Tracking a wolf

Discuss wolves (news, sightings, etc.).

Moderators: Isela, Koa

Silver1000
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Tracking a wolf

Post by Silver1000 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:47 am

Sorry if i have got this in the wrong section, im still learning about which topics go where

Okay, im learning to track a wolf. I am listing tracking wolves here and so you can learn yourself how to track a wolf. First of all, please no complaints. This is what i am learning and if something in incorrect. Please correct me. Do keep on topic aswell, please dont type anything off topic.

1. A wolve's front paws are different from it's back paws. So it leaves different paw prints on where it walks. But be carefull, this may be the case with cats and dogs aswell. A wolve's paw prints are larger, and deeper into the ground because of their strength.

2. Signs of scat
Find some scat then? Have a look of what it contains, and match the traces of food to a wolves diet. A wolve's diet would normally be animals such as elk, deer, hare and sometimes bugs.

3. Wolf territory marking
If your out in the forest looking for a wolf or wolves, check for territory markings, they normally consider around good places for finding a partner or raising their pups. Raising their pups means they need to find a safe place such as cave or a small underground den.

4. Signs of feeding
No finding anough evidence, look our for feeding such as dead animals (must be in wolves diet). If you find a dead animal which is wolf kill and is not in a wolve's diet, the wolf may be protecting her/his pups, wolves do anything to protect their pups.

5. Wolf prey
look for wolf prey, such as deer related animals (Elk, goat, anything a wolf could kill)

6. pup feeding.
Check for pup feeding, which includes little chunks of chewed up meat which have been given to the pups by their parents. The pups dont always eat all of the food.

7. Wolf howls
If you here a wolf howl, means you have found a close by wolf. A wolf found howling is normally looking for a partner, unless just howling to tell all predators to keep off their area of the forest.

8. Abandoned wolf den
Look for a abandoned wolf den, they are normally in areas that are no safe or have been taken by humans.
99% of teenagers would cry if they saw Justin Bieber standing on top of a tower about to jump, and the rest, 1% of teenages would sit there with popcorn and 3D glasses

BatteriesNotIncluded
Pup
Pup
Location: plunging hours of my life into pointless youtube videos.

Re: Tracking a wolf

Post by BatteriesNotIncluded » Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:07 pm

Thy for telling me how to track a wolf. I do really love wolves but uh.... i just wanted some one to talk to. but uh any way thy for telling me how to track a wolf. Could not have said it better myself..... so yeah...... (i really really just was lonely) :wink: (i love emotes :D)
we literally have no way of knowing whether or not the world outside of our consciousness exists

c':
james-fun-in-the-sunderland.tumblr.com

Silver1000
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Silver1000 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:19 am

No prob. Another fact.....
Wolves are extremely territorial, if you do find one, register it's health by writing it down on a piece of paper. So if you see a wolf with (for an example) a broken paw or a bleeding eye, write it down and leave, then go and phone the RSPCA so they can find the wolf, examine it and fix it's injury
99% of teenagers would cry if they saw Justin Bieber standing on top of a tower about to jump, and the rest, 1% of teenages would sit there with popcorn and 3D glasses

wolfluver86

Post by wolfluver86 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:35 pm

Ok. I will try that some time. :D

Thandi
Adult Wolf
Adult Wolf

Post by Thandi » Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:47 pm

Thats very cool, I'll have to try it some day... when I'm up north! Hehe.
everything out of the ordinary is considered weird, i try to stay clear of the eathlings and their fears

Silver1000
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Silver1000 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:38 am

I have tried tracking a wolf, i came to a used wolf den but luckily, they were out hunting. But they had 2 little pups huddle up in the den. I registered the pups health, luckily, they were both in good health. Then i went home

Thanks for reading

Canidae
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Canidae » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:12 pm

Silver1000 wrote:I have tried tracking a wolf, i came to a used wolf den but luckily, they were out hunting. But they had 2 little pups huddle up in the den. I registered the pups health, luckily, they were both in good health. Then i went home

Thanks for reading

I'm not entirely sure I believe you, but in case you're telling the truth, that wasn't a very good idea. Only trained, licensed wildlife scientists and ecologists should ever go near wild animals, especially predators.

If you find a wolf den, and know the wolf den is being used, you should respect nature and keep your distance.
Like animal photography? Check out my Deviantart account:
http://familycanidae.deviantart.com/

Silver1000
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Silver1000 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:24 pm

I did keep my distance, but i can tell there were no wolves in the den

Canidae
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Canidae » Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:42 pm

Silver1000 wrote:I did keep my distance, but i can tell there were no wolves in the den

Okay, now I'm pretty sure you're not telling the truth. In your last post, you said there were pups in the den. Now you're saying there weren't. You also said you "registered the pups' health"....if the pups were in the den, there is no way you could have done this without actually crawling into their den.
Like animal photography? Check out my Deviantart account:
http://familycanidae.deviantart.com/

X-Akami-X
Pup
Pup

Post by X-Akami-X » Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:25 pm

Cool, that's pretty neat! I doubt I'll ever find myself tracking a wolf, but you never know :3

ώølƒ сɾαʐÿ ṡïṉсε 1998
wolveѕ 4ever!
ι aм grαчdαwn131 on тнe warrιorѕ and ѕeeĸerѕ ғorυмѕ!

..............Avvie © Me

Thandi
Adult Wolf
Adult Wolf

Post by Thandi » Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:59 pm

Silver1000 wrote:I have tried tracking a wolf, i came to a used wolf den but luckily, they were out hunting. But they had 2 little pups huddle up in the den. I registered the pups health, luckily, they were both in good health. Then i went home

Thanks for reading
I don't believe you one bit.

I emailed this post to my friend up north and she said she would try it today, I wonder hor it turned out for her. :3
everything out of the ordinary is considered weird, i try to stay clear of the eathlings and their fears

midnightsrain
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by midnightsrain » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:01 pm

That's really cool, thank you for the information, I would love to try it someday.
Enigma, alphess of Sublime Sorrows

Come and join us at the quickly growing Sublime Sorrows at
http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=45843

naruto10482
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by naruto10482 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:47 am

dont yall use radio collers or ya not like that
...............(\(|
_..____../{ "-;
//) )___\..;'` Foxes gotta love em!83