Russian Woman Attacked By Lone Wolf

Discuss wolves (news, sightings, etc.).

Moderators: Isela, Koa

1BitJay
Name: Jay

Russian Woman Attacked By Lone Wolf

Post by 1BitJay » Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:25 pm

MAKHACHKALA, Russia (AP) — Beware of 56-year-old Russian women with axes.

A lone wolf attacked Aishat Maksudova outside her sister’s home in Russia’s province of Dagestan in the North Caucasus Mountains.

The animal bit the farmer on her arm and her leg and she fell to the ground, crying out for help from other villagers. No one was in earshot. So she reached for an ax she had brought along to repair a fence, and with remarkable aplomb, she hit the wolf over the head several times until his teeth unclenched.

The wolf later died.

Maksudova has become a hero in the Caspian Sea province that lies east of Chechnya. She was still being treated for her wounds Tuesday at a local hospital after last week’s incident. Doctors said she is recuperating well.
Source
http://www.boston.com/news/world/europe ... story.html

I wonder what triggered the wolf to attack?
I ᗯOᑌᒪᗪ ᔕᗩY TᕼᗩT ᗰᑌᔕIᑕ Iᔕ TᕼE EᗩᔕIEᔕT ᗰEᗩᑎᔕ
Iᑎ ᗯᕼIᑕᕼ TO E᙭ᑭᖇEᔕᔕ, ᗷᑌT ᔕIᑎᑕE ᗯOᖇᗪᔕ ᗩᖇE ᗰY
TᗩᒪEᑎT,
I ᗰᑌᔕT TᖇY TO E᙭ᑭᖇEᔕᔕ ᑕᒪᑌᗰᔕIᒪY Iᑎ
ᗯOᖇᗪᔕ
ᗯᕼᗩT TᕼE ᑭᑌᖇE ᗰᑌᔕIᑕ ᗯOᑌᒪᗪ ᕼᗩᐯE ᗪOᑎE ᗷETTEᖇ.

αν;; i forgot </3 ѕιg;; мє
1BitJay

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Re: Russian Woman Attacked By Lone Wolf

Post by Koa » Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:40 pm

Wolves don't always have to have reasons like "rabies" or "ill health" to attack, and unfortunately a lot of folks make it out to be that way. Wolves are predators and sometimes they just attack as predators. It happens.

I'm glad the lady is safe and is recovering, and I hope residents continue to be aware of wolves and be ready to protect themselves if they live where wolves do. I'd do the same.
YOU SAY YOU WANT TO GET BETTER AND YOU DON'T KNOW HOW.

1BitJay
Name: Jay

Post by 1BitJay » Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:43 pm

Is the wolf population growing closer to humans in Russia?
I ᗯOᑌᒪᗪ ᔕᗩY TᕼᗩT ᗰᑌᔕIᑕ Iᔕ TᕼE EᗩᔕIEᔕT ᗰEᗩᑎᔕ
Iᑎ ᗯᕼIᑕᕼ TO E᙭ᑭᖇEᔕᔕ, ᗷᑌT ᔕIᑎᑕE ᗯOᖇᗪᔕ ᗩᖇE ᗰY
TᗩᒪEᑎT,
I ᗰᑌᔕT TᖇY TO E᙭ᑭᖇEᔕᔕ ᑕᒪᑌᗰᔕIᒪY Iᑎ
ᗯOᖇᗪᔕ
ᗯᕼᗩT TᕼE ᑭᑌᖇE ᗰᑌᔕIᑕ ᗯOᑌᒪᗪ ᕼᗩᐯE ᗪOᑎE ᗷETTEᖇ.

αν;; i forgot </3 ѕιg;; мє
1BitJay

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:55 pm

JayMist wrote:Is the wolf population growing closer to humans in Russia?
There is an incredibly large amount of wolves in Russia as a whole - around thirty thousand wolves compared to the United State's population, which is under ten thousand, but not as big as Canada's population, either. Russia is also fairly large itself. With the numbers Russia has, wolves are bound to interact with humans in some way, shape, or form regardless.
YOU SAY YOU WANT TO GET BETTER AND YOU DON'T KNOW HOW.

La Striata
Yearling
Yearling

Post by La Striata » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:35 am

Luckily this wolf was acting alone. Not only did that give the woman a chance to fight back, but it also makes hunting down a whole pack unnecessary.
I cannot see that wolves are in any way nobler in character than hyenas- Frederick Selous

Blizzard_Wolf
Pup
Pup

Post by Blizzard_Wolf » Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:53 pm

JayMist wrote:
MAKHACHKALA, Russia (AP) — Beware of 56-year-old Russian women with axes.

A lone wolf attacked Aishat Maksudova outside her sister’s home in Russia’s province of Dagestan in the North Caucasus Mountains.

The animal bit the farmer on her arm and her leg and she fell to the ground, crying out for help from other villagers. No one was in earshot. So she reached for an ax she had brought along to repair a fence, and with remarkable aplomb, she hit the wolf over the head several times until his teeth unclenched.
Perhaps the wolf felt threatened by the axes. It may have thought that the axes was something to hurt it. Also I have heard that attacks have happened on humans because the humans entered their territory.

The wolf later died.
That makes me sad. Although the wolf did attack the lady, It makes me sad that the wolf died.

Good to hear the lady is okay. That's one of the most important things.
Darkness breaks,
Moon awakes,
Night now brings the stars it makes.

Moon beams fall,
Light up all,
From silvery woods there comes a call.

La Striata
Yearling
Yearling

Post by La Striata » Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:19 am

Blizzard_Wolf wrote: Perhaps the wolf felt threatened by the axes. It may have thought that the axes was something to hurt it. Also I have heard that attacks have happened on humans because the humans entered their territory.
Re-read the article: the wolf attacked the woman before she even grabbed the axe. Even if it was scared, why didn't it run away? It's not like a wolf can't outrun an old woman. And what makes you think that this was "wolf territory"? Wolves enter other wolves' and animals' territories all the time.
I cannot see that wolves are in any way nobler in character than hyenas- Frederick Selous

Blightwolf
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

Post by Blightwolf » Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:06 pm

Whether people want to admit or not, it's already been established that wolves all over the globe are losing their fear towards humans (this is proven by biologists such as Mark McNay and Valerius Geist). Habituated wolves are usually perfectly healthy individuals and attack completely unprovoked - they are not rabid, not territorially defensive, protecting offspring, etc. It irritates me that people are always trying to find 'justification' for wolves whenever there is news about a wolf attacking a person. The truth it, healthy wolves have been attacking more people than rabid/otherwise non-healthy wolves - there has been a huge decline in rabid wolf attacks over the past couple decades, whereas attacks executed by healthy wolves has been increasing. It's alarming. It's alarming when any type of predatory animal becomes habituated to humans and becomes a threat to human life and health.

I'm glad the woman had the good sense to protect herself, and I'm happy she is safe after this encounter.
AUGUST 2009 USER OF THE MONTH

Redwalker
Yearling
Yearling

Post by Redwalker » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:48 pm

The whole topic is interesting. It is true that wolves are losing their fear of humans. From what I know, until recently, wolves didn't just go up to peopleand kill them. Now, its happening around the globe. Kind of off toppic, but in a way on topic, I watched a documentary about a tiger that was attacking people. They tried to kill it with a group of hunting dogs. I wish I could ever finish these documentaries. I have no clue how it ended. The point is, humans are getting lower and lower on the food chain. Large animals start viewing people and domesticated animals as "easy prey" and their likely isnt a way to stop it. I'm gladthe woman was alright however. As for the wolf, it was simply doing its job...Although the animal's motivation was unclear.
,.°`°.,
xoxo, Gossip Girl
,.°`°.,

Nordue

Post by Nordue » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:09 pm

• I'd like to point out that for as long as humans and animals have crossed each other's territories, there have been confrontations with deadly consequences on both sides. To animals, we are simply another species to compete for resources with. Although I do agree that as human civilization continues expand its range further into wild lands, our confrontations with predators such as wolves will increase too.

Andoria
Pup
Pup

Post by Andoria » Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:28 am

Darn, that woman's tough! I mean, an ax? Holy cow!

A shame what happened to her, but she did what she had to do--fight back. If the wolf was alone it probably wasn't healthy anyways. I'm just glad to hear that she is alright.
Actually, I'm a dog. But wolves are cool too.
My MP is Andoria, of course.
I'm an artist! Please visit my DA at mori101.deviantart.com :)

Nordue

Post by Nordue » Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:54 pm

• I just wan't to point out that a lone wolf doesn't always mean an unhealthy one :) . Some wolves leave their birth packs to find a mate and start their own pack. Although you are still very right Andoria; sick or injured wolves may leave their pack because they simply cannot keep up, or in the case of disease to help prevent the spreading of illness between members.

I'm willing to bet that this wolf did have some degree of habituation to humans. Not to mention an attraction to whatever livestock she was raising at the time. If not that, then maybe some desperation/severe hunger.

calxmity
WQ Report Team Retiree
WQ Report Team Retiree

Post by calxmity » Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:51 pm

Unfortunately, predators will be themselves. Period. No doubt about it. Though, when animals and people meet, theres bound to be accidents.
Blizzard_Wolf wrote:It makes me sad that the wolf died.
That one death had affectly none of Russia's population.... Russia is one of the most populated areas with wolves. This means that the wolves are still safe and aren't going anywhere soon, specifically gray wolves.
green - cavetown

Obsidian Soldier
Pup
Pup

Post by Obsidian Soldier » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:13 pm

Right. But, have you heard of the mauling in Saskatchewan/05? The man died, and the evidence sways towards the likelihood that this horrendous event was caused by wolves. It's certainly difficult to grasp, but I'm thinking that maybe this time 'round, Mr. bear isn't the guy to blame :|

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.

Nordue

Post by Nordue » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:42 pm

• Hey Obsidian Soldier,

Please try to stay with the theme of the topic at hand, which in this case is the specific attack of a lone wolf on a Russian woman. If you would like to create a separate topic for the wolf attack you mentioned within General Wolf Discussion, go for it!

Return to “General Wolf Discussion”