Finnish wolf torturer gets freed of charges

Discuss wolves (news, sightings, etc.).

Moderators: Isela, Koa

Blightwolf
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

Finnish wolf torturer gets freed of charges

Post by Blightwolf » Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:50 am

Negative news from my very own country. I translated the original article to English.
FINNISH WOLF TORTURER GETS FREED OF CHARGES
May 23, 2010

The Inari wolf poaching trial shows that the Finnish judicial system is unable to eradicate cases of savage wildlife abuse.

Ivalo district court was on Tuesday and Wednesday in the processing of a case in which five people were charged of chasing a wolf in the Kessi desert in Inari and torturing the animal to death by driving a snowmobile over the wolf's body several times. Only one person involved in poaching was found guilty and received small fines and a short-parole prison sentence. Four other people were released from the accusations.

"This incident shows that a law title for crude and criminal hunting is required. Current convictions are mostly a joke and do not seem to prevent poaching," says Nature League Wolf Group Chairman, Sami Lyytinen.

Poaching is a great threat to Finland's small wolf population. Poaching in Finland does not only involve wolves, but also other natural animals. Poaching cases of recurrence and the number of people involved suggest that poaching in Finland is organized crime.

"What's grotesque in the Inari wolf killing case is that wolf poaching is disgusting animal abuse but also causes unnecessary and prolonged pain for animals," says Nature League Organization Manager, Sami Säynevirta.
Source: http://luontoliitto.fi/susiryhma/2010huhti23.htm
(The article is in Finnish)

I am appalled. The Finnish Wolf Group is actively trying to prevent poaching on wolves but because wolves primarily feed upon livestock in Finland, illegal killings happening every day are inevitable, and quite frankly, the Finnish government has shown great disinterest toward this matter.
Last edited by Blightwolf on Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
AUGUST 2009 USER OF THE MONTH

Alpha Female
Former WQ Moderator
Name: Kali

Re: Finnish wolf torturer gets freed of charges

Post by Alpha Female » Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:50 pm

Yes, that is very appalling. I'm just amazed people can be so cruel. It's a shame that the wolf had to go through that.
Thanks for sharing.
SOMETIMES
A KING
HAS TO REMIND
FOOLS WHY HE'S
K I N G

~WolfQuest member since 1969~

Wolf Runner1
Yearling
Yearling
Location: Currently? Probably either: Pluto, or Saturn. Feel free to check both places.

Post by Wolf Runner1 » Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:57 pm

Wow, this is sad... I hope the wolves make it over in Finland... There seems to be a lot of people who want to kill wolves with their snowmobiles I've noticed.
Profile pic via the lovely NatureGirl

Canidae
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Canidae » Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:26 pm

Ack...gotta remember not to lose control of myself here. ^^" Cause I feel like yelling after reading that.

It's a huge shame that those involved in the torturing of that wolf weren't prosecuted more heavily, let me just say that.
Like animal photography? Check out my Deviantart account:
http://familycanidae.deviantart.com/

Distant Star
Yearling
Yearling

Post by Distant Star » Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:40 pm

Wow, that poor wolf. :( It's a shame those people weren't punished more severely (as Canidae said). Hopefully there'll be no further incidents like that, and that if there was, the situation will be dealt with in a stronger way.
Due to personal family matters, I will be completely inactive for the next...well, the next while. If you want to contact me, please use the forms of contact below:

Jessica.Rose_13@yahoo.com
Stripedy-Sox.deviantART.com

Icon © Windripper!

Refracted Violation
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Location: Somewhere between here and there, between there and nowhere.

Post by Refracted Violation » Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:43 am

Oh my gosh, that poor wolf!
I'm sure that person should have been punished Much more than he was. :(
The truth is, I lied.

Blightwolf
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

Post by Blightwolf » Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:34 am

This is very upsetting. I am not an anti-government person or anything like that, but I do believe that all these illegal slaughterings of wolves is partially caused by the government's inactivity to do something to keep our wolf populations better protected. Finland's wolves were also recently delisted despite our critically low population.

I am very much afraid that wolves in Finland will become extinct. We are entirely dependent on wolves which cross the borders from Russia. And it would hardly be the last time wolves went extinct in Finland - our entire population died out in the 19th Century due to active wolf hunting.

This is a huge problem in most Nordic countries. We fail to protect our predatory animals.

Maia Huntress
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

Post by Maia Huntress » Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:09 pm

That is so appalling and sad. How could anyone ever want to do something like that?! :x That poor wolf...those people should definitely have been punished more harshly.

Blightwolf
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

Post by Blightwolf » Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:37 am

I know - it's very hard to believe that only one of them got small fines and a short-parole prison sentence. The person committed critical animal abuse. Even if the person have had a license for hunting the wolf, the way the killing was executed was absolutely appalling and inhumane. I strongly think that the person should have deserved to serve actual prison time for a few months and his hunting license (if he had one - which I doubt, because they were prosecuted of poaching) would have been permanently banned.

Gargantor
Top Elk Hunter

Post by Gargantor » Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:16 am

Omg... This never happened in my country and im glad.
For one thing: the wolves vanished from my country long ago but they came back a few years ago, from north. Now there is a stable population. No one would torture them, because our law protects animals seriously. There are still abusings but they get caught. My country did not always protect animals from abuse, but after we joined the European Union the laws changed slightly.
сøυɾαģε, αвøṿε αll τhïṉģṡ, ïṡ τhε ƒïɾṡτ συαlïτÿ øƒ α ώαɾɾïøɾ.

paperpaws
Former WQ Moderator

Post by paperpaws » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:10 am

Canidae wrote:Ack...gotta remember not to lose control of myself here. ^^" Cause I feel like yelling after reading that.

It's a huge shame that those involved in the torturing of that wolf weren't prosecuted more heavily, let me just say that.
Gah, I'll yell with you. People like this make me really frustrated and misanthropic, and it doesn't make a lot of sense they are punished so lightly. The way they killed the wolf is shocking as well. Poor thing.

Blightwolf
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

Post by Blightwolf » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:22 am

Unfortunately, the shocking misdeed directed toward the poor wolf has already been committed, and the situation has also been handled. I wish that in the future my country pays more attention to these kind of abusive wildlife violations and would also do something to protect our wolves and other animals in a more effective way.

xX---Sweetfire---Xx
Pup
Pup

Post by xX---Sweetfire---Xx » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:51 am

That is very sad! We should run over them with a snowmobile a couple of times...*grrr*
''If you are a dog and your owner suggests that you wear a sweater. . . suggest that he wear a tail." - Fran Lebowitz|

Blightwolf
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

Post by Blightwolf » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:08 pm

The general attitude towards wolves in Scandinavia hasn't improved much in the past 100 years or so. People are still very negative about wolves and other predators, partially due to old beliefs and lack of proper education about large predatory animals. Wolves in Finland are also frequent killers of livestock because ungulates are not as common in the east and north than they are in the western and southern regions; majority of Finnish wolves are in the north or the east - places where reindeer and other type of cattle is being maintained. Livestock keepers are on edge because they suffer from great financial losses each time wolves attack their stock... it's a really sad situation on both sides.

But, honestly, driving over a wolf repeatedly with a snowmobile just for the fun of it? It's sickening. And immoral. You really have to think that if a person is capable of killing an animal in such a brutal and disgusting way, they could just as well do similar things to other people. You really got have a very twisted idea of entertainment if you purposely hunt for wolves in the middle of nowhere just to torture the animal to death by using a motor vehicle.

SolitaryHowl
Skilled Hunter
Skilled Hunter

Post by SolitaryHowl » Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:33 pm

This topics, in the past, have been used for 'anti-human' discussions. Which aren't allowed on the forums. (Not directed at you or your topic, Blight, just a general reminder as I've seen some anti-human talk on this thread already.)

In regards to the actual topic, though...

I'm speechless. That's cruel, and I can't believe the government let him free with no charges. Perhaps they were paid off? Or maybe the government is corrupt in that aspect?
Former WolfQuest Moderator. 2009 - 2011

Return to “General Wolf Discussion”