Wolf Chat

Discuss wolves (news, sightings, etc.).

Moderators: Isela, Koa

User avatar
SilkenGalaxy
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 1049
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:51 am
Name: Alex
Gender: Female
Location: Florida

Re: Wolf Chat

Post by SilkenGalaxy » Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:16 pm

Yeah, that would definitely make life easier. Another wolf topic I find interesting, is their hierarchy. I was quite surprised that wolf packs really are just one big family, whereas dogs (their domestic counterpart) live in packs with Alphas, Betas, Gammas, Deltas, Subordinates, and Omegas, it's quite interesting that domestic animals have a stricter hierarchy but wild ones don't.

alethe
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 2811
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:39 pm
Name: [REDACTED]
Gender: Female
Location: scadrial
Contact:

Re: Wolf Chat

Post by alethe » Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:18 pm

That's because wolf packs are generally family, whereas domestic dogs are normally not family.


_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ⋯⋯⋯_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I eat danger for breakfast!
Actually, I don’t. I prefer cereal.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ⋯⋯⋯_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _


av/sig : lupe

User avatar
SilkenGalaxy
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 1049
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:51 am
Name: Alex
Gender: Female
Location: Florida

Re: Wolf Chat

Post by SilkenGalaxy » Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:23 pm

river6 wrote:That's because wolf packs are generally family, whereas domestic dogs are normally not family.
In fact, that's what's cool about wolves, they stick together as a family generally, the mom and dad, then the children, older siblings, cousins, aunts & uncles even, maybe even grandparents!

User avatar
Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator
Posts: 12939
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:53 pm
Gender: Female
Contact:

Re: Wolf Chat

Post by Koa » Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:28 pm

CakeWolfy wrote:
river6 wrote:That's because wolf packs are generally family, whereas domestic dogs are normally not family.
In fact, that's what's cool about wolves, they stick together as a family generally, the mom and dad, then the children, older siblings, cousins, aunts & uncles even, maybe even grandparents!

Wolf packs generally consist of a breeding pair and their offspring, and typically not so much the "extended family;" packs also have a tendency to fracture if a member of the breeding pair dies. Or, the remaining breeding animal will find a new mate (which rules out the "mates for life" misconception). Young wolves disperse when they reach maturity, and sometimes even earlier than that, which helps prevent inbreeding.
YOU SAY YOU WANT TO GET BETTER AND YOU DON'T KNOW HOW.

User avatar
SilkenGalaxy
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 1049
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:51 am
Name: Alex
Gender: Female
Location: Florida

Re: Wolf Chat

Post by SilkenGalaxy » Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:36 pm

Koa wrote:
CakeWolfy wrote:
river6 wrote:That's because wolf packs are generally family, whereas domestic dogs are normally not family.
In fact, that's what's cool about wolves, they stick together as a family generally, the mom and dad, then the children, older siblings, cousins, aunts & uncles even, maybe even grandparents!

Wolf packs generally consist of a breeding pair and their offspring, and typically not so much the "extended family;" packs also have a tendency to fracture if a member of the breeding pair dies. Or, the remaining breeding animal will find a new mate (which rules out the "mates for life" misconception). Young wolves disperse when they reach maturity, and sometimes even earlier than that, which helps prevent inbreeding.
Well, yeah, I was getting ahead of myself there XD

User avatar
La Striata
Yearling
Yearling
Posts: 352
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:01 pm
Location: Wadi-Abu-Diba

Re: Wolf Chat

Post by La Striata » Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:14 am

When all's said and done, the social structure of wolves is identical to that of other Canis. Wolves, coyotes and jackals all live in family groups dominated by the parents, the only real differences are the degree with which they stay together. Wolves for example stick together more than coyotes and jackals do, but are anti-social when compared to African wild dogs and dholes.
I cannot see that wolves are in any way nobler in character than hyenas- Frederick Selous

User avatar
SilkenGalaxy
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 1049
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:51 am
Name: Alex
Gender: Female
Location: Florida

Re: Wolf Chat

Post by SilkenGalaxy » Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:54 am

Now that is cool stuff, never really new Dholes and African Wild Dogs were like that....

User avatar
Spookykitty
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training
Posts: 107
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:18 am
Gender: Female
Location: Some space you are not currently occupying.

Re: Wolf Chat

Post by Spookykitty » Fri May 22, 2015 9:07 pm

It's interesting to see how wolfish instinct still prevails in dogdom. Like a hierarchy (my dogs show it. The little tiny one is boss). I know that it's been debunked, but I can still see it--Little Tiny is always the one hogging the scraps.

D0m
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 1183
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:14 am
Name: Dominik
Gender: Male
Location: Hell

Re: Wolf Chat

Post by D0m » Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:11 am

lilly_flower wrote:It's interesting to see how wolfish instinct still prevails in dogdom. Like a hierarchy (my dogs show it. The little tiny one is boss). I know that it's been debunked, but I can still see it--Little Tiny is always the one hogging the scraps.
Yep, I find this two. Even though they've had pretty much every trace possible of wolf taken out of them (it impossible to get it fully done) they still have the instincts. If you have even a pair of dogs then their is always one who is leader of the pair but the owner is always what we call "Alpha".
Last edited by D0m on Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
⋄╢ Ṩin Ịncarnate ╟⋄
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
There's so much punishment, so little time.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
◈⑄⑀⑄◈
Av / Sig - Beachbody Humperdinck
〘 Skadoosh 〙

User avatar
ChiMai00
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:46 am
Gender: Female
Location: lost in time and space

Re: Wolf Chat

Post by ChiMai00 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:38 pm

It looks like my inner wolf has truly been awoken now, haha. Seriously though, wolves are probably one of my favorite creatures. Their intelligence, beauty, and social behavior intrigues and amazes me.
I have been known to get into full-blown arguements with people about how great wolves are. Some people actually think wolves are just a terrible, cruel, vicious, and evil species. It truly saddens me to think that some people can't see the beauty of nature. Wolves are only feared because of ourselves. JUST LET THE ANIMAL LIVE, PEOPLE!
In conclusion, I would like to say that wolves are a beautiful part of nature. I believe they should be protected and should not be feared. They are very territorial creatures, like humans, and shouldn't be blamed for fighting back. I just think it's about time we started fighting back with them.

P.S. Sorry if anyone is offended, or something. I'm very opinionated. :?

User avatar
Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator
Posts: 12939
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:53 pm
Gender: Female
Contact:

Re: Wolf Chat

Post by Koa » Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:48 pm

ChiMai00 wrote:It looks like my inner wolf has truly been awoken now, haha. Seriously though, wolves are probably one of my favorite creatures. Their intelligence, beauty, and social behavior intrigues and amazes me.
I have been known to get into full-blown arguements with people about how great wolves are. Some people actually think wolves are just a terrible, cruel, vicious, and evil species. It truly saddens me to think that some people can't see the beauty of nature. Wolves are only feared because of ourselves. JUST LET THE ANIMAL LIVE, PEOPLE!
In conclusion, I would like to say that wolves are a beautiful part of nature. I believe they should be protected and should not be feared. They are very territorial creatures, like humans, and shouldn't be blamed for fighting back. I just think it's about time we started fighting back with them.

P.S. Sorry if anyone is offended, or something. I'm very opinionated. :?
I think the opinion about wolves is actually changing; there are many people who share similar thoughts and feelings about wolves being "misunderstood." The attention,"fighting back" and "protection" is somewhat excessive and, for certain wolves, unwarranted. Do not forget to acknowledge wolves as predators. They are and will act as such.
YOU SAY YOU WANT TO GET BETTER AND YOU DON'T KNOW HOW.

User avatar
Jeames
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 4153
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:43 am
Name: Jeames, Jea
Gender: Other
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

Re: Wolf Chat

Post by Jeames » Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:11 am

I live in the Netherlands. Wolves living in Germany, at the borders, came over to my country a while ago.
It wasn't a pack but it were one or two dispersed wolves looking for a new place to start their own pack.
I saw it on the news; some people were able to see the creature for themselves and catch it on camera. That was amazing to see.

The reason they got to film the creature though was because it was probably a young wolf that had never been in negative contact with humans before and it just roamed the streets. Or it had not been in any contact with humans at all. It was probably looking for forest grounds, most likely even, but ended up in villages and industrial areas because it had to venture through these type of areas to get to the forests.

But from what I heard the wolf went back to Germany again crossing the border, and it might take around ten to thirty more years for a wolf pack to actually settle in my country. But nonetheless it was a fun experience to see a real wolf on the news in my own country for the first time in my life. An actual wild wolf.
. - Jeames - .

For the last time,
I am a STICK okay?!?!
Oh and I own Paradiigm.
Now I must go annoy Dom.
sig/av ↝ Paradiigm/noir_187

User avatar
JazzieAngel
Pup
Pup
Posts: 35
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:25 am
Gender: Female
Location: On boards :)

Re: Wolf Chat

Post by JazzieAngel » Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:51 pm

CakeWolfy wrote:Yeah, that would definitely make life easier. Another wolf topic I find interesting, is their hierarchy. I was quite surprised that wolf packs really are just one big family, whereas dogs (their domestic counterpart) live in packs with Alphas, Betas, Gammas, Deltas, Subordinates, and Omegas, it's quite interesting that domestic animals have a stricter hierarchy but wild ones don't.

Very interesting.
Pride does'ent really count if your dead...
-Hige

--wolf's rain


Omega~Solsticepack☼
₪Live with the wolves₪
♪And you learn to howl♪


Avatar by-LupinzPack

User avatar
Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator
Posts: 12939
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:53 pm
Gender: Female
Contact:

Re: Wolf Chat

Post by Koa » Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:54 pm

JazzieAngel wrote: Very interesting.
Please make sure your posts are at least three words (even if you are quoting), otherwise they will be considered SPAM.
YOU SAY YOU WANT TO GET BETTER AND YOU DON'T KNOW HOW.

D0m
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 1183
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:14 am
Name: Dominik
Gender: Male
Location: Hell

Re: Wolf Chat

Post by D0m » Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:05 am

CakeWolfy wrote:Yeah, that would definitely make life easier. Another wolf topic I find interesting, is their hierarchy. I was quite surprised that wolf packs really are just one big family, whereas dogs (their domestic counterpart) live in packs with Alphas, Betas, Gammas, Deltas, Subordinates, and Omegas, it's quite interesting that domestic animals have a stricter hierarchy but wild ones don't.
This is quite true, domestic dogs do seem to have stricter hierarchy's than that of the wolf. As wolves are just a breeding pair and offspring with maybe a few non-related ones and Domestic Dogs are generally not related to each other.
⋄╢ Ṩin Ịncarnate ╟⋄
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
There's so much punishment, so little time.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
◈⑄⑀⑄◈
Av / Sig - Beachbody Humperdinck
〘 Skadoosh 〙

Post Reply

Return to “General Wolf Discussion”