Lexicon Chat disabled in WQ 2.5

Read and comment on the latest news about upcoming episodes and changes to the forum and games.

Moderators: Neamara, Koa

User avatar
valkea
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Posts: 3478
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:58 am
Name: Rowan
Gender: Male
Location: southern icefields

Re: Lexicon Chat disabled in WQ 2.5

Post by valkea » Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:56 pm

The Chemist wrote:Okay, so I've been reading this forum a while now, but I still have one or two questions. So the text chat in private games of WolfQuest 2.7 is kind of like Lexicon chat? And are there high chances that this chat will be used for the 2.7 game?
Private games in 2.7 have a text chat that is only filtered through a list of disallowed words, meaning that any word that is not on the list of disallowed words can be used in chat. It's different from lexicon, because lexicon only let you use words on a list of allowed words. So, the text chat in 2.7 is a lot more free than the lexicon was. It's only an option in private games, however there's an in-game messaging system you can use to set up private games with people you meet in public games, where it's restricted to phrase chat. You can also use the forums. I'm not sure what you mean by your second question, though. It's already in 2.7. I assume people are using it frequently for private games, but I haven't played multiplayer myself to see.

User avatar
SolitaryHowl
Skilled Hunter
Skilled Hunter
Posts: 6262
Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:13 pm
Gender: Female
Location: Canada

Re: Lexicon Chat disabled in WQ 2.5

Post by SolitaryHowl » Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:03 pm

Nia The ChibiDrawer wrote:As much as I do agree to the abuse and all the point of the game is for education, I feel this site is about to go down. I get on, there's only 1 server, and everyone is talking about leaving. Even though I don't visit as much as I used to, I'm thinking of uninstalling the game and just quit also since there's nothing to look excited for. Sure it' nice to learn about wolves and all but I also would like to make friends. It makes it more fun to learn and also create a friendship with each other. I don't know anything about this Wolfquest 2.7 or something other than it cost money. When you say "affordable" it still says to me "lol you can't buy it". Really hurts to see this is all going down, there's not much left other than the forums. I feel sorry for anyone who paid for the 2.7 and learned that they still can't use Lexicon.
There's a contest going on (that will end tomorrow), that you can enter to win a free copy of the game. Details here: http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=88&t=77935

WolfQuest 2.7 is an improvement to 2.5. There's a whole new map to explore (which is rather huge), the AI is overhauled, there are difficulty levels, you can raise pups in multiplayer with other people, there is an in-game messaging & friending & pack system so you can organize private games with people, and more.

Some more information on 2.7: http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewforum.php?f=81

Honestly, I don't understand why people are complaining. Multiplayer in 2.7 is vastly superior to 2.5, even with the lexicon chat gone. You can still easily make friends: join a public game, and if you get along with other players, add them as your friend in-game and message them. Get to know them that way if you want, or set up a private game with others.

User avatar
AmberZeWolf
Yearling
Yearling
Posts: 276
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:00 pm
Gender: Female
Location: In amethyst mountain.

Re: Lexicon Chat disabled in WQ 2.5

Post by AmberZeWolf » Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:59 pm

Excactly, Solitary. Honestly I'm thinking the people complaining are complaining to see if that will change the staff's minds, even though it was already confirmed.

User avatar
roguemoon
Yearling
Yearling
Posts: 416
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:40 pm
Gender: Female
Location: Canada

Re: Lexicon Chat disabled in WQ 2.5

Post by roguemoon » Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:05 am

Nia The ChibiDrawer wrote:As much as I do agree to the abuse and all the point of the game is for education, I feel this site is about to go down. I get on, there's only 1 server, and everyone is talking about leaving. Even though I don't visit as much as I used to, I'm thinking of uninstalling the game and just quit also since there's nothing to look excited for. Sure it' nice to learn about wolves and all but I also would like to make friends. It makes it more fun to learn and also create a friendship with each other. I don't know anything about this Wolfquest 2.7 or something other than it cost money. When you say "affordable" it still says to me "lol you can't buy it". Really hurts to see this is all going down, there's not much left other than the forums. I feel sorry for anyone who paid for the 2.7 and learned that they still can't use Lexicon.

Honestly, I highly doubt the site is about to go down. Quite the opposite really. Forum activity has spiked since 2.7 was announced, and multiplayer in 2.7 is still booming. I don't see how you can say that there's nothing to be excited for in 2.7- it's wonderful: new coats, new howls, new map, new AI, hundreds of bugfixes to make gameplay better, improved hunting, and a far better multiplayer system that makes it far easier to make friends and packs and gives you more freedom. I seriously suggest you follow SolitaryHowl's link and try out the free demo, 2.7 is great. and $10 is extremely affordable.

OtakuKisu
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:08 am

Re: Lexicon Chat disabled in WQ 2.5

Post by OtakuKisu » Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:50 am

I kinda don't get it. Doesn't disabling the easy way to chat and meet new people get players annoyed by the chatting? I personally am so annoyed by it so i don't feel like playing that much anymore. It's not a big deal for me because i play only 2.7 version now, BUT there's not free text chat either, and it makes me so annoyed that i just try to gather people to play private game with me.
I get that people were using the lexicon chat wrong, but is that so bad that the chat needs to be disabled from everyone :?: :/ There's always someone to chat inappropriately in games with a chat.

User avatar
Kipcha28
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 547
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:21 am
Gender: Female
Location: Probably at my computer.

Re: Lexicon Chat disabled in WQ 2.5

Post by Kipcha28 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:36 pm

OtakuKisu wrote:I kinda don't get it. Doesn't disabling the easy way to chat and meet new people get players annoyed by the chatting? I personally am so annoyed by it so i don't feel like playing that much anymore. It's not a big deal for me because i play only 2.7 version now, BUT there's not free text chat either, and it makes me so annoyed that i just try to gather people to play private game with me.
I get that people were using the lexicon chat wrong, but is that so bad that the chat needs to be disabled from everyone :?: :/ There's always someone to chat inappropriately in games with a chat.
There's nearly-free chat in private games. You can find private games (or start your own) in the "advertise your multiplayer game" thread, or on the WolfQuest FB group (or groups specifically set up for advertising private games), or just create a public game titled something like "setting up private game", message everyone in it with the private game info, and then go private.

And yes, it was so bad that the chat needed to be disabled. Even with the very, very limited chat, people would get creative and find a way around it by using other words. It was just way too time consuming for them to deal with the reports, and people showed no signs of stopping. "But why can't we just let it go, because someone will be inappropriate in any game?" you may ask. That's because this game is partly directed at children. The WQ team doesn't want to get in trouble from something that a child might come across by accident in an open, public game, and I believe they've had some legal scares. That's why text chat is private game only.

User avatar
AmberZeWolf
Yearling
Yearling
Posts: 276
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:00 pm
Gender: Female
Location: In amethyst mountain.

Re: Lexicon Chat disabled in WQ 2.5

Post by AmberZeWolf » Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:14 pm

Still, here we are still arguing about the lexicon chat and how text chat should be in open games. You know what will happen if that happened, it needs to stay in private games. People don't seem to mind ingame, and I didn't see anyone complain there, so why is everyone so hot headed about it in the forums? Just a simple question I think anyone could answer because the people complaining are the ones that would know why. Give me a good explanation that would probably pursue someone to put text chat in open games without having to bother staff to go in them and make sure people aren't being inappropriate, which is a tough job if you were to do that 24/7, please.

User avatar
Kamaal
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 1080
Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 9:08 am
Name: Kam
Gender: Female
Location: Wanna take a guess?

Re: Lexicon Chat disabled in WQ 2.5

Post by Kamaal » Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:36 am

For all those who are still complaining, I myself bought the game on Sunday, even if public games have only phrase chat, people can still invite other players to private servers, by simply befriending them (or even searching on the forums for servers on the "advertise your multiplayer games here!"). The method is so easy and quick and the almost free text chat gives you so much freedom to RP. The lexicon chat in 2.5 was so restricted and frustrating at the same time. You couldn't even type some simple words, (because a number of players acted inappropriately). Now with the new features the text chat in 2.7 it's much more enjoyable for those who want to have a really nice RP and for the little kids, who many times got confused, panicked and so on. Remember, WQ is for a younger audience, the team is forced to obey the US law. I don't get it, the only people who are complaining and complaining, don't seem to get the point on here. If that's what's your problem, you can simply stop playing the old, but as well as the new version and go to another game to simply RP, if that's what it's all about. Register on Feral Heart, Wolf Soul, etc, but do not complain the whole time. Appreciate what the team has given you. Those people have really worked hard to make such improvements to the game.

Now about what Snow said, in my opinion even if I miss lexicon chat in open games, there's not even a reason why the team should bring text chat in public games. People once again will break the rules and the team will be forced to shut it down once more.

User avatar
The Chemist
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training
Posts: 107
Joined: Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:29 pm
Name: Ariane!
Gender: Female
Location: Screaming into the void

Re: Lexicon Chat disabled in WQ 2.5

Post by The Chemist » Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:04 pm

Private games in 2.7 have a text chat that is only filtered through a list of disallowed words, meaning that any word that is not on the list of disallowed words can be used in chat. It's different from lexicon, because lexicon only let you use words on a list of allowed words. So, the text chat in 2.7 is a lot more free than the lexicon was. It's only an option in private games, however there's an in-game messaging system you can use to set up private games with people you meet in public games, where it's restricted to phrase chat. You can also use the forums. I'm not sure what you mean by your second question, though. It's already in 2.7. I assume people are using it frequently for private games, but I haven't played multiplayer myself to see.
[/quote]

Okay, I understand now. Sorry about the second question, I wasn't thinking straight at the moment. What I meant to say is that if there were high chances of putting phrase chat in public games.

By the way, I read that you need a new account for the 2.7 game. Why don't the old accounts work?

User avatar
valkea
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Posts: 3478
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:58 am
Name: Rowan
Gender: Male
Location: southern icefields

Re: Lexicon Chat disabled in WQ 2.5

Post by valkea » Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:07 pm

Phrase chat is already in public games in 2.7.
Old accounts don't work because game and forum accounts are separate, while in 2.5 they were the same.

User avatar
alethe
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 2809
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:39 pm
Name: [REDACTED]
Gender: Female
Location: deep space gay
Contact:

Re: Lexicon Chat disabled in WQ 2.5

Post by alethe » Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:53 pm

tbh I feel like this thread needs to be closed, mainly because of all the people beating the already dead horse about how it'll be "harder" to meet new people and others replying with why it was a good idea to disable it. The thread feels like its run its course; I'm not quite sure what else to discuss here.

User avatar
Kamaal
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 1080
Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 9:08 am
Name: Kam
Gender: Female
Location: Wanna take a guess?

Re: Lexicon Chat disabled in WQ 2.5

Post by Kamaal » Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:46 am

Skybreaker wrote:tbh I feel like this thread needs to be closed, mainly because of all the people beating the already dead horse about how it'll be "harder" to meet new people and others replying with why it was a good idea to disable it. The thread feels like its run its course; I'm not quite sure what else to discuss here.
I agree with what Skybreaker said, there's no point keeping the thread active, people keep repeating and repeating the same thing, either positive or negative. The lexicon chat in 2.5 isn't returning either way.

User avatar
paperpaws
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator
Posts: 4390
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:44 pm
Contact:

Re: Lexicon Chat disabled in WQ 2.5

Post by paperpaws » Thu Dec 17, 2015 4:22 am

Skybreaker wrote:The thread feels like its run its course; I'm not quite sure what else to discuss here.
Going to have to agree with you there. There is not much more to say that has not already been said from both sides, and this is a final decision. I'll be locking this; if anyone disagrees, let me know.

Locked

Return to “WolfQuest News and Announcements”