How do you Reduce, Reuse, Recycle?

Discuss how to take action in helping wildlife and the environment.

Moderator: Isela

WQ Project Coordinator
Former WQ Team Member
Former WQ Team Member

How do you Reduce, Reuse, Recycle?

Post by WQ Project Coordinator » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:59 am

Anything you can do to reduce, reuse, and recycle is going to help wildlife. What ways do you reduce, reuse, recycle?

Rikkuzilla
Name: Rikku

Re: How do you Reduce, Reuse, Recycle?

Post by Rikkuzilla » Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:36 am

I try very hard to recycle, but our recycle drop off points are a little far away from our home, so I will admit, I'm not very consistant when it comes to recycling.

However, I have completely gone paperless with my bills, which has helped considerably with the amount of paper that fills up my paper bins. (^o^)
:pawprint: WolfQuest: Undine Falls Pack Discord :pawprint:
**You must know a current member that uses the server to join.**

Nature Girl
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by Nature Girl » Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:50 am

Reduce: I use less water when I shower by filling up a bottle with water and pouring it all over me, LOL.

Reuse:
1: I found a piece of cloth on my bed one morning from my comforter and I tied it on my window sill and ish purdy! ^_^
2: I also use both sides of paper, recycle it after both sides have plenty of whatever (mostly wolf sketches) on them, and I have a little scrap paper box in my room that I use.
3: I ALSO collect any cardboard boxes I find and store them in my closet, and I keep all my recycle paper, scrap paper and spare (like it only has something on one side) paper in a shoebox or tissue box or something like that.

Recycle: I said what I did in the Reuse thingy. ^_^

I'm very eco. LOL.

wolf567
Former WQ Moderator

Post by wolf567 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:03 am

I recycle paper in the paper box that we got given my the council and it gets collected every 2 weeks. Soon we will be getting a bin were we put any recyclable stuff in and that will get collect every so often (Not sure when) (Just waiting for more bins to be made)
Wolf567 / Blaze

Midnight Snow
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Midnight Snow » Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:25 pm

Well, what to say. I try to use paper as effective as possible, and the temperature of my room isn't really way high (usually between 13-20 deg. Celsius). Also I don't light every light in every room I visit. Actually, I tend to turn lights off more often than on <.<

But on the recycling, I can, without the intention of bragging, tell you that Norway overall is one of the worlds best countries at recycling. In my city (town? xD), we sort paper/cardboard into one box, food leftovers into another, "leftovers" into a third, and in addition, organic material such as plants or sticks are delivered at a depot for that (though not one and one; in that case, they are leftovers <.<), and special/electrical things like TV's, computers, batteries and so on are delivered at another depot. Even so, it seems the handling and dumping of garbage can be(come) a problem for our nation, if it isn't already..

-Midnight Snow
     You're not paranoid. You know you aren't. At least you weren't, until they started coming after you.

WQ Project Coordinator
Former WQ Team Member
Former WQ Team Member

Post by WQ Project Coordinator » Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:26 pm

That is impressive Midnight Snow.

One thing that I am working on is called hypermiling. I drive about 15 miles each way to work so I am attempting to increase the number of miles I can get from my gas. Some of the suggested ways to do this are to use cruise control when possible, coast to red lights and stoplights as much as possible to limit the amount of time you sit idle at them, and increase your speed from stops at a gradual speed instead of trying to get back up to speed as quickly as possible. I was able to increase my miles per gallon by five on my last tank of gas. So I am working on reducing the amount of gas I use.

Blindseer
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Blindseer » Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:10 pm

I remembr seeing a show about a guy who reduced/reused everything.

he even washed and reused his paper towels, and split the separate layers of his toilet paper apart to reduce the amount bought.

\I think it might have been on ripleys: believe it or not.
icon by Rottenrobbie

Midnight Snow
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Midnight Snow » Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:20 am

WQ Project Coordinator wrote:That is impressive Midnight Snow.
Simply because I wrote it so that it would seem more impressive than it actually is..

And regarding the hypermiling, I have heard of that, too. I think it was the intention to make the drivers of the big trailers to use more of those techniques to reduse the outlet of those enormous cars. Of course, there was also a note stating that all normal drivers should use as many of them as posible as well; the less gas used, the better. By the way, isn't it so, that the lighter your car is, the less it uses? Could be good to know for some (hint for those who just let things float around in the car even if they're not used)^^

And an increase of 5 miles per gallon is quite the achievement in itself; that's well done, Michelle!

-Midnight Snow
     You're not paranoid. You know you aren't. At least you weren't, until they started coming after you.

wolf567
Former WQ Moderator

Post by wolf567 » Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:03 am

Also if there is important information on the paper we shred it and use it for the rabbits and hamsters bedding.
Wolf567 / Blaze

crusher12
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by crusher12 » Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:38 pm

My family recycles everything we CAN!
I have a job for whoever has some free time on their hands, and can (and enjoys) drawing semi-realistic people. It would most likely be a big and long job, but I hope whoever tries it enjoys it. For more info, please send me a PM.

Fenris
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Fenris » Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:48 pm

Truefully the only thing i recycle are plastic bottles and other plastic objects.

pawnee
Former WQ Moderator

Post by pawnee » Sat Jun 21, 2008 4:32 pm

I recently got a green bin for food scraps and biodegradable paper products to turn into compost, I recycle my paper, metal and plastic products and use a coffeee thermus instead of paper cups. I use biodegradeable soap and shampoo as well as cleaners for the house. I make sure to wash my car in a car wash station so the run off doesn`t go into the storm drains, and I only buy paper/ tissue products that are recycled paper and not forest products.
My Wolf Art http://pawnee.deviantart.com/
Its Not the Size of the dog in the fight, Its the size of the fight in the dog-Mark Twain

Midnight Snow
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Midnight Snow » Sun Jun 22, 2008 2:20 am

pawnee wrote:I recently got a green bin for food scraps and biodegradable paper products to turn into compost, I recycle my paper, metal and plastic products and use a coffeee thermus instead of paper cups. I use biodegradeable soap and shampoo as well as cleaners for the house. I make sure to wash my car in a car wash station so the run off doesn`t go into the storm drains, and I only buy paper/ tissue products that are recycled paper and not forest products.
Now that is ecological awareness and caring for the environment, Pawnee! You sound like you're actually doing what most people want or intend to do. Myself, I don't come close to being that gentle to the environment. First step to get closer; decrase use of computer <.<

-Midnight Snow

WQ (BaltoSource)

Post by WQ (BaltoSource) » Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:56 pm

pawnee wrote:I recently got a green bin for food scraps and biodegradable paper products to turn into compost, I recycle my paper, metal and plastic products and use a coffeee thermus instead of paper cups. I use biodegradeable soap and shampoo as well as cleaners for the house. I make sure to wash my car in a car wash station so the run off doesn`t go into the storm drains, and I only buy paper/ tissue products that are recycled paper and not forest products.
I love their idea of the recycling paper instead of forests.. but then, I love all the ideas XD *sounds pathetic*

anyway- wow.. helping the environment.. to be honest, I suck at it. D: I recycle a little, use a thermos, use fans instead of air conditioning.. shame on me for not being eco-friendly.. lol.. though I love the environment and would like to live in a "green" house :D

WQ Project Coordinator
Former WQ Team Member
Former WQ Team Member

Post by WQ Project Coordinator » Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:03 am

For those of you that are discouraged because you don't do as much as others---Take it one step at a time. Find one thing that you can do and try to do it. When you think that has become a habit, then add another. Every little bit helps---don't get discouraged.