife is important to maintain biodiversity on earth.
Habitat Conservation
1. Endangered animals can be helped by protecting their habitats in national parks, nature reserves or in the wilderness. Endangered animals can better survive with minimal human interference.

Visiting national parks and zoos also helps endangered animals. Here, you can learn where and how they live and what they need to survive so it will be easier for you to help them.

Many zoos in North America are part of the Association of Zoos and Aquarium's (AZA's) Species Survival Plan (SSP) Program, which manages the breeding of some endangered species to help maintain animals to be healthy and self-sufficient.
Make Space for Wildlife
2. There are a number of ways that you can save endangered animals as their natural homes become rarer. Provide a bird feeder or a birdbath in your garden to attract birds around your area. Birds indicate that wildlife in your area is successful. Plant flowers and other plants for butterflies and insects such as bees, spiders and moths as a source of food supply and a place for shelter. Additionally, plant trees around your neighborhood to provide nesting sites, shelter and a place to feed.
Don't Pollute
3. Stop the use of harmful chemicals---these are dangerous to animals and humans. If possible, walk, ride a bike or use public transportation instead of taking a car. Turn off electrical appliances and your lights when they're not being used to save energy and don't let tap water run. Buy products with less packaging materials and bring eco-bags to the grocery when shopping to reduce waste. Buy organic products whenever possible and recycle what you can. If you go to the beach, make sure not to throw anything into the ocean, especially plastic products. Plastic is one of the major causes of death in sea animals who accidentally ingest the plastic.
Organizations
4. You can join many organizations that aid in the conservation of animals. These include Greenpeace, World Wildlife Fund and the Whale and Dolphin Conservation Society. By joining these organizations, you can help others to recognize the importance of saving endangered animals.

Additionally, you can also write a letter to U.S. Senators and Representative to let them know how you and others feel about protecting endangered species. Educating yourself and others is the best way to get the message across regarding this issue

This was the link, but the page isn't working:
http://www.ehow.com/way_5365983_ways-sa ... imals.html

And here is a fun site. You play games and save REAL people and animals! You can buy a pet (once registered) from the adoption center. (note: it costs a low amount of real money to get xen, which is the stuff you use to buy an animal) after getting an animal, care for it for 90 days and a REAL endangered animal is released into the wild or a sanctuary! It is: www.xeko.com

Help animals like:
The Panda: http://popbytes.com/img/baby-pandas-are-so-cute.jpg
The red Panda: http://www.pluspets.net/wp-content/uplo ... Panda5.jpg
White tigers: http://images.easyart.com/i/prints/rw/l ... -72893.jpg
Sea turtles: http://www.cavoom.com/joomla1/images/st ... urtles.jpg
And of course, wolves: http://www.longleat.co.uk/news/images/8 ... uly08).jpg
And many more!
Last edited by Alpha2804 on Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
...«Everytime we touch
.....I get this feeling
..and everytime we kiss
....I swear I can fly
.can't you feel my heart beat fast
...I want this to last
...need you by my side~

Kivia

Re: Endangered Animals

Post by Kivia » Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:03 pm

You know what, since this is more so to help with endangered animals, I'll move this to Take Action.^^

-Izzy-
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by -Izzy- » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:56 am

Wow . . . I support the Red Panda ... my favorite is probably the white tiger\ tiger cub .... i appreciate you putting so much info! :D
Help her cross the porch swept side-walk...
Watch the crickets chirp the morning, into their beautiful talk...
Pick up the snake who poorly slithered the road....
Oh please, with me, swing on the porch swing...
Please, hold hands with me...

Alpha2804
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by Alpha2804 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:35 pm

Magicianwolf08 wrote:Wow . . . I support the Red Panda ... my favorite is probably the white tiger\ tiger cub .... i appreciate you putting so much info! :D
No problem! I think it's a pressing matter. Especially poaching, like the hunting of Tigers and such. Even though there are rules against it, people still hunt Tigers. It's sad really, I wish those people could see what they're doing is wrong, and they might, but they need money or something.
I want to start a buisness when I'm older to save these animals. Not just the Tigers, every endangered animal I can.
Oil spills are another matter, they threaten the oceans. Animals there too are hurt, and it is sad to watch populations die out.

Edit: I looked up how many Tiger's were left, if any one was wondering. I went to many different places, and they all say the same thing. There are less than 3,200 Tiger's left in the wild, and they said in the next generation they could die out. It may seem like a lot, but think about how big the world is, and how fast animals can get hurt or killed. From a few sources, it said that in 1900 there were 100,000, and in 2007, there were less than 5,000. That is one twentyeth of the total. (note this is for the wild, not captivity.)There is still hope if we act fast. (we being rescue organizations and other rescue things)
...«Everytime we touch
.....I get this feeling
..and everytime we kiss
....I swear I can fly
...I want this to last
...need you by my side~

Alpha Female
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Alpha Female » Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:28 pm

Do you mean the tiger as a species or the white tiger? The white tiger is not a different speices of tiger, but it is a very rare type due to its color. The white tiger is an inbred animal found at zoos. The animal is usually cross-eyed and has a smaller skull. It has a gentic mutation which makes it like that.
Here is a bit more info on the white tiger: http://www.flickr.com/photos/littlelion ... 197692859/
(Yes, its Flickr but if you scroll down you can read about the white tiger).

I think this is another problem that we could take action with. I am starting to read up a bit more about tigers and what causes this white recessive gene, and how to help stop poaching of wild tigers.
Of course, I am also reading a bit about wolves and how to help take action for them. Thanks for sharing.
SOMETIMES
A KING
HAS TO REMIND
FOOLS WHY HE'S
K I N G

~WolfQuest member since 1969~

Alpha2804
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by Alpha2804 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:50 pm

Alpha Female wrote:Do you mean the tiger as a species or the white tiger? The white tiger is not a different speices of tiger, but it is a very rare type due to its color. The white tiger is an inbred animal found at zoos. The animal is usually cross-eyed and has a smaller skull. It has a gentic mutation which makes it like that.
Here is a bit more info on the white tiger: http://www.flickr.com/photos/littlelion ... 197692859/
(Yes, its Flickr but if you scroll down you can read about the white tiger).

I think this is another problem that we could take action with. I am starting to read up a bit more about tigers and what causes this white recessive gene, and how to help stop poaching of wild tigers.
Of course, I am also reading a bit about wolves and how to help take action for them. Thanks for sharing.
It's for every tiger put together i think... not just white ones. yes, they are rare colored tigers. (when I was younger, i thought they were albino tigers! lol) Thanks for the link! And yes, I do hope to put a stop to poaching. Hunting is nessasary to control populations, but the tiger population is so low, it doesnt need poachers. Its really sad how people do this, and I do hope the poaching problem is solved soon.
They also hunt rhinos and elephants for horns and such.
Thanks for the info on white tigers!

This site has the list of every endangered animal on the planet. There are a TON of animals on this list, heres the link:
http://www.earthsendangered.com/list_html.asp
...«Everytime we touch
.....I get this feeling
..and everytime we kiss
....I swear I can fly
...I want this to last
...need you by my side~

Animal Lover 4 Ever
Yearling
Yearling

Post by Animal Lover 4 Ever » Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:18 pm

Wow Dove, that's alot of information! Thanks so much for posting it all! i always love to learn anything i can about animals, and this is a very insteresting matter. My favorite endangered species is the polar bear and of course, the wolves, but you no, i dont think they are on the endangered species list anymore. Anyway, did you guys hear of the huge oil spill?? I think it was by Mississippi. Because of peoples carelessness, so many animals died of oil indegustion and getting it absorbed through their skin. It makes me want to cry when i hear about all the animals that died because of this. I wanted to start a campain about this at school, but i just got out for summer vacation, so i can't do it now. Sigh. I wish their was some way i can help those poor animals. What did humans ever do to them? They probably have no idea whats going on, except that they feel really sick. :cry: When I'm older, i want to do some volunteer work with the people that help animals in oil spills. Maybe one day i can make a difference in an animals life.
Sincerly,
Rose
~~~~~~~~~
----------╔═╗╔═╗
----------║║╠═╣═╬═╗
----------║═╣║╠═║╩╣
----------╚╩╩═╩═╩═╝
~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~
Signature © Me
~~~~~~~~~

Alpha2804
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by Alpha2804 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:29 pm

Animal Lover 4 Ever wrote:Wow Dove, that's alot of information! Thanks so much for posting it all! i always love to learn anything i can about animals, and this is a very insteresting matter. My favorite endangered species is the polar bear and of course, the wolves, but you no, i dont think they are on the endangered species list anymore. Anyway, did you guys hear of the huge oil spill?? I think it was by Mississippi. Because of peoples carelessness, so many animals died of oil indegustion and getting it absorbed through their skin. It makes me want to cry when i hear about all the animals that died because of this. I wanted to start a campain about this at school, but i just got out for summer vacation, so i can't do it now. Sigh. I wish their was some way i can help those poor animals. What did humans ever do to them? They probably have no idea whats going on, except that they feel really sick. :cry: When I'm older, i want to do some volunteer work with the people that help animals in oil spills. Maybe one day i can make a difference in an animals life.
Sincerly,
Rose

Great idea! I wish to help save the animals to. And yes, it is sad when sea animals are hurt and killed by oil spills. Oil spills harm so much sea life! We need to be a bit more carefull about getting oil, and about littering. A trash can could be only four feet away, and someone may just throw a bottle on the ground or something. Even trash in the city can get to the ocean.
Lets say that a guy named Carl threw a bottle on the ground. Carl's bottle wont stay there! IF it gets kicked onto the street, rain washes it into the sewer, and most sewers eventually end up at the ocean. All trash gets stuffed into the ocean.
We must be more carefull of our actions! If I miss a trashcan, I go pick it up.

Oil spills, litter, poaching, so many things harm the animals. We came and took up like, half the planet! or more! The animals were here first, and now we are taking away what they had. We take away they're homes. And I'm not saying that humans are evil or anything, I'm saying we should get more reservations for animals. We cut down a forest, many animals loose their homes. If you get what I'm saying, then yeah.
...«Everytime we touch
.....I get this feeling
..and everytime we kiss
....I swear I can fly
...I want this to last
...need you by my side~

Zarago
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by Zarago » Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:48 am

You know all these adverts about 'Save the Pandas' or 'Save the Polar Bears'. Well, Wolves are in need of saving too! I mean, come on, people are just so ignorant and if they see a Wolf on Television they would run out of the room screaming their heads off! Its just so awful!

Zarago.

Alpha Female
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Alpha Female » Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:02 am

I have watched a very sad video about all the extinct species that died off because of humans. And nowadays, even the most popular animals, like African lions, are loosing their homes, and becoming at risk of being endangered and inbreeding. Also, WWF (World Wildlife Foundation) is a good way to start if you would like to donate to help keep the endangered species of your choice on the planet. :wink:
SOMETIMES
A KING
HAS TO REMIND
FOOLS WHY HE'S
K I N G

~WolfQuest member since 1969~

AutumnSolace
Yearling
Yearling

Post by AutumnSolace » Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:05 am

Zarago wrote:You know all these adverts about 'Save the Pandas' or 'Save the Polar Bears'. Well, Wolves are in need of saving too! I mean, come on, people are just so ignorant and if they see a Wolf on Television they would run out of the room screaming their heads off! Its just so awful!

Zarago.
I understand what your saying since wolves are also my favorite animal as well. But think about it, hunting wolves are necessary apart from Red Wolf, Ethiopian Wolf and other endangered wolf species. Because we have to control their population otherwise the ecosystem is out of balance, not that I'm saying that I love hunters hunting wolves.

Alpha2804
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by Alpha2804 » Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:08 am

I agree with Maiana. The hunting of some creatures is nessesary for some species of animals, but for others it shoudn't be.

Edit: I just looked up the Javan Rhinoceros, there are less than 60 of them now. We save them now, or loose them for ever. Here's the website I used for the information on the top ten most endangered animals in 2010:
http://www.worldinterestingfacts.com/an ... world.html
...«Everytime we touch
.....I get this feeling
..and everytime we kiss
....I swear I can fly
...I want this to last
...need you by my side~

Animal Lover 4 Ever
Yearling
Yearling

Post by Animal Lover 4 Ever » Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:04 am

No offense to anyone who hunts, but I think that it's sick and wrong. I mean, we have meat in the store that's perfectly good, why in the world would u want to catch your own? For all we know, the animal you shot could have a family to look after, and somewhere out their it's baby could b waiting, cold and hungry, for it's mother 2 return. And if that's not bad enough, most people use traps to hunt animals. Do u have any idea how much those things hurt?!?! Who in the world would make an animal suffer like that. I mean, some people hunt humanily, but even if they do, they still take that animals life
-Rose
~~~~~~~~~
----------╔═╗╔═╗
----------║║╠═╣═╬═╗
----------║═╣║╠═║╩╣
----------╚╩╩═╩═╩═╝
~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~
Signature © Me
~~~~~~~~~

Alpha2804
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by Alpha2804 » Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:13 am

Animal Lover 4 Ever wrote:No offense to anyone who hunts, but I think that it's sick and wrong. I mean, we have meat in the store that's perfectly good, why in the world would u want to catch your own? For all we know, the animal you shot could have a family to look after, and somewhere out their it's baby could b waiting, cold and hungry, for it's mother 2 return. And if that's not bad enough, most people use traps to hunt animals. Do u have any idea how much those things hurt?!?! Who in the world would make an animal suffer like that. I mean, some people hunt humanily, but even if they do, they still take that animals life
-Rose
Well, it is for population control, so again some hunting is ok. I know that it may have some bad affects on the family if it has one, but do you want thousands of deer eating your plants in the morning?! (Where'd the plants go!?) Deer would eat too much grass, then they would be hurting themselves once the food they ate is all gone, they die, things that hunt them die, populations go out of whack, and with all the carcasses the water could get strange, it's a chain reaction.
And about traps, the animal would feel pain one moment, then not any more because, well, its gone.
I know it may be upsetting to let people hunt animals, but some animals hunt! And all meat usually comes from animals, so even meat in stores may be an animal. Still hunted.
...«Everytime we touch
.....I get this feeling
..and everytime we kiss
....I swear I can fly
...I want this to last
...need you by my side~

Zarago
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by Zarago » Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:36 am

Umm, hello? Do you realise that hunting Wolves is bad fullstop? No hunting of Wolves should be allowed, I don't care how big their population is. Animals don't live forever, so the Wolves will eventually die. And killing was never meant to be, ever, its fine to let nature take its cource, never kill Wolves. They are not a pest, so, no hunting should be allowed, ever!

Zarago.