Moderators: Isela, Koa

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Stray female wolf makes home in islands

Post by Koa » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:12 pm

Staqeya the wolf returns to islands off Oak Bay
By Judith Lavoie, Times Colonist September 26, 2012

The wolf that spent much of the summer on Discovery Island is now on Chatham Island. After the animal swam to Trial Island last month, it was hoped it had reached southern Vancouver Island and returned to wilderness areas.

A lone wolf is back on Chatham and Discovery islands, looking sleek and healthy and believed to be building a den.

The wolf was first seen on Discovery Island this summer, forcing the temporary closing of the provincial park, and was then on Trial Island, just off Oak Bay, last month.
Read the full article here: http://www.timescolonist.com/news/Assau ... z27hsci5dN

EDIT: BlackWarrior has kindly pointed out a documentary pertaining to the lives of wolves that live on the coast in British Columbia, so I have decided to add the link to the main page to add some insight on the wolves' behavior.
http://www.canadiangeographic.ca/tv/vid ... mber=23055
Last edited by Koa on Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YOU SAY YOU WANT TO GET BETTER AND YOU DON'T KNOW HOW.

Sambhur
Former WQ Moderator

Re: Stray female wolf makes home in islands

Post by Sambhur » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:05 pm

That was an interesting read! I didn't know wolves could live on their own, on an island like that, let alone be able to swim from island to island. It sounds like she has a good life on the island, although it's a shame that she'd probably be lonely on her own.
freelance artist/illustrator // biology student and wildlife enthusiast // sometimes i draw things for WQ

[instagram] [facebook] [twitter] [prints]
[click here to tell me what to draw]

SilverSparks12
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by SilverSparks12 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:40 pm

That is very interesting, I never knew that wolves could swim so far either.
~Larkstar of The Four Clans

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:45 pm

Jewelz wrote:That was an interesting read! I didn't know wolves could live on their own, on an island like that, let alone be able to swim from island to island. It sounds like she has a good life on the island, although it's a shame that she'd probably be lonely on her own.
SilverSparks12 wrote:That is very interesting, I never knew that wolves could swim so far either.
Actually, the wolves of Isle Royale are an example of a group of wolves isolated on said island, which, as you can imagine, has led to some problems, if you're interested in looking into that.Thanks for your comments. :)

BlackWarrior
Former WQ Moderator

Post by BlackWarrior » Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:37 pm

I've actually seen some sort of documentary about these wolves. It was more focussed on those living on the mainland, but it did talk about wolves on the islands and briefly covered their living habits. It's quite interesting, and this female seems to have figured out how to avoid the obstacles. Neat share, Koa!
Not all who w a n d e r are l o s t

Community Moderator ( April 2012 – July 2015 )
WQ Report Team ( 2012 – 2013 )
User of the Month ( December 2011 )

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:50 pm

BlackWarrior wrote:I've actually seen some sort of documentary about these wolves. It was more focussed on those living on the mainland, but it did talk about wolves on the islands and briefly covered their living habits. It's quite interesting, and this female seems to have figured out how to avoid the obstacles. Neat share, Koa!
Really? If it isn't already, feel free to share it in Wolf Multimedia. I'd love to take a look at it. Thank you. :)

BlackWarrior
Former WQ Moderator

Post by BlackWarrior » Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:59 pm

I managed to track down my post from a while back in the Wolf Documentaries topic. ^^ I may be mistaken, but if I remember correctly, it was in similar areas.
BlackWarrior wrote:I found another interesting document called
"Secrets Of The Coast Wolf." Maybe it was included in earlier posts but here is the info.

In the towering forests of the raincoast of British Columbia, a group of scientists have made a new discovery. But what they are learning is something the natives here have known for generations.

Biologist Paul Paquet, along with a handful of dedicated scientists have found a new subspecies of the gray wolf. Unlike its brothers that roam across North America on the open plain, this wolf swims, fishes for salmon and hops from island to inlet through water and rough terrain. The coast wolf could leave and expand its territory, but it does not because it knows, like the Heiltsuk First Nations people who share the land and water, that there is no place like this on earth.

As long as there has been the wolf in Bella Bella, there has been the Heiltsuk, a traditional First Nations culture that has celebrated the spirits of the land and animals, including the coast wolf. The lush forests, calm inlets and the mountains around Bella Bella are a living eden. In fact, there is more biodiversity in this area than anywhere on earth - even the mighty Amazon rainforest.

Canadian Geographic goes on the trail to this unique place where science and traditional knowledge intersect and are working together to unravel the secrets of this unique wolf subspecies and the world they inhabit.

Source: http://www.canadiangeographic.ca/tv/vid ... mber=23055

I have actually watched this one on animal planet and I must say it was very interesting. ^^

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:03 pm

Thank you! I'll add the link to the first post and the informatin that goes with it so users can take a look at it if they are interested.

BlackWarrior
Former WQ Moderator

Post by BlackWarrior » Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:13 pm

Awesome, thanks! Great idea Koa! :)

Atlatl
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Atlatl » Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:38 pm

Those are some interesting articles! It seems like the Northwestern wolf is alot more friendly to water xP

Return to “General Wolf Discussion”