Discuss wolves (news, sightings, etc.).

Moderators: Isela, Koa

wolf_of_the_twili
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

How do you howl?

Post by wolf_of_the_twili » Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:23 pm

how do you howl?
Last edited by wolf_of_the_twili on Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

wolf_of_the_twili
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Re: How do you howl?

Post by wolf_of_the_twili » Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:30 pm

if anyone knows a way that sounds cool .even if the question has been answered please do not lock this forum because there may be other ways.

Nor-easter Forecast

Post by Nor-easter Forecast » Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:51 pm

This is the wrong forum and please don't double post.
Anyway, there is no "Just like a wolf". Each wolf has a different howl; entirely unique to an entire forest of wolves and once you have heard one wolf howl you can pick them out from many others. If you have ever heard a coyote howl, if not a wolf or wolf howl sound recording, try to copy that. I'd suggest tipping your head back and doing it loudly, they both help the sound more wolf-like. Once you've come into a howl something like the coyote or wolf you have heard then experiment; raise and lower the pitch of your voice, vibrate your throat more or less and change the shapes of your mouth until you get the sound you want. If you're copying from a coyote try deepening your howl to make it more like a wolf.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
ˢ ʳ ˢ
ˢ ʳʸʰ ˢ ʰ
ˣ ˢ ʰˢ,
ʰ ʳʸʰ
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

av/sig/quote © coyoteflu/LupinzPack/patty griffin

Purity

Post by Purity » Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:46 pm

I agree with Hoover about double posting and such, though I'd be happy to help.

Though all wolf howls are unique, I've found a simple way to do a rather low wolf howl. Cup your hands with a small slit between the pinkies, then put it around your nose and mouth. If you breathe through your mouth while doing this, you should sound like Darth Vader- a very low, loud breathing noise. Tilt your head back slightly to begin the howl, then look almost straight up, then back down. Kind of like you're nodding your head very slowly.

Tips to howling- wolves actually say a sort of 'Aroo!' when they howl; therefore you should start with an 'Arrr' sound. Then raise your pitch and make a small 'o' when you look up; lower it as you look back down again.

That may sound strange (trust me- it is!), but I've found it a very good way to do a realistic wolf howl. Places with echoes often make it sound better, as well. I hope this helps! :wink:

And again- as Hoover stated, there is no "Just like a wolf." There are many ways to try to imitate a wolf's howl, but there is no "right way."

SolitaryHowl
Skilled Hunter
Skilled Hunter

Post by SolitaryHowl » Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:45 pm

Hoover wrote:This is the wrong forum and please don't double post.
Please don't back seat moderate.
Purity wrote:I agree with Hoover about double posting and such,

"
You too. Please don't back seat moderate.

Now, all moderating business aside...

If you search on google for 'how to howl like a wolf' (or just visit this link for the results; http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&safe= ... 5&aq=f&oq=)

There are tons of links on there and helpful tutorials. Even video tutorials on youtube.
Former WolfQuest Moderator. 2009 - 2011

wolf_of_the_twili
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by wolf_of_the_twili » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:19 pm

im sorry i hate it when i seem noobish.(oh the noobish empire HASNT OWND ME YET.)if this isnt the right topic what is?howling is a wolf trait and this is the wolf q n' a so were would it be.ans im not aloud on youtube so no links there please.

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:29 pm

wolf_of_the_twili wrote:im sorry i hate it when i seem noobish.(oh the noobish empire HASNT OWND ME YET.)if this isnt the right topic what is?howling is a wolf trait and this is the wolf q n' a so were would it be.ans im not aloud on youtube so no links there please.
as Solitary posted-
You may be able to find videos from YouTube on google but they may not direct you to the YouTube site, and instead be playable on the google search results.

Probably be in Tips, Hints, and Help if I'm correct. I think Solitary moved it here? (as you said it was in Wolf Q&A before I posted)
YOU SAY YOU WANT TO GET BETTER AND YOU DON'T KNOW HOW.

wolf_of_the_twili
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by wolf_of_the_twili » Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:04 pm

ah ok. thank you

SolitaryHowl
Skilled Hunter
Skilled Hunter

Post by SolitaryHowl » Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:20 pm

I did not move it. Must have been another moderator.
Former WolfQuest Moderator. 2009 - 2011

Griffinsong
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by Griffinsong » Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:58 pm

Adding to what many other people have said, it helps if you have a natural ability to mimic animal sounds.

Try to study as many clips of wolves howling as you can.

A good place to find wolf howl recordings would be here: http://www.findsounds.com/
Try searching 'wolf howl' and listen to the clips.

Hawkfur
Pup
Pup

Post by Hawkfur » Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:44 am

I can howl pretty good exept is always really high, I've tried to lower the pitch but it goes right back up. Does anyone have any tips for lowering my howl?
Read the sentance below

Don't read the sentance above

Griffinsong
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by Griffinsong » Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:20 pm

Hawkfur wrote:I can howl pretty good exept is always really high, I've tried to lower the pitch but it goes right back up. Does anyone have any tips for lowering my howl?
Try imagining the howl coming from deeper in your throat, as opposed to up in your mouth and lips. A sound more based off of 'auuuuu' instead of 'awoooo' also deepens it.

Hawkfur
Pup
Pup

Post by Hawkfur » Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:36 pm

Cool thanks, your tip really helped. Now I can howl lower! YAY!
Read the sentance below

Don't read the sentance above

pawnee
Former WQ Moderator

Post by pawnee » Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:17 pm

Please try and make your posts contributing...like something other than a one liner for instance....I appreciate help but leave the moderating to the pros....lol

anyways...Their are diffrent types of howls that sound llike diffrent things. You can't be scared to look like an idiot trying them.

The typical wolf howl you hear in movies is a low, deep, rising and falling softly sound without too much distinction. Generally most movies play the same clip over and over.

This one is easy to pratice, as you just slowly rise the note higher until it drops offs.... Some people cup their hands around their mouth but I find deeper voices don't have to do this. I would best describe this as the typical arrrrrrrooooooo noise.

Another howl is a group rally, where each wolf takes a diffrent note. The pack is usually excited at this time so it kind of sounds like some wolves are...what I would describe...laughing.

Anyways some Links

Chorus Howls from wolf park
http://www.wolfpark.org/wolfsounds.html

Wolf Howls
http://www.everythingwolf.com/wolftalk.aspx

some clips from the International wolf centre also display communication noises and they usually have text in what type of behaviour the wolf is displaying
My Wolf Art http://pawnee.deviantart.com/
Its Not the Size of the dog in the fight, Its the size of the fight in the dog-Mark Twain

WolvesHorses
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by WolvesHorses » Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:00 pm

Purity wrote:
Though all wolf howls are unique, I've found a simple way to do a rather low wolf howl. Cup your hands with a small slit between the pinkies, then put it around your nose and mouth. If you breathe through your mouth while doing this, you should sound like Darth Vader- a very low, loud breathing noise. Tilt your head back slightly to begin the howl, then look almost straight up, then back down. Kind of like you're nodding your head very slowly.

Tips to howling- wolves actually say a sort of 'Aroo!' when they howl; therefore you should start with an 'Arrr' sound. Then raise your pitch and make a small 'o' when you look up; lower it as you look back down again. Places with echoes often make it sound better, as well. I hope this helps! :wink:
Omigawsh!! I actually tried this outside and it set the coyotes howling!!!!!!!!!!! Awesome!!!!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
I'm more active now, as the WQ forums used to be amazingly slow for me.

Return to “General Wolf Discussion”