"Killing wolves 'biologically wrong' "

Discuss wolves (news, sightings, etc.).

Moderators: Isela, Koa

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

"Killing wolves 'biologically wrong' "

Post by Koa » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:17 am

A bit controversial but I want your opinion on this one.
Biologist Bob Hayes has killed 851 wolves and sterilized many others in the name of science and conservation biology. For nearly two decades, he thought he was doing what needed to be done to protect caribou, moose and other prey species in the Yukon Territory.

But two years ago, when Hayes was asked by a wildlife management organization whether killing wolves should be considered as a way of stopping the decline of one of the great caribou herds of the world, his answer was an emphatic "No."

More recently, when he was asked whether there are circumstances in which predator control might be acceptable, Hayes answered in a similar way.
Read more here: http://www.edmontonjournal.com/travel/K ... story.html
YOU SAY YOU WANT TO GET BETTER AND YOU DON'T KNOW HOW.

La Striata
Yearling
Yearling

Re: "Killing wolves 'biologically wrong' "

Post by La Striata » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:53 am

Being a hunter, Hayes does not allow sentiment to clutter his train of thought about wolves. He does, however, acknowledge that killing so many wolves was emotionally stressful. But he insists that this is not the reason why he opposes using wolf control as a wildlife management tool. Eighteen years of research and a pile of scientific papers, he says, is what changed his mind....
I find this statement somewhat doubtful, considering this later snippet;
"When you see wolves as individuals and as remarkable social animals, not merely as predators, then it becomes as abhorrent to kill them as it would be your own dog."
I won't bore anyone by elaborating on how dogs are actually descended from Asian desert wolves rather than North American tundra/timber wolves. I would however like to point out that by his logic, we should be extending the same charity he demands for wolves to feral dogs.
I cannot see that wolves are in any way nobler in character than hyenas- Frederick Selous

Crocotto
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Crocotto » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:59 pm

As there is no such thing as a unbiased document, I do have to agree with La Striata on this one. The fact Mr. Hayes imputed his own personal opinions and offered no solid alternative; I do have to question the article's factual correctness
~Convenience is no excuse to hide truth~

Blight-Wolf for Moderator!
# Team Anti-Wolfaboo

Kestrelflight
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Kestrelflight » Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:10 pm

"Wolf control can be an effective way of reducing kills. But the province is kidding itself if it thinks that wolf control alone is the answer. It's not."
I agree with this statement. Sure, wolf control may help, but there are other predators, some take down a lot more prey than a pack of wolves would. Just compare bear hunting techniques to that of a wolves. A bear can take down large prey very easily, and a lot faster, wolves take up to days to do that to a fully grown large prey animal.

Hayes state of mind is simple, start looking at other causes for declining populations before jumping to the conclusion that the only cause is wolves. There are other predators out there.
You can lead a horse to water, and you can lead a horse into water, and you can swim around with the horse and have fun.

#BEANCLUB

Avatar [c] idk someone (hint: it's not me)

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:24 pm

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks this article is definitely biased.
I feel like killing wolves is fine; it's an inexpensive method, right? I wouldn't think it would be more complicated than going out and sterilizing wolves.. that doesn't seem like a better option nor more reasonable to me, personally. It sounds like more work/more money.

Crocotto
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Crocotto » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:42 pm

Koa wrote:Glad I'm not the only one who thinks this article is definitely biased.
I feel like killing wolves is fine; it's an inexpensive method, right? I wouldn't think it would be more complicated than going out and sterilizing wolves.. that doesn't seem like a better option nor more reasonable to me, personally. It sounds like more work/more money.
True, they already tried sterilizing and release with feral cats (which I think is insanity overriding reason at it's best) and look how that turned out
*cough* *cough* Australia *cough*

Authorized, regulated; legal hunting never caused an extinction, and it does work

# Team Anti-Wolfaboo

Kestrelflight
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Kestrelflight » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:51 pm

Koa wrote:Glad I'm not the only one who thinks this article is definitely biased.
Doesn't it depend on -how- you hunt the wolves? Maybe going out on foot is cheaper, but it's also time consuming, and aerial hunting is not as long going, but it's expensive.
You can lead a horse to water, and you can lead a horse into water, and you can swim around with the horse and have fun.

#BEANCLUB

Avatar [c] idk someone (hint: it's not me)

Crocotto
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Crocotto » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:52 pm

Kestrelflight wrote:
Doesn't it depend on -how- you hunt the wolves? Maybe going out on foot is cheaper, but it's also time consuming, and aerial hunting is not as long going, but it's expensive.
Would like to point out if you have hunters pay to go on foot, all of that money they pay goes directly to conservation

# Team Anti-Wolfaboo

NewMooon
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by NewMooon » Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:25 pm

I honestly don't know what to say. I do feel that killing wolves "just isn't right." But I don't know how I should react to this article.
..........╔═╦╗────╔═╦═╗
..........║║║╠═╦╦╦╣║║║╠═╦═╦═╦═╦╗
..........║║║║╩╣║║║║║║║╬║╬║╬║║║║
..........╚╩═╩═╩══╩╩═╩╩═╩═╩═╩╩═╝

.........."life IS hard."
.........."~ŋɚɰ ɱøøŋ

Green Paws Team

TextArt© Nightly
Avvie© Crystal

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:54 am

NewMooon wrote:I honestly don't know what to say. I do feel that killing wolves "just isn't right." But I don't know how I should react to this article.
It may "not seem right" but its for the better interest of the animal and the general management of it. Same thing goes for deer and other animals that are killed.

Silver_Stream00
Pup
Pup

Post by Silver_Stream00 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:46 am

I think wolves are actually an important part of an area's food web, and if you take the top predator away than the food web will break. Example: In Australia there were (I don't know if this is still happening) little or no predators apart from some dingoes to kill rabbits. I saw this old photo once of tons of rabbits drinking at a waterhole and there must have been at least 30 in that one photo! If 1 wolf has some bug that could infect others, i agree to killing 1, to save the whole population, but killing wolves for pelts or just for fun is unnatural. Most of us don't need pelts any more, apart from tribes and ancient peoples who are untouched from the modern world, like in the rainforest. Hunting wolves when we are not even hungry goes against the natural world. Let's face it, we are animals, because we are related to apes, and actually if i remember rightly about half our DNA we share with a banana, and we share some DNA, RNA or something else with a rat. That is why rats are used in cosmetic tests.
I disagree with mass killing wolves, but if it has a bug that might affect others, don't shoot it, put it to sleep.
.//...'.'.'.'..(¨*.¸(¨*.¸´.¸ тђє คfricคɲ Stคrs Pคςƙ ¸.´¸.*¨) ¸.*¨)
.//...'.///////////.//////////'.'.'..Celebrating 2 years
...........Orbit, proud to be a Zaka of the African Stars Pack!
.//.......'.'.'.'..Come join the largest pack on WolfQuest today!:
..../....//.http://wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=45816

Signature/Avatar by the African Stars Pack.

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:52 pm

Silver_Stream00 wrote:I think wolves are actually an important part of an area's food web, and if you take the top predator away than the food web will break. Example: In Australia there were (I don't know if this is still happening) little or no predators apart from some dingoes to kill rabbits. I saw this old photo once of tons of rabbits drinking at a waterhole and there must have been at least 30 in that one photo! If 1 wolf has some bug that could infect others, i agree to killing 1, to save the whole population, but killing wolves for pelts or just for fun is unnatural. Most of us don't need pelts any more, apart from tribes and ancient peoples who are untouched from the modern world, like in the rainforest. Hunting wolves when we are not even hungry goes against the natural world. Let's face it, we are animals, because we are related to apes, and actually if i remember rightly about half our DNA we share with a banana, and we share some DNA, RNA or something else with a rat. That is why rats are used in cosmetic tests.
I disagree with mass killing wolves, but if it has a bug that might affect others, don't shoot it, put it to sleep.
Wolves are not the top predators nor the only predators in the areas they inhabit. Mountain lions and bears are just a few to name.

The majority of wolf hunting is not "for fun." Typically it is for population control so that wolves do not overpopulate and cause further problems. While some may illegally hunt, the issue of illegal hunting with gray wolves is not as common as people make it out to be.

Putting an animal to sleep is firstly time consuming and moreover more expensive and less effective than shooting an animal. Think about it - you have to tranquilize it, crate it, and so on. In general, capturing wolves is a challenge itself, let alone putting them to sleep. It is more efficient to shoot a wolf rather than take the population one by one and putting them to sleep.

chase-soul-eyes
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by chase-soul-eyes » Sun May 06, 2012 6:16 am

wolves where put in the food chain for a reson and they is dead important to the circle of life.
Its the same horribe nightmare...
The red hood the basket of goodies...
BUT NOW SHES GOT A BAZOOKA!!!!!! o_O

Return to “General Wolf Discussion”