4%
both
27%

Total votes: 239

Songdog
Former WQ Moderator

Re: Why blue eyes?

Post by Songdog » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:56 pm

Kivia wrote:I'll admit that I kinda like the blue eyes; it's pretty obvious though because I like blue in general x3

About white wolves with blue eyes, that is horribly overused indeed. At least I try to mix up the pelt color a little with gray and brown when I use to roleplay with a blue-eyed wolf (actually, my character is always a wolfdog hybrid to better explain the blue eyes^^).

But really, I like both colors. Anything besides blue or yellow just seems wrong to me, like red eyes.
Anything besides yellow seems wrong to me. Wolves don't have blue eyes naturally as adults.

I think blue eyes are seen as this idealized or "perfect" color. If an animal has blue eyes it must be good/symbolic/pure/innocent/majestic/etc. Bother that nonsense.

Kivia

Post by Kivia » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:07 pm

Yes, blue is still unnatural, but that doesn't mean I like the natural amber/yellow color; it's the only color that actually exists.

Ha, I would love to see a wolf with blue eyes that was evil. Even better, make it white.

-Outcast-
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by -Outcast- » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:55 pm

I agree with Songdog, it IS pretty annoying :roll:

And for Kivia, blue is actually quite a natural eye color for a wolf-dog :wink: especially if its a mix of a husky
I am afraid to say I have quit Wolfquest.
You can find me on the Wolf_home forums and chat as Infelicity.

Kyla6
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Kyla6 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:24 pm

I adore yellow eyes on a wolf! It's very natural-looking and goes nicely with any fur. ^^
Sounds like I'm advertising a makeup brand, eh?
..What.

I do support the Alliance!

pawnee
Former WQ Moderator

Post by pawnee » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:10 pm

Wolves can have yellow, brown, green or grey coloured eyes.

regardless of eye colour, the gaze of a wolf is intense in my opinion. They don't even have to be looking 'scary', they can just stop you in your tracks with a side glance.
My Wolf Art http://pawnee.deviantart.com/
Its Not the Size of the dog in the fight, Its the size of the fight in the dog-Mark Twain

Canidae
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Canidae » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:31 pm

pawnee wrote:Wolves can have yellow, brown, green or grey coloured eyes.

regardless of eye colour, the gaze of a wolf is intense in my opinion. They don't even have to be looking 'scary', they can just stop you in your tracks with a side glance.

This is true. :) It's happened to me.

Also, green? It might be because I'm a tad colorblind, but I don't recall seeing green very often. I'm interested now. :D
Like animal photography? Check out my Deviantart account:
http://familycanidae.deviantart.com/

Cowgirl101
Yearling
Yearling
Location: At my farm with my new horse and at my farm somewhere.

Post by Cowgirl101 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:25 pm

Rip-Tide666 wrote:Well, you see, I see A LOT of people on WolfQuest who are obsessed with wolves with blue eyes, even though any wolf who isn't blind, nor a puppy, it's impossible. Why is it that everyone LOVES wolves with blue eyes? (even though like I said earlier, its impossible) I don't see anything amazing about blue eyes on a wolf. But what I do find amazing, are the beautiful, natural Yellow-Gold eyes of a wolf. I think it gives them a look of wildness, and power. It shows that they are a true, Full-blooded wolf, but blue just shows that they are part dog. So why? Why blue eyes?

Discuss what you think, but please don't fight :wink:

mods, I have a feeling that this is going to be locked, or I might have put it it the wrong section. Lets hope not!
I would have to disagree sorry. Its a fact that most "snow" wolves have blue-ish eyes. I friend told me the story of Buck once. I fulled blooded dog, he ended living with wolves true story. But wolves can have blue eye, its rare soemtimes but yes. Most wolves have yellow green or brown. Blue is a possible.
A true Cowgirl by heart=Me
Redneck VS HillyBillies

Kivia

Post by Kivia » Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:42 pm

Cowgirl101 wrote:I would have to disagree sorry. Its a fact that most "snow" wolves have blue-ish eyes. I friend told me the story of Buck once. I fulled blooded dog, he ended living with wolves true story. But wolves can have blue eye, its rare soemtimes but yes. Most wolves have yellow green or brown. Blue is a possible.
Actually no, wolves can not have blue eyes unless they have a dog ancestor.^^

Cowgirl101
Yearling
Yearling

Post by Cowgirl101 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:02 pm

Does anyone have a scientist fact why not? :?
Yes snow wolves do, I am not being mean sorry if some thinks I am.
Saying what I think.
Redneck VS HillyBillies

-Outcast-
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by -Outcast- » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:53 pm

Cowgirl101 wrote:
Rip-Tide666 wrote:Well, you see, I see A LOT of people on WolfQuest who are obsessed with wolves with blue eyes, even though any wolf who isn't blind, nor a puppy, it's impossible. Why is it that everyone LOVES wolves with blue eyes? (even though like I said earlier, its impossible) I don't see anything amazing about blue eyes on a wolf. But what I do find amazing, are the beautiful, natural Yellow-Gold eyes of a wolf. I think it gives them a look of wildness, and power. It shows that they are a true, Full-blooded wolf, but blue just shows that they are part dog. So why? Why blue eyes?

Discuss what you think, but please don't fight :wink:

mods, I have a feeling that this is going to be locked, or I might have put it it the wrong section. Lets hope not!
I would have to disagree sorry. Its a fact that most "snow" wolves have blue-ish eyes. I friend told me the story of Buck once. I fulled blooded dog, he ended living with wolves true story. But wolves can have blue eye, its rare soemtimes but yes. Most wolves have yellow green or brown. Blue is a possible.
thats not true. ive watched shows and read books on wolves. They always say No matter what, A full-blood wolf can NOT have blue eyes its basically impossible. Most people just think that because they want it to be true deep down inside

Hashire
Pup
Pup

Post by Hashire » Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:59 pm

Im more of a yellow eye person
A great civilization cannot be conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within

AshWolf Forever
Yearling
Yearling

Post by AshWolf Forever » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:28 pm

Me, I usually don't like blue-eyed wolves. I think Jane Lindskold's "Blind Seer" might be partly responsible. But I did had one wolf in my story keep his puppy blue eyes for while, to show he hadn't really grown up yet. In the intrest of facts though:
"THE WOLF ALMANAC" by Robert H. Busch, Published year: 2007:

pg. 83:
Pups eyes "gradually change to a yellow-gold by eight to sixteen weeks, though sometimes their eyes can change color much later. Occasionally, a mature wolf will be found with (pg.84) blue eyes. (One male wolf at Wolf Haven, near Tenino, Washington, recently reached the age of fifteen years without his eyes ever changing from a light blue color.)"
Still, there is nothing like the shiny gold of the true wolf's eyes. Beautiful.

AshWolf Forever
"The Windwater Pack" thread is dead. Any info on further installments/developments will be on my website, which has a link on my profile.

That said, gonna try and be more active, if I can figure out how to get back in the swing of things.
Avatar by StanHoneyThief on deviantART

pawnee
Former WQ Moderator

Post by pawnee » Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:59 pm

The story of The Call of the Wild is Fiction.

The few cases I've heard of wolves having a somewhat blue pigment in the iris is when they don't grow out of their puppy colours....soemtimes it takes longer for their eye colour to change for whatever reason.

But it is agreed upon by most researchers that animals with blue...like stunning bright blue found in a husky, is a hybrid.

If you can find a photo of a blue eyed wolf, I would love to see it. I'm not saying your wrong cowgirl, but I just find it unlikely that wolves have blue eyes.
My Wolf Art http://pawnee.deviantart.com/
Its Not the Size of the dog in the fight, Its the size of the fight in the dog-Mark Twain

-Outcast-
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by -Outcast- » Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:58 pm

pawnee wrote:The story of The Call of the Wild is Fiction.

The few cases I've heard of wolves having a somewhat blue pigment in the iris is when they don't grow out of their puppy colours....soemtimes it takes longer for their eye colour to change for whatever reason.

But it is agreed upon by most researchers that animals with blue...like stunning bright blue found in a husky, is a hybrid.

If you can find a photo of a blue eyed wolf, I would love to see it. I'm not saying your wrong cowgirl, but I just find it unlikely that wolves have blue eyes.
even if you did find a blue-eyed-wolf picture, its very likely that it would be photoshopped.....its amazing what people can do with a photo these days...

Cowgirl101
Yearling
Yearling

Post by Cowgirl101 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:14 pm

pawnee wrote:The story of The Call of the Wild is Fiction.

False.
I am not starting a fight by the way.
You just say its not true, to make me believe I need to see a fact not its not true.
Artice wolves mostly have blue-ish eyes. Its true because I see them in the wild, study very hard.
Redneck VS HillyBillies

Return to “General Wolf Discussion”