Why Wolves

Discuss wolves. (News, sightings, conservation, status, etc.)

Moderators: Isela, Koa

wolf_sa
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Re: Why Wolves

Post by wolf_sa » Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:56 am

I've always loved wolves, since I was a really little kid...
I guess what really got me into them was the movie "Balto"... I also really love their packs / family groups, as Alpha Female said.
"Oh, Miss Believer, my pretty sleeper
Your twisted mind is like snow on the road
Your shaking shoulders prove that it's colder
Inside your head than the winter of dead..."

Phasoli
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf
Name: EMK

Post by Phasoli » Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:43 am

Why wolves?

Because they're beautiful creatures that are knit together in close family units--beyond their ferocity and their supposed monstrous behavior. They are wonderful animals who are essential to keeping the ecosystem balanced. They are masters of cooperation, coming together easily within one's own pack and initiating bonds that last for life. Their language is so complex, yet so simple. Their howls can be both beautiful karaokes and a loving rallying chorus. Their ferocity may be dreaded, but their companionship is always appreciated.

Why wolves? Because they hold a special place in my heart. I long to be apart of them sometimes...
||,.°`°.,,.°`°.,||ЖЖЖ||,.°`°.,,.°`°.,||
Writing is a job, a talent,
but it's also the place to go inside your head.
It's the imaginary friend you drink tea
with in the afternoon.
||,.°`°.,||Ж||,.°`°.,||
sig/quote © Kamaal/Ann Patchett

alethe
Name: [REDACTED]

Post by alethe » Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:08 pm

for me:
I couldn't come up with a decent answer because wolves aren't that cool to me anymore.
Why I was so obsessed in the first place is still beyond me.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ⋯⋯⋯_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
ARE YOU A JEDI ?

av/sig : fidd/lupe

Jeames
Name: Jeames, Jea

Post by Jeames » Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:36 am

I've never really known for sure, I started to love them after I found out about WolfQuest and played the game.
To me they're like dogs, my favorite tamed animals, but only their wild version. I guess that's it? Because they're the wild versions of our dogs in a way? I'm weird, I know.
DeviantArt Artstation Instagram Weasyl Newgrounds
Discord (Jeames#7775)

av ↝ noir_187

Kamaal
Name: Kam

Post by Kamaal » Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:39 am

Well to be honest, I started loving wolves from the age of 3, I have no idea why. I always found them majestic and mysterious. Their fighting spirit and piercing orbs. Maybe I found something in common with them. I never gave up in my life and never will, maybe that was it.
I ran out of snarky remarks, unfortunately.

duskypack
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: “Dusk”

Post by duskypack » Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:40 pm

I don't think of wolves as magical, benevolent creatures who are perfect and fluffy and better then anything else like some do, but I do admire and respect them as the animals that they are.

I love wolves for their wildness, for their ferocity and sometimes even brutal nature, but also for their beauty and comradeship. Wolves are creatures that work together and care for each other, and I admire that. Wolves fascinate me because every time you think you know wolves they continue to surprise you. In wolves you learn about all creatures, the world around you and even other humans. I hope to someday be able to help humans and wolves coexist peacefully, keeping wolves away from humans and humans from wolves, and in that way I could also learn to help the millions of other creatures like or unlike wolves. I guess I just am fascinated with wolves and how they fit into the rest of the world. And, really, I love all types of wolves and canids in general, not just grey wolves.
¯~_°. .°_~¯
Night is now falling, so ends this day.
The road is now calling, and I must away.
Over hill and under tree, through lands where never light has shone.
By silver streams that run down to the sea.
¯~_°. .°_~¯

Lyrics - The Last Goodbye by Billy Boyd
Av/Sig - Koa/Raven

Dorken
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Dorken » Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:20 pm

As an animal, wolves are just... okay. They're not any more intriguing to me then any other canine. They're also vastly overrated and adored probably because of the romanticizing of attributes they posses (almost all of which are exaggerated, btw - sure, wolves do depend on their pack, but it's not a sort of lovey dovey humanesque relationship, it's all instinct and necessity, which is why wolves are not known for their benevolence or altruism) and how they remind people of dogs. They don't necessarily bore me, and I understand why they're so popular (I guess??) but they're really not the greatest animals that ever lived. They're not even all that physically unique or especially intelligent compared to other social creatures like chimps and hyenas.

I like all canines, so of course I like wolves to some extent, but they're really not my favorite. Not like they used to be, anyway.
deviantArt | Wolf Comic Reviews | WolfQuest Blog
The Beaver Theory
Lost River will never be the same.

SiragussWolf
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by SiragussWolf » Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:22 am

I guess because I feel really identified with them, and I think they are great, intelligent and, in a way ... friendly? I do not know if it's the word I'm looking for :P

alethe
Name: [REDACTED]

Post by alethe » Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:09 pm

SiragussWolf wrote:I guess because I feel really identified with them, and I think they are great, intelligent and, in a way ... friendly? I do not know if it's the word I'm looking for :P
how is a wild predator friendly?

ARE YOU A JEDI ?

av/sig : fidd/lupe

ArisenFlames
Name: Ari, Flames, Flame

Post by ArisenFlames » Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:40 pm

My first love was dragons, then it went to wolves, catalysed by my love of dogs. I had seen a few documentaries on wolves beforehand and I felt like I empathised with them. Wolves are often in stories tagged as the "bad" one, "evil" one. "The Big Bad Wolf", "The Boy Who Cried Wolf", all put wolves in a bad light when in reality they are shy creatures that do not actively hunt humans at all. I felt I was misunderstood in my family and therefore, had a connection with wolves. This was when I was around 12-years old.

Arva
Pup
Pup

Post by Arva » Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:21 pm

I always loved wolves a lot. But when my aunt got in love with a wolf lover, it started really. I also have a teacher known for being caring for wolves. My aunt's husband and my teacher became friends, and we three often travel to a wolf pack in Eastern Germany.

Claes Rosen - Starlight (my favourite song)

You're Starlight
Name
Starlight, you glow bright
And I take y'as a tasty night
Name
Starlight, you are my name!

-FireBreaker-
Name: Fire

Post by -FireBreaker- » Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:02 pm

I started to like wolves when i were two-three years,i think. I always found them interesting. When i were nine, i really started to like wolves. I still like them a lot actually.
·.·´¯`·.· ·.·´¯`·.·´·.·´¯`·.· ·.·´¯`·.·´
Wh¥ §hðµlÐ ï åþðlðgïzê £ðr hê mðñ§êr ï'vê ßê¢ðmê
ñð ðñê êvêr åþðlðgïzêÐ £ðr måkïñg mê hï§ wå¥
`.¸¸.´´¯`` .¸¸.´`.¸¸.´´¯`` .¸¸.´
:: av/sig © Lupin/Samber ::

roguemoon
Yearling
Yearling

Post by roguemoon » Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:11 pm

As a kid I had a friend who was a really talented artist and drew beautiful wolves and that inspired me to both become an artist and made me more interested in wolves. I started to research them a lot and eventually discovered WQ. WQ was definitely a major factor in my love for wolves, through WQ I was able to learn about wolves and I just became fascinated with them and the fascination never went away. I aspire to someday work with captive wolves and do conservation work for and research wild ones, so I guess I have WQ to thank for that :D

I think they're just interesting creatures. They're definitely misunderstood and it's great people are working to change the general perception of the species, and it's amazing they were saved from the brink of extinction in so many areas (the Mexican Gray Wolf program is honestly just amazing). There's still a lot to learn about wolves since they're so elusive. I think their social structures and behaviour is really interesting and it's neat to see how human-like they can be. And tbh it doesn't hurt that they're such gorgeous creatures, I love watching the ones at my local zoo. Though I do agree with what duskypack and Dorken said earlier, people definitely over-romanticize and exaggerate wolves.
"No matter where they are, the restless imagine being somewhere else."

Azuline
Pup
Pup
Name: Toby

Post by Azuline » Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:51 pm

They've just always been very beautiful and inspiring creatures to me. They're very social and community based and it is one of the more interesting animal family dynamics that I have seen.
"Blessed are the children of the Horned One."
:moose:

-S.J. Tucker

Shiranuiii
Name: Shiranui

Post by Shiranuiii » Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:03 pm

• For me, my love of wolves was pretty non-existent when I was younger, of course I loved them because they were canines, but it was only until I found WolfQuest that my love for wolves began to develop honestly, this game kick-started my interest in them and I've never looked back.
𝟣𝟥/𝟣𝟢/𝟢𝟪 | 𝟣𝟧 𝗒𝖾𝖺𝗋𝗌 𝗈𝖿 𝖶𝗈𝗅𝖿𝗊𝗎𝖾𝗌𝗍
𝖣𝖾𝖼𝖾𝗆𝖻𝖾𝗋 𝟤𝟢𝟣𝟩 | 𝖴𝖮𝖳𝖬
𝖠𝗏𝖺𝗍𝖺𝗋 | Lupe