How would you react to...

Discuss wolves (news, sightings, etc.).

Moderators: Isela, Koa

Lexwolf
Yearling
Yearling

Re: How would you react to...

Post by Lexwolf » Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:30 pm

I probably wouldn't be camping or showing off in the first place, but... I'd probably panic. I'd freeze, and then back away very slowly (and probably end up getting killed in the process e.e). Or I'd scream at the top of my lungs. I'm a coward.

Alright, similar situation as above: you're lost in the woods. You leave your camp for an hour or so, hunting for food. Your hunt isn't very successful; you only found a couple of hares, which you placed in your pack. When you return, you find that your camp has been ransacked, the little bit of meat you had left stolen. In the sandy dirt surrounding your camp, there are scattered footprints leading away from your camp. You'd studied different footprints before ever going hiking, so you know that they are clearly wolf footprints. Taking your gun and pocket knife, your only weapons (and you don't have much ammunition left), you track the footprints. They lead you straight to a wolf's den. Standing a few yards away is the mother wolf. She looks very, very hungry. You realize you left the hares you caught in your bag, which you brought with you. She can smell them. What do you do?
Wolves of the West Lands

Our clan is old as time.
Our history weaves through the decades.
Our leaders are young and strong.
And their story is just begun.

http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67979

ovedur

Post by ovedur » Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:24 pm

Give the hares to her, obviously.

How would you react if you saw a wolf outside your screen door?

Sambhur
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Sambhur » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:30 am

How I would react would most likely depend on why the wolf is there, I suppose. Chances are it would have escaped from somewhere in captivity. At first I'd probably be like WOW there's a wolf at my door, and afterwards I'd start to realise that there's pretty much a wild animal at the door that could do quite a bit of damage to me if it wanted to. I guess keeping the wolf near my house would probably be the best idea, as someone would most likely be looking for it, because there's no chance there'd be a wild wolf here in Australia. :L I might throw a steak or something out the window for it so that it'd hang around for a bit while I call the right people about the fact that there's a wolf near my front door. :V

How would you react to seeing a wolf out on the street? You know it's this certain wolf from a zoo that's probably escaped somehow, and you've seen the keepers there pet it a few times before.
freelance artist/illustrator // biology student and wildlife enthusiast // sometimes i draw things for WQ

[instagram] [facebook] [twitter] [prints]
[click here to tell me what to draw]

Lexwolf
Yearling
Yearling

Post by Lexwolf » Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:12 pm

I'd call the zoo/authorities/animal control immediately.

Imagine you're a trained volunteer at a wolf sanctuary (or something of that sort). One of the females has recently had a litter of pups, and she was too sick to care for them. You and the other volunteers have taken it upon yourselves to be the pups' surrogate parents, and they've been doing great. Their mother is still in veterinary care. Now it's time to introduce the pups into the enclosure with the rest of the wolves at the sanctuary. One of the wolves, the pups' father, is much more dominant than the others, an "alpha" of sorts. When you bring the pups into the enclosure, their father appears to be stalking them, growling lowly. How do you react?
Wolves of the West Lands

Our clan is old as time.

ZippyWizard
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by ZippyWizard » Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:59 pm

Immediately remove either the alpha or pups from the enclosure and then let them meet and get situated where there is a fence between them. Fathers of pups have been known to be extremely aggressive and will do severe damage to the pups-it's better to separate them and let them interact over a fence than to do anything else.
You are a wolf scientist observing a mother and her 10-day-old pups in the wild. The mother leaves to find food and after a long while you hear a gunshot. The mother does not return to the pups whatsoever. Do you rescue the pups, leave them be, or do you do something totally different?
You walk like a storm, and I will follow.

Lexwolf
Yearling
Yearling

Post by Lexwolf » Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:33 pm

Since the pups are so young, and it seems their father is absent, I would probably call in more professionals to help me rescue the pups, and bring them to a zoo/animal reserve/something like that.

You and your animal-loving best friend are out on a nature trail, hiking. Your friend is especially eager because she knows the trail goes through wolf country, and she is hopeful to see a wolf or two up close. Around noon you take a break and set out your picnic blanket next to the trail and pull out your lunch: beef sandwiches. You both start to eat, but then your friend notices a rustle in the bushes. A wolf pup, maybe five months old, comes out, and your friend eagerly gets up, offering her sandwich to it and trying to pet it. The pup is bold and comes right up to her. What she doesn't notice, and you do, is that another wolf, the pup's mother or father, is stalking in the bushes nearby. How do you react?
Wolves of the West Lands

Our clan is old as time.

Canis-Dirus
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Canis-Dirus » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:35 pm

Lexwolf wrote:Since the pups are so young, and it seems their father is absent, I would probably call in more professionals to help me rescue the pups, and bring them to a zoo/animal reserve/something like that.

You and your animal-loving best friend are out on a nature trail, hiking. Your friend is especially eager because she knows the trail goes through wolf country, and she is hopeful to see a wolf or two up close. Around noon you take a break and set out your picnic blanket next to the trail and pull out your lunch: beef sandwiches. You both start to eat, but then your friend notices a rustle in the bushes. A wolf pup, maybe five months old, comes out, and your friend eagerly gets up, offering her sandwich to it and trying to pet it. The pup is bold and comes right up to her. What she doesn't notice, and you do, is that another wolf, the pup's mother or father, is stalking in the bushes nearby. How do you react?

I always carry a gun with me. I'd snap it out as quick as I can and order my friend to drop the sandwich and back up from the pup. As much as I'd hate to kill anything, if I saw any indication the adult was going to charge; the trigger's getting pulled. We'd then back up and try to distance ourselves while not turning out backed to the wolf. I'd mind the area around me to make sure there were no more. If the adult wolf showed signs of pursuing, I'd fire a warning shot over its head to scare it or any other wolves off. If one gets within 15 feet however, I'm shooting it.

You are walking through a nature reserve. You've heard the local wolf pack was suffering loses because coyotes were killing pups. You find a clearing and find a large male coyote fighting a large wolf. Looking on, you can see a female coyote laying down near some pups and she doesn't seem to be moving. The wolf already has blood on her jaws. The father coyote fights as hard as he can but is killed and now one of the she wolf is heading for the coyote pups. You have several large rocks near you that could be thrown and a thick, broad stick; but no firearms. What do you do?

Lexwolf
Yearling
Yearling

Post by Lexwolf » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:02 pm

Let them be. I don't have a right to mess with nature, especially on a reserve. I would probably leave before any of the animals got killed, though.

You and your family are camping in Yellowstone. You're camped out at the moment in wolf territory. One night, you're awakened by the sound of thundering hooves and wolf howls, coming towards your campsite rapidly. The rest of your family is sound asleep. How do you react?
Wolves of the West Lands

Our clan is old as time.

chickiefoo
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by chickiefoo » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:18 pm

Immediately wake my family and as fast as possible, get in our car (which would probably be parked nearby)

You are walking home on a chilly autumn day, and you turn the corner only to see a large wolf right in front of you. It looks nearly starved to death, it's ribs and spine show clearly through matted looking fur. It's curling up it's upper lip, showing it's pale pink gums and large yellow teeth, growling. It stares at you with such intensity in its eyes, you know it's going to attack at any moment. How do you react?
Last edited by chickiefoo on Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bajj
Expert Wolf

wolf 1176
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by wolf 1176 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:42 pm

well my dogs are 99 precent wolf so there like wild and they would attack a wolf they have already took down a cow moose so they are protective of me so if it hurt me my dogs would attack it and it would probaly be by by wolf
I am brave
I am loyal
fast and strong
I live in the woods
ready to strike you
I am a......
WARRIOR
you have all the weapons you need now FIGHT

ZippyWizard
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by ZippyWizard » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:09 pm

A dog fight is the last thing you would want on your hands in a moment like that; especially when a wolf as unhealthy like that could do a lot of health damage to your own dog. The best thing to do would just back away as slowly as possible, and to not let yourself or your dog make direct eye contact with the wolf. If you have a weapon, or something that would scare the wolf, throw/toss/fire/use it, and then get the heck out of there before things get worse.

Since the last person didn't put a situation, I'll put one (and something similar to this has actually happened to me before, but with coyotes): You are camping with your friend in Yellowstone. Your friend wants to show you her wolf howl, so she cups her hands and makes a spot-on impression of every wolf howl you've ever heard. You joke that it's not that great, but then you hear a howl in response that isn't too far off. Other howls start to echo and out of the corner of your eye you see a glowing pair of eyes. You do have a gun, but it only has one shot in it. You think there are 5-10 wolves surrounding you. Your car is five miles up the road where you hiked in. What do you do?
You walk like a storm, and I will follow.

melodywhisper1084
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by melodywhisper1084 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:15 am

ZippyWizard wrote:A dog fight is the last thing you would want on your hands in a moment like that; especially when a wolf as unhealthy like that could do a lot of health damage to your own dog. The best thing to do would just back away as slowly as possible, and to not let yourself or your dog make direct eye contact with the wolf. If you have a weapon, or something that would scare the wolf, throw/toss/fire/use it, and then get the heck out of there before things get worse.

Since the last person didn't put a situation, I'll put one (and something similar to this has actually happened to me before, but with coyotes): You are camping with your friend in Yellowstone. Your friend wants to show you her wolf howl, so she cups her hands and makes a spot-on impression of every wolf howl you've ever heard. You joke that it's not that great, but then you hear a howl in response that isn't too far off. Other howls start to echo and out of the corner of your eye you see a glowing pair of eyes. You do have a gun, but it only has one shot in it. You think there are 5-10 wolves surrounding you. Your car is five miles up the road where you hiked in. What do you do?
Man, that seems scary and dangerous!
Wild dogs don't normally attack humans like a wild cat would, but getting bit by a dog still hurts and there is a 50/50% chance of the wolf carrying rabies. Here is what I would do.
1) Try to calm down and not show much fear, wolves can sense fear and they will attempt to attack.
2)Calm my friend down and we both stay quiet
3) Grab that gun, wolves can be frightened by the sound of a gunshot
4) Try to count how many wolves are there, if there isn't many wolves, I get me and my friend to calmly walk out, if a wolf jumps at us, it's a bullet to it, after all we are protecting ourselves and not hunting them for game
5) If there is a lot of wolves me and my friend still stay quiet and attempt #4
6) Go to the car as quick but calm as possible
7) When we get to the car, I nag my friend for nearly getting us killed
Red as a strawberry
orange as an... orange?
yellow as a lemon
green as a watermelon
there is no blue fruits
purple as a blueberry
my favorite fruits

ArrowWolf005
Yearling
Yearling

Post by ArrowWolf005 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:35 am

Since the last person didn't put one in, I'll do a situation.

You are hunting in a nearby forest, when you see a female deer. A few seconds later, an agressive looking buck comes by. You start to move towards it slowly and silently, when you hear leaves crashing. You turn around because you think your little brother wants to come too, when you see this enormous pair of eyes and teeth. It turnes out the local wolf pack is hunting that same deer, too. You only have one shot left in your gun. If you shoot the buck or doe, the wolves will run you over trying to get to the carcass and possibly hurt you to protect it. The lead wolf is too close for you to shoot, but if you clobber him in the head with the butt side of your gun, the rest of the pack might attack. If you shoot the gun, eitherf at the doe or at one of the wolves, it might scare the buck and prompt him to attack you, and the wolves might go after the doe carcass if you shot her and attack the buck, but if you shot a wolf they would attack you and the buck. You are also a little too close to the lead wolf to walk away without being seen. What do you do?
Arrow
Hunting with the pack for 2 years
Rumors
http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=71954
Definition
http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=72174

Return to “General Wolf Discussion”