Do You Think Have prey preffrences?

Discuss wolves (news, sightings, etc.).

Moderators: Isela, Koa

pawnee
Former WQ Moderator

Do You Think Have prey preffrences?

Post by pawnee » Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:25 pm

This isn`t a scientific question, just a fun one. Do you think wolves have a preffrence in what they eat? Or if they think that one meal is tastier than the other? One wolf might like elk for supper and some wolves might have a taste for moose or deer. Or then agian they could just not care and eat whatever is infront of them...but thats not as fun to think about.
My Wolf Art http://pawnee.deviantart.com/
Its Not the Size of the dog in the fight, Its the size of the fight in the dog-Mark Twain

Howlin' Wolf
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Re: Do You Think Have prey preffrences?

Post by Howlin' Wolf » Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:48 pm

lol i think they might have food preffrences. On Wolf Quest i like chasing elk more than rabbits! lol also, if they had an elk and a deer infront of them they might chase the preffrence.
Meep.
......what? you want me to say something else? :O Okay....THIS. IS. SPARTAAAAA!
(btw, mai multiplayer account name ish BlackRose567; named after my wolfie character herself. :3

Chenneoue
Pup
Pup

Post by Chenneoue » Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:26 am

I would think so. Like any animal or person, for what ever the reason or cause, you will tend to eat more of one thing than another. I know my cats prefer certain things to another, I would assume wolves, and others would be the same.

Heck...even my fish are picky!

Blindseer
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Blindseer » Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:48 am

I even had a goldfish that ate other fish a couple years ago.
icon by Rottenrobbie

Vida
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Vida » Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:30 pm

I definately think they have food preferances. Out of fish flavoured food, my cat will only eat salmon-flavoured.
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” - Mahatma Gandhi

Site for writers: http://inkassociation.proboards76.com/

pawnee
Former WQ Moderator

Post by pawnee » Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:07 pm

well I know at zoos they often feed rats and hamsters to captuive wolves, but I don`t really know if a wolf would want a rat compared to venison. Then agian I wonder what people would say if you fed lamb to the wolves.
Its Not the Size of the dog in the fight, Its the size of the fight in the dog-Mark Twain

Vida
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Vida » Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:46 pm

No one has complaints when you feed a rat to a wolf, but when you feed a lamb they'll probably be like this --> D:<. It depends if they're alive or not.

I have no problems if they fed lambs to a wolf, the lambs were probably going to be eaten by humans anyway.
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” - Mahatma Gandhi

Site for writers: http://inkassociation.proboards76.com/

pawnee
Former WQ Moderator

Post by pawnee » Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:13 pm

i didn`t really mean that wolves were eating "cute" animals, more so the irony of how wolves should never eat livestock, and what would be the response from the public if keepers fed captive wolves lamb and sheep carcasses. but thats another way of looking at it, in the 1800s, one of the propaganda compaigns agianst the wolf were that wolves and predators killed "cute" or "innocent" animals such as lambs and baby deer fawns, and the wolf was basically a bully.

Chenneoue
Pup
Pup

Post by Chenneoue » Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:29 am

pawnee wrote:well I know at zoos they often feed rats and hamsters to captuive wolves, but I don`t really know if a wolf would want a rat compared to venison. Then agian I wonder what people would say if you fed lamb to the wolves.

Personally I rather them eat lamb. If these are captive wolves, and never to be released, I would say go ahead! It better and probably closer to some of things they would eat. I wouldn't feed to wolves that are going to return to the wild, this way you have no one screaming claiming they have a taste for livestock.

But really, a varitey should be fed, as I think many zoos do. Just depends on what they can afford and get their hands on.

Kyuubi no yoko
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Kyuubi no yoko » Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:12 pm

Oh yes I am sure they do. Even predatory insects have prey preferences LOL.
I own the night!

Former moderator. :)

Darkwolfe
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Darkwolfe » Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:59 pm

Wolves aren't stupid. I'm afraid I don't remember the location, but there was a time when ranchers would poison a sheep or calf carcass and leave it out to kill wolves. It didn't take long for the wolves to figure out that eating a sheep or calf carcass equaled a chance to die.

In the end, the ranchers thinned out the coyote population a bit and barely touched the wolves. I'd bet in those areas the wolves chose a safer prey than livestock.
Of Wolf and Man...

SwanSong
Pup
Pup

Post by SwanSong » Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:07 pm

I've seen dogs and cats that have specific food preferences.
Darkwolfe wrote:Wolves aren't stupid. I'm afraid I don't remember the location, but there was a time when ranchers would poison a sheep or calf carcass and leave it out to kill wolves. It didn't take long for the wolves to figure out that eating a sheep or calf carcass equaled a chance to die.
America was the location.
"A prince does not look back;
Only ahead."

Darkwolfe
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Darkwolfe » Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:30 pm

SwanSong wrote:I've seen dogs and cats that have specific food preferences.
Darkwolfe wrote:Wolves aren't stupid. I'm afraid I don't remember the location, but there was a time when ranchers would poison a sheep or calf carcass and leave it out to kill wolves. It didn't take long for the wolves to figure out that eating a sheep or calf carcass equaled a chance to die.
America was the location.
Well, as I think about it, you're probably right. It's likely to have happened all over the place. Wish I could remember the exact location where it was real obvious though... Big blank spot in the memory.
Of Wolf and Man...

king1-7
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by king1-7 » Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:04 am

I do think they prefer the taste of some things to others.

In fact, in 'Asta Bowen's book, Hungry for Home: A Wolf Odyssey", the pack of wolves found a cow carcass. They ate it because it was a free food opportunity, but it was made out to be nasty-tasting.

I don't know how scientific that is, but the book is based on a series of actual events and a real pack of wolves. Just felt like throwing in in there.
Rest in peace, sisters Lakota and Mackenzie

Avvie by me

Lyrak
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Lyrak » Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:25 am

I wouldn't doubt it. Most animals seem to have preferences.

Every dog I've ever known prefers treats to their regular food, and table scraps to their regular treats. My cat prefers one food over another (oddly she prefers the cheap "inferior" stuff over the quality foods... I don't get it). She doesn't like chicken as a treat but will eat tuna and beef. My mother's cat won't eat beef but LOVES chicken.

My grandfather's dog likes beef scraps, but if he smells lamb he goes NUTS.

And I prefer venison to beef.

So I figure wolves probably have preferences too.
Avatar by Goldenwolf (http://goldenwolfen.com/).

Return to “General Wolf Discussion”