Wolf pack previously targeted in Washington down by 2

Discuss wolves (news, sightings, etc.).

Moderators: Isela, Koa

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Wolf pack previously targeted in Washington down by 2

Post by Koa » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:06 pm

Here's an update on the situation in Washington, where the Wedge Pack was previously targeted for elimination due to the wolves preying on livestock.

Previous article:
Wolf pack in Washington now a target
http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=68516
State kills 2 wolves in northeast Wash.
The Associated Press
Published: Tuesday, Sep. 25, 2012 - 5:18 pm

SEATTLE -- Officials say two wolves have been killed by a state hunter flying in a helicopter in northeast Washington.

The two animals are part of a pack the state Department of Fish and Wildlife is going to eliminate after the wolves preyed on livestock in remote grazing areas on the Canadian border.
Read the full article here: http://www.sacbee.com/2012/09/25/485472 ... rylink=cpy
YOU SAY YOU WANT TO GET BETTER AND YOU DON'T KNOW HOW.

calxmity
WQ Report Team Retiree
WQ Report Team Retiree

Re: Wolf pack previously targeted in Washington down by 2

Post by calxmity » Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:08 pm

Hmm... not the greatest thing to happen to the wolves, but gotta have livestock, huh? Haha.
green - cavetown

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:20 pm

Lit wrote:Hmm... not the greatest thing to happen to the wolves, but gotta have livestock, huh? Haha.
The wolves in Washington will be fine.
A lot of people don't seem to realize the deeper importance of livestock... it's not just money lost but it is mainly the ranchers' livelihoods on the line, too, and their future work is affected by wolves preying on said livestock.

WolvesAndSpiders
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by WolvesAndSpiders » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:48 pm

That's a bit sad, but it had to happen, i guess. Ranchers got to have their livestock, and wolves need food. There will always be some sort of conflict... A bit sad though.
☽pills don't help, but it sure is funny☾
undercover-mcr-peach.tumblr.com
Icon © LupinzPack

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:52 pm

WolvesAndSpiders wrote:That's a bit sad, but it had to happen, i guess. Ranchers got to have their livestock, and wolves need food. There will always be some sort of conflict... A bit sad though.
The wolves should be perfectly capable of hunting other game, but they are also opportunists, so keep that in mind. It is indeed unfortunate, but these kinds of issues will always be around so long as humans and animals, not just wolves, exist on this earth.

matt hair
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by matt hair » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:10 pm

thats awful but i can see both sides, then again if farmers actually built wolf proof wall like they did here in england then there is less chance of killing.
ive noticed this mistake quite alot when watching wolf documentries, that farmers use simple wire and post fencing but is that not kind of inviting the wolves in? i mean if you can afford to keep cattle or sheep then they can afford to put up a descent fence of wall.
ps. i dont mean any affence to any farmers, as i am one myself.xx

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:44 pm

matt hair wrote:thats awful but i can see both sides, then again if farmers actually built wolf proof wall like they did here in england then there is less chance of killing.
ive noticed this mistake quite alot when watching wolf documentries, that farmers use simple wire and post fencing but is that not kind of inviting the wolves in? i mean if you can afford to keep cattle or sheep then they can afford to put up a descent fence of wall.
ps. i dont mean any affence to any farmers, as i am one myself.xx
Wild wolves currently do not reside in England/Great Britain... they were exterminated a long time ago. The population of wild wolves in the United States has recovered from a decade or so ago; thus, implementing such methods as you described aren't always plausible for the entirety of farmers and ranchers, given the wolves' widespread recovery.

matt hair
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by matt hair » Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:14 pm

yeah fair enough plus i know there are no wild wolves left here in england but i was just trying to understand why they dont use the techniques mentioned but i see your point

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:44 pm

matt hair wrote:yeah fair enough plus i know there are no wild wolves left here in england but i was just trying to understand why they dont use the techniques mentioned but i see your point
Again, the population in the United States is fairly large compared to its prior state years ago (though not as expansive as the wolf populations in Canada and elsewhere), so non-lethal methods aren't always a plausible method of dealing with things when there's more wolves and thus more potential problems/and/or residental/rural encounters.

Return to “General Wolf Discussion”