Why Wolves

Discuss wolves. (News, sightings, conservation, status, etc.)

Moderators: Isela, Koa

okamilover
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Re: Why Wolves

Post by okamilover » Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:10 pm

Songdog wrote:Wolves are boring, over-marketed, and cliche. I like coyotes and deer. Deer are more aesthetically interesting for me, and coyotes are more clever, more adaptable, and can be more diverse than wolves. Plus they look cooler.

Wonder why I'm here then...

i think wolves are awesome and i feel bad for them because they are treated badly i hate it when people shoot and kill wolves that is why i made a save the wolves public club not a online club

MoonlitEyes
Pup
Pup

Post by MoonlitEyes » Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:45 pm

I love wolves just because of their intelligeant and compassionate nature. I'm attracted to the power, beauty, and grace of wolves; not to mention their mystique. Are they good? Are they bad? Are they happy? Are they sad? Are they vermin? Are they special? The world is asking itself that, and sadly... on the scale, wolves are weighing down towards "vermin" on the wolrd's critique. I won't get into politics.... But another reason why I love them is because they are one of the most unique animals in the world, yet so misjudged. That's why I fell in love with WolfQuest. However, when it comes to my "favorite animals" food chain, wolves forever lay in the shadow of horses.
"Moon, worn thin to the width of a quill,
In the dawn clouds flying,
How good to go, light into light, and still
Giving light, dying."

Proud Master Ninja of ♥Twisted Fury Pack Reborn♥
Nicknames: Dusters, Moon, Dusteroo(O.o)

wolfess
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by wolfess » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:45 pm

I agree that I also love horses and they have competed wig wolves for my heart, but I do not like horse herd structure and I I had to pick an animal to be it would be a wolf. Wolves can run up to 35-40 mph, swim, and some can even climb trees. They are loyal family creatures that truly love and care for one another. They are forever in my heart. I wish I could do somehibg more to stop their slaughter. I can't remember when I started liking wolves, when I was you g I always thought the idea of a ' big bad ' wolf was stupid, I guess I always loved them no one else in my family does, hey dot understand their gentleness.
"On the ragged edge of the world I'll roam, and the home of the wolf shall be my home."
-Robert Service, The Nostomaniac

"To look into the eyes of a wolf is to see your own soul - hope you like what you see."
-Aldo Leopold

aidenwolfe
Pup
Pup

Post by aidenwolfe » Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:45 pm

Personally since I was a kid I've always had a love for these beautiful animals because they are just gorgeous large animals that are very intelligent, and like us they are like one big family they are teachers, teaching their pups the way of the wolf hunting socializing and playing. they are sons and daughters, mothers and fathers that can race along the land for miles on end as one not killing each other for a single thing ridiculous. They deserve to live among humans because not only were they here before us they are very much like us a family who love one another and also they take the sick and old deer to leave us the healthy ones. Wolves are just amazing
What do you do when she looks to you with trust in her eyes, and all you feel is the Wolf burning inside?

The amazing avvy/icon is part of a badge made for me by my amazing friend on DA - NinjaHobbit09

Blightwolf
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

Post by Blightwolf » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:51 am

I am mostly interested in the wolves' biological and genetic capabilities, such as their social structure and pack behavior, etc. Wolves have many interesting traits.
AUGUST 2009 USER OF THE MONTH

jljarubas
Pup
Pup

Post by jljarubas » Mon May 17, 2010 7:36 pm

I love wolves simply because I just love them. I've always loved them. Since I was really little. I have a special place in my heart for them and it will always be there. There's just something special about them. The way they look, the way they howl, and just the way they raise their families. Wolf howls are a relaxer for me. They are the one thing that makes me relaxed when I'm away from my horse. Their the best animals in the world besides horses.

Atropine
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Atropine » Tue May 18, 2010 11:43 am

Wolves have always been my second favourite animal, next to blue whales. The thing that sparked my interest was when we went to Scotland and went to a animal reserve, and there were wolves there. I was fascinated, and my parents had to practically drag me away. :') Their social structures intrigue me, and they are so complex. I do agree, however, that there is a lot of wolf propaganda and it can be quite cliché.

caninesrock
Pup
Pup

Post by caninesrock » Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:31 am

To me gray wolves symbolize how humanity should behave. All the wolves love the pups that aren't even their own and babysit and help out and all wolves get to eat whether they were in the hunt or not and they work together and look out for each other. I think we humans could learn a sense of community from them instead of only caring about our own lives and ignoring other people and not taking care of their needs. I believe the whole world should be like one big wolf pack and we should make sure even the ones who are unable to "hunt" for themselves(homeless,handicapped,etc.) are well taken care of. Community is the essence of the gray wolf pack and what holds them together. That's why I love them so much.
As for the red wolf, it only involves the mother,father,and offspring looking out for each other,but the gray wolf pack is a whole community of extended family relatives with a unique social structure and order that isn't found in that many other species.

I'm not saying wolves are perfect. They do have flaws like the fact that they have an omega that they are emotionally abusive to,but I see more beautiful qualities and less flaws in wolves than I see in humans. And as for people who say the wolf is a beautiful animal, I don't know if they're talking about physical beauty,but for me the beauty of them comes from their strong sense of community that holds the pack together. I also love their loyalty in the fact that they are one of the few animals that actually mate for life and how males and females are treated equal in the pack(well except according to rank,but the pack ranks aren't based on gender). In other animals, like lions, the females are treated horrible. Lion prides have one male who knocks up a ton of females and the females have to hunt the food while the lions sleep all day,but the males get to eat first even though they don't do anything.( I know cause I've watched Animal Planet documentaries on various animals since I was like five years old).

Ziah
Yearling
Yearling
Location: in your kitchen eating all of your pie... and not sharing XD

Post by Ziah » Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:08 pm

Well i love wolves because (get ready for a long list)

There smart, Playfull, Mysterious, Social, Loving parents, Caring about their pack, Strong, Swift, Beutiful, Facinating, Fun to make up stories about them, Cool to draw, they inspired wolfquest, and just because!
:D
Formally Puppygirl531

Proud Hunter of the Fdshfbvsk Band

Proud Windclan member of TFC
Proud Griffindor member of the Las cautro alianzas

Avvie by "Adalae and Sheeba's Growing Pokemon Adoptables"

Haskie
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Haskie » Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:18 pm

Why wolves...good question oO''
Hmmm...wolves are beautiful ^^ beautiful and mysterious. They are very clever. I love this eyes, so beautiful mysterious eyes o,o' XD
My english is bad...please don't kill me D8.

Crocotto
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Crocotto » Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:42 am

Personally, I think most of the hype about wolves is based just on their appearance. That's what gets alot of people hooked, then they add the other stuff. I didn't get hooked.

Why I'm a talking about this you may ask? Simple, take a look at a group of wolf fan art and you'll notice 1 common detail......99.9% of the art ONLY uses the Stocky, long haired, Moose Guzzling, North American Timber Wolves or Siberian Wolves as their basis.

What happen to all the other sub-species of wolves? Wolves aren't my favorite animal, not by a long shot. But my personal favorite sub-species would have to be either the Dingo, or Indian Wolf. Now I can sorta understand the Dingo, because technically its a wild dog; but why hasn't the Indian Wolf gotten any spot light? Just because its got short hair, big ears, and is not nearly as bulky as the Timber wolf, is it any less a wolf?
Some facts about the Indian Wolf that I think are more interesting then anything the Timber Wolves got.

1. Genetic research has shown that wolves in India are the oldest in the world, and likely are the ancestors of ALL other wolf subspecies. In fact, the skeletons of prehistoric wolves in Europe are almost identical to those of modern Indian wolves.

2. They are the true ancestors of our dogs. Their skulls are almost identical to those of primitive dog breeds such as dingoes, and their vocalizations consist largely of short, sharp barks. They rarely howl. And the first domestic dogs did stem from Central Asia, right in the range of Indian Wolves. So yah, that moose guzzling poser had nothing to do with your beloved dog's ancestry....sorry to disappoint you.

3. Rudyard Kipling's The Jungle Book was one of my favorite books when I was a kid. And Indian Wolves ARE the wolves in its stories. It really annoys me when I see Jungle Book fan art that makes it look like the wolves would be more at home in the Arctic then the jungles of India.

Here's a picture of a pair of Indian Wolves, and a Pair of Timber wolves for you all to compare
Indian Wolves http://hal_macgregor.tripod.com/kennel/indianwolf1.jpg
Timber Wolves http://thumb11.shutterstock.com.edgesui ... 625338.jpg

And don't get me started with all the other traits wolves have that I see people love on them for...-_-
~Convenience is no excuse to hide truth~

Blight-Wolf for Moderator!
# Team Anti-Wolfaboo

Faithwolf
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Faithwolf » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:20 pm

I have always loved wolfs-I'm more like an animal lover so I love every animals (but not bugs if u consider them animals) But whenever I see a wolf in real or a picture, I feel bad for them because people call them the sign of evil or they just kill them :'(
I would like to join a help wolfs clubs or something to stop wolfs from extinction :mrgreen: i <3 wolfs!
Twas the Nightmare before Christmas
I support Wolfie Blackheart <3

Adalae
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Adalae » Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:11 am

The reason I like wolves is because they're so beautiful and amazing. They can smell each other and each wolf has their own scent that they are identified by. They work as a team to raise pups and bring down animals that could possibly be 3 times the size of them. They mourn the loss of fellow pack mates and take the time to make sure their pack is safe by marking territory, fighting off other animals, etc. They would give their life to protect a pack mate and only hunt for survival. It is amazing that one wolf can become 5 or 6 wolves in only a couple of years.

I also like them because they are so misunderstood. They're like the monster in your closet. You never actually have seen them with your own eyes, however you're scared of them anyway because of all the stories.

If people are scared of wolves because they sometimes kill people they should really be scared of their fellow human race..... Who kills their own many, many times per day.
"Its not one of those things you can fix like you fix your bow tie.
.......... Dont give me those big wet eyes, Raggedy Man."

http://tinyurl.com/thefourclans

Masika
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month

Post by Masika » Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:44 am

I love wolves due to various things, I do find their behaviour and social interactions fasinating; plus I do like how they resemble a dog, since they are in the canid family. Regarding to how they look, they are quite beautiful creatures, especially their eyes since I find them to look quite mysterious, which is something I like.

And just to refer to their social behaviour, I do enjoy how they work as a team, for example; when they are hunting and they have such good cooperation.

I also like them because of their history, wolves are very interesting when you are studying them around their traits and general history. Plus, the way others interpret them is something which interests me about them as well; wheather its in a good or a bad way.
« A PRIVATE LIFE IS A HAPPY LIFE.»
•••
Icon (c) coyoteflu

Alpha Female
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Alpha Female » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:10 am

I love wolves because of their tightly-knit social groups (packs). It's interesting to me. I also love them because, when you look at a domestic dog (huskies and malamutes especially) you know they have a wild ancestor. For many of us, wolves are interesting and come in many different species.
They also interest me since, in movies and fables, they are known as the 'bad guys'. Wolves are considered mysterious and frightening, which just makes me want to learn a bit more about them. ^ ^
SOMETIMES
A KING
HAS TO REMIND
FOOLS WHY HE'S
K I N G

~WolfQuest member since 1969~