Page 1 of 11

How would you react to...

Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:54 am
by Koa
The goal of this thread is to get a sense of (a people's feelings for wolves in certain situations and (b promote engaging/respectful discussion about why/how someone reacted to a certain situation. I want all of you to think realistically as possible and put YOU in the shoes of some of the people and their situations that have been posted about on here.

The thread will work in the following manner;
. Person above you posts "How would you react to a wolf...." (situation follows afterwards)
.. You respond to the reaction and then you present a question of your own. (if someone was posting a question and reacting above you, you are also allowed to comment on that action.)
... Repeat.
** To keep the thread organized, please only comment [if you want to] on a user's reaction IF they were the one that posted above you. I don't want everyone commenting on a sole user's reaction whitlist forgetting to post their reaction/new reaction question and the thread's "rhythm" messed up entirely.

This thread is not meant to be controversial. Please do not make it as such. If you think one of your responses may be controversial, you may state your reaction in a respectful manner and make it clear that you are attempting to state it respectfully. Please avoid posting any provoking commentary otherwise [post your reaction, perhaps a short why, your new reaction question, and leave it at that] - this is the same for those who may be commenting on the person's reactions above them. Respect all reactions - again, you may comment on the above user's reactions if you feel you would have reacted differently and feel strongly about stating it, but do remain civil.

I would recommend that the situations you bring up are realistic and plausible. "How would you react to a wolf under your bed" is not a good example. (;

I will start off.

How would you react to a wolf...
encountering you while walking your dog?

Re: How would you react to...

Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:29 pm
by Tarbtano
La Striata wrote:Try to get the dog in my arms, slowly get out of there and warn my neighbours.

How would you react to a wolf...

following you home. Not necessarily aggressively, but obviously not intimidated by you.

Travel more for a short distance, making sure that-
1. A accessible building or obstacle I can get through but the wolf can't (a jumpe-able fence, a shop or business, climbable tree; etc.) is always near
2. Not to look behind me too often or run, as it might set a carnivore off

and seeing if the wolf follows me further. If it is, I'd get to something mentioned in option 1 now. I can just call in someone to pick me up, Better safe then sorry.



a wolf approaching you when your out on your porch

Re: How would you react to...

Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:46 pm
by Koa
I would walk slowly back into my house... hopefully the front door would be unlocked. [If I was out just on my porch I don't see why I'd have it locked anyway, LOL.]

After I got inside I'd contact my neighbors and authoritive figures in the surrounding area so they're aware of the problem. I don't live in a neighborhood actually but I do live near people. There's a lot of hunting dogs around too, so that can always be a problem since wolves tend to be aggressive/defensive towards dogs.

How would you react to a wolf investigating your neighbor's house when they are [obviously] not around at the time and have left their pets unsupervised in the backyard?

Re: How would you react to...

Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:32 am
by La Striata
I guess I'd hesitate at first, but then remember there are pets at stake here, so I'd rush out there, shouting and brandishing a broom or something to that effect... then I'd call the wildlife authorities and inform them they have a wolf that's too bold for its own good on their hands.

How would you react if you saw a wolf attempting to copulate with your unsterilised dog? Would you mind the prospect of having hybrid pups later?

Re: How would you react to...

Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:21 pm
by Koa
Water hose worked on the dogs attacking my one dog and they both ran off. Don't see why it wouldn't work on a wolf attempting to mate with my dog. Probably not the safest way, but seriously, I would NOT want puppies.. we have three dogs already and have a good deal of land, but our house couldn't afford more animals running around. They're sterilized though,s o no worries. I can only imagine the nightmare if they weren't.

[Oh, and then I'd get my dog sterilized. =D ]

At night, you are with your dog on a leash and letting your pet out for a bathroom break since it doesn't sleep through the night. It's dark but you have a flashlight, and shine it over something moving. Eventually you come to realize that this is a wolf. What would you do? [Similar to my first one but it's dark outside.. just curious if this would change your reactions slightly or drastically.]

Re: How would you react to...

Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:54 pm
by Samuel Maki
I try to stay calm and remember that it is just a wolf nothing too major. I would probably just try to move real slow and put the flashlight off (I hate using flashlights btw, they make more harm than good to your night sight :wink: ). I would not shout my pet or anything, I would just make sure which way it did go and does the wolf follow it and how fast (if it is just walking real slow, it might not even be after my pet, just going in the same direction...). If the wolf starts to run after my pet I would run after and make much noise to draw the attention or make the wolf run away (I think I have a good chance to take one lone wolf, but my pet would get hurt...)


How would you react if you saw some people teasing a wolf? Throwing rocks etc.

Re: How would you react to...

Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:18 pm
by Nordue
  • My reaction would depend on the environment. If we were at a zoo, I would imagine that the aggressor would be persecuted by the other guests automatically (perhaps including myself) in light of the general public’s stance on harassing zoo animals (against). I would also like to think the wolf would simply move away and hide, and the impolite guest would be escorted out of the zoo eventually.

    If I witnessed such an event in the wild, on a hike perhaps, I wouldn’t do anything. The wolf would simply move away, if not flee already form the presence of humans.

    If the teasing potentially endangered the teaser him/herself, then I would probably warn the aggressor of the potentially dangerous nature of the cornered/fearful wolf.
    • ...How would you react to the following scenario: Your family is driving down a long, winding, mountainous highway at midnight. You've been at it for about three hours now; you’re drowsy and beginning to doze off in the back seat. It's a very dark, starless night, and suddenly your high beams reflect in the wide eyes of a crossing deer. Your car swerves violently to avoid it. It pitches and begins to roll violently, over and over, breaking the steel barrier at the shoulder. You bounce over the lip of a twenty foot cliffside and proceed to create a path of destruction down the steep, tree-filled terrain. Finally, the momentum subsides. You black out, whether form injury or death you are unsure.

      When you eventually awaken, you find yourself sitting upside-down and still buckled into your seat. It is day, but dark; the car has sunk deep into the forested ravine below; branches stick through the broken glass in front of your face. The frame of the car has been dented to the point where you cannot move your legs or your right arm. You can't see the front of the vehicle either; it appears a tree has impaled the roof, and split the car in two. You taste dry blood on your lips; your nose is broken. You have been out for three days now, and are thirsty. The parent in the passenger seat is alive too, and fully mobile. They can even get out of their side of the car, with a good hours worth of work. They inform you that all the others are dead, and inaccessible. No one has a phone they can locate or reach. The parent appears to have suffered some PTSD, as they seem unable to sit still or yell for help in a loud voice.

      A scratching sound comes from your window side. You turn your head the best you can to see an off-white paw attempting to scratch away at shards of broken glass, creating a small opening the size of a baseball. To your utter horror and disbelief, you can hear the beasts heavy panting and watch as droplets of saliva hit the surrounding foliage with a plat plat sound, dripping off of a yellowed set of canines. Further off, multiple sets of paw steps can be heard tramping the foliage around the car. The sound of thier noses sniffling your dried blood sends tingles up your spine.

      Your passenger-side parent recoils in fear. The car rocks just a little, apparently still suspended on a slope. A good jolt might move it, but you have nother ten feet of slope before you hit the fast-moving, neck-high river...
    I apologize for the long, slightly unbelievable and gruesome scenario. I just got started, and couldn't stop writing ^^’!

Re: How would you react to...

Posted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:46 am
by La Striata
Tonbei wrote:
  • ...How would you react to the following scenario: Your family is driving down a long, winding, mountainous highway at midnight. You've been at it for about three hours now; you’re drowsy and beginning to doze off in the back seat. It's a very dark, starless night, and suddenly your high beams reflect in the wide eyes of a crossing deer. Your car swerves violently to avoid it. It pitches and begins to roll violently, over and over, breaking the steel barrier at the shoulder. You bounce over the lip of a twenty foot cliffside and proceed to create a path of destruction down the steep, tree-filled terrain. Finally, the momentum subsides. You black out, whether form injury or death you are unsure.

    When you eventually awaken, you find yourself sitting upside-down and still buckled into your seat. It is day, but dark; the car has sunk deep into the forested ravine below; branches stick through the broken glass in front of your face. The frame of the car has been dented to the point where you cannot move your legs or your right arm. You can't see the front of the vehicle either; it appears a tree has impaled the roof, and split the car in two. You taste dry blood on your lips; your nose is broken. You have been out for three days now, and are thirsty. The parent in the passenger seat is alive too, and fully mobile. They can even get out of their side of the car, with a good hours worth of work. They inform you that all the others are dead, and inaccessible. No one has a phone they can locate or reach. The parent appears to have suffered some PTSD, as they seem unable to sit still or yell for help in a loud voice.

    A scratching sound comes from your window side. You turn your head the best you can to see an off-white paw attempting to scratch away at shards of broken glass, creating a small opening the size of a baseball. To your utter horror and disbelief, you can hear the beasts heavy panting and watch as droplets of saliva hit the surrounding foliage with a plat plat sound, dripping off of a yellowed set of canines. Further off, multiple sets of paw steps can be heard tramping the foliage around the car. The sound of thier noses sniffling your dried blood sends tingles up your spine.

    Your passenger-side parent recoils in fear. The car rocks just a little, apparently still suspended on a slope. A good jolt might move it, but you have nother ten feet of slope before you hit the fast-moving, neck-high river...
I apologize for the long, slightly unbelievable and gruesome scenario. I just got started, and couldn't stop writing ^^’![/list]
I think I'd take my chances getting out of the car and trying to chase the wolves off. After all, you can't fight gravity. I'd keep my back to the car, to avoid any of them sneaking up on me (assuming they are that far habituated) and wave one of the glass shards from the windscreen at them.

Okay, you live in a state/country where wolves have never occurred. However, wolves are native to a neighbouring state/country, and have started colonising yours. The local authorities are having a vote on how to deal with the matter. How would you vote? Would you welcome the wolves as a new addition to your local fauna, or would you advocate their relocation/destruction?

Re: How would you react to...

Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:37 pm
by BestWolfForever
i say i would get a bunch of surgeries to make me look like a wolf and join them......jk.
i mean i had a dream like that... so ya.
but if i couldnt do that i would... vote to let them stay.

how would you react to...
a pack of wolves attacking you?

Re: How would you react to...

Posted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:19 pm
by A Needlepoint Dreary
[Though it's unlikely, wolves ARE animals, so it could happen.]

I suppose i would fight them off as best i could. If i had to kill them i'd take any opportunity to do so. Being eaten by wild animals isn't exactly the way i want to die .3.

How would you react to a wolf being inside your house?

Re: How would you react to...

Posted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:25 pm
by Nordue
  • "LOCK THE DOORS, Jimmy!"

    I joke, I joke. I need sleep^^.

    Ahem. I would most likely haul bum out of my house, and pray I that can get the dog out too before she realizes that the wolf is there. Because if she does, I probably won't be able to stop her from confronting it in time. Wolf snack would be her likely fate, although my dog is fifty pounds; she might offer decent resistance for a bit first. I am not too worried about my other family members. I think they would have a similar mindset to me: get out and call animal control. And try to snap pics for Twitter and Facebook from the window :P .

Re: How would you react to...

Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:20 pm
by Koa
Don't forget to post a question, too. :wink:

You are (somewhere) in the wilderness. You've parked your car on some land near the road (which is elevated/the area is mountainous) and walk over to the guard rail to look at the view, as the road is quiet today. You decided to then walk around a bit, only to return and find a wolf investigating your car. How would you react?

Re: How would you react to...

Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:02 pm
by La Striata
Koa wrote:Don't forget to post a question, too. :wink:

You are (somewhere) in the wilderness. You've parked your car on some land near the road (which is elevated/the area is mountainous) and walk over to the guard rail to look at the view, as the road is quiet today. You decided to then walk around a bit, only to return and find a wolf investigating your car. How would you react?
Take a snapshot, then chase it off.

You go out and stroll around a geological survey area/oil field in Canada/Alaska/Russia, and find wolves eating from a landfill. What do you do? Ignore them (take photos, whatever...) or do you report it to forestry officials?

Re: How would you react to...

Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:36 pm
by Nordue
  • Oh, right :shock: ! Sorry Koa. I guess I really was tired there!

    Well, after overcoming my inital excitement at seeing my first wild wolf in person, I would probably try to get a picture or two in :P . I suppose I wouldn't do anything about thier presence unless the wolves appeared to have broken into a landfill that was previously off-limits. Realistically, its a lot of hassle to notify authorities of anything, and wild wolves taking advantage of an availible food source might not be worth the possible paperwork and drive. But that depends on the contents and type of landfill too. It all depends!

    Now before I forget...
    • (Assuming you can drive). You are driving up and down the lanes of the nearest WALMART parking lot. All the spaces are filled! Grumbling, you head to the single row of spaces left at the back of the building. People dislike parking there because it is near the dumpsters and borders near the edge of a busy highway. Between the fence of the lot and the highway are about 100m of dense forest.

      You find a spot in front of a hole in the fence and hop out. Its literally almost 100 degrees outside; you can feel yourself start to sweat almost instantly. The air is quite humid too. As you make a beeline for the front of the building and eventual A.C.), you hear a whimpery squeal from behind one of the massive, strong-smelling dumpsters in the corner. Curious, you wheel it out from the wall to reveal a duo of... wolf pups!

      On closer inspection, they appear to be not taking the heat very well. The first one notices you, and starts to whine faster in fear. The second barely reacts; you wonder if it is sick or even dying. Neither looks old enough to run away or defend themselves.

      While you ponder on what to do, a sudden, terrible growl comes from something very close behind you. You whip around instinctively and find your self face-to-face with the mother wolf! Cornerd between the dumpster and the wall, she is close enough to reach you on two bounds...

Re: How would you react to...

Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:13 pm
by SilentRain
I would show some kind of submission thing to her, such use my hands as ears and move them, and then just back away carefully to my car and drive away. I'd probably call animal control after that, a wolf shouldn't be that close to humans with pups.

How would you react to a wolf stalking a cow on your farm?