NDP seeks law to help protect wolves from unethical hunting

Discuss wolves. (News, sightings, conservation, status, etc.)

Moderators: Isela, Koa

Blightwolf
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

Post by Blightwolf » Sun May 29, 2011 1:37 am

May 28, 2011

The NDP has introduced a bill that seeks to amend the Wildlife Act to make it illegal to hunt wolves by placing bait.

Maple Ridge-Pitt Meadows MLA Michael Sather's Fair Chase Act also would forbid anyone from impeding the movement of wildlife "by placing a motorized vehicle, aircraft, boat or other mechanical device between wildlife and the direction the wildlife is proceeding."

The Vancouver Sun reported on a controversial wolf trophy hunt with Wicked River Outfitters on frozen Williston Lake reservoir in northern B.C. in February 2010.

A written account -published online by a couple associated with the Dallas Safari Club of Texas -detailed the use of bait and a snowmobile travelling in excess of 140 km/h to prevent a seven-member wolf pack from escaping.

The provincial conservation officer service continues to investigate that incident.

The province says it is awaiting the outcome of the investigation before deciding if fair-chase laws are needed.

The Wildlife Act prohibits the use of a "motor vehicle or other mechanical device to herd or harass wildlife."

The NDP said Friday it proposed the bill not with the expectation it would be adopted by the Liberal majority in Victoria, but that it might help to influence future government policy.

Source: http://www.vancouversun.com/seeks+help+ ... story.html
AUGUST 2009 USER OF THE MONTH

-x-Zaroque-x-
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

Re: NDP seeks law to help protect wolves from unethical hunt

Post by -x-Zaroque-x- » Mon May 30, 2011 8:21 am

How rather extrodinary. Thank you very much, again, for giving us a great read!
..../\/\/\/...........------- Who am I? -------
.........../..........I'm Captain Jack Sparrow!

............\/\/\/.....Avatar © Gingerwolff <3

Blightwolf
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

Re: NDP seeks law to help protect wolves from unethical hunt

Post by Blightwolf » Tue May 31, 2011 9:42 am

-x-Zaroque-x- wrote:How rather extrodinary. Thank you very much, again, for giving us a great read!
Every nation should consider a law similar to this; countries where poaching is most likely organized crime (such as my country) could at least try to ensure that unethical hunting does not spread or evolve via law like this. There is nothing wrong with responsible hunting, but when the style or technique of hunting starts to breach animal welfare laws, this are getting serious. It is not appropriate to harass wildlife in the way some poachers or other unethical hunters do. A law like this is very welcomed in my eyes.
AUGUST 2009 USER OF THE MONTH