Why Wolves

Discuss wolves (news, sightings, etc.).

Moderators: Isela, Koa

bluewave193
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Why Wolves

Post by bluewave193 » Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:15 pm

I have loved wolves for many years now and thinking back I can't remember why? So I'm asking the world. Why wolves?

pawnee
Former WQ Moderator

Re: Why Wolves

Post by pawnee » Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:16 pm

For me:

Their intelligent, social and mysertious. Their similiar to people as they have families, care for one another and function as a single unit. They can take prey much bigger than themseles. They love puppies, even if their not their own, and realize when not to have offspring in times of food shortages.

Wolves are also complex as an individual. No two wolves have the same personality, and each brings something diffrent to the pack.

Also when I was little I got pet a wolf at a conservation centre...I always loved dogs but the wolf is like the ultimate 'dog' you could say....so I was hooked.
My Wolf Art http://pawnee.deviantart.com/
Its Not the Size of the dog in the fight, Its the size of the fight in the dog-Mark Twain

Canidae
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Canidae » Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:47 pm

Because most people aren't yet aware of the unfair and terrible history that wolves had in this country, but I do, I kind of feel like it's my responsibility as a human to help make things right between wolves and humans.

I also love how intelligent wolves are, and the complexity of their behaviors is enough to boggle anybody's mind. Also...do you know of an animal with a more beautiful-sounding call? :mrgreen:

And comparing them to humans is strikingly accurate...I guess I feel a sort of kinship with them, especially now that I have a hands-on job with them at the feline conservatory.
Like animal photography? Check out my Deviantart account:
http://familycanidae.deviantart.com/

Songdog
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Songdog » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:13 pm

Wolves are boring, over-marketed, and cliche. I like coyotes and deer. Deer are more aesthetically interesting for me, and coyotes are more clever, more adaptable, and can be more diverse than wolves. Plus they look cooler.

Wonder why I'm here then...

Blightwolf
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

Post by Blightwolf » Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:55 am

Same reasons with pawnee, though I agree with Songdog that wolves are very over-marketed and cliché. Nowadays it just sounds so commercial if you confess you like wolves.
AUGUST 2009 USER OF THE MONTH

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:27 pm

Songdog wrote:Wolves are boring, over-marketed, and cliche. I like coyotes and deer. Deer are more aesthetically interesting for me, and coyotes are more clever, more adaptable, and can be more diverse than wolves. Plus they look cooler.

Wonder why I'm here then...

I agree with you. I only came here because I was interested in the life of the wolf, and wanted to take a break from my big-cat obessions lol. I'm still sitting along the edge of the fence as big cats still being my favorite creatures. (cheetahs and cougars in particular)

I fancy the more endangered species of cheetahs, however. And the same goes for wolves (even though I don't fancy them as much as I do big-cats). The ethiopian wolf (although people are debating if it's classified as a wolf or not) and the maned wolf (not really a wolf; more of a long-legged fox)

Plus you rarely see games where you can actually play the life of an animal (that's realistic anyway) so that's also part of my long explanation.
YOU SAY YOU WANT TO GET BETTER AND YOU DON'T KNOW HOW.

Nor-easter Forecast

Post by Nor-easter Forecast » Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:41 am

What Songdog said is true about them being over-marketed, but I must object to the 'boring' part. I see wolves as the prefect misunderstood person trying to find a place in the world, and just because they are born hunters doesn't mean they are born killers. (if you know what I mean) They are also just so powerful and (to me) very like humans in a sense.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
ˢ ʳ ˢ
ˢ ʳʸʰ ˢ ʰ
ˣ ˢ ʰˢ,
ʰ ʳʸʰ
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

av/sig/quote © coyoteflu/LupinzPack/patty griffin

Aurora Alaska
New Pack Member
New Pack Member
Location: Being in Aurora's Place of Absolute Excitement and Dullness and Oxymorons

Post by Aurora Alaska » Sat Oct 31, 2009 3:23 pm

They are very unique and are great at teamwork. I've always loved dogs, and since I was little I've liked wolves, yet never loved them as much as I did last year. Last year, it seemed to me like they were the realistic version of the Warriors series . . . And really easy to use in a story.
Aurora
Hope is a shining beacon. Let it lead you to your true place. Let it guide your soul.

bluewave193
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by bluewave193 » Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:31 pm

Hoover wrote:What Songdog said is true about them being over-marketed, but I must object to the 'boring' part. I see wolves as the prefect misunderstood person trying to find a place in the world, and just because they are born hunters doesn't mean they are born killers. (if you know what I mean) They are also just so powerful and (to me) very like humans in a sense.
Or are we like them?

Nor-easter Forecast

Post by Nor-easter Forecast » Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:30 pm

bluewave193 wrote:
Hoover wrote:What Songdog said is true about them being over-marketed, but I must object to the 'boring' part. I see wolves as the prefect misunderstood person trying to find a place in the world, and just because they are born hunters doesn't mean they are born killers. (if you know what I mean) They are also just so powerful and (to me) very like humans in a sense.
Or are we like them?
In some ways we are, and in some not. For example, all humans take part in raising, protecting and teaching a child just as a wolf pack would do. We have the all-important leaders and the second-in-command below them; then there are the lowest ranking and poorest people. But humans hunt for fun and wolves don't, we also have tons of different jobs while in a wolf pack it's quite simple; yearlings baby sit, dominate pair give orders, rest of the pack hunts and marks territory.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
ˢ ʳ ˢ
ˢ ʳʸʰ ˢ ʰ
ˣ ˢ ʰˢ,
ʰ ʳʸʰ
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

av/sig/quote © coyoteflu/LupinzPack/patty griffin

- Yana -
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by - Yana - » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:32 pm

Hoover wrote:
bluewave193 wrote:
Or are we like them?
In some ways we are, and in some not. For example, all humans take part in raising, protecting and teaching a child just as a wolf pack would do. We have the all-important leaders and the second-in-command below them; then there are the lowest ranking and poorest people. But humans hunt for fun and wolves don't, we also have tons of different jobs while in a wolf pack it's quite simple; yearlings baby sit, dominate pair give orders, rest of the pack hunts and marks territory.

I have to agree with what you've said. And yes, Wolves are not born killers. I love canines, of all species. (Well not so much for coyotes and jackals.)

Wolves are clever, wise, caring, amazing animals. I love how they are loyal to their pack mates, cooperative as a pack, intelligent and independent. The fact that they live in close-knit families, care for one another and use teamwork to over come most problems amazes me. They make great parents, and companions to their pack. I love everything about them. The sound of their howl, their appearance, their ability to survive in harsh conditions depending where they are.

Wolph
Yearling
Yearling

Post by Wolph » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:30 am

I don't like coyotes very much, not after they tried to kill my goat. I see deer more as trophy and for survival so they don't really have support from me there. Sorry SD. Really I don't put much thought into things that don't need much thought. Wolves may be a cliche but what do we really know about them? With WQ we may know more than we first did but I doubt even experts know everything about them. But really I don't know why I like wolves, just happens I do.
╚╗Military╔╝
Olympics Team USA
_____ ѦԌѦТЄ CRЄЄҠ PѦCҠ
______________♠ gυαя∂ιαη ♠
2010 мαя¢н υѕєя σf тнє мσитн
Know as ✦ αямуωσℓf (αяму) ✦ and ♠ ωσℓρн ♠
Avatar © me - coloradospirit13.deviantart.com

moonshadowwalker
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by moonshadowwalker » Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:39 pm

Wow, you all have very interesting points and veiws, I love wolves and always have done, I have no idea why though? I like most animals as it is but cats ( big and small ) and canines (esp. Wolves ) have always been special to me. If I ever discover why this is I will let you know. :)
I stalk the night, the day, the dreams. searching for someone, is it you? have you seen me?
PM me if you do!!
I'm helping the Decepticons take over, AAaarrrroooooooooooooooo

Return to “General Wolf Discussion”