If you had a wolf, what would you name it?

Discuss wolves (news, sightings, etc.).

Moderators: Isela, Koa

MagicMoon
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Re: If you had a wolf, what would you name it?

Post by MagicMoon » Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:14 pm

For me it depends, If it was an adult female the was pure white I would name her Angel.
If I had a male that was pitch black, I would name him Thunder, coal, Steel, Claw, or Ash. If it was a black female, I would name her Midnight, or Eclipse. Lol i cant choose! :lol: But the name i would adore the most for any kind of female wolf would be Katrisa, mostly if it was a pup. :) And I have not yet decided for a male name because i think they are all so cool! :wink:

Bigz23
Pup
Pup

Post by Bigz23 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:24 pm

For a male, I'd call him Might or Bigs, or Barbarian.
For a female, I'd call her Rosa.
Bigz23
Leader of the Screaming Eagles.

wolfoflegend
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by wolfoflegend » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:02 am

If i had a wolf i would either name him Legend, (after myself) Fang, Scar, Hawk. Something like that.
"I have been abandoned by death for it has cursed me to live."

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the present."

Blightwolf
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

Post by Blightwolf » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:30 am

I still don't understand why so many would want to name their "pet" wolves other than for personal entertainment? As I explained in my previous post (found on the first page), wolves do not necessarily react to their names at all simply because they do not share the same retractability and trainability as domestic dogs. Wolves are trained very differently from dogs - whereas dogs are commanded using voices and they respond to these vocal signals very well, wolves do not have an interest in a human's voice, but are far more intrigued by the usage of hand commandments and gestures expressed through body language and expressions - this is because wolves most often communicate with each other using different type of body postures and facial expressions.

In my opinion, there is really no coherent point in naming a wolf, because it's likely that it would never respond to the name it has been given by its human handlers/owners. In some cases, yes, captive wolves are so tolerant and comfortable with human presence and interaction (due to active and intense socialization and training) that they can be called over using their "name" and leashed by a handler, but to achieve this, the owner/handler should call the wolf by its name repeatedly and condition the wolf to perform things (in training situations) by saying its name and then awarding it with an edible price (wolves are extremely food-motivated and food is an effective tool in wolf training). Adjusting into training and socialization is hard enough for wolves without having to confound the wolf with having to respond and react to a name as well.

This is just my opinion, though. I am not telling anyone not to name their fictional "pet" wolves or real "pet" wolves in the future, but in my mind, it has absolutely no beneficial effect on the wolf's behavior, its habituation or training whatsoever.
AUGUST 2009 USER OF THE MONTH

Starforest
Adult Wolf
Adult Wolf

Post by Starforest » Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:24 pm

Well, sometimes people think of what they would do if they had this or that animal. Sometimes people like to pretend/RP that they have an endangered animal.

~Falcon~
Hello, everyone! :3 I'm baaaack!

soniahedgehog12345
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by soniahedgehog12345 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:12 am

:) I would name it Faolan because i read lone wolf and i love it so much but it had a crappy ending it needed more, anyways. i love wolves and i would take a wolf pup that is all by itself and raise it and it might be like Faolan because he or she isnt with there own kind, wolves. :D

Blightwolf
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

Post by Blightwolf » Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:18 pm

soniahedgehog12345 wrote::) I would name it Faolan because i read lone wolf and i love it so much but it had a pasta ending it needed more, anyways. i love wolves and i would take a wolf pup that is all by itself and raise it and it might be like Faolan because he or she isnt with there own kind, wolves. :D
The following content is off-topic, but... I feel like it's something I have to write.

SoniaHedgehog: I have not read this particular book your described ("Lone Wolf") but it has obviously given you some misconceptions about wolves. You cannot simply "take a wolf pup that is all by itself and raise it", because for one thing, wolf pups are not found wandering around aimlessly in the wild and secondly, wolf raising is extremely time-consuming and requires exceptional dedication, financial resources and high knowledge and training about wolves. The upbringing of pure-blooded wolves is not the same thing than owning and raising a domestic dog - wolves, even captive-born individuals, need intense socialization to humans, and continuous training. Wolves can be extremely dangerous pets, if they are not provided adequate living conditions and handled appropriately.
AUGUST 2009 USER OF THE MONTH

Wolfgrl1208
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Wolfgrl1208 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:49 pm

if i had a wolf what whould i name it???
AWESOME QUESTION!!!!
I would name my Wolf Cochiti!!! :D
......................Xx Luna xX...................
" Everyday is a gift, Live it as if it were your last.
.........................Luna.......................

SamsprideX
Pup
Pup

Post by SamsprideX » Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:42 pm

hmm i would name my wolf Lakota :D
noble yet elegant!
Proud Member of Las cuatro alianzas
Muggle :)
~Shade

SamsprideX
Pup
Pup

Post by SamsprideX » Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:00 pm

I don't believe in owning a wolf but, I think that Cochiti is a great name for both male and female! ;)
~Shade

Kiipcha
Pup
Pup

Post by Kiipcha » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:55 pm

If I had a wolf I would name it Taloo, I don't know why I like that name. I guess I just think it is fun to say.

Silverwolf111
Pup
Pup

Post by Silverwolf111 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:33 am

Well I would want a silver colored wolf. I would name it Silver.
I am ✽Silver✽,
The Alpha’s pup in the Starlight Pack,
I’m fast, the fastest in the pack,
Not one of the other pups or even the hunters can out run me!
Hehehe

Signature by: Willowstar510, the Alpha Female of the Starlight Pack

Willow510

My Wolf Name

Post by Willow510 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:35 am

Black,female:Eclipse
White,female:Wings
Black,male:Thunder
White,male:Pride

wolfanator300
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Location: In a snowy forest playing with the black wolf, Hadoken.

Post by wolfanator300 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:15 pm

If I had a wolf: A male black wolf would be Hadoken, a male red and/or gray wolf would be Kenshi, a male white wolf would be Farryn or Gryphon. A female white wolf would be Karrn, a female gray/red wolf would be Bach or Ada, another female white wolf would be Frost. I like Hadoken and Karrn the best, though. 8) :wink: :P
"Flattery looks like friendship, just like a wolf looks like a dog."

"A girl is a person who screams at the mouse, and smiles at the wolf."

"A gentleman is simply a patient wolf."

SamsprideX
Pup
Pup

Post by SamsprideX » Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:34 pm

man peoples... we just talking about what you would name it.... dont have to be all "Yeah I dont believe in that stuff." and dont be all touchy!
Last edited by SamsprideX on Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:40 pm, edited 5 times in total.
~Shade

Return to “General Wolf Discussion”