Page 1 of 23

Why blue eyes?

Posted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:22 pm
by -Outcast-
Well, you see, I see A LOT of people on WolfQuest who are obsessed with wolves with blue eyes, even though any wolf who isn't blind, nor a puppy, it's impossible. Why is it that everyone LOVES wolves with blue eyes? (even though like I said earlier, its impossible) I don't see anything amazing about blue eyes on a wolf. But what I do find amazing, are the beautiful, natural Yellow-Gold eyes of a wolf. I think it gives them a look of wildness, and power. It shows that they are a true, Full-blooded wolf, but blue just shows that they are part dog. So why? Why blue eyes?

Discuss what you think, but please don't fight :wink:

mods, I have a feeling that this is going to be locked, or I might have put it it the wrong section. Lets hope not!

Re: Why blue eyes?

Posted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:26 pm
by Wolfie10
Hmm.. I just think alot of people like the color blue and they spotted it on wolf pup pictures and presumed it applied to all wolves therefore there wolf would look 'great' with blue eyes...
I agree with you, I love there natural yellow-gold eye color :D

Re: Why blue eyes?

Posted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:33 pm
by -Outcast-
yeah. and even when a wolf is blind, it's not the kind of blue most people think of, it's a milky white color with usually a slight bluish-gray hue mixed in

I think your right, when someone sees a blue-eyed wolf pup, they might think "hey, it's probably gonna grow up with blue eyes to" then they might imagine how 'beautiful' it will look.

Re: Why blue eyes?

Posted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:51 pm
by SolitaryHowl
Wolves with ice-blue eyes scare me.

I think it's the same reason why people like blue eyes in people...it's more beautiful that way? Personally, I prefer the plain yellow eyes in wolves and green eyes in people...

Re: Why blue eyes?

Posted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:14 pm
by -Outcast-
SolitaryHowl wrote:Wolves with ice-blue eyes scare me.

I think it's the same reason why people like blue eyes in people...it's more beautiful that way? Personally, I prefer the plain yellow eyes in wolves and green eyes in people...
I agree, I think that the plain yellow eyes of a wolf are relaxing, rather that the sharp "freaky" (I guess you could say) eyes of a so-called "blue eyed" wolf.

Re: Why blue eyes?

Posted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:16 pm
by pawnee
I think people believe that grey eyed wolves have blue eyes because they can appear blue. Also blue or grey eyes make it seem like the pupil is smaller...where brown eyes make the pupil look bigger. Many characters in film/animation are given a lighter shade of eye colour to make them appear more stern/serious/ bla bla where people associate big eyes with being friendly. Wolves, being deemed 'mysterious' and whatnot by many people are probably romantized more by having pale eyes to make them look 'spooky' or whatnot. Thats my theory anyway....if you look at dogs in films the wild or bold animals seem to have a pale shade of eye colour as opposed to the good or friendly dogs. eg balto vs steel, demon and nana in snow dogs, etc.

Re: Why blue eyes?

Posted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:30 pm
by -Outcast-
pawnee wrote:I think people believe that grey eyed wolves have blue eyes because they can appear blue. Also blue or grey eyes make it seem like the pupil is smaller...where brown eyes make the pupil look bigger. Many characters in film/animation are given a lighter shade of eye colour to make them appear more stern/serious/ bla bla where people associate big eyes with being friendly. Wolves, being deemed 'mysterious' and whatnot by many people are probably romantized more by having pale eyes to make them look 'spooky' or whatnot. Thats my theory anyway....if you look at dogs in films the wild or bold animals seem to have a pale shade of eye colour as opposed to the good or friendly dogs. eg balto vs steel, demon and nana in snow dogs, etc.
I guess your right, but in my opinion, people use it both ways:

the most commonly seen wolves with "blue eyes" are black, and white wolves.(at least, the most commonly seen to me)
most people think of black wolves as "dark" and "mysterious" and they think that blue eyes will make them look even cooler.
On the other hand, you see "friendly" and "happy" white wolves with big blue eyes that will make them look cuter.

Re: Why blue eyes?

Posted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:46 pm
by little snow wolf
i like blue eyes but icy light blue scare me a bit. i like the dark blue on white wolves. (even though wolves would never have dark blue eyes. imn real life.)
yeah there are a lot of people who like blue eyes i dont think i have been in a rp with a peson who had yellow eyes most had icy blue eyes or brown. even green. and one time purple.

Re: Why blue eyes?

Posted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:30 am
by -Outcast-
little snow wolf wrote:i like blue eyes but icy light blue scare me a bit. i like the dark blue on white wolves. (even though wolves would never have dark blue eyes. imn real life.)
yeah there are a lot of people who like blue eyes i dont think i have been in a rp with a peson who had yellow eyes most had icy blue eyes or brown. even green. and one time purple.
thats what I see a lot in rp as well. I have really like you said, never seen anyone rp with yellow eyes :|

Re: Why blue eyes?

Posted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:00 am
by pawnee
well role play is using a made up characater in your own fictional story setting.

Maybe its the contrast people find alluring? I think its more role play or fiction based than based on science.

Re: Why blue eyes?

Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:04 am
by -Outcast-
pawnee wrote:well role play is using a made up characater in your own fictional story setting.

Maybe its the contrast people find alluring? I think its more role play or fiction based than based on science.
I agree with the contrast bit. ive seen many pictures of wolves with blue eyes, and they are usually staring at the screen with big, freaky-looking eyes that are really bright....I guess it just appeals to people.

Re: Why blue eyes?

Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:02 pm
by Snowmuzzle
In several (sometimes badly thought-out, if not drawn) comics, there's a fashion for red-eyed wolves with black fur, who are meant to be evil, and glowy-sparkly white wolves with blue eyes whose characters can often be summed up as "nice, good, loyal'. I suppose blue is a cold colour, as is white, so the two are married together. I remember having a white fur blue eyes wolf and thinking "Wow, this is really cool and original!". Only to discover that it was anything but that XD

Re: Why blue eyes?

Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:07 pm
by Unstable
I've noticed this too.
In all the roleplays I've been in, almost none of the wolves have a natural eye color.
Always red, blue, or green. Or purple. >.<

I like the yellow of natural white wolves. Very calming and inviting.
Blue-eyed wolves seen cold and distant to me most of the time.

I think it's mostly people trying to make their wolf look different, and the contrast does look nice.
However, since most people have blue-eyed wolves, it's not that fun anymore.
It's more fun to have natural-eyed wolves, since they're so unique in roleplays. xD

Re: Why blue eyes?

Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:24 pm
by Songdog
It's a cliche.

Blue eyed white wolves.
Red eyed black wolves.

It's annoying, in my opinion. It's not unique, it's unoriginal. It's an excuse for lack of better characterization.

Re: Why blue eyes?

Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:45 pm
by Kivia
I'll admit that I kinda like the blue eyes; it's pretty obvious though because I like blue in general x3

About white wolves with blue eyes, that is horribly overused indeed. At least I try to mix up the pelt color a little with gray and brown when I use to roleplay with a blue-eyed wolf (actually, my character is always a wolfdog hybrid to better explain the blue eyes^^).

But really, I like both colors. Anything besides blue or yellow just seems wrong to me, like red eyes.