If you had a wolf, what would you name it?

Discuss wolves. (News, sightings, conservation, status, etc.)

Moderators: Isela, Koa

Starforest
Adult Wolf
Adult Wolf

If you had a wolf, what would you name it?

Post by Starforest » Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:16 pm

If you had a wolf, what would you name it? Personally, if I had a wolf, I would name it Falcon if it were any color but white, doesn't matter which gender, and Snowflake if it were white and a female. (If it were white and a male, I would name it Ice.)

Bye, all!!!!

If this has to be locked, or moved, it is fine with me.
Hello, everyone! :3 I'm baaaack!

Silentthecat
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Re: If you had a wolf, what would you name it?

Post by Silentthecat » Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:18 pm

if i had a grey wolf i would name it sierra i love that name :)

Starforest
Adult Wolf
Adult Wolf

Post by Starforest » Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:19 pm

Cool. Good name. I like it. My sister has a picture called Sierra. :wink:
Hello, everyone! :3 I'm baaaack!

Faolane
Adult Wolf
Adult Wolf

Post by Faolane » Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:40 pm

If I had a male wolf of any color but white brown or orange I would name him Lobo or maybe Emras, if he was brown or orange I would name him Rontu, If he was white Snowstorm. For a female wolf of any color but orange it would be either Kama, Tempest, or Hurricane. Anyways, those are names that I love and I made up two of them (Emras and Kama) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
~๔๏ภt ๓คкє ค ฬгเtєг ๓ค๔. รђє ฬเll קยt ץ๏ย เภ ђєг ๒๏๏к คภ๔ кเll ץ๏ย~

RAWR

Juno Alaska
Pup
Pup

Post by Juno Alaska » Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:42 pm

well, it really depends on its coat and personality. a blue green, grey and white belly wolf thats a young adult and is playful, i would probably call Juno XD like my wolf lol, (im so creative you think? hahaha :roll: )
on the other hand, a pure white adult, whose wise and acts as a pack leader, i would like to call, hmmm, maybe, Silver
and a brown wolf young adult, whose very smart and rythmatic, i would name, Melody.
...................be everything you wanted
..........................be who you are
................but don't be for someone else
.........................be for your sake
....everything you love and care for is a part of you
.........................part of your life
........................part of your being
......................it all depends on you

..............................stay true

.................................Juno
............................Lead Hunter
.........................of SilentSunset
.........................avatar by April
.....................Best Buddy: Bluerain
.....................:I support Moderaters:.

Crocotto
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Crocotto » Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:47 pm

I personally would never consider having a wolf because they make horrible pets, and I'd say a good 90% of people who own pure breed wolves; and effectively take care of them; are not your average people.
~Convenience is no excuse to hide truth~

Blight-Wolf for Moderator!
# Team Anti-Wolfaboo

Blightwolf
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

Post by Blightwolf » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:54 am

Crocotto wrote:I personally would never consider having a wolf because they make horrible pets, and I'd say a good 90% of people who own pure breed wolves; and effectively take care of them; are not your average people.
When intensively socialized and thoroughly trained, wolves do not make "horrible" pets - but even habituated, "tame" wolves are not 100% safe and reliable pets. And personally, I hesitate calling a wolf as a "pet" simply because they are not pets. Their caretaking involves serious risks which every potential wolf owner should definitely consider, including social testing and predation. Owning a wolf requires exceptional dedication, financial resources, years of training and experience in working and handling wolves and knowledge about wolf physiology and sociology.

If I owned a wolf, I would not name it. Wolves do not react well to vocal commands - they respond to hand signals and body language. You can train a wolf to recognize and react when it hears its name, but in order to achieve this, the trainer/owner/handler should work with the wolf in a very solemn contact and constantly repeat the wanted name - even in this case, it's not always obvious or assumed that the wolf would allow or adopt a name for itself. Animals don't understand speech, they understand the tone of voice. They monitor their handler's motions and expressions, not their vocal commandments - wolves do not "talk" to each other in the wild, either, communication happens mostly through their body language.

I'd probably give a wolf a "nickname" which I would use to refer to the wolf when talking about it to other humans, for example, but I would not call the wolf by its "name" in its presence. I would teach and train the wolf to come over without a vocal command, and therefore, naming the wolf would be unnecessary.
AUGUST 2009 USER OF THE MONTH

jinxlink
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by jinxlink » Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:12 am

I'll name it Mud.
Live for today, we'll dream tomorrow
We've got big plans in sight
Everything is going our way
Everything is just as we planned
This is our future for what we've heard,
and I still got your hand.

__
Old Loserhere23 of 08/ New JinxLink of 10

Alpha Female
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Alpha Female » Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:19 am

I wouldn't really consider owning a wolf as a pet, since they shouldn't be pets. If I did ever own a wolf as a pet, I would probably name it a native, creative name, like Nica, Kali, or Reba.
SOMETIMES
A KING
HAS TO REMIND
FOOLS WHY HE'S
K I N G

~WolfQuest member since 1969~

Lurina
Pup
Pup

Post by Lurina » Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:29 am

If I had a pet wolf, I would her Jinia and the guy wolf, Talon<3
こんちわ... >)

supercalifragilisticexpealadocious~ ;D

Proud beta of Tranquill Darkness.

Join the pack~ http://tranquildarknesspack.weebly.com or http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=38803

baltosangel
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Location: Sitting on a hill amongst tall grass staring at the stars and dreaming.

Post by baltosangel » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:06 pm

I love the name Kiba for a wolf. It means Fang in some language. Or Blizzard.
My favorite movie is Balto!

AlbinoWolf6
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by AlbinoWolf6 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:26 pm

Well, i would not have a wolf for a pet but if I adopted a wild one and was able to name it I would go with the either the name Thelia or Tano
¸.*¨*`.¸ ωσℓƒQυєѕт cσммυnιту мємвєя ¸.*¨*`.¸
..¸.*¨*`.¸ υn∂ιnє ƒαℓℓѕ ραcк мємвєя ¸.*¨*`.¸
...¸.*¨*`.¸ Avvie by TheGreatAbyss!! Thanks! ¸.*¨*`.¸

Faolane
Adult Wolf
Adult Wolf

Post by Faolane » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:44 pm

I do not think that Starforest was actually talking as if she was ever going to get a wolf! It was a purely theoretical question. She just wanted to know what people thought made interesting wolf names. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
~๔๏ภt ๓คкє ค ฬгเtєг ๓ค๔. รђє ฬเll קยt ץ๏ย เภ ђєг ๒๏๏к คภ๔ кเll ץ๏ย~

RAWR

SolitaryHowl
Skilled Hunter
Skilled Hunter

Post by SolitaryHowl » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:56 pm

Blightwolf wrote:
Crocotto wrote:I personally would never consider having a wolf because they make horrible pets, and I'd say a good 90% of people who own pure breed wolves; and effectively take care of them; are not your average people.
When intensively socialized and thoroughly trained, wolves do not make "horrible" pets - but even habituated, "tame" wolves are not 100% safe and reliable pets. And personally, I hesitate calling a wolf as a "pet" simply because they are not pets. Their caretaking involves serious risks which every potential wolf owner should definitely consider, including social testing and predation. Owning a wolf requires exceptional dedication, financial resources, years of training and experience in working and handling wolves and knowledge about wolf physiology and sociology.

If I owned a wolf, I would not name it. Wolves do not react well to vocal commands - they respond to hand signals and body language. You can train a wolf to recognize and react when it hears its name, but in order to achieve this, the trainer/owner/handler should work with the wolf in a very solemn contact and constantly repeat the wanted name - even in this case, it's not always obvious or assumed that the wolf would allow or adopt a name for itself. Animals don't understand speech, they understand the tone of voice. They monitor their handler's motions and expressions, not their vocal commandments - wolves do not "talk" to each other in the wild, either, communication happens mostly through their body language.

I'd probably give a wolf a "nickname" which I would use to refer to the wolf when talking about it to other humans, for example, but I would not call the wolf by its "name" in its presence. I would teach and train the wolf to come over without a vocal command, and therefore, naming the wolf would be unnecessary.
I agree, Blight. I wouldn't own a wolf or a wolf-dog either, I'm not skilled or trained enough to. Besides, owning a wolf/wolf-dog is a lot more dangerous than owning a dog.
Former WolfQuest Moderator. 2009 - 2011

Crocotto
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Crocotto » Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:14 pm

Blightwolf wrote:

*applauds
Blight, you hit it right on the mark! =)

This may be a bit off topic but for me, if an animal is not a domestic species; it's not a pet. I think way too many people in this world make the mistake of thinking they can keep wild species as house pets. For me, pets are stuff like a dog, a cat, a parrot (depends on species), or a fish. NOT a tiger, NOT a 4+ meter long constrictor snake, and certainly NOT a wolf.
~Convenience is no excuse to hide truth~

Blight-Wolf for Moderator!
# Team Anti-Wolfaboo