Mess with me?
I'll let karma do its job.
Mess with my family?
I become karma.

alethe
Name: [REDACTED]

Re: Wolf Chat

Post by alethe » Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:10 pm

Yes, it does. Alpha suggests that they have other ranks. They don't.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ⋯⋯⋯_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I eat danger for breakfast!
Actually, I don’t. I prefer cereal.

av/sig : lupe

TheImmortalWolf
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by TheImmortalWolf » Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:14 pm

yes they do
Beta is the second in command, the subordinate wolves are the hunters or gatherers and the omega is the lowest ranking wolf.
Mess with me?
Mess with my family?
I become karma.

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:17 pm

I think you misunderstand what the term "alpha" really implies. The term "alpha" implies a strict and rigid hierarchy/"ranks," which, as river6 pointed out, isn't accurate for your typical, wild wolf pack. "Beta" and "subordinates" imply the same kind of hierarchy, and "hunters" and "gatherers" are really a figment of the roleplaying world, and nothing else. Typical wolf packs consist of a breeding pair and their offspring, and occasionally, an unrelated animal. The breeding pair is the "parents," or the mom and dad, and their "offspring" are their children. There is no need for a strict hierarchy in wolf packs if the animals are all related because they function as a family unit and work together and typically have no need to compete for dominance. Whereas, if a pack is roughly composed of unrelated animals (i.e., in some captive packs) within an artificial setting, it is more likely for a need to arise to determine one status in the pack and a rigid hierarchy has the potential to be formed.
YOU SAY YOU WANT TO GET BETTER AND YOU DON'T KNOW HOW.

TheImmortalWolf
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by TheImmortalWolf » Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:20 pm

even if they don't the mom and dads can still be called alphas without it implying that
Mess with me?
Mess with my family?
I become karma.

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:24 pm

TheImmortalWolf wrote:even if they don't the mom and dads can still be called alphas without it implying that
The problem is alpha does imply everything I've stated before. A word means what it means. You're using a word that has preconceived notions about what it truly means. If you use it the way you want to, you are inviting misunderstanding because the word does not mean what you want it to.
YOU SAY YOU WANT TO GET BETTER AND YOU DON'T KNOW HOW.

HachirouForest
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by HachirouForest » Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:17 pm

So I will start on why I absolutely love wolves,

To me its just amazing how they have lived for so long when people hunt them all of the time. Their body structure and how they communicate is perfect. The way they stand up for each other is astonishing how they might give their life for their pack mates. Just over all wolves are amazing

alethe

Post by alethe » Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:48 pm

but humans don't hunt them all the time.

Dire Pack
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Dire Pack » Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:01 am

Jinxdawolf you got a point. but the largest wolf that has ever stood is the dire wolf and the largest wolf today is the grey wolf my favorite. but i cant figure out how are pet dogs today look nothing like wolves. but some dogs like the great dane might be the same size as the dire wolf. but if you look at great danes standing that looks like wolves just standing there looking for a deer.

pickledham
Pup
Pup

Post by pickledham » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:02 am

Don't take me up on this, but I think dire wolves were shorter than gray wolves, but heavier and stouter. Anyone care to verify?
----------------------
trouble is a friend of mine

trolling existence since 1st millennium BC

La Striata
Yearling
Yearling

Post by La Striata » Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:29 pm

pickledham wrote: Don't take me up on this, but I think dire wolves were shorter than gray wolves, but heavier and stouter. Anyone care to verify?
Pretty much. They weren't enormous, just about the same size as an outsized Canis lupus. Some coyotes are around the same height and length as small grey wolves, but are nonetheless lighter in weight because of their thinner bones. The same could be said for similarly sized humans and chimps.
I cannot see that wolves are in any way nobler in character than hyenas- Frederick Selous

Blakwolf13
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Blakwolf13 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:07 pm

Hi guys! I've loved Wolves since I was 8 or something like that. I find them so interesting and amazing and wonderful creatures! I'm 14 but when I grow up I want to become a Vet! I live in Australia so I want to work with animals in Australia and also animals all over the world so then I can work with Wolves! ^.^ I've also wanted to become a vet since I was 8 too, I just find animals so fascinating and interesting and i've always loved to help them out. Like recently my Mum was driving along when suddenly we saw these little wild ducks wanting to cross the road, so we stopped the car and hopped out and saw that they were actually parents with babies, so we stopped all the cars on the road (that was my job ^.^) and let them pass and go down into the grass. Mum and I felt so happy when we helped the ducks because if we just left them there like everyone else they would've died while trying to cross the road... :cry: So I think that's why i've always wanted to become a vet, but i've heard that there's lots of experience you need to become one, the minimum amount of years to become one is like 7 years! :shock: Also, I wish I could live in Canada or America or somewhere like that because then I could see Wolves! In Australia there's no Wolves at all and there's none in the zoos either! :( I've only ever seen Wolves on T.V or on photos and stuff. I'm also obsessed with Wolves and I have a t-shirt with a Wolf on it, a pillow, 3D pictures, books and a hat thing. So just hearing Canidie (sorry if I didn't spell your name right) working in a sanctuary with Wolves is awesome and makes me happy that you're caring for them! And also, I didn't know that there were Wolves in Mexico?! :?: But that's cool so I just wanted to put my opinion out there! XD :mrgreen:
Spirit of the wolf
You who wanders in the wild lands
You who stalks in silent shadows
You who runs and leaps
Between the moss covered trees
Lend me your primal strength
And the wisdom of your glowing eyes

IceaPlayzPC
Name: Icea.

Post by IceaPlayzPC » Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:59 pm

Wolves are my favorite animals since I was like, seven or eight, I have wolf shirts and a wolf hat with mittens (I got it in 2012) and I still wear that hat until this day!
TheImmortalWolf wrote:for everyone saying wolves don't have alphas they DO. the dominant pair or mother and father IS the alpha. everyone just wants the world to be a happy place where we call them mommy and daddy well its not. the "mommy and daddy" wolves are the alphas
I used to think that wolves had "Alpha" and "Beta" ranks, but when I wrote my story "Tales of snowpack" that's when I learned that wolves do not have ranks, books that tell lots of facts are apparently not true,. I believe that captive wolves are what the books are talking about, not wild wolves.
La Striata wrote:
pickledham wrote: Don't take me up on this, but I think dire wolves were shorter than gray wolves, but heavier and stouter. Anyone care to verify?
Pretty much. They weren't enormous, just about the same size as an outsized Canis lupus. Some coyotes are around the same height and length as small grey wolves, but are nonetheless lighter in weight because of their thinner bones. The same could be said for similarly sized humans and chimps.
Woah what? Dire wolves are smaller? well, that's a cool fact! :D
|•——————)(——————•|
This is where the story ends,
Are we just beginning?
|•——————)(——————•|
(`°.(°._+_.°).°`)
My fate it rains, it rains like cinders
(`°•.(`°•.••••The cadent drums, the war it comes ••••.•°`).•°`)
Growing thunder, terror, wonder
(`°.(°._+_.°).°`)
Av-LupinzPack + Bottom Sig-Black Burn, Top Sig - Icea

alethe

Post by alethe » Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:03 pm

Dire wolves are smaller and thicker. They're also slower and are believed to have been scavengers.

SilkenGalaxy
Name: Alex

Post by SilkenGalaxy » Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:44 pm

When I was little, I never really loved wolves, but I didn't like the fact that they were always the villain in stories (same way with hyenas). But it all started when i read Kathryn Lasky's Wolves of the Beyond. After that i became obsessed with wolves, i started to love them and draw them alot and then after a while, i discovered WolfQuest and loved it and I was constantly looking for games where you could be a wolf. Now I'm not so obsessed, but wolves are the thing I draw best, so i draw them more often, but I still love them and care for them and wolf hunting upsets me greatly...

By the way, my favorite species of wolf would be the red wolf, I don't believe that they're coyote/wolf mixes, in my book, they're wolves!

Return to “General Wolf Discussion”