Discuss wolves (news, sightings, etc.).

Moderators: Isela, Koa

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Wolf pack in Washington now a target

Post by Koa » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:34 pm

Hey everyone,
As a few of you know, the wolves in Washington State have been re-cooperating recently and new packs have formed across the state; however, even with all of the wolves' growth, it will not protect them from the conflicts they must face. Unfortunately, one of the newer wolf packs has been adapting to the diet of livestock, which has resulted in consequences for the pack.
Washington wolf pack targeted for elimination
Wolves roaming B.C. and Washington border area turn to livestock as food source
CBC News

A wolf pack that ranges south from the Canadian border into northeast Washington has been targeted for elimination by the state’s Department of Fish and Wildlife, despite protected status for the animals.
The grey wolf, seen here in a file shot, is making a recovery in Washington state, but a pack that has been preying on livestock has been targeted for elimination. The grey wolf, seen here in a file shot, is making a recovery in Washington state, but a pack that has been preying on livestock has been targeted for elimination. (U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service/Associated Press)
Read more at: http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2012 ... ation.html
YOU SAY YOU WANT TO GET BETTER AND YOU DON'T KNOW HOW.

SilverSparks12
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Re: Wolf pack in Washington now a target

Post by SilverSparks12 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:48 pm

Thankyou for this information, Koa. It would be a shame if the wolves were kicked out of their home. :( but it would be a good thing for the ranchers there.
~Larkstar of The Four Clans

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:31 pm

SilverSparks12 wrote:Thankyou for this information, Koa. It would be a shame if the wolves were kicked out of their home. :( but it would be a good thing for the ranchers there.
At this point, it will probably happen so long as they can track down the pack. I'd like to point out that the wolves aren't being "kicked out," but rather destroyed (killed) due to them preying/relying on livestock. While it is a shame, I do not seeing it harming the progress of Washington's wolves, either.

skullet
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Location: training for a war in my room and preparing to make prepoations

Post by skullet » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:05 pm

Tnx but im in fury now if they kill all the wolves there im gonna do what no person don before u no that movie how to train ya dragon well i will show that the wolves are not a threat maby they preay on livestock cauz there food and home are gone so no im gonn help them critters and beat thm at ther owne game :evil:

True srry for the mild gearkeness :oops:
Last edited by skullet on Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am the inventor of the night i am what even death is afraid of i am a fire ball set to destory they call me Scar Fire

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:09 pm

skullet wrote:Tnx but im in fury now if they kill all the wolves there im gonna do what no person don before u no that movie how to train ya dragon well i will show that the wolves are not a threat maby they preay on livestock cauz there food and home are gone so no im gonn help them critters and beat thm at ther owne game :evil:
Wolves as a whole are not going anywhere. I wouldn't waste your energy and time on getting upset; there are thousands of wolves in the United States alone, tens of thousands in Canada, Russia, and a bunch of other places.

Andoria
Pup
Pup

Post by Andoria » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:28 pm

That's awful, those ranchers losing livestock. Hopefully a solution can be found soon. I wonder why it's this pack in particular? Are there other predators in the area that may be using all the natural food sources?
Actually, I'm a dog. But wolves are cool too.
My MP is Andoria, of course.
I'm an artist! Please visit my DA at mori101.deviantart.com :)

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:48 am

Andoria wrote:That's awful, those ranchers losing livestock. Hopefully a solution can be found soon. I wonder why it's this pack in particular? Are there other predators in the area that may be using all the natural food sources?
The wolves probably had plenty of food, but grew accustomed to cattle because it was whatever was easiest for them at that time. There was a study awhile ago that investigated wolves' cattle diet in Alberta, so you may find it interesting.
http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.p ... e#p1753442

Return to “General Wolf Discussion”