Why Wolves

Discuss wolves. (News, sightings, conservation, status, etc.)

Moderators: Isela, Koa

bluewave193
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Re: Why Wolves

Post by bluewave193 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:38 pm

Wolph wrote:I don't like coyotes very much, not after they tried to kill my goat. I see deer more as trophy and for survival so they don't really have support from me there. Sorry SD. Really I don't put much thought into things that don't need much thought. Wolves may be a cliche but what do we really know about them? With WQ we may know more than we first did but I doubt even experts know everything about them. But really I don't know why I like wolves, just happens I do.
I feel the same way. But after giving this some thought I can't shake an underlying feeling for WHY i love them....

shadow229
Pup
Pup

Post by shadow229 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:12 am

because many people are afraid of them and think of them as evil animals.i think of them a noble animals.when i look at a wolf i see the domestic dog's ancestor.what many people don't realize is that if there were no wolves there would be no dogs.they are afraid of people and would rather run than attack.also there beutiful animals to look at. :mrgreen:
HOLY TACOS!!!!!........Randomness and wolves rule ;)

My signature is of Firepaw from Warriors. I DID NOT draw it. :)

pawnee
Former WQ Moderator

Post by pawnee » Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:23 pm

Songdog wrote:Wolves are boring, over-marketed, and cliche. I like coyotes and deer. Deer are more aesthetically interesting for me, and coyotes are more clever, more adaptable, and can be more diverse than wolves. Plus they look cooler.

Wonder why I'm here then...

Well with the stupid werewolf thing I would say wolves are cliche in films. Personally I like the look of wolves more so than coyotes...I find coyotes and foxes are feline like in appearance while dogs and wolves are larger.

So we made the jump from canines to deer have we? a little off topic eh? XD
My Wolf Art http://pawnee.deviantart.com/
Its Not the Size of the dog in the fight, Its the size of the fight in the dog-Mark Twain

-Outcast-
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by -Outcast- » Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:32 pm

Hoover wrote:What Songdog said is true about them being over-marketed, but I must object to the 'boring' part. I see wolves as the prefect misunderstood person trying to find a place in the world, and just because they are born hunters doesn't mean they are born killers. (if you know what I mean) They are also just so powerful and (to me) very like humans in a sense.
yes, I agree, I love wolves because they are social, beautiful, smart animals who care for one another
I am afraid to say I have quit Wolfquest.
You can find me on the Wolf_home forums and chat as Infelicity.

SAUSAGES
Pup
Pup
Location: In the sky, watching WQFan watching Numiar watching Kivia watching RanFidd eat a scarf.

Post by SAUSAGES » Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:04 pm

I'm not good at spelling but here we go . . .

We have a major obsession so cute things. Dogs have always been number one to most, because they have big pleading eyes, are cunning in a way that makes everyone laugh, they are innocent, and they have always been mans best friend.

Humans are trapped in the box of modern day society, so we have always taken love and care and interest with the subject of nature. Wolfs are strong and fierce and fight for survival. They represent everything that humans used to be and stand for, before we got trapped in this box. Yet, they still have the cute characteristics of dogs.

Another reason we like the wild is that it is in human nature to fancy blood and gore. With having to do less and less in the day, we find that less things amuse us, so one day, being as bored as we are, humans realized that as long as it's not happening to us, pain can be funny. So what does this have to do with anything? Well because we like gore, we are fasinated by the killing, the dying, the eating, the MAULING of animals, but not quite ourselves, as pain to other humans may be funny, but the dying of other humans is not. Although death has ALWAYS interested humans.
I do not support the alliance.
I do support the Fdshfbvsk Band.

-Outcast-
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by -Outcast- » Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:27 pm

SAUSAGES wrote:I'm not good at spelling but here we go . . .

We have a major obsession so cute things. Dogs have always been number one to most, because they have big pleading eyes, are cunning in a way that makes everyone laugh, they are innocent, and they have always been mans best friend.

Humans are trapped in the box of modern day society, so we have always taken love and care and interest with the subject of nature. Wolfs are strong and fierce and fight for survival. They represent everything that humans used to be and stand for, before we got trapped in this box. Yet, they still have the cute characteristics of dogs.

Another reason we like the wild is that it is in human nature to fancy blood and gore. With having to do less and less in the day, we find that less things amuse us, so one day, being as bored as we are, humans realized that as long as it's not happening to us, pain can be funny. So what does this have to do with anything? Well because we like gore, we are fasinated by the killing, the dying, the eating, the MAULING of animals, but not quite ourselves, as pain to other humans may be funny, but the dying of other humans is not. Although death has ALWAYS interested humans.
very VERY well said!

Maned_Wolf
Pup
Pup

Post by Maned_Wolf » Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:01 pm

I love wolves because they've been so misunderstood and given a bad name through out the years and also lots of myths about then have been spread (and are still around,relatives of those who helped kill the wolves years ago or just people who are uninformed may still think absolutely crazy things about wolves) that it's actually amazing to sit down with a book or on the computer and read what these animals are really about.

The effort that goes into the hunt,the cooperation in the pack,the way they all work together to raise pups,defend territory and survive and the same goes for a lot of animals out there too. Although I am really interested in canines I still like all the animals on this earth...and well even if there are some animals I'm not to fond of I still realize they have a place in this world and what they do for their ecosystems is a lot more important then if I like them or not. 8)
Hark! hear the howl that eats the moon alive!

Kivia

Post by Kivia » Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:18 am

Why do I like wolves....

Well, basically because I think they are beautiful animals and misunderstood by many. Plus, many of them have been endangered, and I really wanted to help them.

But the real reason would probably go back to when I was a child. In my full name, the word "wolf" is in there, and I am often called "Wolf" at school. When I learned more about wolves though, I soon grew up loving them because of the fact "wolf" is in my full name.

I hope that isn't too personal, but it is the truth.

Loua
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Loua » Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:47 pm

pawnee wrote:For me:

Their intelligent, social and mysertious. Their similiar to people as they have families, care for one another and function as a single unit. They can take prey much bigger than themseles. They love puppies, even if their not their own, and realize when not to have offspring in times of food shortages.

Wolves are also complex as an individual. No two wolves have the same personality, and each brings something diffrent to the pack.
Never fear shadows. They simply mean there's a light shining somewhere nearby
~Ruth E. Renkel

¿sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ oʇ ʇɐɥʇ ǝʞıן pɐǝɥ ɹnoʎ ƃuıuɹnʇ pɹıǝʍ ןɐǝɹ ʞooן noʎ ʍouʞ noʎ pıp

Birdwatching is AWESOME!!!!!

Avvie by Me!

ShootingStars
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by ShootingStars » Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:05 pm

How can you not like them? I find them inspirational, although I don't know how, and they are very caring to eachother (If they behave, lol) *And, maybe unlike some people, I don't hunt for fun, I hunt for food sometimes, I hunt turkey, and my dad hunts deer *(little off topic), I never personal saw a wolf in my life 'cause I live in the Suburbs, but they fascinate me, they are very intelligent creatures, sure you got the bears and he cougars, but they don't have the same, er, effect I guess on me. I think, WOLVES LIVE LIFE TO THE FULLEST!
❂❂❂❂❂❂❂❂❂❂❂❂❂❂ⓗⓞⓞⓣⓘⓝⓖⓣⓐⓡⓢ❂❂❂❂❂❂❂❂❂❂❂❂❂❂

Kivia

Post by Kivia » Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:19 pm

ShootingStars wrote:How can you not like them? I find them inspirational, although I don't know how, and they are very caring to eachother (If they behave, lol) *And, maybe unlike some people, I don't hunt for fun, I hunt for food sometimes, I hunt turkey, and my dad hunts deer *(little off topic), I never personal saw a wolf in my life 'cause I live in the Suburbs, but they fascinate me, they are very intelligent creatures, sure you got the bears and he cougars, but they don't have the same, er, effect I guess on me. I think, WOLVES LIVE LIFE TO THE FULLEST!
Same here; I've never seen a wolf in my life, but one day I hope I do^^

Kitari
Pup
Pup

Post by Kitari » Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:21 am

Wolves just seem to have a way of drawing you in, they are so majestic looking and you could get lost in their eyes. Also, when I was younger, I had a dog who was a husky wolf mix, he was an amazing dog and really got me loving wolves.

ShadowwPaw
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Location: Most likely where no one else would go, standing in the deep, new snow.

Post by ShadowwPaw » Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:47 pm

moonshadowwalker wrote:Wow, you all have very interesting points and veiws, I love wolves and always have done, I have no idea why though? I like most animals as it is but cats ( big and small ) and canines (esp. Wolves ) have always been special to me. If I ever discover why this is I will let you know. :)
Feels pretty much the same for me! :P
Northern Eclipse Clan
Beta Female
Trekka
To look into the eyes of the wolf, is like looking into your ownSoul.

ShadowwPaw
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Location: Most likely where no one else would go, standing in the deep, new snow.

Post by ShadowwPaw » Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:48 pm

Wolves are amazingly interesting... But i don't exactly know "Why Wolves?"
Even though i love them, its hard to say "Why" exactly...
Northern Eclipse Clan
Beta Female
Trekka
To look into the eyes of the wolf, is like looking into your ownSoul.

-Outcast-
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by -Outcast- » Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:20 am

I think most people exaggerate wolves, and thats why they like them. for example, when people think of wolves, some of them might think of this "Wolves. Awesome snarling animals who break out randomly fighting, and howl at the moon" a good example would be Wolf's Rain, the anime. But in reality, wolves are just mangy yet pretty animals, who eat, sleep, and reproduce for life. Theres nothing about them that makes them any more special than other animals.