Preserving Rainforests

Discuss how to take action in helping wildlife and the environment.

Moderators: paperpaws, Isela

Mystic3170
Yearling
Yearling

Preserving Rainforests

Post by Mystic3170 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:25 pm

I apologize if there is already a topic about this; I didn't see it.
"What you do makes a difference, and you have to decide what kind of difference you want to make." - Jane Goodall
We want to make a positive impact on the Earth!
This post is about The Rainforest Site. It is a website dedicated to preserving rainforests.

"Rainforests are some of the world's most ancient and complex ecosystems. They cover a mere 2% of the Earth, yet more than half of all plant and animal species live there. The rainforest is home to creatures as famous as the jaguar and poison dart frog, as well as lesser-known and even unidentified species.

These ecosystems are an amazing resource that is quickly slipping away. The rainforest is where many modern food staples originated, including tomatoes, corn, and chocolate, but we use a mere fraction of the edible plants available there. In addition, one quarter of modern medicines come from plant species that were first used as traditional remedies. Western science has analyzed less than one percent of rainforest plants for medicinal compounds, and the indigenous tribes that use these plants are rapidly disappearing.

To complicate matters more, the rate of species extinction in the rainforest is undeniably high. As the forests are burned for short-term farming, grazed, and harvested for wood and other compounds at an unsustainable rate, we are swiftly losing the very species that may someday provide needed cures or disease-resistant crops. With them, we lose an extraordinary number of unique creatures found nowhere else in the world.

Help us save the rainforests by clicking every day. The benefits to humankind and to the world are incalculable, and it costs you nothing more than a moment of your time. A click a day can save the world!*

*Facts and figures from: The Rainforest Alliance, World Health Organization, and the Rainforest Foundation."

^ The above information was taken directly from The Rainforest Site. I did not write it. ^

What have you done to help preserve rainforests? It can be as simple as clicking on the button at www.therainforestsite.com! I have clicked on that button every day for about four weeks now. Also, in Kindergarten, my class raised money to donate to a fund working to keep rainforests going. So, tell your story here!
Last edited by Mystic3170 on Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Is this the end of the moment
Or just a beautiful unfolding
Of a love that will never be?

AlbinoWolf6
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Re: Preserving Rainforests

Post by AlbinoWolf6 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:28 pm

hola Mystic!

This is an interesting site, I nee to visit it! =) My story is when I was in first or second grade we had this bookfair and the money you spent there went to help save the rainforest. (i am a jane goodall fan 2 :wink: )
¸.*¨*`.¸ ωσℓƒQυєѕт cσммυnιту мємвєя ¸.*¨*`.¸
..¸.*¨*`.¸ υn∂ιnє ƒαℓℓѕ ραcк мємвєя ¸.*¨*`.¸
...¸.*¨*`.¸ Avvie by TheGreatAbyss!! Thanks! ¸.*¨*`.¸

-Izzy-
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by -Izzy- » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:29 pm

Looks interesting! =D
I'll go check out that website sometime ^^
Help her cross the porch swept side-walk...
Watch the crickets chirp the morning, into their beautiful talk...
Pick up the snake who poorly slithered the road....
Oh please, with me, swing on the porch swing...
Please, hold hands with me...

Mystic3170
Yearling
Yearling

Post by Mystic3170 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:47 pm

That's cool! ;) In my Science class a few days ago, we watched a video about Jane Goodall's life on the island of Gombe, talking about how important wildlife is and how much we can learn from animals such as chimpanzees.
Is this the end of the moment
Or just a beautiful unfolding
Of a love that will never be?

Return to “Take Action”