Cub vs. Pup

Discuss wolves (news, sightings, etc.).

Moderators: Isela, Koa

Post Reply
User avatar
Blightwolf
New Pack Member
New Pack Member
Posts: 3478
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:20 am

Cub vs. Pup

Post by Blightwolf » Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:44 am

Over the past few years there has been some minor disagreement amongst wolf lovers which one of these terms is the most appropriate to describe wolf offspring.

Both of these terms are zoologically accepted, but which one of them applies more to wolves - or canids in general?

My personal opinion is that "cub" is somewhat inappropriate and misguiding when referring to wolf offspring. I personally refer to wolf offspring as "pups" or "puppies" and I don't favor the usage of "cub", because I feel like it is more appropriate for felids, bears and hyenas, for example. I mean, we do not call dog offspring "cubs", either, do we? And dogs are the most well known canids to us humans. "Dog cub" would sound rather stupid, too, in my opinion. And dogs and wolves are technically speaking the same creature, after all, sharing an identical molecular level and genetic structure.

Some people agree that both of these terms can be accepted. Some people claim that "cub" is more appropriate than "pup", and some say that "pup" or "puppy" is a better term for wolves than "cub". What is your opinion?
AUGUST 2009 USER OF THE MONTH

Crocotto
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training
Posts: 229
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:27 pm
Gender: Male

Re: Cub vs. Pup

Post by Crocotto » Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:41 am

I say pup for several reasons
1. It's more widespread term in the animal kingdom (baby sharks, raccoons, rats, armadillo, bat, coyote, dog, seals are a few)
2. All of the wolves close relatives are called pups when their young (such as dogs, coyotes, and Jackals )

When I hear someone call a wolf a cub I think about that one site that's convinced wolves are felines -___-
~Convenience is no excuse to hide truth~

Blight-Wolf for Moderator!
# Team Anti-Wolfaboo

User avatar
Blightwolf
New Pack Member
New Pack Member
Posts: 3478
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:20 am

Re: Cub vs. Pup

Post by Blightwolf » Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:45 am

Crocotto wrote:When I hear someone call a wolf a cub I think about that one site that's convinced wolves are felines -___-
You must be referring to that idiotic "feline wolf breeder" facility, Wolf Haven Spirit of the Past: http://www.freewebs.com/wolfhavenspiritofthepast/

Their site is definitely a VERY negative example of the term "cub" used wrongly when associated with wolves. x__x
AUGUST 2009 USER OF THE MONTH

User avatar
Canidae
Former WQ Moderator
Posts: 1433
Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:08 pm
Gender: Male
Location: Las Cruces, New Mexico
Contact:

Re: Cub vs. Pup

Post by Canidae » Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:34 am

I think the correct term is "pup" as well. If I ever hear a person say the phrase "wolf cub," I'll usually try to correct them.
Like animal photography? Check out my Deviantart account:
http://familycanidae.deviantart.com/


Avatar by me.

Snowstar
Pup
Pup
Posts: 52
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:27 pm
Gender: Female
Location: My IMAGINAAAATION

Re: Cub vs. Pup

Post by Snowstar » Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:38 am

'Pup'. Definately 'pup'. I see no reason why the wolf should have a different name for its young than any of its relatives. In the book The Sight, the fact that the wolf young were called 'cubs' annoyed and confused me. 'Cub' implies feline, bear (ursine?), or hyena (???) relations, and as the wolf is known to be a canine by anyone who doesn't believe anything on that pathetic excuse for a website, 'pup' is far more appropriate.
.......(\_
('''''''{ "-;
)::::}};
((.....\\


"Ummm... Hello Mister Grizzly, how are you today?
"RRRRAAAAAAHHHHHHRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!"

User avatar
Blightwolf
New Pack Member
New Pack Member
Posts: 3478
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:20 am

Re: Cub vs. Pup

Post by Blightwolf » Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:43 am

Canidae wrote:I think the correct term is "pup" as well. If I ever hear a person say the phrase "wolf cub," I'll usually try to correct them.
I, as well, try to correct people if they use the term "cub".
Snowstar wrote:In the book The Sight, the fact that the wolf young were called 'cubs' annoyed and confused me.
I have read The Sight and I agree with you, it was highly aggravating that the word "cub" was used - although the author altered between the terms "pup" and "cub"; sometimes the offspring were referred to as "cubs" and sometimes as "pups" or "puppies".

Popular media has definitely made some people think that wolf offspring can be called "cubs". Well, of course they can be called by that term, but it's just quite misleading.
AUGUST 2009 USER OF THE MONTH

User avatar
Alpha Female
Former WQ Moderator
Posts: 6112
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 6:00 pm
Name: Kali
Gender: Female
Location: Living the dream
Contact:

Re: Cub vs. Pup

Post by Alpha Female » Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:49 am

The term "cub" is indeed misleading. I prefer the term "pup" since (as Crocotto pointed out) it is more widespread within the animal kingdom. I don't mind if people use the term "cub" but I would probably correct them.
I think of "cubs" more feline then canid, since the term "cub" is used for many large felines (tiger cubs, lion cubs, leopard cubs, ect).
SOMETIMES
A KING
HAS TO REMIND
FOOLS WHY HE'S
K I N G

Avatar (c) April
~WolfQuest member since 1969~

User avatar
Blightwolf
New Pack Member
New Pack Member
Posts: 3478
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:20 am

Re: Cub vs. Pup

Post by Blightwolf » Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:53 am

Alpha Female wrote:The term "cub" is indeed misleading. I prefer the term "pup" since (as Crocotto pointed out) it is more widespread within the animal kingdom. I don't mind if people use the term "cub" but I would probably correct them.
I think of "cubs" more feline then canid, since the term "cub" is used for many large felines (tiger cubs, lion cubs, leopard cubs, ect).
Again, I concur. I don't mind people calling wolf offspring "cubs", either, I don't think there's anything wrong with that, but I'd too would most likely correct them.

I also commonly associate the term "cub" to felids. "Wolf cub" doesn't feel right in my mouth. "Lion cub" feels much more appropriate. Similarly, I cannot say "coyote cub", or "jackal cub", or "dingo cub", because they all sound bizarre.

"Cub" works the best for felids, and of course, bears and hyenas.
AUGUST 2009 USER OF THE MONTH

User avatar
pawnee
Former WQ Moderator
Posts: 2483
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:05 pm
Location: the far north
Contact:

Re: Cub vs. Pup

Post by pawnee » Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:31 pm

The term wolf cub is an older term I think...you read it and hear it a lot in older films and books. More recent literature reffers to the offpsirng of wolves as 'pups'. Dogs and canines have puppies. I have never called a wolf pup a 'cub'.
My Wolf Art http://pawnee.deviantart.com/
Its Not the Size of the dog in the fight, Its the size of the fight in the dog-Mark Twain

wolfsarethebest
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training
Posts: 171
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:41 pm
Gender: Female
Location: Canada

Re: Cub vs. Pup

Post by wolfsarethebest » Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:01 pm

i think that pups is better for the term for newborn wolf. cub would be usally be used as a lion cub or bear cub
Nostalgia always brings me back to this site~ <3

User avatar
Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator
Posts: 12954
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:53 pm
Gender: Female
Contact:

Re: Cub vs. Pup

Post by Koa » Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:37 pm

Cub doesn't fit well for the overall/general 'presentation' of the wolf; the term "pup" suits our dogs and therefore should remain applied to wolves.
YOU SAY YOU WANT TO GET BETTER AND YOU DON'T KNOW HOW.

User avatar
Blightwolf
New Pack Member
New Pack Member
Posts: 3478
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:20 am

Re: Cub vs. Pup

Post by Blightwolf » Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:11 am

Koa wrote:Cub doesn't fit well for the overall/general 'presentation' of the wolf; the term "pup" suits our dogs and therefore should remain applied to wolves.
Exactly. Yet, a lot of (younger) people tend to use "cub" probably due to how the term has been used in popular media, most notably in wolf fantasy literature.

I have even seen National Geographic use the word "cub" in one of their wolf articles. x__x
AUGUST 2009 USER OF THE MONTH

User avatar
Canidae
Former WQ Moderator
Posts: 1433
Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:08 pm
Gender: Male
Location: Las Cruces, New Mexico
Contact:

Re: Cub vs. Pup

Post by Canidae » Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:25 am

Blightwolf wrote:I have even seen National Geographic use the word "cub" in one of their wolf articles. x__x
Ahh nooo not that. >.<

Another example of the word "cub" being used to describe a wolf pup: the entire "Cub Scout" organization.
Like animal photography? Check out my Deviantart account:
http://familycanidae.deviantart.com/


Avatar by me.

User avatar
Blightwolf
New Pack Member
New Pack Member
Posts: 3478
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:20 am

Re: Cub vs. Pup

Post by Blightwolf » Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:35 am

Canidae wrote:
Blightwolf wrote:I have even seen National Geographic use the word "cub" in one of their wolf articles. x__x
Ahh nooo not that. >.<
Yes, it is a sad and true fact. Allow me to demonstrate some evidence:
Maverick researcher Shaun Ellis raises abandoned wolf cubs and teaches them, by example, how to survive in the wild --

Source: http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/e ... olves-2926
Also, that article is related to Shaun Ellis. If I remember correctly, he also uses the word "cub" - I have read one of his books. But, then again, I disapprove of his methods and ways of spreading "information" about wolves, anyway.
AUGUST 2009 USER OF THE MONTH

User avatar
paperpaws
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator
Posts: 4425
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:44 pm
Contact:

Re: Cub vs. Pup

Post by paperpaws » Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:53 am

I say "pup", for the same reasons Crocotto has stated above.
wyrd bið ful aræd
* inactive until further notice due to time and hardware limitations

Post Reply

Return to “General Wolf Discussion”