Ireland's Equine Crisis

Discuss how to take action in helping wildlife and the environment.

Moderators: paperpaws, Isela

-Magpie-
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Ireland's Equine Crisis

Post by -Magpie- » Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:54 am

Equine Cases brought to the Dublin SPCA shelter
since January 2010:

The Dublin SPCA and other animal welfare groups around Ireland are dealing with a major increase in horse, pony and donkey cruelty and neglect cases. Ireland is in the midst of an equine crisis. A number of factors cause more and more horses to suffer.

Reckless breeding during the Celtic Tiger years has caused Ireland to be inundated with unwanted equine. Added to this is the increasing cost of fodder and the diminishing value of equine. Markets like the one in Smithfield means anyone can easily buy equine for as cheap at €8, irrespective of a person's lack of resources and knowledge of equine care. Smithfield Market is unlicensed, unregulated, and completely unsuitable for horses and the Dublin SPCA has worked to shut down these types of markets for years.

Legislation is clear: every equine needs to have a passport and microchip which forces accountability and traceability, but without sufficient resources put in place to enforce the legislation, more and more horses are being neglected and abandoned.

As we approach the coming winter, we know that even more horses will suffer unless immediate action is taken. Follow this link to an Open letter sent to Minister for Agriculture Brendan Smith on 5th August 2010.

We have seen three different categories in this Equine Crisis:

Intentional Neglect & Abandonment

We are seeing hundreds of equine left in fields, parks and waste ground around Dublin and the equine are kept in horrific conditions by owners who don't care about the needs of the animals. In many cases horses have been abandoned by owners who can no longer afford to look after them. These animals are starving, have no fresh water, are injured or sick, are lame due to leg and hoof injuries and left in fields and waste ground in unsafe conditions.

Everyday the Dublin SPCA is dealing with heart wrenching rescue operations for abused and neglected horses and ponies. In the last 12 months we have encountered equine dying in horrific pain and numerous dead horses decomposing all round Dublin. Some dying and dead horses have been simply dumped by their owners, dragged from trailers or horse boxes and left so that the owner won't have to deal with veterinary costs or the risk of prosecution. We have even seen cases of horses being attacked and eaten by dogs, with the horses lying for days in agony ignored by their owners. These horses are not microchipped or registered so owners cannot be prosecuted for their wanton and cruel neglect.
Intentional Cruelty

We have also seen a disturbing rise in the number of intentional cruelty cases. Horses & ponies have been deliberately hurt and killed by people. Animals have beaten and injured. In one instance, a pony was run over by a car. The car then reversed back to ensure they inflicted as much damage and pain as possible. In another case a dying horse was abandoned by 6 six men and covered in hay and left to die. Youths were later seen setting the hay and horse on fire. Easy access to these gentle animals makes it effortless for disturbed individuals to victimise them.
Neglect due to Lack of Understanding of Equine Care

The owners of these equine are not providing shelter for these animals as they don't own the land and are not permitted to erect stables or shelters. The owners don't know enough about medical treatment of these animals like vaccinations, hoof care, worming treatments, diseases, etc or can't afford them. Horses are not being fed correctly and do not have access to fresh water. Owners don't know about horses needing extra feed, water or shelter in winter.

Horses are being tied up using ropes, chains or ill-fitting harnesses and bridles. Most often the areas that the animals are being kept in are not secure or safe for the horses or members of the public. In a lot of cases these owners are horse lovers and they don't mean to harm the animals but they don't have the knowledge and resources to look after them and in turn the animals suffer.

Sorce: http://www.dspca.ie/dspca/equinecrisis

I living in Ireland, and loving horses, I am outraged.

Three More Horses Die

SPREE OF BARBARIC HORSE ATTACKS
DSPCA inundated with a variety of tragic horse incidents

Thursday 15th July 2010 – The Dublin SPCA is appealing for help having witnessed a number of horrific cases of cruelty to horses in the past week, resulting in three horses being euthanized. Three horses were rescued from different parts of Dublin on one day alone in a spree of barbaric horse attacks and cases of neglect.

Incident 1:
On Tuesday 6th July , the Dublin SPCA rescued a brown 5-year old female from Cuckoo’s Nest which has been deliberately painted from head to hoof in red oil-based paint. Had the horse not been rescued she would have made herself ill by ingesting the paint as she groomed herself. She was slightly underweight and is current recovering in Dublin SPCA.

Incident 2
Later that same day, a bay female with severe leg injuries was removed from Ongar, she was also underweight and is being treated for her injuries at the Dublin SPCA – she is likely to make a full recovery.

Incident 3
Last Friday, a brown & white two year old male pony was brought in to the DSPCA from Clondalkin suffering from untreated colic. He had been wholly mistreated and his body was wracked with multiple injuries sustained from trashing. Unfortunately he died at the shelter.

Incident 4
On Monday 12th July, a female horse put to sleep in Clondalkin by Dublin SPCA Veterinary Surgeon. The pregnant mare was allegedly ridden to exhaustion for hours the previous night by a gang of youths. A member of the public and Gardai got a vet out during the night, and early the next morning the Dublin SPCA were asked to attend the scene. There were numerous attempts at resuscitation and rescue failed as the animal had not responded to treatment.

Incident 5
Later that day a 3 year old male brown and white pony was rescued by a horse warden from the Park. He had chronic leg injury with embedded rope in its leg down to the bone. His wound was necrotic and the animal was suffering from fly strike. This animal was also put to sleep by Dublin SPCA Veterinary surgeon.

Incident 6
In the third incident in one day, Inspector Tony McGovern rescued a male dark bay pony with severe leg injury caused by embedded rope. This animal is currently being treated at the shelter.

Orla Aungier, Communications Manager, Dublin SPCA said: “Where does it end? The indifference, callousness and contempt that has been shown to towards these animals is just plain evil and it is continuing all over the city and country.

“We’ve run out of adjectives to describe our feelings about the suffering they are enduring. They have all been subjected to barbaric treatment and we would call on anyone who has anything further to reports in relation to these incidences or to contact Dublin SPCA or the Gardaí.”

“All horses need to be microchipped, licensed and have a passport. This is simply not the case in so many of the rescues Dublin SPCA have done this year; no one is taking responsibility for these animals.” said Jimmy Cahill CEO

This was an Earlier date from the first quote. Anyone else find this awful?
Eeeeyup. I'm Magpie, but I like to be called Feather. I just got my lazy rump back on here,
so if I had any troubles with y'll back in the day, I apologize!
So, I am a Whovian and I am a avid rager.

-x-Zaroque-x-
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

Re: Ireland's Equine Crisis

Post by -x-Zaroque-x- » Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:08 pm

That turely is terrible, I live in another part of England, though still, indeed it's a big problem.
Thank you for providing this!
Last edited by -x-Zaroque-x- on Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
..../\/\/\/...........------- Who am I? -------
.........../..........I'm Captain Jack Sparrow!

............\/\/\/.....Avatar © Gingerwolff <3

-Magpie-
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by -Magpie- » Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:07 am

I know. The pictures that are on the site, I''m not aloud put them on. There so awful D:
Eeeeyup. I'm Magpie, but I like to be called Feather. I just got my lazy rump back on here,
so if I had any troubles with y'll back in the day, I apologize!
So, I am a Whovian and I am a avid rager.

Zethra

Post by Zethra » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:39 am

That's really not good... not good at all. I really dont' know how to put much into words actually. ^^" The fact of one pony being litterally painted definatly does not do good to the animal.
Although it's good to see that there are people trying to save them aswell.
Thanks for sharing this Wolfsala.
............'..........Avatar by Zethra

Alpha Female
Former WQ Moderator
Name: Kali

Post by Alpha Female » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:40 am

This is quite unforunate. It seems to be a pretty big problem in Ireland, I do hope they can stop all these horse incidents from occuring. It is good that people are at least trying to stop it.
Thanks for sharing Wolfsala.
SOMETIMES
A KING
HAS TO REMIND
FOOLS WHY HE'S
K I N G

~WolfQuest member since 1969~

Return to “Take Action”