Why blue eyes?

Discuss wolves (news, sightings, etc.).

Moderators: Isela, Koa

Post Reply

Blue eyes, or yellow eyes?

Blue wolf eyes
70
29%
yellow wolf eyes
96
40%
none
9
4%
both
64
27%
 
Total votes: 239

User avatar
wq47 HawkTail
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf
Posts: 667
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:55 pm
Gender: Other
Location: Halloween Town.<3
Contact:

Re: Why blue eyes?

Post by wq47 HawkTail » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:04 pm

THANK YOU! I was looking for that exact quote! What a coincidence :) Anyway, a pure, adult wolf does not have blue eyes unless they are blind. Even then, they are not as husky-blue as many people think. My neighbor has a wolf hybrid (he is three fifths wolf, one fifth husky, one fifth german sheperd) and he has very unique eyes. One eye is yellow, and the other is blue and brown swirled. He looks a lot like a pure wolf. Obviously, you can tell he is a dog though. He plays real nice with my Chocolate Lab. Bottom line, he did not get his blue eyes from the wolf or german sheperd, but from the HUSKY. Huskies have blue eyes, and look like wolves from a distance. Also, many "blue eyed wolf" pictures on the internet have been photo shopped. I hope this clarifies a bit more for you all.
I have migrated to the account A Needlepoint Dreary for no reason c:. Follow me there and on dA;

http://www.macabre-x-macbeth.deviantart.com

Cowgirl101
Yearling
Yearling
Posts: 355
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:15 pm
Gender: Female
Location: At my farm with my new horse and at my farm somewhere.

Re: Why blue eyes?

Post by Cowgirl101 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:46 pm

Kivia wrote:
Cowgirl101 wrote:Yes true that wolves could have blue eyes.

It does not have to be half dog.
Cause that wolf pups have them so.
It's true that some pups may retain their blue eyes longer than they should, but it is natural for their eyes to eventually change to a shade of yellow.^^
You said it right there.
sometimes its can last.
whjy would someone photo shopped already pretty?
A true Cowgirl by heart=Me
Redneck VS HillyBillies

User avatar
Kivia
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 5618
Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:10 pm
Gender: Female
Location: Northern California
Contact:

Re: Why blue eyes?

Post by Kivia » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:03 pm

Cowgirl101 wrote:
Kivia wrote:
Cowgirl101 wrote:Yes true that wolves could have blue eyes.

It does not have to be half dog.
Cause that wolf pups have them so.
It's true that some pups may retain their blue eyes longer than they should, but it is natural for their eyes to eventually change to a shade of yellow.^^
You said it right there.
sometimes its can last.
whjy would someone photo shopped already pretty?
Perhaps I used the wrong words; it's near impossible for them to retain their color into adulthood, or any age after that. Eventually, they turn into a shade of yellow. I still believe though that wolves cannot have blue eyes. Unless I have proof of a full blooded wolf and I see it with my own eyes in real life, then maybe I will think otherwise.

User avatar
pawnee
Former WQ Moderator
Posts: 2483
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:05 pm
Location: the far north
Contact:

Re: Why blue eyes?

Post by pawnee » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:56 am

All baby mammals have blue eyes when their born...I'm not a geneticist but for whatever reason eyes change colour during youth. There is no proven record that a wild wolf has ever had blue eyes though some captive examples are probably not the best...because you would have to track the linage of the animal and for captive animals its not always available.

I'm not saying they don't exist but I just find it highly unlikely.

People use photoshop so they can get money for pictures or cause a stirr...like that jumping shark picture. One half was of a picture of a great white from south africa, the other was a military helicopter from california....it made it look like a shark was jumping at the helicopter but it was fake.
My Wolf Art http://pawnee.deviantart.com/
Its Not the Size of the dog in the fight, Its the size of the fight in the dog-Mark Twain

User avatar
MTDL
Pup
Pup
Posts: 49
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:15 am
Gender: Female
Location: I'm sorry. The location you are trying to see has been temporally deleted. Please try again later.
Contact:

Re: Why blue eyes?

Post by MTDL » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:33 pm

Personally, I love blue eyes, but they are more fitting for a husky. To me a wolf with blue eyes would be amazing but it just wouldn't be right. Wolfs are more natural with their yellow/brown/golden eyes. And for the subject of all mammals being born with blue eyes is very true. I was born with blue eyes and now they're a greenish blue and sometimes gray with some yellow in them, and they get complemented a lot. Which reminds me of when I write stories about wolf shape shifters, they normally start out with blue eyes and then they fade out to the yellow color.
Amacki - Caretaker in the Ambrosia Pack/Bramble Creek Pack<3
Licorice - Wrangler in the Drifting Scope Pack<3
"I guess it's too bad, that everything we have, is taken away." -Story of the Year

Cowgirl101
Yearling
Yearling
Posts: 355
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:15 pm
Gender: Female
Location: At my farm with my new horse and at my farm somewhere.

Re: Why blue eyes?

Post by Cowgirl101 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:58 pm

pawnee wrote:All baby mammals have blue eyes when their born...I'm not a geneticist but for whatever reason eyes change colour during youth. There is no proven record that a wild wolf has ever had blue eyes though some captive examples are probably not the best...because you would have to track the linage of the animal and for captive animals its not always available.

I'm not saying they don't exist but I just find it highly unlikely.

People use photoshop so they can get money for pictures or cause a stirr...like that jumping shark picture. One half was of a picture of a great white from south africa, the other was a military helicopter from california....it made it look like a shark was jumping at the helicopter but it was fake.
Wrong.
Not all mammals.
Deer, bears ect. Are not born have blue eyes.
If pups can have a blue eyes then it might a wolf can. Maybe cause the lighting or sometimes make it look green or something.
A true Cowgirl by heart=Me
Redneck VS HillyBillies

User avatar
Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator
Posts: 12998
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:53 pm
Gender: Female
Location: washington, d.c.
Contact:

Re: Why blue eyes?

Post by Koa » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:36 pm

Cowgirl101 wrote:
pawnee wrote:All baby mammals have blue eyes when their born...I'm not a geneticist but for whatever reason eyes change colour during youth. There is no proven record that a wild wolf has ever had blue eyes though some captive examples are probably not the best...because you would have to track the linage of the animal and for captive animals its not always available.

I'm not saying they don't exist but I just find it highly unlikely.

People use photoshop so they can get money for pictures or cause a stirr...like that jumping shark picture. One half was of a picture of a great white from south africa, the other was a military helicopter from california....it made it look like a shark was jumping at the helicopter but it was fake.
Wrong.
Not all mammals.
Deer, bears ect. Are not born have blue eyes.
If pups can have a blue eyes then it might a wolf can. Maybe cause the lighting or sometimes make it look green or something.
Black bears (not sure about the others) are born with blue eyes, which later change to brown.
Cubs are born with blue eyes which change to brown during their first year
http://www.americanbear.org/senses.htm

..anyway, I prefer the yellow over the blue. The yellow is so much simplier, and the blue just doesn't look right on the wolf.
YOU SAY YOU WANT TO GET BETTER AND YOU DON'T KNOW HOW.

Cowgirl101
Yearling
Yearling
Posts: 355
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:15 pm
Gender: Female
Location: At my farm with my new horse and at my farm somewhere.

Re: Why blue eyes?

Post by Cowgirl101 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:40 pm

I believe grizzly too!
Blue not blue...
If anyone does not why, why supoort it?
A true Cowgirl by heart=Me
Redneck VS HillyBillies

User avatar
Kivia
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 5618
Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:10 pm
Gender: Female
Location: Northern California
Contact:

Re: Why blue eyes?

Post by Kivia » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:39 pm

Cowgirl101 wrote:I believe grizzly too!
Blue not blue...
If anyone does not why, why supoort it?
I don't know why their eyes change colors, but it's a scientific fact that they do, so that is why I support it.^^

-Outcast-
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training
Posts: 236
Joined: Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:30 am
Gender: Female
Location: On the Wolfhome forums~

Re: Why blue eyes?

Post by -Outcast- » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:39 pm

Cowgirl101 wrote:I believe grizzly too!
Blue not blue...
If anyone does not why, why supoort it?
Because cowgirl, this topic is about whether you like blue eyes or not.

I still believe that there is no possible way a full grown, full blooded wolf can have blue eyes. Scientists and wolf studiers have proven it. Thats why in this educational game, WolfQuest, you cannot have blue eyes.

And like Kivia said- a scientific fact.
I am afraid to say I have quit Wolfquest.
You can find me on the Wolf_home forums and chat as Infelicity.

User avatar
wq47 HawkTail
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf
Posts: 667
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:55 pm
Gender: Other
Location: Halloween Town.<3
Contact:

Re: Why blue eyes?

Post by wq47 HawkTail » Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:01 pm

Cowgirl101 wrote:I believe grizzly too!
Blue not blue...
If anyone does not why, why supoort it?
What do you mean blue not blue? They are the exact same thing. Anyway, there have been topics like this before, and adult wolves can NOT have blue eyes. Mission accomplished.
I have migrated to the account A Needlepoint Dreary for no reason c:. Follow me there and on dA;

http://www.macabre-x-macbeth.deviantart.com

User avatar
pawnee
Former WQ Moderator
Posts: 2483
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:05 pm
Location: the far north
Contact:

Re: Why blue eyes?

Post by pawnee » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:55 pm

Most people do not see baby bear cubs...they are born when the mother is still in hibernation and are extremely small. If you watch some zoo programs on tv you can see how tiny baby bears are...the ones you see rolling around in films would have their eye colour changed already.

I guess I should define 'baby' animal....for most mammals, the default eye colour is blue. There is actually a deer fetus in a jar at school...makes me wonder if its eyes were blue or not...but I can't check now because the pigment and colour iis destroyed thanks to the chemical preservatives.

Also, I'm not arguing that blue eyes don't exist...I just find it highly unlikely.

I believe the question is whether you like blue eyes on wolves...maybe pale grey or something but bright blue eyes on a wolf seem kind of...I guess weird too me.
My Wolf Art http://pawnee.deviantart.com/
Its Not the Size of the dog in the fight, Its the size of the fight in the dog-Mark Twain

User avatar
Kivia
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 5618
Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:10 pm
Gender: Female
Location: Northern California
Contact:

Re: Why blue eyes?

Post by Kivia » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:00 am

I'm not too big on a wolf with husky blue eyes, but since I like the color blue, I kinda like the idea of a wolf having blue eyes, though I know it may not be possible. Maybe like a blue-ish tint; that's cool to me. But I will always like the yellow shades^^

SonyWolf
Guest
Guest

Re: Why blue eyes?

Post by SonyWolf » Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:17 am

I would like certain color of wolves with blue eyes; mostly white and gray. It looks very nice with blue eyes in

my opinion, but with yellow eyes as well. And since wolves have amber/yellow eyes, it's very nice. Also, blue

eyes don't work well with blue yes in my opinion, as they (wolves) are not entirely black. But they work well

with yellow/amber eyes.

User avatar
pawnee
Former WQ Moderator
Posts: 2483
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:05 pm
Location: the far north
Contact:

Re: Why blue eyes?

Post by pawnee » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:50 am

most 'blue' eyed wolves have grey eyes...which can look close to a pale or off blue colour but its usually the lighting that makes it appear bright.

I'm guessing wolves could also have 'hazel' eyes...as hazel is a brown or green tint colour?
My Wolf Art http://pawnee.deviantart.com/
Its Not the Size of the dog in the fight, Its the size of the fight in the dog-Mark Twain

Post Reply

Return to “General Wolf Discussion”