Cub vs. Pup

Discuss wolves (news, sightings, etc.).

Moderators: Isela, Koa

Chelski09
Pup
Pup

Re: Cub vs. Pup

Post by Chelski09 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:01 pm

i use the word 'pup' to say wolf offspring. Some of my friends say cub but I've learned to ignore it. I know what she means. Its because i call dogs offspring puppies so.... yeah. haha, I've ran out of things to say. That doesnt happen often :roll:
'Minds are like parachutes; They work best when they're open'

wolflegend1
Yearling
Yearling
Location: Running Beside My Mate Cloudster In The Hunting Grounds And Trying To Hide My Movie Avatar

Post by wolflegend1 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:40 pm

Pup Sounds more appropiate for wolves.
i Mean it doesnt sound like your talking about a wolf, it sounds like your talking about lions mostly. Or bears,.
Kevin Flynn: The Grid. A digital frontier.

BIG TRON FAN ND AVATAR FAN^^

Visit my sig shop at:
http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=46430

This is still a sig in progress^^

ı¢øи © ʅυρıиȥρα¢κ

-x- Silvie -x-
Former WQ Moderator

Post by -x- Silvie -x- » Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:40 am

Blightwolf wrote:
My personal opinion is that "cub" is somewhat inappropriate and misguiding when referring to wolf offspring. I personally refer to wolf offspring as "pups" or "puppies" and I don't favor the usage of "cub", because I feel like it is more appropriate for felids, bears and hyenas, for example. I mean, we do not call dog offspring "cubs", either, do we? And dogs are the most well known canids to us humans. "Dog cub" would sound rather stupid, too, in my opinion. And dogs and wolves are technically speaking the same creature, after all, sharing an identical molecular level and genetic structure.
I agree completely. It sounds very inaccurate to be calling a canid's offspring the same as that of a feline or ursine. In my mind, only bears, lions, and such give birth to cubs, and canids such as coyotes, foxes, and of course, wolves, give birth to pups.
And yes. We have always called the offspring of the domestic dog "pups" or "puppies", correct? Wolves are said to be the ancestors of the domestic dog. Be that true or false, domestic dogs and wolves are both canids, not bears or lions or whatever like the term cub seems to portray them as. :roll:

Snowstar wrote:
Well, a majority doesn't neccessarily mean anything. Folks thought the world was flat, after all. A study was once conducted in the U.K. with teenagers, and about half the participants thought Sherlock Holmes was real .
Hopefully, we can try and spread the more correct verion 'pup' by correcting those who use it and using it ourselves. People have to stop believing everything they read in literature- now it's even rubbed off on NG!

Yep. Perhaps if we use what we view as correct, it will rub off on others as 'cub' has on many, and it will be universally accepted as correct, just as "alpha" has been stated as incorrect. ^^

Crocotto wrote:
All of the wolf's close relatives are called pups when they're young (such as dogs, coyotes, and jackals)

Other canids' offspring are indeed called pups. Why are wolves sometimes an exception? I believe "pup" is the correct term and therefore correct others when they use the term "cub". But what is frustrating is when the term is used in books, and you cannot correct the person, as in one time I had experienced this. In the book Chronicles of Ancient Darkness: Wolf Brother, (which was indeed a very good book) referred to the wolf protagonist as a "cub" all throughout the book, which annoyed me. In my head I changed it to "pup". But what was very annoying was that while the wolf pup was called a cub, the main enemy in the book was a bear! :roll:
It does indeed seem that wolves' offspring were called "cubs" in earlier times, but just because something is older does not mean it is correct, especially in the scientific world. And as for the book stated above, it was written in 2004! :x

_______________Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ S I L V I E Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ
___________-___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___
_______________--BladeTheWolf00's Sister
______________________-_~-*-~
__________________"Patience is a virtue,
_________________-_love is a value."
___________-___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___
_____________sig © me /\ av © Koa (Thanks!)
___________________-_previously BooboosPiggy

Gargantor
Top Elk Hunter

Post by Gargantor » Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:36 am

For me, 'pup' is the only correct name for the wolf offspring.
I refer felines' or bears offsprings as cubs.
Im not english, but it sounds correct this way. I always learned this on my english classes. (dog pup, wolf pup).
When i hear someone say 'wolf cub', i look at them like they dont know any english. (and most are english that says this).
I had once an argument (with an english guy that is) that wolf's offspring is called pup, not cub. They were deadly convinced its cub...
Mostly i see american english people say wolf cub. (well we all know, americans want to modernise their language), while british english people only use wolf pup. (they are traditional)
сøυɾαģε, αвøṿε αll τhïṉģṡ, ïṡ τhε ƒïɾṡτ συαlïτÿ øƒ α ώαɾɾïøɾ.

Zaltana
Pup
Pup

Post by Zaltana » Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:01 pm

To me it's like a potato potahto thing. Potahto is wrong, therefore cub must be wrong too. I say pup, because cub just sounds weird for describing a canid. Cub is way more appropriate for a tiger or a bear. All my friends say pup too, and we're american so let's not stereotype ;D
<Insert interesting signature here>

Icon made by me

Seewah
Yearling
Yearling

Post by Seewah » Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:57 pm

First of all, I'd like to ask why we're making such a big deal about this, because it really doesn't matter. I personally always say pup, but if someone says cub, I really don't mind. I can respect your opinions, but if both are correct now, it doesn't matter. True, it does sound stupid if someone is talking about a wolf cub.

I support hunting.

Insults do not make for a valid argument.
-Seewah

Aime
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training
Location: Laying on my bed with my laptop on my lap, posting on the WQ Forums.

Post by Aime » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:29 pm

Seewah wrote:First of all, I'd like to ask why we're making such a big deal about this.
"Making such a big deal about this"? It would be pretty boring if there was only 'important/serious' threads, imho. :roll: I'd really laugh if you said this about the rules as well.

Oh yeah, and I really prefer saying "pup" instead of "cub". Pup sounds much more like wolves or dogs and cub is for just for bears and what-not.
   Bunny
   ~~~~
We have doomed the Wolf not for what it is, but for what we have deliberately and mistakenly perceived it to be..the mythologized epitome of a savage, ruthless killer..which is, in reality no more than a reflexed images of ourself.
   ~~~~

Seewah
Yearling
Yearling

Post by Seewah » Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:24 pm

Aime wrote:
Seewah wrote:First of all, I'd like to ask why we're making such a big deal about this.
"Making such a big deal about this"? It would be pretty boring if there was only 'important/serious' threads, imho. :roll: I'd really laugh if you said this about the rules as well.

Oh yeah, and I really prefer saying "pup" instead of "cub". Pup sounds much more like wolves or dogs and cub is for just for bears and what-not.
I'm just saying my own opinion and I can respect yours. If there was a flood of goofy, stupid, and non-serious threads, people would just get bored of coming here. That's how I feel. Wouldn't you get bored if all you could find is things like "Can Wolves Have Purple Fur"? Of course it wouldn't be that bad, but you get the idea. :) I don't want to start an argument, so lets just agree to disagree. :mrgreen:

I support hunting.

Insults do not make for a valid argument.
-Seewah

wolfsarethebest
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by wolfsarethebest » Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:09 pm

pups definaly pups
Nostalgia always brings me back to this site~ <3

jaguartail
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

Post by jaguartail » Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:06 pm

I prefer pup. it's what is most often used, and wolf cub just sounds wrong.

[_Shadow_]
Pup
Pup
Location: Sitting in a pile of snow watching the stars and being bored.

Post by [_Shadow_] » Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:32 pm

I like pup better. When I hear cub I think of a bear or somthing.
You should check your cookie jar. :P
-----/\____-----------------____o____
----/-----{}-\_____------|_________|
---|---------------___\-------|cookies.|-------
---|----------______/-------|----------|
--/------------/----------------|______|
Avvie By: Me

wolflegend1
Yearling
Yearling
Location: Running Beside My Mate Cloudster In The Hunting Grounds And Trying To Hide My Movie Avatar

Post by wolflegend1 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:30 pm

Otay I Still Agree With Pup But Pup And Cub Mean The Same Thing. :|

<<Moon>>

Visit my sig shop at:

ı¢øи © ʅυρıиȥρα¢κ

Eternala
Yearling
Yearling

Post by Eternala » Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:18 pm

I say pup, as cub refers to bears and felids, as well as hyenas. Wolf cub sounds funny when I say it aloud. it doesn't sound right. Pup is much more appropriate.

jaguartail
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

Post by jaguartail » Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:20 pm

Pup and cub do mean the same thing, basically. But, just like you don't call a male deer baby a deer pup, It's not entirely correct, in my opinion, to call a baby wolf a wolf cub.

wolflegend1
Yearling
Yearling

Post by wolflegend1 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:28 pm

I NO Pup Sounds More Appropriate But Still They MEan The Same Thing So Why Does It Matter? :?:

<<Moon>>

Visit my sig shop at:

ı¢øи © ʅυρıиȥρα¢κ

Return to “General Wolf Discussion”