False advertising of wolfdogs

Discuss wolves. (News, sightings, conservation, status, etc.)

Moderators: Isela, Koa

Inoushi
Pup
Pup

False advertising of wolfdogs

Post by Inoushi » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:34 pm

Normally I wouldn't do this, but this site was just too much for me. I have never in my life seen such a blatant fraud. Breeders like these are the reasons we have so much trouble with Wolfdogs. Here is a man selling pure dogs and advertising them as pure wolves. Look at what he calls wolves:
http://wolfhavenspiritofthepast.webs.co ... gstats.htm
An unsuspecting individual (who in my opinion should not own a wolfdog if they fell for this) would obtain one of these animals, brag about it, and then someone would really get a real wolfdog thinking they can handle it.
If you look further into the site the man will make the most outrageous claims about wolves:
http://wolfhavenspiritofthepast.webs.co ... idbits.htm
http://wolfhavenspiritofthepast.webs.co ... gcycle.htm
http://wolfhavenspiritofthepast.webs.com/protection.htm
http://wolfhavenspiritofthepast.webs.co ... kenzie.htm
These are just some of the more outrageous claims, but the entire site is littered with them. This site is not only a mockery to wolfdogs but the years of dedicated research done by wolf biologists, it really goes to show you just how low someone will go to make a quick buck.
Eyes glowing red I plunge through the darkness.
Fur so black that it swallows light.
Son of a mother of the wood. Son of a father of the sky.
Product of an unholy union.
Tonight I shall live. Tonight I will howl.

Canidae
Former WQ Moderator

Re: False advertising of wolfdogs

Post by Canidae » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:40 pm

Wow.

Somebody should go through and pick out all of the false little facts that are sprinkled throughout there. Didn't that person do any sort of research at all...? He claims some wolves can reach 300 pounds...?
Like animal photography? Check out my Deviantart account:
http://familycanidae.deviantart.com/

Kivia

Post by Kivia » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:32 pm

The Mckenzie Valley Artic wolves that they supposedly have don't even look like wolves; just dogs to me. And then they state that they can get to 300 lbs.

Oh this is sad... saying that they are 98% wolf....

Griffinsong
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by Griffinsong » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:24 pm

Is that dude half-blind, or does he just think most people are? Those dogs are all GSDs or huskies.

I have been working with wolves my entire life and believe with that experience I have found there are no full wolves that are solid black. To get solid black or white you would have to mix dog with the wolf.
In the wild wolves may not get as big because they often do not live long enough to reach their full growth and size. A dog is almost fully grown in 6 months that is one reason why the life span is different. When a wolf is 6 months old they are not nearly done growing.
From. One. Page. FAIL.

He should at least check his facts before trying to pass dogs off as wolves.

Username567
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Username567 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:05 pm

Dogs are canines and wolves are felines
Everyone should know this is false on multiple levels. The proof:

http://www.whozoo.org/mammals/Carnivore ... logeny.htm

Kivia

Post by Kivia » Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:12 pm

I just read that too; a wolf is part of the Canidae family, not Felidae. I'm so close to writing how incorrect they are on their Guestbook....

Griffinsong
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by Griffinsong » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:18 pm

Kivia wrote:I just read that too; a wolf is part of the Canidae family, not Felidae. I'm so close to writing how incorrect they are on their Guestbook....
I very well might write something snarky on there. xD Perhaps along the lines of at least checking Wikipedia before trying to lie to people.

Kivia

Post by Kivia » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:21 pm

Griffinsong wrote:
Kivia wrote:I just read that too; a wolf is part of the Canidae family, not Felidae. I'm so close to writing how incorrect they are on their Guestbook....
I very well might write something snarky on there. xD Perhaps along the lines of at least checking Wikipedia before trying to lie to people.
Indeed; Wikipedia is more truthful than they are. I can't believe people have fallen for these fake facts and these "wolves".

Griffinsong
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by Griffinsong » Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:39 pm

Kivia wrote:
Griffinsong wrote:
Indeed; Wikipedia is more truthful than they are. I can't believe people have fallen for these fake facts and these "wolves".
That's what really ticks me off: that people would be so blind.

Maned_Wolf
Pup
Pup

Post by Maned_Wolf » Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:59 am

I've heard this was a pretty common thing,to sell Husky/GSD mixes as wolves. The other thing is for breeders to completely make up wolf subspecies and sell their dogs as that.

It's kinda a good thing..sure people are getting ripped off and not getting what they paid for(not a good thing),but if they fall for this then maybe they shouldn't have a wolfdog in the first place :?
Hark! hear the howl that eats the moon alive!

Kivia

Post by Kivia » Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:25 am

I sent them a email telling them that they should use more accurate sources for their information. I will be anxiously waiting for a reply.

Griffinsong
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by Griffinsong » Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:40 pm

I could rant about this all day.... has it occurred to this person that if he advertises kindly dogs as wolfdogs, more people will think that wolfdogs are easy to handle? -.-

Kivia

Post by Kivia » Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:45 pm

Same here... I gave them a link to the IWC's website and told them to try and use information from a source that have ACTUAL wolves in their care. I just couldn't stand all of the lies and misinformation littering the site.

And wolfdogs certainly aren't the same as dogs; they could have very different, undesirable traits. I agree with you there.

Lyore
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Lyore » Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:14 pm

Ug, this is disgusting. There's maybe ONE dog on there that could pass as a wolf, maybe. The rest of them are obviously Shepherd/Husky mixes. Wolves and lions have the same genes huh? Really? haha.

Oh god... "
* They are not overly hyper. Usually they lie around, rest and socialize. They do enjoy going out and playing with you, but are just as happy to lay around and watch TV with you. Because they "cat-nap", they don't completely sleep.
* Easily trainable, very protective, very quiet, very clean, and NO BODY ODORS!
* They make good pets for even truck drivers! We have sold a lot to truckers and have never had any complaints. In fact, some truckers call us just to tell us how great they are in the truck and how smart and what fast learners they are!
Are...are you serious? Can any of you imagine a dog that's even just part shepherd or husky content to "just lay around and watch TV with you?"

It's like a train wreck. It's horrible...but I can't stop reading it...

HappygirlXD
Yearling
Yearling

Post by HappygirlXD » Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:09 am

That freak...Ohhhh, I could...rant about that all day. That...